[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boxing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (2MB, 2808x1872px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2808x1872px
Is there any way a boxer could win a fight with someone who does a kicking martial art like Muay Thai or would they just get their ass handed to them

Just wondering because I'm gonna start taking boxing and was wondering what would happen if I ran into someone on the street who did something like Muay Thai, would I just get embarrassed or would I stand a fighting chance.
>>
File: sole-butt-kicks-irl.gif (4MB, 272x190px) Image search: [Google]
sole-butt-kicks-irl.gif
4MB, 272x190px
>>756429
>Is there any way a boxer could win a fight with someone who does a kicking martial art like Muay Thai
Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ7bbmjtAB0
>>
It could be said that techniques such as jabs, roundhouse kicks, hooks, etcetera, are just tools that are used by more fundamental things.
These fundamental things could be said to be reaction time, speed, accuracy, and power.
With your power, accuracy, speed, and reaction time, you could use hooks, roundhouse kicks, jabs, etcetera.
>>
>>756432
Strategy and tactics may also be added to these fundamental things.
>>
A boxer needs to be in a certain range to be able to land a punch on his or her opponent.

Given that the 2 fighters are of equal and average proportions, a fighter would need to get closer than kicking range to punch.
>>
The Boxer in the YouTube video posted previously received some damage from kicks.

Some ways to defend against leg roundhouse kicks include
>back up
>lift up leg so kick misses leg
>check the kick

One may turn or move to the side to defend against straight kicks.
>>
Muay Thai practitioners are able to deliver powerful blows like knees and elbows in clinching range.

Western Boxing practitioners don't generally have knowledge of how to defend against knees and elbows when in the clinch, and Western Boxing practitioners don't generally have knowledge of how to effectively attack in clinching range.

Western Boxing attacks are also generally less effective and powerful in clinching range.
>>
Generally speaking, for a pure Western Boxing practitioner to effectively attack and defend against a Pure Muay Thai practitioner, the boxer should avoid the kicking range that Muay Thai practitioners are effective in, and avoid the clinching range that Muay Thai practitioners are effective in.
>>
Generally speaking, it'd be wise for a pure Boxer to defend against a kick while simultaneously closing distance and punching, and then moving out of the pure Muay Thai practitioner's kicking range.
This could be used as a way to minimize the Damage the Boxer obtains, capitalize on moments to attack, while avoiding clinching and being kicked.
>>
Generally speaking, if a pure Muay Thai practitioner were in punching range with a pure Boxer, and the Muay Thai practitioner were to attempt to close the distance to clinch, it'd be wise for the Boxer to quickly create distance while simultaneously attacking.
>>
A relatively common move in Muay Thai is a front leg front push kick.
Generally speaking, this kick is used by a Muay Thai practitioner to create distance from his opponent.
With this kick being a straight kick, generally speaking, it'd be wise for a pure Boxer to side step or dodge this kick while simultaneously closing distance and attacking.
From this point, generally speaking, the Muay Thai practitioner may chose to attempt to clinch or create distance to kick.
>>
File: anti-bjj-kick.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
anti-bjj-kick.gif
1MB, 320x180px
>>756429
>Just wondering because I'm gonna start taking boxing and was wondering what would happen if I ran into someone on the street who did something like Muay Thai, would I just get embarrassed or would I stand a fighting chance.

On the streets, the most common type of fighter to encounter is a Boxer.
Commonly, the Boxer isn't even a good Boxer.
Boxing would be reliable for most street fights.

Even if you were a Boxer, and your street fighting opponent was a Muay Thai practitioner, your opponent could be crap at Muay Thai.

Generally speaking, It'd be more optimal to have Muay Thai training rather than Boxing training when fighting against a Muay Thai fighter, but Boxing could still be effective if the Boxer was a better fighter in general (not better Boxer, but better fighter in general) than the Muay Thai fighter.

Generally speaking, in the end, for a hand to hand combat fight on the streets, it'd be best to be trained for MMA competition, given that you don't fight 3 guys and try to submit the first guy, it's easy to get an anti-bjj kick that way.
>>
>>756432
>>756433
Strategy and tactics should definitely also be added to these fundamental things.
>>
>>756429
Generally speaking, the Western Boxer and Muay Thai practicioner will not engage in fight in street unless they have to defend themselves. Generally speaking, people trained in martial arts do not start fights so they avoid getting embarassed using Muay Thai training or more Western Boxing oriented style. It is a commonly and general Strategy that is taught in every Combat Sport, that also should be added to this topic as a fundamental mental skill.
>>
>>756467
wut
>>
>>756467
>Generally speaking, the Western Boxer and Muay Thai practicioner will not engage in fight in street unless they have to defend themselves
citation, pls

>Generally speaking, people trained in martial arts do not start fights so they avoid getting embarassed using Muay Thai training or more Western Boxing oriented style.
Are you saying that Boxers or Muay Thai practitioners would be embarrassed about using martial arts in fights?
>>
>>756429

Yes, you have chances.

It's much easier to connect a solid punch with your hands than to connect a kick with your legs.

Kicks are coming from dead angles (for boxers), but you make up for this with speed and power. Or let me put it like this: IF the Mauy Thai guy can evade your punches and close into clinch, he'll have advantages. But if you are a good boxer he'll have a hard time to not get knocked out or taking a heavy hit in the first place.

Boxing is never a bad choice, amazing reaction time and explosiveness, good eye, good movement. If you insist you can add some kick training later on. You learn how to defend against kicks pretty fast, where as attacking with kicks against a moving opponent on the street is something that takes a lot of skill.
>>
>>756500
>amazing reaction time and explosiveness, good eye, good movement.
Same thing could be said about American Kickboxing, Savate, Sanshou, Taekwondo, Muay Thai, and even grappling styles.
>>
>>756500
>as attacking with kicks against a moving opponent on the street is something that takes a lot of skill.
No, it doesn't take a lot of skill, it especially doesn't take a lot of skill on the streets.
>>
>>756500
>IF the Mauy Thai guy can evade your punches and close into clinch, he'll have advantages. But if you are a good boxer he'll have a hard time to not get knocked out or taking a heavy hit in the first place.
See: >>756430 for Boxing vs Muay Thai

See this for street fighting body builder vs skill and leg kicks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9tBImA0LRo

see this for street vs Muay Thai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl8v5b1v5V8
>>
>>756501

I've trained in serveral martial arts and IMHO boxers have the fastest reaction time / footwork / explosiveness.

>>756502

Yes it does.
Of course it's doable to kick someone, but it's ridiculously harder than to just hit someone in the face. Most "kicking videos" on youtube are sucker punch situations, but to land a good kick is not that easy and I have seen it going wrong before.
>>
>>756500

>boxing vs muay thai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDQvRj8I_Ws

>boxing vs street boxer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMLsva5HuMM

and I'll link the video in the first post, just for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ7bbmjtAB0
>>
>>756507
>Most "kicking videos" on youtube are sucker punch situations
I'm starting to think that you're just a troll.
>>
>>756508
>>boxing vs street boxer
muay thai vs street boxer
>>
>>756505

>See: >>756430 for Boxing vs Muay Thai

You fail to see that a street fight works differently than a ring match in many aspects.

You don't have time to strecht, you might have the wrong clothes, you might not have enough room to kick.

But the most important factor is: you often don't have time to "get ready to fight", suddenly someone throws a punch and there you go..

Now boxing has a lot more practice with evading punches, and even more with distance management, which is more crucial, tactical and versatile in boxing than in MT.

BTW I'm training a kicking style so I think I'm kinda unbiased here. But boxing on the street is really really strong.
>>
>>756511
You're posting resembles that of someone very biased, and I'm going to stop responding now.
>>
>>756512

Yeah, do what you want..

I think it's kinda sad that /asp/ mostly consists of armchair warriors, who watch youtube videos and make claims like "oh, there is a video that clearly shows how MT is superior", instead of judging by their own experience.

I have some experience so let me tell you one thing: if you piss off a good boxer on the street you probably won't even see the first hit coming.

This advice is for free, try it out sometime, and then come back here and tell me how you dropped the boxer with your kick to the knee. I'm just telling you it won't happen than way.
>>
>>756514

>confirmed troll
>>
Now that the confirmation has been had...

>>756514
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>756514
this was the only guy in the thread giving even remotely viable advice

i really wish martial arts could just be removed from the scope of this board, fedora tipping autists have completely ruined anything that could possibly be beneficial
>>
>tfw OP was in on the troll
>>
>>756525
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Special Ed, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on the candy drawer, and I have over 300 confirmed gold stars. I am trained in gorilla conversation and I'm the top crafter in the entire US education system. You are nothing to me but just another conversation doll. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of aspies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can confuse you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed conversation, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Johnson School Gym and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit spaghetti all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>756438
There is no 1 kicking range chief. A MT knee kick has a much shorters range than the longest kick in existence - the side teep.
>>
>tfw the whole thread is one guy
>>
>>756535
aren't most threads on /asp/ one guy talking to himself, trolling himself, and then feeling outrage over himself? Seems like its all samefagging.
>>
File: Bruce Lee - Step Side Kick.gif (495KB, 500x193px) Image search: [Google]
Bruce Lee - Step Side Kick.gif
495KB, 500x193px
>>756531
>the longest kick in existence - the side teep.
Are you sure it's not the step side teep?
>>
>>756429
You'll beat the point sparring krottyka, tkdfags and other arts that don't go hard/learn leg kicks
http://youtu.be/rNxaNAm_fWQ
>>
>>756543
It has the same length from the center of your body. According to your logic, I could punch 50 miles if I wast in a rocket..
>>
>>756575
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnWCImo4N0g
>>
>>756484
citation :
>Generally speaking, the Western Boxer and Muay Thai practicioner will not engage in fight in street unless they have to defend themselves

> Are you saying that Boxers or Muay Thai practitioners would be embarrassed about using martial arts in fights?
Generally speaking, practicioners of any combat sport will use what they've been taught if they are forced into it, like kicks, punches, knees, etc, as well as strategy and martial tactics (that should be added to fundamentals techniques).

Generally speaking, a practicioner will try to avoid rekting his untrained opponent in the street because they are not trained in kicks, jabs, elbows, etc, and neither did they learn strategy or martial tactics (that should be added to fundamentals), because generally speaking, fighting in the street is already an embarassment in itself and brutally murdering a innocent lamb with your deadly bodily weapons is not a purpose in itself.
>>
>CTRL + F 'Generally speaking'
>16 results

>>756608

no idea what makes you think this but it's certainly not correct.
>>
>>756525

Thanks, dude.

>>756519
>>756521

Who's the troll here?

You might want to look at this video, notice how the second guy attacks with a kick and gets KTFO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJUw7OXXGwg

Then I'll show you another video, it's a Muay Thai guy (police ofiicer) fighting against some dude. What does he use? Low kicks? High kicks? No. The attacker closes distance with a punch and so he uses plain old boxing techniques to finish him (apart form a single knee that didn't connect). And his boxing isn't even high level, his hooks are rather sloppy. A good boxer would have ended this situation much faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHrSpm0SSGA

Last but not least, here's a video of tips for street fighting against multiple opponents (a thing that doesn't happen in the ring but is pretty common on the streets). Notice that movement is crucial for almost all tips and matter of fact you can easily move in all very fast directions while throwing a punch (i.e. creating distance while punching), and boxing is all about keeping moving, whereas it's not possible to maintain the same level of movement while throwing kicks. No matter if you are a god of distance managing, the moment you throw a kick you have to plant you foot somehow and that makes you slower than a boxer, so that "kicking martial arts" often require you to stay standing for cheking kicks.
>>
>>756633

Sorry, forgot the last video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EB-VQhkrTs
>>
>>756484
>citation, pls
Do FMA and MT. Coach has made it very clear if he finds out about any of the gym member starting fights they'll get kicked out.
>>
>>756437
Boxing in clinching range is called in-fighting and it happens a lot you double nigger.
>>
>>756527
I wasn't, i just want to know if I would get my ass beat or not
>>
It's retarded because they're wearing gloves. Might as well have kick boxers wear huge padded shoes. If they weren't wearing gloves they could easily grab the outstretched leg or foot and use that to destroy the kickboxer.
>>
File: abandon thread.gif (2MB, 315x177px) Image search: [Google]
abandon thread.gif
2MB, 315x177px
>it's still going on
kek
>>
>>756687
Here's the deal:
Half of Muay Thai is boxing.
They often spar under boxing rules to train their hands. In a street fight, a Muay Thai guy could simply NOT KICK and only box.
So, if you fight a Muay Thai practitioner that's better at boxing than you you will lose. If they're equal to your skill in boxing then you probably will lose because they have more tools than you.

You need a level of boxing skill high enough to compensate for the fact that they see all of your techniques in sparring every day and you've never seen about half of theirs.

So, you'll definitely be at a disadvantage, but it's silly to plan your life around the possible outcomes in hypothetical fight. Do boxing, and if you get interested in Muay Thai you'll be way ahead of the curve on fitness, sparring iq, and boxing.
>>
>>756716
Thanks, that was really helpful actually, very nice advice. I guess it's pretty silly to think about the what ifs but I was just curious, I think I will do boxing and try to get to a high enough level that I don't have to worry anymore
>>
street fights and sanctioned fights are two different things imo; on the street you won't have time to warm up and stretch and might wear some pants that don't allow you to kick efficiently, so you probably end up just throwing hands.
in the ring however, a mauy thai fighter probably kicks a boxers ass if they have the same amount of experience, just by keeping the distance and taking out the legs
>>
>>756716
Tell me more about how they spar in MT oh knowledgeable anon
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.