[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be 18 >senior at a good highschool >really shitty grades

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7

File: download.jpg (6KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 183x275px
>be 18
>senior at a good highschool
>really shitty grades freshman year (76%)
>got my shit together sophomore year (87%)
>really got my shit together junior year (93%)
>my cumulative GPA is now an 85%
>obviously thats still a shit GPA
>keeping my grades this year (senior year) 95% and above
>doing as many extra curricular activities as I possibly can
>applying to colleges soon
>love chemistry, love studying human behavior
>want to become a psychiatrist
>make bank (160k+ a year) and enjoy my job
>college counselor is too nice to tell me whether or not my dream is actually reachable
>"your GPA might not be too impressive, but colleges love to see growth and you've definitely demonstrated that!"
>sounds like bullshit to me

I need you college fags to be blunt with me. Can I get into a good college and then a med school? I'm persistent, intelligent, and charming as fuck (I'm guessing that helps with interviews). I've just really fucked up half of my high school career. So should I pursue my dream of becoming a psychiatrist or should I find some other shitty major?

I'm cool to answer any questions you may have that might help you develop your opinion.

Whats in it for you? I'll dump nudes of 7/10 grill.
>>
dont worry dude. If you keep up the effort you'll get there. I literally had the same story now Im living the dream.

Any more specific questions? Go to the best college you can get into. But a good cheap state school is 10X better than a slightly better private college/univeristy
>>
oh and dont major in psych. Do a real science. Itll help you the most for the rest of your life and itll help you for the MCAT
>>
you're going to struggle to get into a great college, but a decent one is attainable.

the good news is what college you go to hardly matters as far as getting into medical school. go to an affordable in-state public school, knock your grades out of the park while you're there, and med school is yours.
>>
File: HIHAtDf.png (1MB, 1598x860px) Image search: [Google]
HIHAtDf.png
1MB, 1598x860px
The Permian is a geologic period and system which extends from 298.9 ± 0.2 to 252.2 ± 0.5 million years ago.[5] It is the last period of the Paleozoic Era, following the Carboniferous Period and preceding the Triassic Period of the Mesozoic Era. The concept of the Permian was introduced in 1841 by geologist Sir Roderick Murchison, who named it after the ancient kingdom of Permia.

The Permian witnessed the diversification of the early amniotes into the ancestral groups of the mammals, turtles, lepidosaurs and archosaurs. The world at the time was dominated by a single supercontinent known as Pangaea, surrounded by a global ocean called Panthalassa. The extensive rainforests of the Carboniferous had disappeared, leaving behind vast regions of arid desert within the continental interior.[6] Amniotes, who could better cope with these drier conditions, rose to dominance in lieu of their amphibian ancestors. The Permian Period (along with the Paleozoic Era) ended with the largest mass extinction in Earth's history, in which nearly 90% of marine species and 70% of terrestrial species died out.[7] It would take well into the Triassic for life to recover from this catastrophe[8] Recovery from the Permian-Triassic extinction event was protracted; on land, ecosystems took 30M years to recover.
>>
>>579298143
one step at a time. you can get into a decent college with what youve got (not a great one though) but depending on how much money you/your parents have, i might just opt for state school. whether you get into med school depends on your performance in college so thats down the line. also you can go to state college and transfer to a better one if you are doing really well.

that being said, youre a fucking long way off being a psychiatrist homie. and med school is major $$$ so unless youve got a ton stowed away from selling meth, consider going for a safer bet. do math/engineering/computer science if its not absolutely boring to you, thats where the money is and you can get a (decent) job with a bachelors. then get further education if you wish, or you can work your way up in a company. also with those bachelors degrees if you want to go to grad school for a phd, most places will pay you a meager living stipend so it doesnt cost money like med school
>>
>>579298143
1. Major in a natural science for undergrad
1.5. if you wanna look better for med school, major in something that applies multiple science (biochem, or chemical engineering ect)
2. spend way too much time studying in order to have a gpa well above 3
3. choose any med school youd like
4. profit
>>
>>579298143

If your grades aren't as good, they will be looking at whatever other shit you do on the side (sports, volunteer, etc) so make sure to kill the game in that.

You probably won't get into highest tier ivy league (idk if thats what you're going for) but you still have a > 90% to get into a really good school. There are a a lot of really good schools out there you just have to look.
>>
>>579298143
alright OP if you dont have any questions time for you to commence the dump
>>
>>579299054
>>579299303

Mind if I ask what you do now as a living? And I thought it was necessary to major in Psych to become a Psychiatrist.. like it's optional, but it seems really beneficial. If I'm wrong though, what would be a better thing to major in? Biochem?

>>579299345
I've been told the exact opposite about medical schools. I've heard they care a lot about what college you went to.
>>579299389
Thanks man, really insightful.
>>
>>579298143
and op, you do realize you can use your shitty freshman grades t get into college? when you're writing essays on applications, make up bullshit. your life was a huge struggle back then and you used it to make yxou a better person and have been focusing on school every since. like grades are one thing, but they dont care if you got straight A's in highschool. they just want to know you have the abilities to pass their courses.
>>
I did pretty well in high school but I can honestly say, high school GPA doesn't mean a whole lot. Yes it will impact how many scholarships/grants you get but you can still get into a pretty decent university for decent price.

Something to keep in mind that for any career that requires post-graduate studies (like yours) college performance is a huge measure of if you'll get into graduate school (duh) but I assure you no one will ever look at your high school GPA again after you start college
>>
>>579298143
Your flagship state school is well within reach. It's also probably your best option.

Could you get into a better school? Probably, assuming good scores on your SAT/ACT. However, you won't get into a truly top school, so throw that out of your mind right now.

If you dominate at your flagship state school (especially schools like Michigan, Illinois, even Florida... list goes on), you'll get into med school. Once you go to med school, you'll be set for making money. But the key is this -- at a flagship state school, the opportunities to party hard will be there. You need to stay away from these for the most part. You don't need to be full autist, but you need to get great grades and study hard. You also need to dominate the MCAT.

Would you have an easier time getting into a medical school with an Ivy (or similar) as your undergrad? Absolutely. But that's not an option for you. Those guys proved themselves through high school. You didn't. But you can prove yourself going forward. So do it. Prove you can dominate your state school and you will get into med school. Best of luck, anon.

Source: went to Northwestern undergrad.
>>
Thats good enough to get into college. Worry about med school after college. Med schools wont care about your highschool GPA. Keep As and Bs in college and you should be good. DO NOT get a C in ochem. In EITHER ochem. Actually just dont get Cs in any of the sciences. Do well on your MCATS. Volunteer at hospitals over summers.
>>
>>579300083
dude you can major in interpretive dance and go to med school, as long as you meet the requirements for said med school. psych degrees are shit. ideally you want to major in something that applies multiple sciences and is an actually challenging undergrad major. biochem would be perfect for someone going to med school. buddy i went to high school with wants to be a doctor and hes majoring in biomedical engineering for undergrad. if you take it easy your first four years of college, med schools will notice and will not be impressed.
>>
>>579299770
My family is broke as fuck. Parents are both immigrants from Poland. Dad died when I was 6. Mom took over his shitty manual labor job. We make <40k a year.

I'm fucked as far as money goes but a lot of colleges shoot financial aid out of their asses.
>>
>>579300457
The main take-away is getting into most colleges isn't really hard (so long as it isn't Ivy League or maybe some other big name Private schools, but where you go to graduate school is WAY more important that where you go for your bachelors
>>
>>579300625
That's absolute gold for getting state money. And loans are not a big deal, like it sucks taking out a bunch of money but it's worth it in the long run.
>>
>>579300223
Do this. College applications are just a contest to find out who is the best liar.
>>
>>579300083
Currently in med training. Psych in undergrade is 100% different than medical psych (which is much closer to neurology).

Biochem is def. better to prep you for higher training. But do a science that you are interested in as well. Find some middle ground. I did Neuroscience and it helps on occasion.

My friends that did psych in undergrad wish they took more biochem/pharm now
>>
>>579298143
No you can't get into a good college. Why would you, shit's expensive.

Get a cheap community college pre-med associates, then go to med school in Grenada. Cheap, quality and they take almost anybody.
>>
>>579298143
Think twice before going to med school. There are a lot of unhappy MDs. It's definitely not for everyone. It's a demanding field that entails encountering a lot of hopelessness. Psychiatry is mostly about meds anyway, not really that much about studying human behavior. Behavior is more for psychologists. Being a psychiatrist is not going to be the kind of job you expect. You'll be seeing a lot of crazies, some of them hostile, and prescribing them meds and just shaking your head at the human condition and asking yourself if this mess is really what life is about. But if that's your thing, go for it. The salary won't make you happy if you're ill-suited to the job.
>>
>>579300576
Got ya. I guess I'll major in Biochem then since I genuinely enjoy that shit. I just thought psych was necessary. Appreciate the input, man. Thanks. I'll be dumping the newts real soon. Just don't let the thread be kill.

>>579300489
I'm in NY, NYC to be specific. Theres a bunch of "flagship" schools around here. I don't really know which I'd choose to be the main one.
>>
>>579300083
What college you went to matters very little in admissions. Don't go to the small liberal arts college in the mountains. I'd aim for at least a college that is 5000+ in undergrad students

any smaller and no one has ever heard of you.
>>
>>579300625
very similar story to mine. life is horse shit.
>>
>>579301321
I've had a fairly shit life. Not going to go in depth on that unless you guys really want to hear about it, but, point is, I'm tired of being poor as fuck and since I grew up constantly being miserable, a couple more years of it couldn't hurt since the end result will be me swimming in fucking cash with a prestigious title and higher social status. Like I said before, fucking love science, man. I think medical doctor is the best way for me to go.
>>
>>579301416
That's where I'm semi-fucked. My high school is really focused on sending kids to small colleges since our schools is small as fuck itself. They genuinely frown upon big schools and they wouldn't really be assisting me in the process if they found out I was applying to one. Most of the schools in NY are small anyway.
>>
>>579301927
Just a warning, you literally never stop taking tests and studying. every 10 years you have to get recertified and you will be dirt poor in 300k+ debt by the time you get out.

Medicine is not a get easy rich scheme anymore
>>
>>579302294
That being said if you genuinely like learnign and enjoy working with people on unique problems medicine is the place for you.

prestige is what they give you when they can't pay you enough
>>
>>579302294
Well I know you have to get recertified every several years and all that jazz, and that a career in medicine is one where you're constantly learning, but it's not literally studying and tests so much after med school is it?
>>
File: ella1.jpg (314KB, 1242x1652px) Image search: [Google]
ella1.jpg
314KB, 1242x1652px
she's 18 believe it or not. don't worry about getting v&.
>>
>>579298143
85% is a 8.5 out fo 10. How the fuck is that a "not too impressive GPA". That's some fucked up elitism, I hope it's not how things work there.
>>
>>579302679
Doctors usually take a month off to focus on studying for they're recert.

Residency has anywhere from 2-5 more BIG tests
. ~4 hours of class per week too ontop of clinical training.

Its challenging but if you get into a hospital and love it, dont let the dumb testing scare you away

When you start college I HIGHLY recommend you get some hospital experience. Try an ER or just shadowing. Its priceless and will let you know if this is the right life for you.

Medicine more a lifestyle and less a job.
>>
>>579303025
An 85 is easy as fuck to get. You have to do 3/4 of all your homework and study lightly for tests to obtain an 85% GPA. Colleges know that. That's not elitism, it's realism.
>>
>>579303180
All the tests sound scary as fuck, but I'm sure I could cram for all that shit when the time comes.

And I definitely plan to do an internship with a doctor or volunteer at an ER or something along those lines in college. It's a great way to get hands on experience and med schools probably like to see that I'm taking the initiative. So I will definitely be doing that.
>>
>>579298143
As long as your college is recognizable (i.e. state school, decent private school for what you're interested in, etc.), it doesn't need to be flashy.
If you dominate the grades/courses you need then score really well on the required tests (i.e. MCAT), they'll see you're the real deal even if your school isn't top tier.
>>
Blahblahblah

Post more of the chick.
>>
>>579303971
The tests are hard, but you literally train every day for them. They are a pain, but youl be cool.

And yes, list your shadowing experiencing for the med application, they eat it up at times. It shows that you know what you're asking for (at least as much as you can know).

Dont worry about your HS GPA, it literally wont matter after your first college semester.

any more win for this thread? so much text on a night off is blah
>>
>>579298143
>my cumulative GPA is now an 85%
whats gpa?
>>
File: 1414463343995s.jpg (2KB, 125x93px) Image search: [Google]
1414463343995s.jpg
2KB, 125x93px
>>579304713
GPA = Grade Point Average

>>579304514
Appreciate all the input, man. Really makes me more confident in pursuing my dream, as cheesy as that sounds.

I'll be dumping more newts. Keep the thread alive.
Since were done about college talk, lets make this a teen thread.
>>
>>579305312
>GPA = Grade Point Average
i got only A's in 9th and 10th grade except german. im not rocking in 11th grade but still suck at german and history aswell.
>>
>>579303365
It also makes it impossible to fuck up even once. But of course we're supposing being of the robot type is what's right.

Anyway, even if 85 is easy to get I don't see the need to watch everything below "almost perfect" as shit. I also think your vision of colleges is a little magnified.

Having a shitty year and fucking up is getting a 5-6 or even failing, depending what kind of person you are, when you consider a 76 "a failed year" something's wrong.
>>
File: Photo Oct 13, 6 54 04 PM.jpg (108KB, 639x640px) Image search: [Google]
Photo Oct 13, 6 54 04 PM.jpg
108KB, 639x640px
hottest chick at my school. graduated last year. had the tightest ass on the planet and some junior got to stick his dick in it.
>>
>>579305605
Well theres a bit more to it. I wanted to drop out freshman year, so thats really what made it shit.
>>
>>579305312
glad I could help. And dont be afraid to change paths or question what you're doing. Its all part of the process. Look at PA's too, they have a pretty good deal with a ton less schooling/testing.

Let your family and friends help you as much as they can if you go this route, or any route. Behind ever doctor is a literal squad of family and friends that support and deal with him.
>>
>>579298143
Apply. Your grades are not number 1 on the list. Even if you don't get into your top school, go to a good one, keep your shit together, and transfer. Also, if you're going to grad school, don't focus too much on where you do your undergrad. Have the GPA, the test scores and the experience (internships, research, etc.)
>>
>>579305669
why do you murifags always talk with shit like junior and freshman isntead of just stating the year? its so stupid
>>
>>
>>579305979
PA's?
>>
>>579306267
Physician Assistants (4 years of undergrad and 2 years of grad school)

They work directly under a doc, and can write Rx and treat. Worth considering, they almost got me. Also no malpractice insurance necessary.
>>
>>579298143
Hi OP,

I go to Columbia (medical)

honesty it doesnt matter what you got in highschool
and it doesnt matter what college you go to.
just do well in college. I went to a state school.

So Med schools never look at highschool and they dont even take colleges into consideration much. thanks bye
>>
>>579306251
this brought on radio silence?
>>
>>579306491
Oh, okay. Yeah being a Physician's Assistant sounds like a good path too. I guess it wall really boil down to whether or not I want to spend the extra two years in med school and then do residency. Thanks again, man!
>>
Admissions Counselor for a D1 school here. We really do like to see improvement. Wanting to be a psychiatrist is great, but it has nothing to do with undergraduate admissions. As a former psych student, I can tell you getting into a psych PhD program is more difficult than getting into med school
>>
>>579305669
any more. her or anything?
>>
>>579306959
It's all bullshit man. As a doctor you work all the fucking time and people die on you constantly. Being in medicine is a shit tier life for which you have to work really hard.
>>
since you said you're in NY and you're interested in medicine, you should really consider stony brook dude
>>
There are tons of good colleges that aren't Ivy League. You'll be fine, just don't fuck up in college if you want to get to med school.
>>
>>579300083
Biochem is super interesting, at least to me one of the most interesting subjects there is. If you really like chemistry as you say then that's what you should be doing. If you like it then it should be easy for you to get your degree. As for becoming a doctor, give yourself some time before deciding that.
>>
>>579307254
If I had more of her I'd be jerking off right now. Sadly, I don't. Also don't have much else because I got a new phone. Had thousands of saved pics on my old phone, not enough space on my hard drive to back it all up. Sorry guys.
>>
>>579298143
I'll tell you now, the jobs paying that high are probably taken, student loans are gonna fuck you if you don't find a good enough job to pay them off, it won't fell worth it afterwards and you'll love the job for a while, but it wears off
>>
>thinking a doctor makes bank
>not thinking about outrageous overhead fees, school debt, insurance fees, insurance companies fucking you over
>shiggy diggy doo

Don't do this for the money. REALLY love it. REALLY love taking care of people. Because if you're like 90% of the people on 4chan who are misanthropes, I don't think you'll like being a doctor.

Oh, and don't take a psychology degree. Take a good field like engineering or chem eng for plan B. Making it to med school is tough.
>>
>>579303025
Where are you from, it's really different than grading in Europe. I have some experience in french education, having the equivalent of a 8.5 there makes you really part of the elite. In the states or canada it's really not such a big deal. Easy to achieve if you put some work into it.
>>
>>579308114
not even one more of anything. Man you need a bigger harddrive if this is true
>>
>>579303365
>An 85 is easy as fuck to get. You have to do 3/4 of all your homework and study lightly for tests to obtain an 85% GPA. Colleges know that. That's not elitism, it's realism.
America?
>>
>>579308897
yeah in america it's really easy, not comparable to and 85 in some European countries
>>
File: 1283203235546.jpg (20KB, 204x258px) Image search: [Google]
1283203235546.jpg
20KB, 204x258px
>>579309194
top kek. i supposed i am the elite then
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.