[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm just getting into Martial Arts, and I'm a string

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: Ma Bu.gif (171KB, 1500x1006px) Image search: [Google]
Ma Bu.gif
171KB, 1500x1006px
I'm just getting into Martial Arts, and I'm a string bean. 5'10, 126 Lb's, can you guys recommend me strength/ stamina training?

I'm just jogging vague distances now, and doing like, 50 jumping jacks, 20 push ups, 30 crunches, before spending two hours at my dojo each morning, but I have time before and after that I could spend better.

Are sets of push ups and situps good? how many reps and how many sets? How far should I be jogging in a day. I know this is probably a question for /fit/ but I feel like you guys would be better equipped to provide exercises that help condition me specifically for martial arts, or in conjunction with it, at least.

Image unrelated, though a cool graphic to describe a technique.
>>
100 push ups, 100 sit ups and 10km running. Every single day.
>>
>>781320
Thank you.

Should the pushups and situps be consecutive, or would 35 push ups 3 times a day work as well?
>>
>>781320
Kek OP Pomf is a troll who is giving you advice from manga. You need to eat and lift weights if you want to get bigger and stronger. Do fucking GOMAD and SS. You're the perfect candidate.
>>
File: 7.png (451KB, 726x597px) Image search: [Google]
7.png
451KB, 726x597px
>>781332
It's a joke. How new are you? For the cardio 15 min every day is enough. 1 hour 2 or 3 times a week is good too.
For the strenght you can lift weight and do sloooow moves. 10 push ups/sit ups is enough but slower. Also static stances during 30s to 3 minutes (depending how much you can) is important. Alternating slow, fast and static will give you the body you want. But what martial art art you doing?
>>
>>781347
Oh, shit, one punch man. Rip. What's GOMAD and SS?
>>
>>781370
I'm taking kung fu, but my place also offers judo, krav maga, mauy thai, kickboxing, and a bunch of other shit.

Kung fu is the central thing though. The other shit is just to build upon that basis.

When you say static stances do you mean shit like horse stance, bow stance, etc? Like martial arts shit, or what?
>>
>>781370
Studio does Kung fu with a lot of other shit on a more basic level, just to cover holes and stuff. when you say static stances, do you mean, like, martial arts stances? holding horse stance and shit, or what?
>>
>>781370
rip, double post.
>>
>>781374
Kung fu don't mean much. Shaolin, tai chi?
>static stances
I mean this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4EZfNp24fA + horsestance. Well, it's not the most important. First build muscle, but at the end it's great to do those kind of exercices to be more potent on moving.
>>
>>781374
>I'm taking kung fu
Those 4 words render everything subsequently written meaningless
>>
>>781764
I'll be concerned over the legitimacy of my martial art, or not, I'd rather just get the advice from you, and be concerned with that shit myself, alright?
>>
>>781254
>50 jumping jacks, 20 push ups, 30 crunches, before spending two hours at my dojo each morning

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww no wonder no one came to this board before.
>>
>>781254
>50 jumping jacks, 20 push ups, 30 crunches
>need more training
wat

Just start a martial art. The correct muscles come by themselves and you don't want to train muscles that you don't need. Especially not by destroying your speed with bulk.

Do some taichi or something instead, to strengthen your back and overall secure your health.
>>
>>781774
He's telling you that "kung fu" is not a martial art, but a group of vastly different martial arts and that you are either visiting a McDojo or some kind of supermaster who combined all of the kung fu styles.
Guess which one is more likely. Maybe ask your master what exactly you are learning.
>>
all of the advice ITT is wrong

>>781884
>The correct muscles come by themselves and you don't want to train muscles that you don't need. Especially not by destroying your speed with bulk.

top kek

OP,

listen up

you can't get significantly stronger without trying to gain weight at the same time. its just not going to work that way. what you need to be doing is eating calories at maintenance level whilst strength training your whole body, and slowly adjusting cals (100-200 surplus) when your progress halts. you do not want to aim for a certain weight gain (e.g. 1 lb/week which is 500 cals approx) weekly like bodybuilders/powerlifters on /fit/, but your strength training fundamentals are going to be the same.

this is advice from someone who was a semi-pro athlete, and trains future pros (not me, an old trip on /fit/)
>>
>>781254
go to /fit/ and read the sticky. you will have everything you need there from proven workout routines and diets so you can gain mass. your really skinny so that should be your priority right now. i would try to bulk up to at least 145-150 if i were you.
>>
>>781925
>>781884
OP is only 126 pounds at 5'10. thats not a healthy weight. He needs to at least bulk until he isn't underweight anymore. i doubt it will destroy his speed at all if he bulks up now.
>>
>>781254
Lift Heavy Weights, Force feed yourself as much as you can so you gain weight, and don't do any cardio outside of martial arts until you gain some weight.
>>
>>781886
I'll ask my master, but I'm relatively certain it's not a McDojo. I went to one before and wanted to be sure that this one wasn't one, and it's checked out on my own criteria.

>>781925
It seems like a lot of people are suggesting bulking right now, which seems like a good idea since I am underweight, and building muscle is a goal. I've had trouble with weight gain in the past though. What do you recommend for food for bulking? I can also just google this stuff, if nobody wants to answer, I'm just thinking I might as well ask while I'm here.
>>
>>782274
>I'm just thinking I might as well ask while I'm here.
That's the thing about humans. We communicate. We share information.
A lot of us share out of instinct, impulse, humans have a deeper, more primitive drive to communicate.
>>
>>782274
whole milk, Mass Gainer shakes, and just stuffing your face with as much high calorie food as possible. at your weight i wouldn't worry about overeating. Your probably the type who usually doesn't eat much so it might be hard at first to force yourself to eat so much but your stomach will grow. Eat big meals with lots of carbs fat and protein and eat til your so full you can't eat anymore.
>>
>>781347
>Kek OP Pomf is a troll who is giving you advice from manga.
This.

The worst thing you can really do is to run miles and miles every day.

As someone who used to run 20+ miles a week (mix of 2 mile runs and 4-5 mile runs) it's really just dumb training that is only still around because that's just how things are done.

Long distance running has a benefit, but the returns start to really diminish when you get to a certain mileage. Most of the time that it's done in an athletic program it's part of the pre season conditioning and is just a gut check.

Or you're the Army and you still think running 20+ miles a week on concrete and asphalt is healthy for the joints of Joes who are going to then be constantly carrying 100+ pounds while deployed.
>>
>>782321
>force yourself to eat
>eat til your so full you can't eat anymore.
is that a fact?

https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/metabolism-does-stress-really-shorten-your-life/does-how-much-you-eat-affect-how
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2012/08/08/stuffed-or-satisfied-when-to-stop-eating
http://www.allouteffort.com/2013/04/why-eating-until-your-full-is-bad.html
>>
>>782321
Yeah, I went to fit, and am reading the sticky. It's super freaking helpful. I'm a dude who doesn't eat a lot, but I just forced a big breakfast. Kinda tough, but i'll adjust. I'll look into Mass Gainer shakes though.

Also, for actually going to a gym, should I just experiment with weight until i figure out what's a good starting point for me? Can I assume based on my weight or something? I just don't want to get there, and then dick around like a retard for a half hour. I want to work out, and just do it, so knowing a good starting point for the weight I would be working with would be dank helpful.

>>782298
It's true, and I feel it, just, these boards can vary in hostility sometimes. This place seems mostly chill though.
>>
File: 1443803087732.png (829KB, 1201x550px) Image search: [Google]
1443803087732.png
829KB, 1201x550px
>>782484
Get >>>/out/
Lurk Moar
Top pleb
Die Normie scum
An Hero
Sudoku
No spoonfeeding
smoganumigrill.mp2
>>
>>782484
That's probably a question better answered by >>>/fit/
>>
>>782702
I tried looking it up and saw that lifting your own weight is a good starting point, but I'll see how things shake out tomorrow.
>>
>>782484
for the weights just start low and work your way up from there if its too light. you always wanna warm up with lighter weight anyway. and don't be afraid of looking like an idiot at the gym. everyone starts somewhere. just go there and work hard and don't get discouraged if you feel weak because over time you will get stronger.
>>
>>782712
I feel that. Aight. Thanks.
>>
>>782710
>I tried looking it up and saw that lifting your own weight is a good starting point
Tbh senpai, if you've never used free weights before you probably won't be able to use your body weight for even the big 3.

Not just because you are DYEL or anything, but because there is also an attached motor skill to those movements.

The best thing to do is do 1RM attempts and then build your program around that if you don't know what your 1RM is already.
>>
>>783339
Holy shit don't listen to the gainz golbin here go to /fit/ before you snap your shit
>>
>>782710
You start with the bar you fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>782479
>eating until your full
Yeah real legit article there. Can't even proof read the fucking headline.
>>
>>782274
It's kung fu. It's a mcdojo by definition.
>>
>>783958
>got to fit

>anon: "hey guis, how do I lift?"
>/fit/: "read the sticky"
>anon: "but"
>/fit/: "read the sticky"
>>
>>787834
Read the fucking sticky then faggot
>>
>>787834
go watch some Rippetoe vids on the jewtubes if you literally don't know how to lift weights. check out the know your lifts articles on the art of manliness. just read the sticky and google shit dude
>>
>>787959
I actually ducked outa this thread at a certain point, so I never asked anything about how to lift or shit like that. that was other randoms.
>>
>>781320
kek
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.