[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

English teachers are a cancer that needs to be eliminated. They

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: 3303s.jpg (31KB, 570x380px) Image search: [Google]
3303s.jpg
31KB, 570x380px
English teachers are a cancer that needs to be eliminated. They are the worst kind of educator out there.
I have never met an English teacher/professor that made a genuine effort to help their students become better at writing or analyzing literature.
Many times they will point out flaws that they know you have no idea how to correct and not make a substantial effort to help you get there.

They're just like so many fanboys out there: They go out of their way to ruin reading and writing for everyone by putting the dissection of literature above the appreciation of the art.

Fuck them all.
>>
I have a degree in English and was an English teacher for a while.

I agree with you.

Although I regret my degree choice for obvious reasons I was lucky to have gotten three really intelligent and thoughtful professors

>out of around 30 total professors.

I would have gotten a degree and not really understood how to write an essay without those three.
>>
>>576412525
>every year of school
>write a persuasive letter about why uniforms or backpacks should be allowed or banned
>>
>>576412525
ahahahahahha
someone sucked at middle school english
try acting like a civilized American and learn our language
>>
No need to be hurt at them. I think children should be taught grammar earlier and sentence structure as opposed to "here go read muh diary I Anne frank" and be told to just write on it. Our education system is fucked as a whole
>>
I have had one good English teacher. He was laid-back and gave the students freedom but still kept control of the class. we spent classes analyzing books he picked out himself and almost never followed the curriculum. We also dissected lyrics in songs he liked and he had impeccable taste in music. on our writing assignments we would try out new styles till we found a style that best suited our abilities and he went through all of our papers and left good actually constructive criticism. The only problem is he set a bar for English teaching for me that could never be reached again.
>>
>>576414561
yeah really don't blame the people when its the system that is broke
>>
>>576412525
Someone just got a bad grade on their English paper, I guaran-fucking-tee it.
>>
File: playingsandyhooky.jpg (115KB, 570x380px) Image search: [Google]
playingsandyhooky.jpg
115KB, 570x380px
>>576412525
>>
>>576414561
When i was a freshman my history teacher was the biggest holocaust shill
he spent a whole month trying to shove all that one sided "muh evil" bullshit in our mind
>>
File: are-you-serious.jpg (67KB, 652x365px) Image search: [Google]
are-you-serious.jpg
67KB, 652x365px
>>576414085

This has nothing to do with the English language.

I'm talking about the Literature aspect. Literature is an art. All these professors don't see it that way. If you turn in an analysis of a piece of writing, and you viewed it differently or observed it's qualities the way that they did, then it means that you are wrong in their eyes.

They're all pretentious fucks that don't understand that art isn't something that can always be broken down to an exact science, much less their own interpretations of it.
>>
>>576414820

Nope. I'm just tired of being told that I should have realized this or that instead of exploring the other possibilities.
>>
I'd agree with you up college and uni, I had 2 in college and 2 in uni and all 4 where genuinely happy to help during office hours and through email when needed. The uni ones even still answer my emails when they havesome time if I need some help (4th uni year now had them 1st and 2nd year)
>>
Nah my high school teacher was great with the analytical part of literature. He was the one that made me realize how awesome English Lit can be.

> he was my freshman teacher
> sophmore teacher I don't care because she blows
> have him again junior, AP(forget the exact name)this time
> different teacher senior year. AP Lit
> he did better with Lit than the AP Lit teacher
>>
>>576412525
That's a bit harsh anon.
>>
>>576412525
I just went back to school after 15 years. I have to take several prerequisite classes, such as English and Math.. My English professor has taught me a lot, and is really understanding and helpful. I think you're making a broad generalization. You haven't met enough English teachers to make such a sweeping statement.
>>
>>576415331
Man, I did two english courses in uni, was getting frustrated with my marks, so I talked to my TA and we got together to help me write Essays. Grades went up and I learned a bunch of things when it comes to writing essays.
I ended up going to another faculty, had to do a couple essays, and everything the English department taught me was marked as a failure to the other faculties.
Writing academically is almost entirely pointless.
>>
>>576412525
For the most part, I agree with you.

But I had a fucking great English teacher junior year of high school. He was one of the best teachers I've ever had.
>>
>>576412525
15 is a rough age, isn't it, Op?
>>
>>576412525
I agree.
>here let me teach you how to write poems
>>
Creative writing class pre 9/11 days. Wrote an essay about niggers and their many uses in todays society. Got an A+ on the paper and sent to councilor for...a talk. Pro-difficulty: teacher was an active member of NAACP.
>>
>>576412525
Fucking this. Every English teacher and professor I've had seemed to get off on completely picking apart papers students submitted for their bullshit class.
>>
>>576417025
Maybe so, but goddamnit my main philosophy in life is to give everyone a fair chance even if they may have wronged you in the past.

But I'm absolutely fed up. I keep hoping that one of my teachers will be more about "what we feel and think about a book" rather than "what I think you should be thinking and feeling about a book"

>>576417160
Exactly, just like art itself, your work is up for interpretation, only your grade depends largely on their opinions.
>>
>>576412525
I have had 4. 5 if you count social sciences. Note I an a genius of English. Unfortunately I am not a math.
>>
>>576417910
I always get praised for my work but even my papers have one or two suggestions and/or corrections. Stop being so sensitive bitch and get better at writing.
>>
>>576415264
Yeah I mean we do a lot of classics in my classes but my retard friends were reading Anne frank and night and the pianist. If they taught all sides of things I wouldn't care but Jesus it was just a bombardment.

Honestly if teachers spent less time on reading and more time on helping each student perfect their writing things would be better
>>
>>576418382
I'm out of school, so I give 0 fucks about being a better writer.
>>
File: 6d3.gif (1MB, 300x163px) Image search: [Google]
6d3.gif
1MB, 300x163px
>>576412525

Nice post OP.
But the last sentence in the beginning paragraph was grammatically incorrect. Here let me show you.

"Many times they will point out flaws that they know you have, but they will not put any effort forth into making sure the mistake is corrected for future projects or assignments"

D-

Nice try faggot.
>>
>>576412525

I agree with you partially. If English teachers focused wholly on formal writing of the kind you find in peer reviewed journals and other high-level educational material, I would be absolutely fine with them.

However, I absolutely cannot get behind dictating an art form to people past the absolute basics of form and function - once you teach that style must be uniform amongst you and all of your peers you have done something horribly wrong.
>>
>>576412525
Most of the time. I became friends with my high school English teacher. He's pretty rad. He has the same bone disease as Abe Lincoln which is cool. I also had a really cool, phenomenal English prof in my second year of college. He was rad too.
>>
File: commander_woof.jpg (39KB, 370x371px) Image search: [Google]
commander_woof.jpg
39KB, 370x371px
>>576418382
Understand that this bitch has literally barred me from class discussions and seminars because she felt that I needed to "dig deeper" or something similar.

The message was clear:
"I'm not even going to allow you to express what you've come up with. I don't agree with or relate to your analysis and therefore don't want to listen to it. I'm in the position of power, endgame little cunt."
>>
I'll admit, I didn't learn a lot from English class, I learned more about spelling and grammar from using Microsoft Word
>>
File: Munch-Munch.gif (315KB, 238x179px) Image search: [Google]
Munch-Munch.gif
315KB, 238x179px
>>576418756

mfw
>>
>>576415331
>They're all pretentious fucks that don't understand that art isn't something that can always be broken down to an exact science, much less their own interpretations of it.

oh man im cross posting this to /lit/

my trip friends over there will get a hoot! Thank you anon for this fun post ; ^)
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.