[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

help me become more weeaboo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: kendo.jpg (129KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
kendo.jpg
129KB, 1280x853px
So after 6 years of fencing sabre I got bored and lacked training. HEMA was too... dishonourable for my liking so found a nice kendo dojo. After few weeks I got a set of bogu to try adjust to bouting with it asap but I can't even seem to follow training g for longer than an hour after the beginner and kat session.

I Ihit the gym every other day to increase actual str rather than pure dexterity atm.

Any suggested regime to add for me to get used to running around around and shouting in this strap of armour?

Thanks
>>
>>743640
>train effective fighting style
>complain because it's dishonorable

It's as if you want to lose.
>>
>>743640

Since you want to go weeabo: Kyokushin Karate.
>>
>>743678
>effective
>requires carrying around a fucking sword
*nods respectfully*
>>
do the anime weeaboo shit
just wear the armour and do suburi for 5 hours a day
>>
Honestly? Keep going to kendo classes. Other cardio on off days would help, but the thing that's gonna help you last longer during kendo is pushing how long you train further and further progressively.
>>
I really got into swords recently.

Kajukenbo has street sword techniques, if I remember correctly.

Ninjutsu is also good for that, look into it

Daijubo-chotto is a Malasian/Japanese sword art

Inochiiku is known as "two heaven technique", very good style I believe for swordsmanship

Tán Tuǐ has a twin sword technique, and a Tán Tuǐ practitioner known as Andre once beat two HEMA guys in front of my eyes... this is a very good art.

Liu Seong Kuntao, Bafaquan, Daisan-no Bakudan styles... all superior to Kendo.
>>
>>743678
>effective
Honestly if you're going to carry a sword you might as well carry a gun.
>>
>>743640
Ask your sensei about Kakarigeiko. That's probably the only way you can build your stamina up, and also at the same time you train your reflexes.
>>
>>743640
>HEMA was too... dishonourable for my liking
Can you explain why? I'm not going to argue, I'm just curious.
>>
I've never heard it mentioned here, maybe because it's already been shit on ad nauseum, but have you considered Haidong gumdo?
>>
>>743820
you're such a fucking faggot Wu holy shit
>>
>>743899
>Haidong gumdo

Or he could just make shit up and cut stuff in his back yard. It would be the same thing
>>
>>743891

I understand they try to be martial arts but when two opines test their metal against each other i.e. In a bout, HEMA looks more like a drunken brawl than actual swordsmen ship.
>>
>>743899
Did it for like 4 years when I was a kid. It was relexing, but fencing got me to enjoy hitting people with a stick and trolling them at the same time... maybe I'll start looking into nitoryu for mega lolz
>>
>>744009
I understand and I partially agree with you. In bouts people seem to forget what they learned.
>>
>>744009
>>744192
It really depends of the bout, some looks really great. It may depends on the context (tournament, display, etc...) and on the level of the fighters.

Then again, it's true that most fight can devolve in furious brawls.
>>
I would rather do hema but we just have kendo and the one with metal wires (who the fuck wants to battle with wires?) here so I'm trying kendo.
>>
>>743640

Just keep going to training. It was the same for me at the beginning, I didn't do any other stamina training and nowadays everything is just fine. It's natural in the beginning. Also don't give up during training when you hit your first "I can't do this any longer" barrier. That's where you have to power through with your mind and keep going a little further. It's important not to overdo it to the point of damage to your body, but it's also important to push yourself a little further than this point. You'll be surprised how much power you have left, and that last kirikaeshi when you think you're about to faint is the single most important 30 seconds of the whole training session.
>>
>>750671>>750671

Thanks anon. Op here.

Been 4 weeks since I started. Now I can power through beginners training part with ease and kinda stop in mid training in advanced class due to just... stamina a failure. But movement is becoming more autonomous like when I do fencing. And apparently my accuracy helps a lot when I make the hits. Wearing bogu is the next part of challenge. Frigging thing is a heat trapper.
>>
>>750681

Just be glad that it's not summer anymore. Also as I said, try to do a little more each time and go over that initial "I can't do it anymore" feeling. When you reach that point, have the mental power to go on until you REALLY can't go anymore.
>>
Unfortunately competetive kendo is not very close to "legit" swordsmanship to say what HEMA to my understanding would be.

The more you "sport-ify" a martial art (sparring, competitions, tournaments, etc.) the more it easily evolves into simple minded target hitting and rule abusement. The same is true with kendo, having evolved from actual doctrine of killing another person with a blade; kenjutsu.

In kendo there is only four different targets where you are allowed to strike in your opponents' armor and the way you do it (stance, swings, leg movement etc.) is very rigorous. In HEMA the techniques you use is much more free, unless I'm mistaken.
>>
>>743640
>>750681
Technique is a huge part of not getting fatigued, this will be solved by just doing more kendo and paying attention to using the right muscles when striking, i.e grip strength to "flick" the shinai rather than using your upper arms.

As for actual stamina training, short distance running and interval training is great for legs and stomach. Run on the ball of your feet rather than you heel to increase calf strength/stamina. However don't get fivefingers as they will wreck your knees. I usually just run 2km as fast as I can twice a week. Basically you want to increase your recovery speed rather than your max running distance.

For forearms you can mix suburi with some dedicated forearm exercises. I would advise against this though as your form is likely to be pretty shit at the moment and practicing at home might enforce bad habits. Maybe do just some forearm exercises? Your sensei should be able to show you a couple. I could link a video, but I'll have to do some digging first.

But seriously, you've been doing it for four weeks, just give it some time and your body will adjust.
>>
>>754346
>However don't get fivefingers as they will wreck your knees.
This is the first I've heard of this.
So is it something wrong with fivefingers shoes specifically or is the whole idea of barefoot=natural=healthy fundamentally flawed?
>>
>>754408
I personally use fivefingers quite a lot, but can't see the correlation to how they would wreck your knees any worse than, say, running bare feet. They just offer no cushioning compared to running shoes.
>>
>>754418
Of course they'll hurt your legs if you run like you would with normal shoes on (heel first), or start too hard without time for your body to adapt to the technique.

Every kendoka should really pay attention to how they walk anyway, not just while training.
>>
>>754408
>>754408
>>754418
Ask any physiotherapist about how many new patients they gotten since their introduction. VIbram also got sued recently if I recall correctly. Basically it's the lack of cushioning that's the problem, it's alright if you run on soft ground, i.e. grass, but asphalt not so much. It's nothing wrong with flatfooted running shoes, just make sure to get some that actually has some cushioning.

>bare feet
This isn't really good either, if you don't run on a soft surface.

>start too hard without time for your body to adapt to the technique
This too, you can develop shin splints quite easily if you're not careful, even if you have proper cushioning and technique.
>>
>>743797
>not carrying a sword everywhere
>>
>>754346
OP here. Thanks!

Been trying to get bad habits of fencing out which is pretty hard as its been hardwired for last 6 years in competition levels.

Main issue I seem to have is the way I land after I hit (heels first) and end up in ridiculous lunge if I get a little excited.

But other than that, its all going great. Having fun. But is there special school of more defensive countering method of kendo I can check out? I have physical heart condition and cant seem to last 5 mins for bout is I go at full speed...
>>
>>755502
You'll learn counterattacks as you go. It doesn't really matter a lot if you aren't launching a flurry of attacks all the time, especially if you have a hard condition. But that doesn't mean to not be aggressive. Focus on footwork, positioning, pressure your opponent with those and strike. Being offensive doesn't necessarily mean going full blast.
>>
sandan kendo here

getting tired after one hour of begginer and kata pratice has more to do with being too tense than actual physical condition

my sensei is in his 60s, overweight, and can do more and faster kakarigeiko than me
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.