[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If the Sun teleported next to earth(same distance as the edge

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 26

File: 1402219988608.png (12KB, 684x521px) Image search: [Google]
1402219988608.png
12KB, 684x521px
If the Sun teleported next to earth(same distance as the edge of the moon to earth) for 1 millisecond and teleported back to its original location what would happen?
>>
it'd get hotter
>>
We would all be dead
>>
Our planet would cease to exist
>>
>>550804491
/thread
>>
Heat wave that would burn everything.
>>
Earth will be no more.
>>
at least one side of the earth would be scorched to shit for sure. Really the whole thing would probably just burst into flames.
>>
I wouldn't be allowed to stick earbuds up my butt anymore
>>
we'd never find out how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop
>>
Earth would crack apart from the gravity while the atmosphere catches on fire
It'd explode once we were back to our normal position, killing all life on and around it (ISS would be fucked).
>>
Obama would teleport to the edge of our atmosphere, and using his super erect nipples to bat away the intense solar radiation, sacrificing his life to save us all.
>>
>>550804341
I don't think everyone would die, after all, it will be there for literally 1 millisecond. However, I would imagine that there would be a lot of singed people and fire.
>>
considering that the pistol shrimp can produce heat almost as hot as the sun just here on earth...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpheidae

I don't think heat would be an issue if it's just a millisecond like that.
However, the gravitational pull even for a millisecond might ruin earth or alter the seasons and cycles by throwing it off course.
>>
>>550804341
Not a science fag here, but not sure a single millisecond would actually be long enough for anything significant to happen.
>>
File: Sunset_2007-1.jpg (65KB, 697x495px) Image search: [Google]
Sunset_2007-1.jpg
65KB, 697x495px
>>550805421
A few milliliters of water becoming as hot as the sun != THE ENTIRE FUCKING SUN being next to the entire earth.
>>
The magnetic waves radiating off the sun would fry every last electrical doodad we have made. It would be swell if the exposed half of the population died and the dark side survived.
>>
>>550805020
I think you underestimate how much heat and radiation our bitch ass would get if we were that close to the sun. The atmosphere on the side closest to the sun would get blown right the fuck off while the dark side got to experience that enjoyable feeling of all the air catching fire at once.

In order for us to be aight, we'd need to be there for less than a microsecond.
>>
>>550805626
was using that when talking specifically about the heat produced.

gravity is a different matter
>>
File: 1342063139421.jpg (51KB, 460x453px) Image search: [Google]
1342063139421.jpg
51KB, 460x453px
>>550804825
>crack apart from the gravity
nigga lrn2physics

mass doesn't just disintegrate when near a much larger group of mass. it merely is attracted.

it may possibly disrupt gravitational pull all over the earth, squashing people, cars, knocking over buildings, etc...

>>550804341
OP, UV radiation and solar wind would tear everyone to shreds. pick a shorter, more interesting duration, say a nanosecond, or a picosecond.

>>550805020
You are literally and idiot. Humans can sense a basic change of light or sound over the duration of 5 milliseconds with ease. If the Sun was present for 1 ms, it would still be EXTREMELY noticeable. 1 ms is an incredibly long time in physics.

>singed

No, literally. The Earth would boil, the atmosphere would disintegrate, and it's short duration of gravitational pull would rip skyscrapers, buildings and trees sideways, crush cars and houses, possibly liquefy organisms, etc.

>tl;dr ITT: /b/tards that think that 1 ms is a very short amount of time.
>>
it would get nice and crispy on the outside, while keeping all the juices inside
>>
Better question, if the sun were to suddenly explode, would we be able to see it before everything we've ever known is effectively destroyed?
>>
>>550804341

OP, I just came into this thread to say I like how you think. Those types of weird hypotheticals are something I think about a lot too.

Carry on.
>>
>>550806152
You lrn2physics, dickhead. Gravity on one side of the earth would be stronger than the other, which would be fine if we weren't right fucking next to it.
>>
>>550806068
Yes, I know. But you're still missing the point somehow.
>>
>>550806440
No.
It's called the speed of light nigga
>>
>>550806817
So the shockwave would reach the earth before the light? Is that what you're saying?
>>
Instant dissolvtion of the planet
>>
>>550805421
Yeah, I can't work out the tidal forces, but the earth alone heats up and affects the moon from the difference in the gravitational pull between one side and the other. It would probably trigger some insane earthquakes at least. Also, the effect of gravity travels at the speed of light, so in a millisecond, the effect will only have traveled 299792 meters (299 Km) by the time the Sun returns and The average distance from Earth to the Moon is 384,400 km. This might mean the effect won't be full blown and will only pass in a millisecond wave.
>>
>>550806978
There is no shockwave, there's nothing for one to travel through.
If the sun exploded, it would explode at light speed and the first thing we'd know about it is when we got hit.
>>
>>550804341
this question is awesome
>>
Does the earth have a set amount of water that's been recycled from the beginning of it's existence? If some dickass aliens dropped by and took a decent amount for themselves, would the earth have a way of recovering it?
>>
>>550804853
He died so that we may live
>>
File: wat.jpg (124KB, 800x564px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
124KB, 800x564px
>>550807206
wat
>>
What about the death caused by instanteous transportation? I think that would kill most people before the gravitation/heat.
>>
File: 1402155175654.jpg (33KB, 500x686px) Image search: [Google]
1402155175654.jpg
33KB, 500x686px
Someone ask another question
i like this
>>
>>550807349
No.
>>
>>550807167
This wave of "Sun" might strip away some of our atmosphere too though, I'm not sure if the gasses would be propelled or if they need a steady solar wind for that.
>>
>>550807206
There would have to be some sort of shockwave, consisting of whatever gasses are thrown out by the explosion. Of course, that isn't what would destroy us. Most likely we'd succumb to the effects of gravitational changes. Thus, would the change in gravity actually affect us before the light of the event itself?
>>
>>550807349
There is essentially a set amount of water forever, yes. Meteorites are the only way, normally, that new material gets added to Earth, and they're not made of water. Comets are. If a comet hit the Earth we'd get new water. But if a comet hit the Earth, that would be hella bad news.
>>
File: idiot.png (4KB, 517x213px) Image search: [Google]
idiot.png
4KB, 517x213px
>>550806671
It doesn't matter what distance it is away from the Sun, it's going to stay a rock until other variables change that state (i.e. Temperature, Collision...)

Just like asteroids, retard.

Bodies of rock don't just explode before hitting a much larger celestial body due to gravity. In fact, due to centripetal force, it is more likely to be under even further compression (clouds condense into planets for this very reason).

The only explosion that could happen is the disintegration of the terrestrial body due to temperature levels. Whether or not the distance from the moon away from the Sun is enough to annihilate the Earth into dust, well... the answer would help solve this thread's debate a lot, now wouldn't it? I'm not a fucking astrophysicist. Go fuck yourself.
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 599x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 599x720px
>>550804341

I'm not pretty sure, but i think that from that distance, it would be the end of earth.

I mean, the ultimate gravitional pull of the sun would rip the earth in pieces, also the amound of energy would be so great from that distance, it would burn every thing that lives, evaporate all water and burn all oxigen.

All of this happens in less than 2 seconds (because of the distance)
>>
>>550807653
>>550808069

kthx
>>
HOLY FUCK U GUYUS ITS IS A TRICK QUESTION THE SUN ISNT EVEN ALLOUD TO TELEPORT
>>
>>550806152
Look at the power output, dumbass. We're talking a 1/1000 of a second. Comparing the distance from the sun to the moon, we'd receive roughly 152100x the amount of energy we usually do for one millisecond. The earth receives roughly 1400 W/m^2 of energy from the sun. So for a single square meter, it normally receives 1.4 J/m^2 of energy each millisecond. Multiplying that out, all visible portions of the Earth will receive about 213 kJ of energy per square meter. This is enough energy to raise 51 kg of water by 1 degree C. Water's density is 1,000 kg/m^2. It could only raise .051 m of a 1 m^2 patch of water by 1 C if all of the light were absorbed.

It wouldn't have as big of an effect as you think. The biggest threat would be the atmosphere turning into a giant flash bulb for an instant.
>>
>>550806671
>Gravity on one side of the earth would be stronger than the other

And what is your evidence for that?

It would be to an extent, but the difference in gravitational pull between the far side and the sun-facing side would not be enough to cause it to somehow "pull apart" just because one side would be accelerating in relation to the other if they were totally split and separated.

But they're not. They're one piece, pulling and tugging on itself to go in a particular direction. The sun isn't as strong as a black hole, it's not going to be spaghettify.

>What's that?
>Spaghettification actually maintains the body as one consistent, strung-out object?

Well if a black hole can't spontaneously disintegrate a body of mass, how the fuck can the sun?
>>
>>550806671
The difference in gravitational potential would be minor due to the immense size of the sun. The only thing that it will do is result in 1 m/s of immense gravity pointing towards the sun that affects everything almost equally. It wouldn't really have a shearing effect.
>>
>>550808941

What about the gravitional wave? It woul be two of it, pretty sure it would mess with the earth's orbit pretty badly.
>>
>>550809362
I couldn't say. Powerful gravitational waves are hard to come by. I'm pretty sure it would merely be the effect that I mentioned in the post above you. The overall influence on the Earth's orbit would be restricted to that .001 seconds, so it wouldn't be too major despite the magnitude of the effect.
>>
>>550804341
are we assuming it isnt during any solar activity, because if there was a solar flare we would die.
>>
File: 1365032386390.jpg (35KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1365032386390.jpg
35KB, 400x400px
>>550808941
>Calculates raw energy
>Badly
>Doesn't take into account UV radiation
>Doesn't take into account solar winds
>Both of which would disastrously ruin your poor Rebbit excuse for a theory
>Doesn't take into account the surface area of the sky occupied by the sun

You're doing those calculations based purely on distance.
>152100x
>Took the distance from the sun to the earth
>Divided by the distance from the moon to the earth
>Failed trigonometry and geometry in the process

nice.

>mfw
>>
>>550804341
everyone might get a little sunburnt
>>
>>550804341
> posit a purely imaginary & hypothetical situation
> expect serious answers based in fact

If someone held a knife to my mothers throat and told me to have sex with my brother... I would have sex with myself.
>>
File: QdRIw.gif (931KB, 250x197px) Image search: [Google]
QdRIw.gif
931KB, 250x197px
>>550808941
>>
>>550805441
nigga is you on the pipe?
>>
>>550804341
Many things would happen simultaniously.
-gravity would pull Earth out of its current orbit (there's a chance 1 ms would be enough for them to collide)
-corpuscular radiation would be too dense for Van Allen belts to stop so we'd see aurora all around us and tiny dots would flash in front of our eyes...
-...if we wouldn't be blind by then because visible light...
-...but, more importantly, if we weren't evaporated due to some 5000 K heat
In the meantime, the atmosphere ignites and gets blown away thanks to the copuscular radiation mentioned above (trade name: solar wind) along with the now gasous water
-finally, the crust blows up due to thermal elongation and the remains of our beloved planet start orbiting their killer
The chunks remain white-hot for a couple of thousands of years because vacuum has no thermal conductivity.
Some pieces may turn into comets far, far away.
>>
Sun is not schizophrenic so that wouldn't happen, bullying small planets is wrong, the universal police would interfere anyway for moving faster than the speed of light
>>
>>550809810
It's a rough figure for a rough scenario. Also, the calculation should at least somewhat similar to the actual numbers. I squared the difference in the distances as per the inverse square law, so the flux figure should be somewhat comparable to the actual figure. This also accounts for the amount of the sky that the sun occupies.

I'm assuming no major solar activity since that would be completely random and unnecessarily complicates the scenario.

It's obvious from your post that you aren't all that proficient when it comes to physics and math.
>>
instant lavaplanet
>>
>>550810305
I don't know anon. You might wanna check your calculations
>sun distance from earth to moon
>1 ms
>enough time for the earth to fall into the sun's surface
>implying earth could move faster than the speed of light

The fucking.
Light.
It takes 1500 ms to get to the Earth from the Moon.

That means it would take >1500x the amount of time you suggested it could take.

>meaning all of your other opinionated "extrapolations" are shit
>>
If the Earth teleported to the Sun, nothing would happen because it takes light longer than a millisecond to travel that distance.

If the Sun teleported to the Earth for a millisecond, you'd get some shit.
>>
>>550810159
Yeah, yeah, there are a lot of things that I'm not taking into account, but I'm pointing out that 1 ms is not enough to do the amount of damage that people are expecting.
>>
>>550810616
The sun still radiates energy over the course of a millisecond, which remains after the Sun itself teleports back. You're getting a millisecond's worth of sunblast at that proximity.
>>
>>550810305

> thre's a chance 1 ms would be enough for colision

U wot? Are you insane? Earth needs to move faster than fucking light to colide with the sun from that distance/time.
>>
>>550809158
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_force
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roche_limit

What an idiot
>>
>>550810616
It was but a wild guess. This applies to the rest as well. One thing is sure though: hell would break loose.
>>
>>550804341
Earth's oceans would boil and the surface temp would be too hot for the human race (and most likely the rest of the animal kingdom)
>>
>>550810681
Good point. But OP here definitely said "Sun teleporting."
>>
it'd fuck up our orbit
>>
you could also use the raw energy output of the sun
3.8×10^26 J/s then use a simplified calculation
(earth absorbed) = (sun emitted)*(earth area)/(sun area)
distance is ignored
3.17*10^22 J/s
divide by 1000 for miliseconds
3.17*10^19 J
that is a lot of energy
approx 100 x larger than krakatoa and 10^5 x larger than the earth's normal solar absorption during the same milisecond
>>
>>550810681
thats not how it works at all. there is already photons en route, the earth would get hit by those, not the fresh ones leaving the surface of the sun
>>
>>550811107
Yeah, but now that I think about it, I'm actually wrong. There's a constant output of energy from the Sun, so you'd immediately receive the radiation that was there, at that moment, one moon-distance from the Sun.
>>
>>550811418
Ignoring the distance increases the effect by a several orders of magnitude.
>>
millisecond aint long enough to kill everything or give the gravitational pull time to do shit
earth would be okay but over a couple seconds yea
>>
>>550804341

We won't ever see shitposting like this again.
>>
>>550804341
this is a really cool question OP
id like some actually scientific minds to find this out, instead of these retards bickering with their fuckery
>>
>>550811418
To be specific, it increases the effect by 1.47x10^17 times.
>>
>>550811584
yup this is like a maximum calculation for worst case
>>
>>550804341
put your hand in a saucepan full of boiling water for 1 millisecond and report back faggot
>>
File: 1989729.jpg (106KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
1989729.jpg
106KB, 300x360px
>>550811748
elaborate
>>
>>550807783
the mass of the sun would not disappear, it's still there, but exploding, so no change on gravity before the radiation obliterates earth.
>>
>>550808603
What if it uses cheat codes?
>>
>>550810305
It wouldn't affect the earth's orbit because sun's surface gravity is only 274 m/(s^2). 274 m * (.001^2) = 274 m * .000001 = .000274 m = .274 millimeters.
The primary concern is atmospheric heat and even then it should be small, since I don't remember chemistry I'll leave it to someone else to calculate the mass and heat capacity of the atmosphere and see how much the sun would heat up the atmosphere, but again, I bet it's minuscule. EMP might be a factor though. We wouldn't even notice it, and there would probably be conspiracy theories about aliens messing with the technology
>>
>>550812168
Almost nothing would happen. I think the fastest a human being can do that is like 100 milliseconds (putting hand in and getting out)
>>
>>550804853
/thread
>>
>>550811965
one of us must be wrong, there is no way the energy per millisecond close to the sun would be less than the normal energy per millisecond at the current distance
>>
>>550812617
particles loses energy the more distance they travel, so if the energy source is closer you will recieve more energy.
>>
http://www.pveducation.org/pvcdrom/properties-of-sunlight/solar-radiation-in-space
>>
>>550804853

An hero for humanity.

Thanks obama!
>>
>>550812617
>>550813037
oh nvm i misread that
>>
>>550813125
we get 128631111 W/m^2 irradiance for 1/1000 of a second.
>>
>>550812617
Close to the sun:
3.17*10^19 / 1.47x10^17 = 215 J/m^2 each millisecond.

Far from the sun:
Using Wikipedia values for flux on Earth.
1413 W/m^2 = 1.413 J/m^2 each millisecond.

>>550813037
The density of light lessens the further away from the source of light. That's what causes the difference in energy received. Imagine light branching out in a sphere. The bigger than sphere, the more area that energy has to be spread out over.
>>
File: puffy-gray-1024x768.png (236KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
puffy-gray-1024x768.png
236KB, 1024x768px
interesting.
in general i would say that we would be fucked:
a) the total radiation that we receive on earth from the sun scales as : 4 * pi * r^2 . r is the distance (so it's the spherical surface. since earth-sun distance is 412 times earth-moon distance, (3 orders of magnitude) and the whole this is squared we are talking about a sudden 9 digit increase in radiation. After that with the stefan's law I=sigma* T^4 we can estimate that we will get an at least 2 orders of magnitude larger temp.
so ... 2 digits more temperature for 1 millisecond. that's hot man.

b) gravity! i can't even. all the tidal forces that will be developed for that sweet millisecond are going to finally get rid of the cancer on this board. the scorched rocks that this earth was once, will have to deal with a pretty sexy amount of sudden acceleration and they would sligshot the fuck out of our trajectory
>>
>>550804491
>>550804504
>>550804507
>>550804574
>>550804609
>>550804610
for one millisecond, at the distance of the moon?

nothing would happen you bunch of faggots heat doesn't travel at the speed of light nor at important speed, it spreads

we would only get cancer
>>
>>550804341
Then we would see two suns, also a lot of things would dissipate instantly due to the high temperature, even if it is just for a single millisecond.
>>
>>550813037
doesn't that require the assumption that the energy is being released from a single point as apposed to a large sphere or near flat surface which is the case with the relative sizes and distances of the sun and moon
>>
>>550813343
gravity travels as waves, the distance between the earth and the moon, even at the speed of light, is more than a millisecond; there would be no effect whatsoever except from the previous radiations from the sun already on their way, hence cancer
>>
File: thisiswhy.jpg (15KB, 261x183px) Image search: [Google]
thisiswhy.jpg
15KB, 261x183px
All of our brains are processing the idea of a sun being near the earth for 1 millisecond annnnnnd the answer is... /b/ is not as hopeless as we thought. Thanks OP!
>>
>>550813670
sure. but OP didn't ask what would happen IN the time of that millisecond.
now---sun comes over-*1ms*-sun leaves--we get hit by the first wave-*1ms*- second tidal waves comes in---ripples keep fucking us---endofcancer
>>
>>550804341
my penis would grow by 3 inches and i would be the fucking man
>>
>>550813290
Doing some unit analysis, that's 128631111 (J/s)/m^2 * .001s.
or
128631 J/m^2.
129 kJ/m^2

Basically, not enough energy to do all that much.
>>
>>550804341
I imagine we'd get sucked into the sun eventually.
Something people keep missing is that our solar system and entire galaxy is still moving through the universe. If the sun teleported to us, I imagine it would give us a massive gravitational pull towards it. Then, it would return to it's original location - but keep in mind, the original location would no longer be the center since the solar system has moved with respect to the universe.

There would be a smaller gap between us, while we accelerate violently towards the sun.
>>
>>550814548
the temperature of our ocean would go up by like .0002 degrees C
>>
>>550804341
the gravity would probably whip us out of our orbit and we'd end up slamming into the sun or jupiter or just go flying through space in some random direction forever
>>
The heat doesn't need to travel because it will already be there. So for that 1 millisecond we would all die
>>
>>550812617
r = earth radius
R= sun radius
d = distance
fi = the solid angle the earth covers

fi=2 asin(r/(r+d+R)=0.006 rad
being fi small we can assume the area of earth exposed to radiation is not much different than pi*r^2 at a distance of (r+d+R). So the radiation that goes to earth is (3.8×10^26 J/s)*((r/(r+d+R))^2)=1.326x10^22 W. Wich gives 1.326x10^19 J

even with distance it's that big. Earth average absorption is 10^14 W, so 10^11 J/ms
>>
>>550813535
>heat doesn't travel

lol stop please you're embarrassing yourself
>>
File: 6706579579.gif (596KB, 500x369px) Image search: [Google]
6706579579.gif
596KB, 500x369px
>>550813535
>heat doesn't travel at the speed of light

>electromagnetic radiation doesn't travel at the speed of electromagnetic radiation

Let me guess, you're 'Murikan?
>>
>>550815323
People like you are made of cancer, an amorphous blog of cancer
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (121KB, 920x1096px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
121KB, 920x1096px
>>550814609
I somewhat have confidence in this theory
>>
>>550813340
my number has no per area units just total energy meaning that either 1.47x10^17 is not a ratio
but an area which it cant be because the surface of the earth is 5*10^16 m^2
if you aren't doing proper unit conversions your end result is essentially useless
>>
File: 1394752652132.gif (2MB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
1394752652132.gif
2MB, 260x260px
>>550804341
Gravity and heat would wreck the Earth. Solar System might be thrown out of alignment. Think about the strength of our star's gravitational pull, it's what keeps all 8 planets together, as well as Pluto, the asteroid belt, and God knows how many orbiting rocks.
>>
File: 648579579579.gif (511KB, 245x175px) Image search: [Google]
648579579579.gif
511KB, 245x175px
>>550815447
Not my fault you're a scientifically illiterate peasant.
>>
>>550815323
>confusing heat (state of excitation) with radiation
megalel
>>
File: 1386902443483.jpg (192KB, 680x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1386902443483.jpg
192KB, 680x1024px
>>550816150
Are you trolling right now or are you really this fucking stupid?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_radiation

Now please go kill yourself you shit sucking nigger cockmongler.
>>
rate me !
>>
Someone start space engine up and stick the earth next to the sun to see what it would look like. I'm on mobile so I can't.
>>
>>550817056
2/10
>>
>>550816150
>confusing heat (state of excitation)
what?
that is like
>confusing constitutional literalism (anchovies) with current supreme court doctrine
those things cannot be compared or confused
heat is by definition energy transfer (radiation, convection, conduction)
there is no stationary heat nor excitation heat
the words you are looking for are temperature or possibly molecular kinetic energy
>>
File: paste.jpg (4KB, 250x125px) Image search: [Google]
paste.jpg
4KB, 250x125px
What would happen if a sun made of ice would collide with the normal sun, which is made of lava? Both suns are same size, and the sun made of ice is at -1000 Fahrenheit, and the normal sun is at +1000 Fahrenheit.

Would their temperatures cancel each other and leave only empty space, or would they leave a zero degree sun?
>>
>>55081575
You're right, my bad. I misread it.
>>
>>550804341
???
>>
File: 1402557298443.png (351KB, 450x400px) Image search: [Google]
1402557298443.png
351KB, 450x400px
>>550806181

Yo I don't know about all this sun shit, I just came here to say there is a butthole in this steak
>>
>>550817872
is mean for
>>550815759
>>
File: 1384282189207.jpg (36KB, 563x601px) Image search: [Google]
1384282189207.jpg
36KB, 563x601px
>>550817739
>>
>>550817739
there is a real answer to this troll question
ice is weak-sauce and cant stop the unlimited baseness of the sun
after weird collision period there would be a new sun with twice the mass
nothing else would change
>>
>>550817927
possible asshole detected. mor pics plz
>>
>>550817739
What if they combine and become both -1000 and +1000 degrees Celsiusenheit at the same time and explode the universe dude.
>>
>>550804341
We wpould be die.
>>
>>550815323
Let me guess, you're stupid ?
>>
>>550818002
oh, no worries then, carry on
>>
>>550816862
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_radiation
Sorry to break it to you, but that's not really relevant. The Planck curves show the relationship between temperature and wavelengths of emitted radiation in a black body. Besides, heat isn't the same as radiation. Heat refers to the amount of movement on a molecular level, whereas radiation refers to, well, electromagnetic fields. They're intimately connected, as you can see from your link. Specific temperatures give off specific amounts and types of radiation, and radiation can, due to its energy, be transformed into heat once it hits something (say, the atmosphere or the earth's surface).

It would, however, get really hot in any case. The only reason the sun heats the earth now is due to radiation, and that wouldn't change just because it got closer. On the contrary, seeing as how radiation propagates according to the inverse square law, the sun being at the distance to the moon for even a millisecond would throw so much radiation at earth it's almost unfathomable. So in any case, the side of the earth facing the sun would most likely get toast after the 1.3 seconds it takes from light to travel from the moon to the earth.
>>
>>550819287
+ cancer
so much cancer
>>
The heat wouldn't be the problem. The gravitational force would completely fuck us up.
>>
>>550809256
What about perturbation of the earth's orbit? Any long-term seasonal effects?
>>
>>550819287
>radiation
Oh yeah, we'll get a big burst of X-rays. That side of the planet might be sterilized or mutated. Oh, and any satellites in orbit on that side would get zorched.

And what about solar wind? Probably not a huge amount of damage to the atmosphere, but it's something to think about.
>>
>>550820000
nice quads
>>
>>550819805
Well, that guy's wrong. If we assume the sun teleported here and went away in AN INSTANT (a planck time, I suppose), the earth would be accelerated towards the sun at a rate of 3.318*10^8 m/s^2. This rate would increase as it got closer to the sun for that millisecond.

Depending on where the sun faces the earth, we'll either get fucked out of orbit or accelerated inwards to the sun and either find a new orbit or get sucked into the actual sun. Yay.
>>
>>550804341

People would die and then wonder why the sun can teleport.
>>
File: 1400157740892.jpg (38KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1400157740892.jpg
38KB, 600x400px
>>550821331
>and then wonder why the sun can teleport.

i dont know why i find that so funny
>>
>>550821627
funny your pic is of tom cruise. It was based off one of his lines in "Knight and Day"

>If anyone follows me I will kill myself then her

(referring to a hostage he took, well not really a hostage, just go watch the movie. Its funny as fuck)
>>
>>550804853
Can I write an anime about this
>>
>>550807621
If you were a soup, what flavour soup would you be?
>>
>>550804341

All the Niggers would be dead
>>
>>550817739
>>550818368

It's obviously gonna create a quantic sun with double the mass, which is at the same time at -1000 Farencius and +1000 Celsiusenheit

Duh.
>>
Another interesting question:
what would happen to the orbits of other planets in the Solar System in terms of gravity?
>>
>>550804794
Buttbuds
>>
>>550804341
We'll be not too raw and not too cooked. Just golden fryied.
>>
>>550810915
Interstellar Earth
>>
File: 1393947242749 - Copy.png (66KB, 659x609px) Image search: [Google]
1393947242749 - Copy.png
66KB, 659x609px
>>550822667
>Farencius
>>
Sun could never be in the centre of our universe. Not even for a millisecond, god would let the sun be nearby the earthround. Sun would fall down of the edge of the world.
Thread posts: 151
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.