[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Saw a thread about this other day and didn't get a chance

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

File: 1396985458286.jpg (18KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1396985458286.jpg
18KB, 400x300px
Saw a thread about this other day and didn't get a chance to follow it since I was at work.
I be been really wanting to learn coding but my knowledge on the subject is pretty much that it exists and nothing else. Anyone have any good pointers or instructions on how to go about learning?
>>
What do you want to do with it? video games? Make websites? Etc?
>>
if you're on windows, start with batch file programing. look up some tutorials on YouTube. its an easy place to start
>>
File: python-logo-glassy.png (44KB, 286x364px) Image search: [Google]
python-logo-glassy.png
44KB, 286x364px
>>541530889
CodeAcademy.
>>
File: 1370467.jpg (250KB, 1247x898px) Image search: [Google]
1370467.jpg
250KB, 1247x898px
https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide
>>
>>541530889
Programming Languages Exist, which all give commands to the Kernel of the system (Windows Kernel, Linux Kernel etc)
Kernels deal with the physical resources i.e the hardware
Different Languages exist, C (C Sharp, C+, Visual Basic), Java and so on.
Computer code is either 1 or 0, on or off and alot of 1s and 0s combined in different ways will make the hardware (processors, graphics card, buses) to do different things.
Programming languages can be coded in things like notepad, but Environments exist which are extended word editors giving a graphical interface.
Java is Object Oriented, meaning that once a program is created, the program works around things like buttons, which are objects, so the program is oriented on buttons.
C programming language is what is used to program most video games.
HTML, SQL, PHP are Languages that arent used by the computer itself, but are used by Internet Browsers such as Chrome, Opera, etc and will have a standard of displaying websites by reading the code files (.html, .php etc) which are stored on the server
>>
Software engineer here, IMO learn basics (memory management, pointers, etc.) with C, then move on to OOP concepts with C++ then branch out in either Java or .Net and read Clean Code by Robert C Martin.

Also scripting is for faggots, don't waste your time with Python.
>>
>>541532019
You have to start somewhere, anon.
>>
>>541532019
>C++
>calling other people faggots

C++ is inconvenient as hell, and he needs to start with something easy before he starts dealing with that shit.

You're not helping anyone.
>>
>>541532326
Yes, with C and real programming concepts.
>>
Software engineer here

>>541531951
is a faggot, dont listen to him

99% of all software related jobs these days are on the web, or the require a server backend.

Learn PHP follow up by Symfony, then learn Ruby.

After PHP and Symfony, i guess you could pick up Obj C for iOS apps or Java for android, thats another 0.9% covered there.

And then! you can learn C# to cover the last 0.1%
>>
>>541532597
>>541532514 << what he said.

You're telling someone to dive into the deep end without getting a chance to test the waters and understand syntax and how shit works behind the scenes.
>>
>>541532514
Once you know C and the basic stuff, C++ is really simple as it only abstracts a good layer of stuff. You can then easily start learning oriented object concepts. And of course you don't do C++ forever, unless you have to do embedded or real-time softwares.
>>
>>541530889
Your input, words etc are all just a series of 1s and 0s in a row
8 1s and 0s in a row is a byte
so 01101111 could mean 'f' (ascii) and is one byte. So a kilobyte is 1000 of these 00000000 statements. a 1 is represented physically by a 5volt charge being sent down the wire, there will be a standard at either end of the wire which accepts so many bytes per second and translates them.
so 01101111 would go down the wire as
0V - 5V - 5V - 0V - 5V - 5V - 5V -5V. Which will be a letter or symbol to the computer.
Programs, Video files, Images files and all files are just a load of these binary bytes, sent by 5v charges and represent thousands of symbols within the pc, which will display as the pixels on the screen.
So if one of the thousands of pixels code is 011011111 it will be green on the monitor
>>
>>541532514
I started with c++, but used a textbook that was pretty in-depth
OP, I would recommend codecademy.com if you have no experience with programming. Really good lessons that will ease you into things quite comfortably
>>
>>541532823
>PHP
Moar like HTML5, PHP is dying and it's a fucking good thing. And C# covers more than 0.1% as usually you have a quite big WCF/REST backend.
>>
Most will tell you learn python, which I'm sure isn't a terrible language to learn.. but first ask yourself what is more important to you? If computer games are the most important, maybe focus on the more hardcore languages like c/c++/c#.

Personally, I love web development because websites are available on many devices such as PC, tablet, and phone. It is the future. For this reason I have chosen to study ruby on rails. Ruby is an easy programming language to learn and ruby on rails is a web framework. It also pays about as much as a c/c++/c# programmer. About 70,000 to 140,000 a year. The most important thing you want to find is developing something you enjoy. You don't necessarily want to get stuck with a Java programming job doing debugging if its for something you don't even like.
>>
File: aWZ1A8d_700b_v1.jpg (89KB, 507x679px) Image search: [Google]
aWZ1A8d_700b_v1.jpg
89KB, 507x679px
>>541533126

Wait, you want to write the backend in C#? And how the fuck can HTML5 take over server side logic?

Are you retarded sir?
>>
>>541532823
On top of those web languages, experiment with node.js, JavaScript, Perl/Python, and become familiar with BASH so that you can fuck with a Linux server like a boss.
>>
>>541533314

also image reminder to all Linux faggots
>>
File: (1)sweets.jpg (257KB, 1081x739px) Image search: [Google]
(1)sweets.jpg
257KB, 1081x739px
>>541532860
I started with Pythoin.
It's like learning new languages, you start with what's relatively easy and learning the more complicated stuff becomes easier.

He can start with C and make it, but it's going to be easier if he starts with something that has a shallow learning curve.

Also, I still use python and bash to throw together desktop programs, there's no reason not to if it works.
>>541532981
I would agree that codeacademy is a good place to start.
>>
>>541533314
Wat? HTML5 is the simple front-end that connects to the APIs.
>>
>>541532823
I was trying to briefly explain to him some of the basics like he asked.
As if someone with 0 knowledge is going to be interested in learning PHP or Symfony.
PHP itself exists within HTML, so without HTML knowledge. PHP means nothing. You literally cannot do anything with PHP without it being within a HTML umbrella.
HTML is a markup language and has nothing to do with coding. Don't call me a faggot, fag
>>
>>541532823
Just for the record, not important or anything, but I fucking loath Ruby.

It's so disorganized looking.
>>
>>541530889

I havent read through this thread yet, but I am a software engineer at a very well known electronics company. If you were REALLY interested in learning I could tutor you. I have a few books you should get as well if you are just starting out.
>>
>>541533524

Yes that makes sense, but i understood it as a replacement for learning PHP, which ... made no sense.

Anyhow, HTML5, Javascript (indeed this also helps with node.js), are mandatory and easy after learning Symfony or Ruby.
>>
take community college class on threading
/thread
>>
>>541533794
What languages do you use? What kind of software?
>>
File: 1384114030311.jpg (74KB, 563x358px) Image search: [Google]
1384114030311.jpg
74KB, 563x358px
>>541532514

just START with C#. C# is microsoft's answer to java. as java runs in its own rotten shit pocket of slow memory--what a fucking shit it's been for 20 years--C# runs with .Net crap that gets added to windows. C# is 17% faster when put to serious tests. (i did the research). it can not compile if it's bad code and it is extremely sweet. java just makes me sad.

use the free light C# visual studio piece from microsoft.

otherwise, learning to program involves learning the following:

1. declaring variables
2. simple computations like converting miles to kilometers or body mass index
3. lists
4. sorting
5. arrays
6. object crap

get a basic "learning object oriented" book that starts with "this is a computer, it uses 0s and 1s" (any recent joyce farrell book will do; go to half.com and get one for 5 bucks. that's the text for the intro courese) and ends with object oriented and if you can eventually design a "nibbles" "snake" game using the step by step tutorial you're ready for... second semester computer science.

this is the real way people get started.
>>
>>541533843
You don't need PHP if you have an HTML5 front-end and a C#/Java REST API/webservice.
Can't do clean code with PHP.
>>
>>541531764
If you want to go to sleep.
>>
>>541531764
This.
>>
>>541530889
Dont bother if your memory is shit.
>>
>>541533546

Mate symfony works on MVC, that separates the HTML from the PHP; Who the fucks embeds PHP these days, you use TWIG or someshit for templating.

If he learns PHP first, (which 95% of people do as a first language), he will get a soft introduction without pointers, data types, malloc, etc

And then he can go on with Obj C or whatever he wishes.
>>
>>541533843

Ofc you dont, PHP replaces C#, C# replaces PHP, but why would you go to the trouble of programming a web service in C#? Makes no sense, takes x10 the time.

You can get a proper REST API up with symfony or Larvel, you know ... frameworks made for that sort of thing
>>
>>541534276
>without pointers, data types, malloc, etc

But that's what you need to see and understand first. If you program without knowing what the fuck is a data structure, you'll fuck up.
>>
>>541534276
Object c is niche as fuck, but I will admit I learned PHP first. It is a scripting language.
>>
>>541534039
Honestly most of the people I know who do any coding started with C#, but i didn't so it's hard for me to say you're wrong there.
C# is definitely better than java (but what isn't?) and it's worth knowing.

I'm just partial to Python and I certainly don't think it's a bad starting point.

As long as he's not an idiot and puts forth even a little bit of effort he should be fine, I'm just recommending something that made it easier and more fun for me which helped me get going.
>>
>>541534640

It is a niche indeed, a rich folk nieche tho!

If you dont mind Apple having their dick down your throat, its a fine language.

But if Apple and Cocoa does not interrest you ... well yeah .. then Obj C does not offer that much, compared to other languages.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.