[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /asp/, I was wondering, Why is it that MA/ combat sports

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: zumbajitsu.jpg (47KB, 640x415px) Image search: [Google]
zumbajitsu.jpg
47KB, 640x415px
Hey /asp/, I was wondering,
Why is it that MA/ combat sports instructors (generally pretty ripped guys or at least in good condition) make all their students do so much calisthenics when you can read everywhere that weight training is an "easier", more efficient way of improving your strength?
Like, do they want their students to stay average until they actually become pros?
What's your vision on strength and body conditioning in general in regards of what's needed in martial arts?
>>
>>756767
Its one of the faults of tradition, sometimes you do stuff that isn't efficient because thats what they did in the old days and they didnt know any better.
It's a case of a guy teaching the way he was taught, because his teacher taught him that way and so on
>>
>>756767
So they can do it in the club without expensive and non idiot proof kit. They assume that the majority of their students won't work out otherwise at home.

Weight training is better by far but sometimes calisthenics can be good too and is obviously easier to train groups in. Also to get results weight training takes as much tutelage and work as the rest of the nights class.
>>
It's also that for most combat sports you need to be loose and not stiff. Using weights in the wrong way (for martial arts or combat sports) will just bulk you and make you slow. Stronger but slow and that's not good for most stand up martial arts
>>
>>756770
>bulk you and make you slow

Welp, here's a guy whose opinions can be disregarded.
>>
>>756770
>make you slow
Tell that to any good wrestler
>b-but wrestling does not fit my super specific definition of a martial art!
>>
Tradition from an era when power racks did not exist. It is also held onto because lifting equipment is expensive.
>>
>>756770
>bulk you and make you slow
>bulkier equals slower

Literally video game logic
>>
>>756873
Well, bulk can make you slow...if it's fat.
>>
A lot of traditional martial arts had some form of resistance training. In Karate, this was called Hojo Undo, or supplementary practice. Practitioners would use a club, called a chi-ishi, jars (nigiri game), and stone padlocks that resembled kettlebells to strengthen their arms and grip.
>>
>>756902
>stone padlocks
Did those things have internal mechanisms, or were they just set on the floor by the door or something?
>>
>>756767
>>756769
This, very much this. It calisthenics also doubles to help improve the general flexibility of the body after a while. Which obviously helps a great deal with Martial Arts. There is also a little problem that can come from overbulking with weight training, Some people experience and issue with the bicep muscle that prevents them from extending their arm completely. This effectively translates to shorter reach on some punching techniques, the one that comes to mind for me is the standard karate reverse punch.
The problem with the methods used for body conditioning in martial arts is that very rarely does it evenly trains all the muscles of the body. I found after about 5 years of Karate that I had rather weak back and arm muscles, but extremely well developed core, shoulder, forearm and legs. So I ended up getting a PT to knockout a full body weight routine as a kind of supplementary training to even myself out a bit.
>>
>>756904
They had very eleborate internal mechanisms.
Most had ~10 disc tumblers on each side, while modern locks only have 5 on one side.
And to think they were all carved out of the same stone as the lock body itself. Truly amazing.
>>
>>756767
it would be expensive and take up alot of space to have everyone in the class do the same lifting routine. i guess they could rotate but still. calisthenics is also less likely to cause injury so you won't have to watch everyone to make sure they have perfect form.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.