[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /b/ think of Lovecraft and his works/legacy?

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: Lovecraft.jpg (83KB, 969x1281px) Image search: [Google]
Lovecraft.jpg
83KB, 969x1281px
What does /b/ think of Lovecraft and his works/legacy?
>>
File: lovecraft_spots_an_octopus.jpg (20KB, 250x296px) Image search: [Google]
lovecraft_spots_an_octopus.jpg
20KB, 250x296px
Nobody? Not even the obligatory 'hurr durr cthulhu'?

I'm surprised.
>>
Its awesome stuff.
>>
File: Cats-of-Ulthar008.jpg (504KB, 1600x925px) Image search: [Google]
Cats-of-Ulthar008.jpg
504KB, 1600x925px
Last bump then I give up.
>>
UNIMAGINABLE HORRORS

DARKNESS

[spoiler]niggers[/spoiler]
>>
Lovecraft is the shit, was a major influence to how we tell great horror
>>
File: 1382703854659.jpg (47KB, 553x640px) Image search: [Google]
1382703854659.jpg
47KB, 553x640px
Pedantically descriptive, prone to lose momentum in narrative and loses its novelty after you've read three of his works. hurr durr cthulhu you're eldritch abominationfu a shit, azatoth master race.
>>
File: 336346346.jpg (93KB, 960x601px) Image search: [Google]
336346346.jpg
93KB, 960x601px
I have a commemorative necronomicon on the way, as well as a limited eldritch tales volume, both leatherbound.
>>
His work was awesome and he has drawn an great mythology just by writing short stories and novels.

Too bad his friends (such as Franck Belknap Long) were not as good as he was and sometimes stained his work with boring writings (but good ideas).
And I'd like to shit on the face of many peoples who thought making films out of it would be good ideas, like José Luis Alemán.
>>
>>580311270
I feel this was because of his detatchment from reality somewhat, maybe autism or something? He was said to be a very strange boy. Maybe some sort of a 'rain man' effect?

Whatever the case, his literature is revered, even if the novelty does ware off after extended reading.
>>
>>580311567
Yeah, the circle of friends he chose did sort of butt in a little too much on some of his shared literary projects, I'm hoping to get some of his essays on the subject soon.
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 550x367px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 550x367px
>>580309307
Anyone who can make the color grey scary deserves some props, but i definitely see what this >>580311270 articulate anon is saying.

Still he is certainly one of the great American writers. Can't be denied.
>>
He was ok and rode the Gothic wave.
A couple of original ideas but flogging horses in his later work.
>>
>>580309837
>muh atavistic guilt
>muh unseen horrors
>muh mythos

just kidding he's cool but I don't have much to say about him
>>
>>580312112
Great American writers ?? you sh#tiin me ?
>>
Besides his racism, I like him. He's inspired some really great work.
>>
>>580312649
His works weren't realized when he first wrote them, years after his death people found out about him, they thought he was pretty good, then they realized that he'd wrote much more under many a fake alias, and the world went apeshit.

His works were overhyped, and because he'd done so much, nobody delved deep enough to realize the sameness of his works, so it stuck. He was simply 'that good' when he wasn't really all that.
>>
>>580313159
The racism is a shame, but hey, those were the times, and they shaped him.
>>
>>580311270
Yeah, his style is a bit dated but his ideas and intuition on what makes a good story has influenced an enormous amount of writers and film makers.

>>580312012
Some Backgrounds of Fairyland and his other essays are interesting
>>
He copied batman.
>>
>>580313473
Good synopsis but il stick with Poe, Hemmingway, Stienberg, Mahler,Fitzgerald, Not Capote.. he was a c#ck.. King, Straub and Beeton. and yes.. I made the last one up ! Im a Brit by the way
>>
I think i should read more of his work. Any recomendations?
>>
Never read any of his works.

Eldritch is a fantastic game though!
>>
If you want to read something by him one of his short-stories is called "The Re-Animator" its pretty good
>>
Whats the one where the guy climbs up and goes wandering round the Town ? that's pretty good .
>>
'The visitor ?
>>
>>580316010
I second this. Its very, very scary.
>>
>>580309307
Fuckin top storyteller.
>>
Putin in second place with the same % as ebola doctors
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.