[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a lifelong practitioner of goju karate. As supplementation,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: guju-ryu-symbole.jpg (27KB, 766x768px) Image search: [Google]
guju-ryu-symbole.jpg
27KB, 766x768px
I'm a lifelong practitioner of goju karate. As supplementation, I've developed an interest in drunken fist now that I've finished learning the basics of american boxing.

Redpill me on the basics of wushu/drunking boxing because I don't get it
>>
>>775315
Chinks at the shaolin stated It's a meme art for entertainment purpose along with monkey style.

Any dojang advertising it for self defence/fighting is 100% mcdojo.
>>
>>775319
That is a major disappointment
>>
>>775315
Well you're obviously prepared to swallow any nonsense the supposed "master" spews so it sounds like you'll fit in great.
>>
File: 1445141159071.jpg (17KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
1445141159071.jpg
17KB, 600x700px
>>775699
Give me a fucking break.

I'm a novice at goju who abandoned his training early to mix his hard and soft foundation with that of boxing basics. The closest thing to a "master" I have is Musashi and the lessons he taught.

I'm just growing bored of practicing goju cat stance and kung fu crane in nowhere bars. Excuse the fuck out of me for seeking out the basics of drunken boxing.
>>
>>775699
I know there's this faggot who recently tainted goju image on /asp/ but please don't mix all of us up int the same bag. He was an arrogant faggot whatever what he practiced.

For OP, most of okinawan goju take root in china so maybe it's a bit redondant to learn a CMA. You may wanna look on some competitive martial art like kyokushin or judo, this way you will be able to enhance what you already learnt and see if it's applicable on field.
>>
>>775831
Hey, thank you for the response. I've always considered judo but never looked into it. Perhaps your post was the sign I've sought to get me moving in that direction (:
>>
>>775315
> I've developed an interest in drunken fist
how and why have you developed it?
>>
>>775315

>Redpill me on the basics of wushu/drunking boxing

The drunken boxing forms are usually one of the most advanced in any Kung Fu Style. And that's for a reason, because drunken boxing is difficult to handle.

The legend says that drunken boxing was invented because some Shaolin guys got drunken (and could be beaten easily at that state), so they develloped a fighting style that resembles a drunkyard, so an outsider couldn't tell if they were really drunk (and could be beaten) or just pretending to be drunk (as a tactic).

Anyway, as someone who does Karate and did Kung Fu in the past I have to explain some major difference in both styles first.
Karate is about:
-the shortest path
-no unnecessary movements
-killing in one strike

Kung Fu is about:
-surprising the opponent
-doing the unexpected
-using a lot of feints
-winning step by step

This movie here is rather bad, but it illustrates my point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Iyj9LZxwbg

Now back to topic: at Drunken Boxing you try to bring those Kung Fu principles to the boil, by doing a lot of "retarded" stuff (droping yourself to the floor, turning away and striking over your head,..). This is meant as a test and demontration of athletic skills (because it takes a lot of skill and you keep your balance at all time, even though it doesn't looks like it). But it's also the study of "last resort movements" because in the forms you put yourself continously into position that would be really bad (in a real fight) and try to find out what you can do from this position, possibly to regain a better position. Or you do 100% commited strikes like jumping, doing a flying kick and landing flat on your back.

Now you see: to willingly abandon your balance and do "crazy movements" to throws your opponent of balance and surprise him you have to be good at the basics and in keeping your balance first. Also I guess it's just something the old Kung Fu masters came up with for the lulz.
>>
>>775939
>Also I guess it's just something the old chinks came up with to laugh at gwai loh doing dances and playing patty-cake
Fixed for reality.
>>
>>775772
>I'm a novice at goju
>>775315
>I'm a lifelong practitioner of goju

So which is it?
>>
Like all kung fu it's a bunch of horseshit

Hope this helps op
>>
>>775315
>learn something useful like boxing, until you get kinda decent in it (takes like three years if you train consistently)
>now try to find out what feints work when
>try to find out how you can trick your opponent by doing reckless stuff, acting careless or sloppy

Now you have some kind of drunken style that's actually effective and not some chinese marketing gag
>>
File: jen-selter-buns-o.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
jen-selter-buns-o.gif
1MB, 320x180px
>>776043
Both. Is it so hard to understand? It is the core of my style of which I practice the basic strikes, stances, and katas regularly and intend to for the rest of my life. Body tempering techniques included.

I've been at it since a young age and left my dojo at the end of my teen years. In the overall scheme of the style though, I am a novice.

>>775933
True Legend and Drunken Master.

>>775939
Awesome post. Can't thank you enough. This clarified some things for me, and got me thinking it may be best to just look into judo.
>>
>>776103
Hold on I still don't know whether you're a newbie or not.

What's your rank in Goju?

like this dick muncher said
>>776043

'Lifelong' usually implies that you've been doing ti for years and years and then some. Novice implies that you have just started training. Hence why we are confused
>>
>>775831
>saying I tainted the image
>still bringing up kyokushin even though I well established goju gives you everything kyokushin does and then more
>>
>>776103

>Awesome post.

You're welcome.

>it may be best to just look into judo.

Yes, definately! Judo and Karate are the styles I'm currently practicing (after trying out a lot of stuff) and they complement each other very well. Even though it was a little bit hard at the beginning to make the switch in the head. But Karate and Judo are deep systems that are a lot of fun to explore.
>>
>>776103
>It is the core of my style of which I practice the basic strikes, stances, and katas regularly
So you practiced pyjama dancing. Thanks for clearing that up.
>>
>>776103
>It is the core of my style of which I practice the basic strikes, stances, and katas regularly and intend to for the rest of my life. Body tempering techniques included.
>I've been at it since a young age and left my dojo at the end of my teen years. In the overall scheme of the style though, I am a novice.

My fuck, do I hate the false humility horseshit TMA practitioners swallow while kneeling in front of their senseis.

You never hear somebody who does a proper combat sport spouting this bullshit. If you're good you're good, and if you've been doing it for years you either got good or quit.

>>776215
go away
>>
>>776780
goju is the original mixed martial art, and you are all going to learn a very valuable lesson when you see the video after I get back from fighting that guy in florida
>>
>>776802
LOL ok

Try not running away like all the other tma dancers who said they'd fight did.
>>
>>776802
>and you are all going to learn a very valuable lesson when you see the video after I get back from fighting that guy in florida

Lol. I really hope you show up. After I KO you I'm going to pull my pants down and take a stinky dump right on you.
>>
>>776888
>>776802

Too bad I won't even notice that happen between all that WWE threads..

Anyway, I just wanted to say that you are childish, all this "defending the honour of my style" and "Your style is weak!" is so 80's Kung Fu Movie like..

Oh well, whatever.
>>
File: fist.gif (16KB, 262x301px) Image search: [Google]
fist.gif
16KB, 262x301px
>>776965
we just have a lot of casuals and shit talkers around this board that need to learn some stuff. It is too bad the board is dead now though

ironic really, a bunch of cosplayers made it so a lot of people wont see what real martial arts looks like

and also I have nothing to do with OP, if people want to make fun of kung fu or whatever it is he was interested in that's fine. Okinawan goju is a different style from american
>>
>>776802
Except it's not. Kalaripayattu is.
>>
>>776780
Spouting what bullshit? What false humility? In what you chose to greentext I gave basic facts without trying to illustrate myself as anything. You're either reading too deep into what I'm saying or you misunderstood what I said. Either way you're adding context that isn't there.

Holy smokes
>>
File: cave_painting.gif (37KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
cave_painting.gif
37KB, 400x250px
>>777305

Except it's not. CFS (cavemen fighting system) is.
>>
>>777541
>archery
>mixed
Kalaripayattu is literally striking, grappling and weapons combined with some cool yoga shit added in for mystic hoodoo points.

The particularly fun part is it was a Kalaripayattu practitioner who introduced buddhism to China and taught the monks physical training (later renamed shaolin kung fu)
>>
>>777571

>implying a caveman archer couldn't grapple or fight with stones or his bare hands

Much you have to learn about history of mankind..
>>
>>778082
I just got my second feather on my brown cloth in unga bunga

hopefully I will be able to test for my leopard cloth by next year
>>
>>778088
>leopard cloth

You are in a mcdojo. REAL caveman fighting system goes from brown to mammoth
>>
>>776987
>Okinawan goju is a different style from american
It's still garbage.

But I'm sure you'll come back with how you're learning to be a killing machine and you're poking eyes out and ripping nut sacks off every time you spar.
>>
>>778572
>learning to be a killing machine
already am a killing machine

just last week in fact I was sparring someone who said, and I quote "I'm convinced you could kill a man if you wanted to" that was without me prompting the comment, It was just what he said after a few minutes working with me.
another notable comment "it felt like I was hitting a tree trunk"

you can talk shit all you want, but at the end of the day you're the one dancing and playing pretend with pillows on your hands while I'm out there fighting people.
>>
>>778879
Lol

Subtle.
>>
>>777571
Bodhidarma is only credited for bringing the "muscle and tendon change classic" and "marrow washing" to the monastery . Not shaolin kung Fu which was a conglomeration of styles. Assuming he even existed that is
>>
Did Goju Ryu for 17 years and the foundation is great. Karate is nice for strong one hit punches and about 2-3 combo attacks, during sparing sessions with other martial artists I felt that the lack of fluid movements like for example in kickboxing just won't be sufficient in fights with experienced fighters. Mix Goju Ryu Karate with any kind of grappling styles and you will be fine, due to the already learned close kombat fighting. As for Kung Fu, I feel like it somewhat uses inefficient movements that do the trick if the opponent is not accustomed to them since he will be irritated by them, which seems to be the concept of drunken boxing.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.