[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brazilian jiu jitsu general To get us started, what belt are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: GABRIEL_VELLA_vs_ROMINHO_51[1].jpg (885KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
GABRIEL_VELLA_vs_ROMINHO_51[1].jpg
885KB, 1280x850px
Brazilian jiu jitsu general

To get us started, what belt are you and how long have you been training? Where do you train? Does it have any affiliates? Do you crosstrain any other grappling styles or just stick to BJJ? Do you prefer sport BJJ or self defense/Gracie JJ? Do you prefer nogi or gi?
>>
>>794276
If you want to start the discussion why not tell us your rank
>>
>>794276
>inb4 did you not see the grappling general

I don't give a shit about other styles, this is a BJJ thread. I don't want sanda motherfuckers shitting it up with their bruce lee crap.
>>
>>794276
/lgbt/
>>
>>794280
I was waiting for a few posts before contributing.

>blue belt
>trained for about 5-6 years on and off
>i prefer gi over nogi
>i prefer the more traditional gracie self defense rather than modern day sport
>i have done pretty much 0 crosstraining except for the odd day the instructor brings some wrestling coach in to take the class and we drill doublelegs for 2 hours
>>
>>794276
Hey OP, I'm moving soon to a place that has dojos that teach traditional and Gracie JJ, would you say Gracie jiu-jitsu is the way to go?
>>
>>794355
Depends what you're after. "traditional ju jutsu" is Japanese JJ. Don't waste your time with that shit. Go for the Gracie JJ.
>>
File: image.jpg (450KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
450KB, 1920x1200px
>>794276
I've trained in JJJ, judo and BJJ and boxing and now MT.
I train under a machado black belt.
I'm white belt because I jump around schools, and styles a lot. I've been doing martial arts for four years. Either striking or grappling.

Jujitsu is jujitsu, it's all distraction, blending, leverage. Just depends on the style and how it's trained. Kata based old school jujitsu is legit, but sparring really is key to get better after trained.
The disarms and stuff are legit if you are quick/done them awhile (sparring or no sparring).

Personally I fucking hate this ground based shit and all sport stuff. Yea submissions are cool, so are sweeps. But you need more take downs, standing submissions.
Only odds are that I like striking and MMA a lot, that and the only judo school around is 52 miles away, one way.
>>
File: image.jpg (306KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
306KB, 1024x1024px
>>794355
Depends on the school and what you want. Personally I would train both as a martial artist.

As a aspiring MMA fighter do Gracie/bjj
>>
>>794276
>what belt are you and how long have you been training?
I'm a purple belt. I've been practicing for 4 years.

>Where do you train?
Wyoming.

>Does it have any affiliates.
No.

>Do you crosstrain any other grappling styles or just stick to BJJ
I just stick to BJJ.

>sport of self defense
Sport.

>gi or nogi
I prefer nogi.

Also, I've sucked a lot of dick to get as far as I have, you could say I'm quite an advanced BJJ practitioner.
I'd be more than happy about giving you guys some tips about sucking dick.
>>
File: tmp_20722-truck694596083.jpg (31KB, 405x306px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_20722-truck694596083.jpg
31KB, 405x306px
>>794276
what belt are you and how long have you been training?
Purple, 4 years

Where do you train? Does it have any affiliates?
Checkmat in OC/LA, yes lots.

Do you crosstrain any other grappling styles or just stick to BJJ?
BJJ/wrestling.

Do you prefer sport BJJ or self defense/Gracie JJ?

Gracie jj is cool aide, my bjj is good for both sport and self defense.

Do you prefer nogi or gi?
Like them the same, you have to do both to achieve next level grappling status.
>>
>>795306
what style of Japanese jujutsu did you do?
>>
>>794276
>what belt are you and how long have you been training?
Blue belt, about 4 years

>Where do you train?
Don't want to say

>Does it have any affiliates.
Yes

>Do you crosstrain any other grappling styles or just stick to BJJ
Yes. A lot of it is mixed. Catch wrestling/shooto + folkystle and some other stuff mixed in.

>sport of self defense
Sport. I like self-defense stuff, just not the Gracie self-defense stuff. My coach has a really good self-defense class based on probably 10+ martial arts systems but it also kind of double as a JKD/Kali class.

>gi or nogi
Nogi. Don't care for the grip games and the lack of action they can create. It's also about the rules and culture. I sort of see the Gi as something that takes away submissions do to sport rule set and the culture that comes with that. Although, I think I do like the Sambo uniform more, if I were to have a Gi type deal on. Just the top with short shorts and wrestling shoes. I really prefer wrestling shoes to protect the toes and skin on the top of the foot.

Also, the no-gi game seems to be faster paced, with less stalling, and it is often more challenging to lock in a number of submissions which makes for a good flow.

Oh yes, also less burns on the skin without the gi.
>>
>>794316
>i have done pretty much 0 crosstraining except for the odd day the instructor brings some wrestling coach in to take the class and we drill doublelegs for 2 hours

Yo, freaking crosstrain. Avoiding mixing martial arts leads to incest nonsense, and a weaker style overall. Inclusive styles will always be more robust.
>>
>>797064
>leads to incest
You supposed to discourage him from not cross training.
>>
>>797085
Would the terms "inbreeding" and "congenital defects" be more appropiate for you, then?
>>
>>795306
>Personally I fucking hate this ground based shit and all sport stuff. Yea submissions are cool, so are sweeps. But you need more take downs, standing submissions.

OP here. I agree. I am anti-sport and prefer the traditional Gracie style, self defense etc.

>>797064
>Yo, freaking crosstrain. Avoiding mixing martial arts leads to incest nonsense, and a weaker style overall. Inclusive styles will always be more robust.
I did about a year of MMA and 2 years of muay thai but BJJ is the only proper grappling I've done. I'm not interested in competing in MMA but since my gym only offers sport BJJ (my gym is the top sport BJJ gym in the country with the most medals etc) I am thinking of getting back into MMA so I can learn more self defense type stuff slash work on my striking enough to be able to get me into a grapple. I also try to work on a bit of my own made up self defense techniques/concepts in class/at home sometimes. Basic things like wrist-grip breaks and block-grapples.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.