[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sg/ - Ski General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 56

File: niggers tongue my anus.jpg (148KB, 536x603px) Image search: [Google]
niggers tongue my anus.jpg
148KB, 536x603px
/sg/ - Ski General #4
Qt edition
Last thread: >>621484

>I've never skied before, what do I need to know before I start?
pastebin.com/gpincHC3

>What skis should I get?
evo.com/how-to-choose-skis-size-chart-and-guide.aspx

>What boots should I get?
It is extremely important to get boots that fit you well and to have them heat moulded. Therefore, it is very important to go to a professional bootfitter (not just a ski shop, but specifically a bootfitter). For a list of reputable bootfitters, refer to epicski.com/wiki/boot-fitters-on-epicski
You can also consider getting custom footbeds for increased comfort and performance. If you are a beginner this is not that important (though getting boots from a bootfitter is), but if you are an advanced-expert skier it will make a big difference.

>Why is it so important to go to a bootfitter?/I went to a bootfitter and still have a problem, what's wrong?
epicski.com/a/boot-fitting-which-boot-will-work-for-me

>What bindings should I get?
The most important things to consider with bindings are DIN range and brake width. Your DIN should be around the middle of your binding's DIN range. For example, if you ski with a DIN of 7, a 4-12 binding would be good for you. A 1-7 or a 7-16 would be bad. If you don't know your DIN, look up a DIN chart.
The brake width should be approximately equal to the waist of the ski. It's better for the brake to be a little smaller than a little bigger (ski shop techs can bend the brakes when they mount the bindings), but if you go more than 7mm or so smaller the brakes might not fit well. Going up to about 10mm wider on the brakes is alright too as long as you don't carve really aggressively.

>Where should I ski?
Right now: onthesnow.com/skireport.html
In general: onthesnow.com/ski-resort.html

>I suck at skiing, how can I get better?
Stop being a faggot and huck something big. Or post video of you skiing ITT and we'll critique it.

>Is it true that only faggots snowboard?
Yes.
>>
Skiing is for cucks
>>
I really hope El Nino delivers, last season fucking blew. Can't wait to get out of CA either, sick of being snowcucked by the rest of the country. The PNW sounds nice.

>>727838
typical boarder
>>
>>727873
>PNW sounds nice
Agreed. Not sure if I should go there or back to Utah or somewhere else this winter.
>tfw live in Minnesota
>1400km from nearest good skiing
>2000km+ from the places I like skiing most

Also, my 2015 season edit is finally done. Watch it, faggots. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMIf8WD9eeM
>>
Fuck
>>
>>728495
a nigger in the ass.
>>
File: es.em.jee2.jpg (278KB, 603x569px) Image search: [Google]
es.em.jee2.jpg
278KB, 603x569px
>>
File: Abbey.jpg (132KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
Abbey.jpg
132KB, 720x720px
>>
>>727944
Do you seriously just have all your weight on the balls of your feet?
Time for some lessons buddy before your next edit
>>
just started skiing last year, can only do blue squares comfortably and usually fall like once or twice on black diamonds.

Whats the best way to improve my skiing ability during the off season? How do you guys train/prepare/improve when you cant actually ski?

Also, all I want to do is ski now! It sucks having the craving to go ski and knowing I have to wait another two months. What other sorta hobbies do you guys do to stay busy/entertained? Ive been slacklining for a few months and have gotten bretty good but I'd love to have other options
>>
>>730316
If you think you're better than me, let's play GNAR and find out. If not, then fuck off.
>>730353
Cycling and working on bikes.
>>
>>727944
how long have you been skiing?
>>
>>730562
Since December 1999, I think. Mostly in the Midwest until the 2013/2014 season though (meaning only small hills with no off-piste). I spent the last two winters in Utah.
>>
>tfw parents packed up, sold house and are moving to a ski mountain
>tfw ski everyday of winter break
>>
File: Bookends Double.webm (845KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Bookends Double.webm
845KB, 1280x720px
Reposting webms I've posted before to keep /sg/ alive
>>
File: Rasta Couloir.webm (692KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Rasta Couloir.webm
692KB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: Double.webm (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Double.webm
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: Ballbuster2.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Ballbuster2.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: skis.jpg (91KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
skis.jpg
91KB, 640x640px
Do touring get paid get laid. Would really love to go to NA one day. Prefer skiing in absolute shit snow conditions though here in NZ.

Better to go skiing with people that are going to push you to the limits not some laid back "oh lets ride these trails or go through the park the entire day"
>>
>>727764

>bought those same Armada skis
>off of Newschoolers
>they belonged to a girl

I may own the skis in the OP.
>>
>>732727
What is your NS name?
>>
File: Marcus Kleveland.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Marcus Kleveland.webm
1MB, 640x360px
>>
>>732938
And we'll call him THE FAGGOT TORNADO!
>>
File: Little Kong.webm (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Little Kong.webm
2MB, 1920x1080px
I really want to ski right now.
>>
File: Door 2.webm (832KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Door 2.webm
832KB, 720x480px
>>
File: Shredding The Gnar.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Shredding The Gnar.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: September-18-2015-Brin-Merkley1.jpg (3MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
September-18-2015-Brin-Merkley1.jpg
3MB, 5184x3456px
Holy shit, did you guys see Big Sky today?

I guess it's time to start building up stoke for the season already. Hopefully we get some this winter in CA.
>>
These are my skis
Are they any good?
(pursuit 18 elite)
>>
>>732881

Borchmore, haven't been on in a minute though
>>
>>734257
If you like skiing fast and aggressively on groomers, yes.
If you like skiing off-piste, no.

More accurately, if you enjoy skiing on them, yes.
>>
>>734967
You like buying t-shirts.

What pinkname did you get the skis from?
>>
still the best segment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-VCWUtNm-4
>>
>>735902
Shit like this makes me so pissed that I grew up in some bumfuck suburb in the south. It's not fair
>>
>>735921
Move to the mountains, anon! I'll ski with you~
>>
File: Snowbird.jpg (155KB, 600x296px) Image search: [Google]
Snowbird.jpg
155KB, 600x296px
Any Utahfags here?
>>
Any Ontario fags here?
>>
Any Minnesotafags here?
>>
File: Gunsight2.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Gunsight2.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>735870

I only got like 5 shirts from one dude, no one else has offered (and I have enough thrift store stuff anyways). I didn't get it from a pinkname, it was some guy selling them because his GF got new skis. Sunman222 sold me them
>>
File: fineline in Grizzly Gulch.jpg (169KB, 732x549px) Image search: [Google]
fineline in Grizzly Gulch.jpg
169KB, 732x549px
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehOkSEZQIGw
>>
File: DaceFace.jpg (325KB, 994x559px) Image search: [Google]
DaceFace.jpg
325KB, 994x559px
>>
>tfw no qt3.14 skier waifu
Hold me /sg/
>>
File: 1419751948849.gif (471KB, 240x159px) Image search: [Google]
1419751948849.gif
471KB, 240x159px
>tfw finally finding this general
no idea /sg/ existed for some reason. any racebros or patrollers in here? getting mad hyped for the season
>tfw qt gf is rail park board peasant
she was almost perfect
>>
>>732938
holy shit that guy rides like a cable park wakeboarder. its like hes ignoring the jumps
>>
Guys i'm looking for some new skiis as i will be skiing alot the next couple o' years.
I would describe myself as an intermediate/advanced skiier capable of riding the most difficult pistes fairly easily.
I do not have alot of off-piste experience, but i would like to have my skiis to not limit me in that aspect. Im skiing 60% piste/ 20% off piste / 20% park
So far i've looked at
Rossignol 88 XP'ence 13'
K2 AMP 80x
My budget is around 700 bucks
Do you guys have any recommendations?
>>
acquiring 161 Armada AR7s secondhand. I'm 5'10" and 155 pounds, and these will be my first twin tips so I dont know fitting. basically getting these as a trial model for freestyle but 161 sounds a it small, as even my slalom skis are 164s. whats the optimal size for freestyle, and have any expert(race level) skiers on here had experience with them?
>>
Washington here. Ski stevens pass mostly. Rockin 178 K2 Pettitors at 5'9" 170lbs. fucking amazing skis. They will kill it in every type of snow you can find
>>
>>740597
>Washington
>Pettitors
You are based as fuck, anon. Best skis and best state.
>>
>>740355
>optimal size
Depends on preference. Different people will give you very different answers. My advice would be 170, but that's a huge generalization making a lot of assumptions. Other people will probably tell you longer because long is the cool thing right now.

As long as they are your first twin tips, 161 should be fine if you are willing to only use them for one or maybe two seasons. Shorter means easier for spins and such, but less stable for landing jumps and cliffs.
>>
>>740148
>Rossignol 88 XP'ence
>K2 AMP 80x
Don't get these if you ski park and off piste 40% of the time. They are too carving/groomer oriented.
My recommendation would be the Shreditor 102s. Evo has a great deal on them right now. http://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/k2-shreditor-102.aspx

You might be better off with something a little narrower right now, but if you want to venture into off-piste and park, chances are you'll find yourself skiing that more and more, and groomers less and less. So even if 102mm isn't perfect for you right now, you'll get used to them and learn to love them, and in another year or so you'll be very glad you have them.
That's my take on it anyway. Go ahead and get something a little narrower if you want, it will be better for carving groomers, and arguably a bit better in the park, but will sacrifice off-piste performance. If that's the route you want to go, consider the Shreditor 92. Same as the skis I mentioned above but 10mm narrower. Again, Evo has a great deal on them right now.
http://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/k2-shreditor-92.aspx#image=77309/354985/k2-shreditor-92-skis-2015-163.jpg
I advise against going any narrower than that. I carve my 117mm pow skis on groomers like they're race skis, hard to do at first but plenty doable when you get used to the skis.
>>
>>740148
Also, where do you live and ski? The ideal skis for someone in the alps can in some cases be significantly different than the ideal skis for someone in British Columbia (due to different terrain).
>>
>>740956
Alps/sweden/norway
Thanks for the advice!
The 40% park and off piste was just an estimate of what i'll be doing the next couple of vacations tho. Right now im pretty terrible at both,
>>
>>741050
You'll get better and you'll find yourself skiing that kind of stuff more and more. Given that you ski in the Alps, the pairs you looked at initially wouldn't be *as* bad of a choice as I had made them out to be, just because of the type of terrain in the alps -- less tree/pow skiing than in, say, North America. But even still I stand by my previous advice. If you only ski on ski trips and only in the Alps and are okay with buying new skis in a few years when you have progressed a lot, then I might lean towards the Shreditor 92 (instead of 102), but that's only if you ski little-to-no powder. If you ski much pow then it's worth having something wider because wide skis make pow skiing *way* more fun.
>>
Less than a month!
>>
Fug, shouldn't have opened the thread. Now I want to get skiing even more. Been looking at a pair of Head i.SL RD. 700 euros for a pair of new skis with bindings isn't that bad and I really need a new pair.

>>740148
>>740955
>60% piste
>recommending 102s or 92s
Can you stop giving bad advice? Narrow piste carvers are much better off piste than the super wide pow skis are on piste. And after all it's better to buy skis for the environment you're going to be skiing the most. If at some point you find out you like some other form of skiing more get skis that fit it. Many people want to find the 1 magical ski that will fit all roles. I'm sorry to burst their bubble but there is no such ski. There isn't a single pair of skis in the world that is good both on and off piste when your speeds increase to the level good skies usually go.

>>I carve my 117mm pow skis on groomers like they're race skis, hard to do at first but plenty doable when you get used to the skis.
>I've never even tried actual race skis
And before you insist otherwise please provide video evidence of you carving both the 117s and race skis as it's something I'd like to see.
>>
>>741827
>>60% piste
>>recommending 102s or 92s
>Can you stop giving bad advice?
Except it's not bad advice because that range is ideal for a good mix of on piste and off piste.
>Narrow piste carvers are much better off piste than the super wide pow skis are on piste.
If you think that 92-102 qualifies as "super wide" and/or as "pow skis" then you are delusional. If you are unable to comfortably and skillfully ski on-piste with pow skis (and by this I mean real pow skis, not 102s) then you are obviously a bad skier and/or have little-to-no experience on pow skis. And that's okay, you'll get better. It only takes a few days to get used to pow skis even for someone who has never used them before.
>>
>>741827
>And after all it's better to buy skis for the environment you're going to be skiing the most.
Since anon skis a good mix of on-piste, off-piste, and park, I recommended skis that are a good compromise for those three areas.
>Many people want to find the 1 magical ski that will fit all roles. I'm sorry to burst their bubble but there is no such ski.
If "all roles" means racing, park competitions, big mountain competitions, bc touring, etc, then of course there is not a single pair of skis that will do it all. But for someone who doesn't race and is a good skier, there certainly are skis that can be used 99% of the time for lift/cat/heli-accessed skiing. There is a reason that many professional skiers use the same skis for pretty much everything: They (like me) like getting used to that one pair of skis, and there is no reason that a good skier can't ski well on all terrain with their preferred pair of skis.
>There isn't a single pair of skis in the world that is good both on and off piste when your speeds increase to the level good skies usually go.
I ski fast. Up to more than 90mph (confirmed by GPS) on groomers on pow skis. "Good skiers" rarely go much over 60. You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Anyone that doesn't suck can ski well on groomers on pow skis.
>>I carve my 117mm pow skis on groomers like they're race skis, hard to do at first but plenty doable when you get used to the skis.
>>I've never even tried actual race skis
I own a pair of race skis. I used to race.
>And before you insist otherwise please provide video evidence of you carving both the 117s and race skis as it's something I'd like to see.
I don't film myself carving groomers. It's pointless. When I film, it's because I am hucking cliffs or straightlining chutes.
>>
Free the heel, free the mind
>>
>>736030
soon to be utahfag in a year, been skiing there since I was a boy though, cant wait to be back
>>
>>742466
Snowbird?
>>
>>742164
>>742168
Only powfags are delusional enough to think their skis are actually good on groomers. Or maybe they're all just from an area where they get so much snow that they've never even seen a good iced out boilerplate or injected slope.

I've skied a lot on wider skis, yeah they're fun on powpow but I've yet to try a pair that can hold an edge or carve like a real race ski. Hell I've yet to meet a pair of "performance" carvers that can do it.
>>
>>742507
If you can't carve on pow skis, you suck at skiing. Simple as that. That said, I fail to see how pow skis are even relevant to the discussion considering the recommended skis are 92mm and 102mm.
>>
>>742514
I'm not saying I can't carve on pow skis. I can carve a 2 m straight ski so not knowing how to carve isn't the problem. I'm saying you can't carve with them like on a race ski, or even a performance ski. The problem is that the wide flexy partly rocker ski just can't hold an edge on ice when you put it under pressure. They just aren't built for that and if they were they wouldn't be a very good pow ski. The qualities of a good on piste ski are different than those of a good off piste ski.

I classify anything above 90 mm to pow skis because that's where they're meant to be skied at. No matter what anyone in the marketing department tells you 90 mm is plenty wide for pow skiing and 100 mm is even better. Obviously the wider you go the easier it gets. I'm not sure if you're old enough to remember but people used to ski pow just fine on their 65 mm slalom skis before wide skis became a thing.
>>
>>742524
>I'm saying you can't carve with them like on a race ski,
I can, but that's irrelevant because anon is not looking for a pair of skis to race on.
>I classify anything above 90 mm to pow skis because that's where they're meant to be skied at.
Lolno, 90mm-110mm skis are not designed for pow. They are designed for all mountain use, meaning a combination of on-piste, off-piste (bumps/trees), and occasional pow. There obviously isn't a clearcut line but 112mm or so is where you get into skis that are optimized for pow.
>Obviously the wider you go the easier it gets
It's more about floatation (that is, fun) than ease, other than for hucking cliffs in which case wider skis are better due to providing a larger landing platform and therefore making it easier.
>people used to ski pow just fine on their 65 mm slalom skis before wide skis became a thing.
What's your point? I've used my slalom skis off-piste too. It's not hard, it's just not nearly as fun as floating through pow, charging chutes, and hucking cliffs on my rockered 117s.
>>
>>742533
Yeah he isn't looking to race but claiming a 117 mm pow ski acts like a race ski on a groomer just isn't true. You can carve any ski that has even a small sidecut. How it behaves depends on what ski it is, how fast you're going, how much pressure you're putting to the ski and what type of snow you're on. On slower speeds and on softer snow the pow ski might be able to hold up against a race ski but when you start putting pressure on the ski on ice the differences become clear.

And it wasn't me that brought up race skis.
>>
>>742539
I didn't say that a 117mm pow ski acts like a race ski. I said that I can carve it like a race ski. Maybe you can't. That's fine. They are very different skis. I also did not say boilerplate. Obviously on boilerplate a pow ski won't hold an edge as well. On a groomer in regular condition (that is, fairly good -- not boilerplate), I can carve a pow ski like a race ski. If you don't believe me, ski with me. Regardless, the discussion here was not about pow skis or racing so it doesn't really matter. I ski 117s pretty much every day, all terrain, all conditions. Great width for daily drivers for expert skiers. For the anon asking for advice, given that he is not an expert skier and puts less emphasis on off-piste, something around 100mm would make a great daily driver for him.
>>
>>742542
Regular groomer condition varies wildly depending on where you ski. On east coast boilerplate is the regular groomer condition but once you get a bit more west it becomes more of a rarity than the norm.

My daily drivers are 65 mm wide under my foot and 160 cm long. Great daily drivers for expert skiers in the conditions I'm skiing most of the time(though they're getting a bit old and losing their rebound, which is why I need a new pair). That is a relatively small resort with a lot of man made snow and ice.
>>
>>736030
Moving to salt lake in a week, will be working at a resort. You from the area?
>>
>>742672
No but I will be there skiing for a few months this winter. Will you be working and/or skiing at Snowbird? I've spent the last two winters there so I know the area pretty well, I can show you where all the cool lines are.
>>
>>742775
Yeah I'll be there. Pretty new to skiing though so it might be a while before I'm up to doing the more intense stuff. Pretty pumped though, the mountain looks sweet
>>
>>742956
Send me an email at [email protected]. Let's meet up this winter.
>>
any racerfags here? Im finally getting my first pair of twin tips (AR7) and want to know if these things are actually going to hold an edge well enough for hard turns
>>
>>742553
Boilerplate is more common on the east coast than west coast for sure, but that doesn't mean that groomers there are usually boilerplate. They're not. If you ski somewhere that only has groomers (or only groomers and bumps) and you never ski switch then those kind of skis are fine. For someone who skis off-piste much at all, they are far from ideal. Yeah, they'll work. Anything will. But they aren't the optimal choice.
>>743547
Bevel them right and keep them sharp and they'll carve great. Don't give them a race ski bevel though. Give them a good all around bevel (1 2 probably) and they'll do everything well. Aggressive carving, off piste, spinning, whatever you want to do.
>>
>>743717
>just because it doesn't happen where I ski it doesn't happen anywhere.
And I know they're nowhere near ideal off piste. As I said there isn't a single pair of skis that can do it all. So when I go off liste I'll grab a pair of wider skis. I'm not a poorfag NEET or a skibum so I can own multiple pairs of skis. Besides skis are cheap when comparing them to some of my other hobbies.

>>743547
Depends on what you're used to tbh. If you're used to the edge hold of a race ski they won't be the same. However with a good bewel they'll hold enough for you to be carving them just fine.
>>
Snowboarder passing thru thread on your left
>>
>>743759
I have multiple pairs of skis too. I have race skis. I have full camber all mountain twins. I have three pairs of pow skis. Yet I'm on the same skis (one of my pairs of pow skis) almost all the time, even when conditions suck. I like being used to the same skis all the time, it makes them more a part of me, and there is nothing they can't do. I have no problem holding an edge on them on bad condition groomers and dh race speeds.
>>
>>743759
im not expecting to carve like a hero on ice, just something that will let me push into my carves on groomers without giving way beneath me

>>743868
never ridden powder skis but that just sounds to me like you don't know how to make race skis really perform like they should.
>>
>tfw wanna visit indoor ski hall
>tfw couldn't bring my skis with me to Europe, so I'll have to rent
>tfw poor

This is not the hobby for me.
>>
File: P6050094.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
P6050094.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>743909

>indoor ski hall

Where the fuck do you live, in Dubai or something?

>tfw relatively poor student (make ~20k€ max/year
>still money to do 2 weeks at some mid-budget place in the Alps every January
>still money to do 10 days summerskiing in Norway every June
>still money to do 10+ days at the shit-tier local hill and the occasional shorter Nordic trips

I know that's not much compared to some on /sg/, but it's all about priorities tbh [spoiler]unless you're actually really dirt-poor in some shit country[/spoiler]
>>
>>743919

Wait, did the new Jap owner change the spoiler code or was it even allowed on /asp/, can't remember
>>
>>743919

I'm an American living in Germany right now. Due to the conditions of my student visa, I'm not allowed to have a job my first year here, so I'm living off of about $8000 I have saved up.
>>
>>743944
>germany
>indoor skiing
Nigga what are you doing? You've got Alps right next to you.

>>743901
>never ridden powder skis but that just sounds to me like you don't know how to make race skis really perform like they should.
He thinks going fast and doing a few carving turns while at high speeds qualifies them to be as good as race skis. But speed really doesn't even matter as long as you're going faster than the first time skier. You'll notice the differences when you really start driving the ski into ice and when you go to higher edge angles. Powder skis simply don't have the torsional/lateral stiffness that's required hold an edge there. And if they had they wouldn't be very good pow skis.

And if you can still can't notice the difference between a race and powder, or even race and performance skis you either don't know how to ski or you just don't have the legs to overpower those pow skis. And if it's the latter case you certainly can't get the most out of a race ski since you just simply don't have enough power to drive them properly.
>>
>>744132

Well, he could in theory have like 900km+ to the Alps if he lives in Northern Germany. Though afaik they have some lesser mountain ranges close to the Northern states with like 1100m max elevation, probably would be preferable to a fucking indoor skiing hall
>>
Ok so I know I need to go to a bootfitter - but what should I expect to budget for boots?
>>
>>744132
racerfag, can confirm what he said. basing this advice entirely on powder ski skier stereotypes, but if you don't lean forward and in to your turns you might as well be skiing on water-skis for all it matters. get over the top of your skis, and then you're going to start noticing that you can compress into your turns, rather than riding the skis and letting them do all the work. you probably wont feel this on racing skis because they're made to have all your weight in front, which you may not be talented enough to utilize fully yet
>>
>>743901
>never ridden powder skis but that just sounds to me like you don't know how to make race skis really perform like they should.
Ski with me then. I'll ski my 117mm rockers, you ski race skis. We'll see who can carve groomers better. Even with my edges dull as fuck I'll carve better than you unless it's boilerplate. If it's boilerplate, obviously race skis with good edges win.
>>
>>744324
Good boots are like $700-900 USD but you can find them cheaper on sale/clearance. Unfortunately it's a bad time of year to get cheap boots. Better to get them around the end of ski season when shops want to get rid of everything.
There's the bootfitter cost too, but if you buy boots from them, they might do the fitting for free.
Where do you live and how good of a skier are you?
>>
>>744446
>>744324
Btw the 700-900 is for the type of boots expert skiers use, you don't have to spend that much for good boots for a beginner-intermediate. I could be off here because I don't pay much attention to anything other than gear I would use myself, and I'm an expert skier. But I'm going to guess that solid intermediate level boots would be like 400-500
>>
>>744423
I'd love to take up on your offer for a couple of reasons but as I live in Europe it would be way too expensive of a trip just for that.

I just get the feeling that you don't know what carving really means. And if by some miracle you really are so good that you can outcarve me with pow skis you'd most likely be a blast to ski with.
>>
>>744132
>>744247

I'm in far west Germany, so yeah, the Alps are pretty far. I might make the trip over winter break though; if so, I'll post some stuff here.
>>
>>744423
>skiing since 3
>racing since 10
>run gates 3 times a week every week all season on nothing but eastern conditions (groomers and ice)

not being cocky, just stating facts. I ski in western NY where I'm average as far as serious racers and better than only like 3/4 of the "expert" skiers on my mountain, but every year I go out west with my dad, and we're better than probably 97% of the skiers I see. I've also never seen anybody on powder skis better than me in any of these trips, so I'm going to guess you on your "dull as fuck" powder skis aren't going to suddenly be the exception. not trying to trash talk you or anything, just trying to convince you that I know what the fuck I'm talking about and you might improve if you listen to advice instead of write me off.

also,
>117 mm
either that's a typo, or you're literally 12
>>
>>745108
>thinking that 117mm refers to skis that are 117cm long
m8, are you retarded? If I was talking about the length, I would have said centimeters, not millimeters. 117mm refers to the width. You are obviously the one who knows very little about skis here.
>thinking you are better than anyone on pow skis out west
Alright, I'll take you up on that. Are you going to be in Utah this winter?
Actually, before I waste my time: Have you ever hucked a cliff? Is "double black diamond" your idea of "difficult"?
>>
>>745243
>Actually, before I waste my time: Have you ever hucked a cliff? Is "double black diamond" your idea of "difficult"?
>claim you're better carver with "dull as fuck" pow skis than anyone here with race skis
>taking video of these world class carving skills is pointless
>when a contender appears shift the topic to hucking cliffs and slope categorization
Confirmed for powfag who can't into groomers or carving.

Before you embarrass yourself any more just go and get those world class carving skills on a video. If you're as good as you claim to be we could all learn something from it. I'm the eurofag but just like >>745108 said I'm yet to see anyone who's skiing better than me on a groomer with pow skis.
>>
>>745771
If anon wants to carve groomers with me, sure, I'll carve groomers and prove that I am better at carving groomers. But that would be pretty boring to do all day, no? Anon claimed that he is a better skier than people out west, not that he is a better carver (unless I misinterpreted his post). If we are discussing skiing as a whole, then cliff hucking most certainly is relevant. So is carving. That includes carving on pow skis.
>>
>>745773
>But that would be pretty boring to do all day, no?
Only if you don't know how to carve, sit on the ski and let it do all the work. Carving becomes fun when you start pushing the ski. And that is something you can't do on the pow ski which is why we're not convinced of your claims.

We've been talking about carving and groomers since you claim to be a god of skiing. Not having seen anyone ski better than him on pow skis means that he either hasn't done pow on those trips. Or that he can ski pow better than you. I wouldn't be surprised even if it was the latter since people who race and have raced for years tend to be pretty good on skis even if they're not on an iced out race course.

95% of the pow skiers I see here are worse than me on pow, even with their wide af pow skis. Just because you can ski pow on wide boards doesn't make you a good skier. There are also those that are way better than me but most powfags here are overconfident kids/manchilds who have no idea what they're doing and would be lost without their crutch boards.
>>
>>745799
>Only if you don't know how to carve, sit on the ski and let it do all the work.
It gets boring regardless. I ski pretty much every day during winter/spring. I would much rather be hucking cliffs and straightlining chutes than doing nothing but carving groomers all day.
>Carving becomes fun when you start pushing the ski.
Yes, it's fun. Try doing it all day every day. Sure, it remains fun, but not nearly as fun as other aspects of skiing.
>There are also those that are way better than me but most powfags here are overconfident kids/manchilds who have no idea what they're doing and would be lost without their crutch boards.
What makes you think I fall into the latter category? And are you implying that there is someone ITT who falls into the former category?
>>
>>745807
>straightlining anything
>fun
Pick one

If you do something every day it gets boring. Hucking cliffs, skiing pow or carving isn't an exception. Doing something else every now and then for variety keeps the fun in it. People like different aspects in skiing. Some people like pow, others like groomers more, it's all subjective and you can't say one is more fun than the other.

>What makes you think I fall into the latter category?
The way you act and present yourself.

>And are you implying that there is someone ITT who falls into the former category?
Most likely. I'll never know the answer to that without skiing with everyone ITT.
>>
File: nisememmes.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
nisememmes.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>>745799
>>745807

>crutch boards

Skiing pow by jumpturning every 0,01sec to keep afloat with some unoptimal <90mm skis, it's not really doesn't really make you a good skier either tbh, it just requires a shit ton of aerobic and leg endurance. Also there's nothing inherently skill-requiring about skiing backcountry with 100-110mm skis either, I personally often ski in that range just because the trade-off between touring performance and flotation in deep pow is a no-brainer in the conditions I usually ski in.

Also you two lovebirds should just kiss already, and ponder about the possibility that one of you is way superior outbounds and the other inbounds
>>
File: 1415581575274.jpg (59KB, 500x324px) Image search: [Google]
1415581575274.jpg
59KB, 500x324px
>>745243
>>745799
>>745807
>all these fucking posts
holy shit, you have to be trolling, and if you are this is masterful. every statement you make proves you blow dick at everything other than powder, but lets go through it one more time
>117mm
that was my bad for reading cm when it said mm, but the mistake was clear and not worth losing shit over

>hucked a cliff, double black diamond is difficult
the color/shape rating scale stopped being relevant to me since I was 15 and good enough to ski any terrain. I've skied basically everywhere in Park City, including every bowl I could find and any hike/cat skiing that was open. pretty much accepted the fact that I won't be legitimately challenged by marked terrain until I can start to afford heli skiing

>carving is boring to do all day
carving is a skill, and like all skills the only way to improve is to accept that you're not god's gift to groomers and know how to get better. I for one love the idea of fine-tuning my stance and turns to get the most out of my carves. here's a pro tip: I have, at any given time, about five different things queued up in my mind that I need to work on to improve my carving and with every turn I make I work on improving. since all your posts sound to me like you think you've mastered a skill that people spend their whole lives trying to perfect, I'm going to guess you haven't improved your carving in any real way since you decided to just coast on your skis like eurobro said.

>what makes you think I fall into the latter category
lets see
>calling out racerfags when you ride powder skis (overconfident)
>being clearly dependant on what are most likely shitty old powder skis (crutch)
>thinking that "hucking cliffs" is the epitome of skiing skill and that being able to point yourself down a hill straight on a black passes for a skill, instead of something stupid and fun to do (manchild)
all checks out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxKJBt38HWw
posting cuz based Ted Ligety is always relevent
>>
File: 1392670550603.gif (814KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1392670550603.gif
814KB, 320x240px
>first time in /sg/
>first posts I see are an eastern racer shit-talking an overconfident western powder skier while the european free-skier kindly tells tells everybody why they're wrong
good to see the stereotypes are followed like law here
>>
>>745831

off-season /sg/ is a real dark place
>>
>>745821
>>straightlining anything
>>fun
>Pick one
When the lines that I straightline are mandatory straightlines because they are only a few feet wide and missing a turn by a few centimeters means smashing into rocks, I'm going to pick both.
>The way you act and present yourself.
What if I'm actually a really good skier but just like shitposting on 4chan?
>Most likely. I'll never know the answer to that without skiing with everyone ITT.
Actually, you would only have to ski with one person ITT if that one person meets the criteria.
>>745828
I'm better off piste and on piste though. He's probably better at slalom and GS because I haven't raced gates in years, I'll give him that. But not on piste in general.
>>745831
>implying I'm wrong
>>
>>745829
>every statement you make proves you blow dick at everything other than powder, but lets go through it one more time
Actually, powder isn't even my strongest area.
>that was my bad for reading cm when it said mm, but the mistake was clear and not worth losing shit over
Anyone that knows even a little about skiing would instantly know that 117 refers to width when discussing pow skis even if units are not specified.
>pretty much accepted the fact that I won't be legitimately challenged by marked terrain until I can start to afford heli skiing
Heli skiing is unmarked terrain, m8. No one puts double black diamond signs in the backcountry. If you want challenge in bounds, of course PC won't offer it. If you ski Utah, go to Snowbird and Alta. Unlike PC they actually have challenging terrain.
> I'm going to guess you haven't improved your carving in any real way since you decided to just coast on your skis like eurobro said.
Coast on my skis? So skiing lines where missing a turn by a few centimeters means smashing into a rock face is the equivilent of "coasting"? In that case I guess coasting takes more skill than gates.
>>calling out racerfags when you ride powder skis (overconfident)
I'm not overconfident if I have the skill to back up my claims.
>>
>>745829
>>being clearly dependant on what are most likely shitty old powder skis (crutch)
Actually, they're only a few years old and are quite high end. I fail to see how powder skis are a "crutch". Off-piste they are useful because they provide flotation in pow (fun) and a stable landing platform for cliffs (if you stomp cliffs on your 70mm race skis then okay, I guess my pow skis are a "crutch" for cliff hucking, lol). Your race skis are a "crutch" on groomers.
>>thinking that "hucking cliffs" is the epitome of skiing skill
No. Skiing technical off-piste terrain in general. Hucking cliffs is one aspect of that. Also, it only counts as skill when the skier in question stomps them. Hucking them and tomahawking the landing means nothing.
>being able to point yourself down a hill straight on a black passes for a skill
>implying
>when I've been taking the complete opposite stance the whole time
>>
>>745870
>I have the skill to back up my claims.
citation needed
>>
>>745870
nobody in the east gives half a shit about width since we're all on race skis, but that doesn't matter. that and the heli skiing comment are just nitpicking.

by saying I skied park city, I mean all the places around it like Snowbird, Alta, and Deer valley and found nothing too challenging for me, but neither of us are shitty enough (hopefully) that pitch scares us, so that's just semantics too.

clearly I dont mean you coast in chutes, so Im going to guess that you picked that out to talk up yourself. I've done a shitload of chutes on the bowls, especially last year when Utah had shit skiing, and while I respect that as reasonably difficult honestly I find tree skiing more fun and challenging than anything I could find. also, comparing bombing chutes to running gates is a poor analogy. what I don't think you realize is that danger does not equate to skill, and I'm more impressed with somebody making record time on an easy course than watching somebody ski a chute on a sponsored ski movie.
>skill to back up my claims
see >>745894
have you ever done nastar? they usually set up easy af joke courses, but at the end of the day gates are gates, so if you've skied one and gotten a medal feel free to tell me which one you earned

>that paragraph where you say hucking a shitload of times
If I had to guess I'd say you're better than me at that, because its one of the only aspects of powder skiing where freestyle skills are more important than ski and edge control skills, and I suck at freestyle because if my coaches/parents caught me at a park they'd have slapped the shit out of me for risking injury.

(cont.)
>>
>>745918
(cont.)
I'm not trying to show anybody up or claim that powder skiing is lame, I'm just trying to state that as somebody who's been racing my whole life, I most likely have better carving form than you. since you actually live where powder exists instead of praying for it on a week long trip planned months in advance, you're probably better at that shit than I am. I come here to talk and learn about skiing. If I can give advice to somebody like you and next season you slap on a pair of race skis on a shit day, pound some groomers, and walk off the hill a better skier, I'd be happy, just like I hope you'd be happy when somebody comes here for a powder ski recommendation or hucking tips and you give it to them. if thats not the case and your here to fuck with people, at least do something productive and shitpost the snowboard general or something
>>
>>732938
>that nose press wildcat
god damn, most stylish boarding i've ever seen.
>>
>>739532
did junior patrol in my last year of highschool last season. 10/10 experience, got to go to a ton of different mountains and met people i'll never forget.
>>
>>746042
>tfw patrol in the east
Want to go out for a year and do that. How were western injuries?
>>
>>745894
Ski with me.
>>745918
>by saying I skied park city, I mean all the places around it like Snowbird, Alta, and Deer valley and found nothing too challenging for me, but neither of us are shitty enough (hopefully) that pitch scares us, so that's just semantics too.
Obviously if you don't completely suck you won't be scared by pitch in Utah. The snow in Utah is too dry to stick to anything steeper than 50 degrees or so. If you go to Alaska I guarantee you'll find stuff you are scared of. But that's irrelevant. If you think you can ski every skiable line at Snowbird, you should be skiing for Teton Gravity Reserach and taking podiums in the FWT and SFS. If you really are that good that nothing at Snowbird scares you, please ski there with me. I want to see you ski some of the lines that get skied a few times a year at most.
>I've done a shitload of chutes on the bowls,
Let me guess: Your idea of a chute is a 20 foot wide couloir where turning is trivial.
>what I don't think you realize is that danger does not equate to skill
Danger is ski mountaineering in the alps where it's not hard to ski, but if you catch an edge and fall you're going to slide over rocks for a kilometer and die. Skill is stomping a big cliff where there is minimal danger due to a steep landing with a clean runout, or straightlining a chute with mandatory turns (that is, you can't turn except where you have to turn) and no room for error and making it out without falling. Sure, there's some danger involved too, but if someone who lacks skill tried to ski that kind of stuff, they would either very quickly develop skill or very quickly fuck themselves up to the point that they never ski that kind of stuff again.
>I'm more impressed with somebody making record time on an easy course than watching somebody ski a chute on a sponsored ski movie.
A lot of chutes are really trivial. Even some that have to be straightlined. But many are not.
>>
>>746089
cont.
>have you ever done nastar? they usually set up easy af joke courses, but at the end of the day gates are gates, so if you've skied one and gotten a medal feel free to tell me which one you earned
I haven't raced much but I tried Nastar a few times. I got platinum two of the four times I tried it. That was GS courses (not sure if Naster ever does anything besides GS) on slalom skis if it matters. I believe the other two times were a gold and a silver but I could be mistaken. This was some years ago and I was nowhere near as good a skier then as I am now.
>If I had to guess I'd say you're better than me at that, because its one of the only aspects of powder skiing where freestyle skills are more important than ski and edge control skills, and I suck at freestyle because if my coaches/parents caught me at a park they'd have slapped the shit out of me for risking injury.
Except I'm not a "freestyle" skier or a park skier. I don't do jumps. I haven't done a box since I was a little kid. I've never done a rail, aside from trying an oversized pipe type thing pnce (and falling). I've never done (or attempted) any spins besides 180s. Park just doesn't interest me. What does interest me, and what I am good at, is skiing off-piste. Chutes, cliffs, techy faces with a lot of exposure, etc. And going fast in that kind of stuff.
>I most likely have better carving form than you.
Better form is subjective.
>>
>>746094
cont.
>since you actually live where powder exists instead of praying for it on a week long trip planned months in advance, you're probably better at that shit than I am.
I don't. I don't live near any mountains, even your ice coast groomers/bumps/trees are an order of magnitude better than the ski areas here. I just travel to mountains whenever I can.
> If I can give advice to somebody like you and next season you slap on a pair of race skis on a shit day, pound some groomers, and walk off the hill a better skier
Even when the conditions suck I ski pow skis and ski chutes/cliffs/etc (though obviously not big cliffs on those days). More fun than carving groomers on race skis.

Yes, in part I'm shitposting for the sake of shitposting. But I also stand by everything I've said, other than maybe that I can outcarve you with me on pow skis and you on race skis. I initially said that I can carve pow skis like race skis, and I stand by that. Can I carve pow skis as good as an expert racer can carve race skis? Not quite, but close. Can I outcarve you if we're both on pow skis? Very probably. Do I ski faster than you on groomers (on my pow skis)? Almost certainly. Can I beat you on a gate course? Probably not even if I was on race skis, gates aren't my strength. I'm sure you're a better racer than me.

While I don't live in the mountains, I am going to be going to Utah this winter. If you go to Utah too, we should meet up. We can see who's actually better (just for fun) and have a fun time skiing together.
>>
>>746071
I actually never had any serious calls, only one I had was the son of the guy who ran the program hit his head and had a mild concussion, and we did the whole spinal deal as per protocol. As for patrol duties, depending on the mountain you'll be doing tons of hiking and boundary maintenance, but patrollers are great people and you'll have a blast. Would recommend.
>>
File: gengar.jpg (160KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
gengar.jpg
160KB, 960x720px
GUYS, WE HAVE TO SHUT UP ABOUT OUR FIGHTS WITH EACH OTHER AND UNITE AGAINST SNOWBOARDERS

They copied and pasted our thread template for theirs and called us cucks. >>737299
Let's spam their thread with pictures of skis and skiers and shitpost their thread to oblivion!
>>
I'm quitting my job in Dec and will pretty much have all of Jan/Feb to learn to ski. Is there a resort where I could improve the most on the west coast? Should I just go for the $799 season pass at Mammoth? Right now I can handle blue runs pretty well and some black ones cautiously.
>>
>>746177
Go to someplace with lots of cliffs and huck cliffs all day every day.
>>
>>727944

your form is complete trash and that song is shit. 1.5/10

stay in minnesota
>>
>>746177
You improve the most by skiing. Skiing as much as you can. And as the eastern racebro said earlier in the thread keep in mind the things you want to improve and focus on those things.

Also as you don't seem to have too much experience but can still handle yourself on skis I'd recommend getting few advanced lessons. If you've got the time to ski a lot I'd first get used to your skis and skiing after the summer on 1-2 days and after that get some lessons. It's much easier for someone else to see what you're doing wrong than it is for yourself to figure it out, especially if you don't have a lot of experience. Besides seeing what you're doing wrong a teacher will be able to tell you what you should be doing instead.

And never stop improving.
>>
>>746097
I think I got this figured out. correct me if I'm wrong but what it seems to be to me is that when you go at a mountain, you look at all the features it has to offer, and plan your line much more than I do. when I go out to the west, I tend to take my turns fast, trying to find any line with untouched powder on the fly, and a lot of carving through the bowls at fairly high speeds. this translates into my tree skiing, where I just pick lines as I go and try to maintain as quick a pace as I can. I think this different way of looking at the mountain is where this argument is stemming, with both of us being talented skiers in an area the the other doesn't quite fully understand.

about the speed and carving thing, I still hold out that I have better form than you, but that's because a better form is kind of necessary to really make racing skis respond and that's where 90% of my practice goes to. I also disagree with the fact that you can go faster than me on groomers, but that's because my dad is talented enough to sharpen skis professionally, so I'd go faster simply because I'd get more acceleration exploding out of the turns with my well kept edges and have less friction because I wax my skis often. like we've agreed, speed isn't really a good quantifier though and if we switched skis you'd probably be the one going faster.

with the nastar thing, that sounds up to par with my performance back when I was younger. I have fallen down to consistent gold when I try these days, but that's because of the difficulty curve they have set for my age group

>>746071
yeah, sounds about the same for me. I do less maintenance out east, but that's because there's not much of a mountain to maintain.
>>
>>746177
pretty much this >>746245. I should warn you that private lessons are ridiculously expensive in the west, and while a good instructor can do wonders, depending on the price it might not be worth it for you. personally, I'd look to see if you have any friends that would be willing to teach you, or even post a quick ski video so we could give you advice. it wont be as reliable, but it also won't add another triple digit expense. also, >>746185 pretty sure he's fucking around but don't do that. you're not going to become a better skier by simply trying the hardest terrain. that will probably just teach you bad habits
>>
>>746289
>you look at all the features it has to offer, and plan your line much more than I do
Sometimes. I like to seek out the chutes and cliffs and that kind of stuff. Sometimes it involves a lot of planning, sometimes it doesn't.
>>
>>746330
still, I think it's a matter of perspective. I look at a thin chute with rocks on each side and immediately Im thinking "fuck that, can't risk scratching my skis", where you're looking at it like a feature to hit. picking up some real twin tips with actual length this year. now that I think I know more of what to look for, I think I can finally start to really improve my back-country skiing and thrive instead of survive in the shit you're talking about. also, definitely would be down to ski with you, but I'm headed to Canada this year instead of Utah.

by the way, anybody on here been to Banff or Revelstoke? might be headed out there and dont know what to expect
>>
IT'S DUMPING IN THE ALPS!!
>>
i'm 5'7 and I bought a pair of 180s for this season. I'm pretty much an expert skier and can handle that length on off piste stuff, but will I have problems with them in the park? They're a rockered twin tip hybrid so they're meant for some park stuff but I'm worried that I'll have problems spinning on them, with them being so long and all.
>>
>>746365
pic related
>>
>>746365
not too educated in park skiing so feel free to totally ignore me, but that's not that too ridiculous of a length. might have a bit of trouble on the rotation, but the landing will probably be easier. 180 isn't out of the realm of utility for 5'7, so I dont see why you'd have a huge issue
>>
>>746385
yeah that's what I though, cheers m9
>>
>>746340
> I look at a thin chute with rocks on each side and immediately Im thinking "fuck that, can't risk scratching my skis",
In some of the chutes there's certainly a risk of scratching your skis, but in many of them it's not an issue. It just takes some experience, you'll figure out what to look for, what risks are and are not present in any given line. Of course skiing that kind of stuff on a regular basis does result in a fair amount of base damage, but nearly all of it can be fixed with petex, and in the fairly rare more severe situations, base weld makes it as good as new. You just have to stay on top of it and do base work on a regular basis if you ski that kind of stuff a lot.
>>
>>746503
again, I was on race skis so I wasn't gonna fuck with it, but this year I'm definately going to look for that shit and tear it up
>>
My season starts tomorrow, so fucking hyped!
http://www.stubai-premiere.com/
>>
>>746365
I'd say 180 is way to for someone your height.
For park skis, you should look for skis that are a bit smaller than you to spin easier.
>>
File: 20151015_071152.jpg (256KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
20151015_071152.jpg
256KB, 900x1600px
R8 my new setup
>>
>>746702
Im the previous guy who posted that 180 is fine. Just went out to look at my skis, and my measurements in my head were off. 171 would be pushing it for 5"7. 180 I'd definitely too big for what you're aiming to do
>>
>>746220
At least I'm a better skier than you. Thanks for your opinion though.
>>
How expensive is it for a beginner to start out ?
>>
>>747613
Widely different, and ithe depens on how often/hard you want to get into it. Where I am in the east, it's like 300 for a season pass and I'm pretty sure like 200 for season rentals, although I haven't rented in forever so I don't know rental prices
>>
>>747618
I'd probably do one day just to try it out
there's a mountain like 40 minutes from me so that's probably where I'd go
>>
>>747622
Do you have any friends who ski? Where do you live? Prices vary wildly and you're going to get a much better answer off their website than here
>>
>>747685
nah but I looked up and did some calculations and it's only about 32 bucks to rent boots, skis, poles, and get a lift ticket so I guess that's not bad
the rental doesn't include goggles or a helmet tho, and I'd probably need to get better winter wear
>>
>>747730
You don't really need goggles when you are just getting started. They're nice but not completely necessary. Still important on cold days though, they keep your face warm. You can get shitty goggles for like $20.
Helmet is a place you should not skimp though. Getting a good helmet is important. To to a ski shop and try some on. A helmet will run you around $80-$120. DO NOT BUY A USED HELMET. Most ski helmets are designed for a single impact, after which they are damaged internally, and that is not visible on the outside. So buying a used helmet means you are likely going to have a helmet that is already compromised.
If you are only going to spend money for good quality stuff on one piece of all your gear, make it the helmet. As for brands it's really whatever you like best, I like Giro best but that's just because I find them more comfortable than other brands. Different people have different heads so you may find a different brand more comfortable.
Second most important is boots.
Everything else, shitty stuff is okay for a beginner.
>>
>tfw got a job offer as a ski instructor
look out kiddos
>>
Soooooooooo....
Any Eastfags here?
Cause I had some questions about an early day at Killington.
>>
>>747891
Western NY reporting, never been to killington
>>
>>747908
MA here, usually drive north. Skied Whiteface last year, when ice was just an afterthought. They were closed when I went, so I couldn't ski them, but have you done the slides?
>>
>>747795
Where should I be looking out? Probably gonna need a few lessons this season
>>
>>747795
Where?
>>
>>747911
The slides? Yeah I try to avoid iceface but I have a feeling I'll be there more than once this year
>>
>>747948
>>747974
Winter Park
>>
>>747891
Southern New Brunswick, please deliver us snow this year El Nino
>>
>>747948
Where do you live? I will be in a few states this winter. I used to be an instructor, I could give you lessons.
>>
>>748448
Utah, but I'll probably be travelling to some other states too.
>>
>>748908
Send an email to [email protected]. I'll be in Utah this winter and I used to be a professional instructor. I would be happy to give you some free lessons. Unless it's a pow day of course. No friends on a pow day.
>>
>>748913
>this >>727944 skiing
>professional ski instructor
Shit nigga how did you manage to convince someone you can ski let alone pay for a lesson.
>>
>>748954
I'm a better skier than you, anon. You should go back to the snowboard general.
>>
>>748954
>all this shitting on that edit
It's kind of lame and the music blows, but nothing in that video indicated he sucks, he's just using the stance necessary for powder/weird feature skiing. Also, skiers much shittier than him are instructors right now. Level 1 instructing is basically babysitting and is easy as fuck to be certed for.
>>
>>746117
grow up already. You blame snowboarders for immaturity when you are all elitist fucks.
>>
>>749004
Well maybe if he wasn't so obnoxious and stopped acting like God's gift to skiing people wouldn't be so fast to point out that he isn't anything special.
>>
File: grin.jpg (17KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
grin.jpg
17KB, 413x395px
>>748954
>>749082
>>749022
>all this butthurt
>>
>>749197
fact: snowboarders are cooler and skiers are a plague
>>
How much of a difference does 5mm of width make? ie 84 compared to 89
>>
Noob here. Pros and cons of renting from Mammoth vs a shop in town? Would like to try a pair of demos.
>>
>>749948
Someone else may be able to give you more input to directly answer your question but keep in mind there's a lot more than width that will affect the skis. The sidecut, materials, etc.
In my opinion 5mm won't make a whole lot of difference on groomers but going wider may add a bit of stability for crud/bumps/pow, but I don't know, I haven't compared skis enough to say.
Hopefully someone else can give better advice.
>>749974
Renting from Mammoth: Convenience obviously, and if you are demoing (as opposed to renting) you can also swap skis throughout the day to try different pairs, they should be willing to do this for no extra charge
Renting in town: I assume it will be cheaper
If you want to try multiple pairs obviously demo at the mountain. If you only want one pair, I suggest checking what models each place has available and picking whatever one has your desired model available.
>>
>>749974
Also, in case I didn't make it obvious, there is a difference between renting (basic gear) and demoing (high performance gear, costs way more money). Swapping skis throughout the day may not be an option with rental but probably will be with demo.
>>
>>750015
At what point should I consider buying my own skis and boots? I plan to ski at least 15 days this season and looks like rental cost would add up.
>>
>>750036
How good of a skier are you? Buying is definitely worthwhile, the only issue imo with buying as a beginner is that you quickly outgrow the gear. Maybe even your first season with it you'll decide you want something different (i.e. buy carving skis then decide you want park skis). If you are sure of what kind of gear you want I would get it right away. How many times have you skied and how good are you?

You could at least get your own boots because your preference there is less likely to change, and rent skis until you know what you want. Also because having good boots that fit well is very important. The only issue there is that some ski areas are retarded and will not let you use rental skis with your own boots.
>>
>>750058
I'm a novice. I've skied like 15 days total in my life, most recently at Mammoth last year. I could handle the blue runs pretty well, and like a couple black runs verrrry cautiously. I took a lesson and basically paid $100 to have the guy tell me to practice keeping my skis parallel and how to do hockey stops. So I'm pretty early in my career. Eventually I'd like to get into backcountry and ski mountaineering.
>>
>>750062
Thinking of doing this: http://www.mammothmountain.com/winter/lessons-rentals/ski-snowboard-school/development-programs
>>
>>742498
hell yeah, that was the best day with my dad there, I was 15 last time I was there (19 now) I remember when we went down the cirque bowl over and over on a powder day during our vacation. Then we went to the restaurant there, and had a burger and that brownie dessert thing. Goddamn, I had the best dad, and Ill always support him no matter what. But yeah, Ill be in Utah for next ski season
>>
>>750167
>next
As in the 2015-2016 season? Email [email protected], let's ski together.
>>
We have to have a duel with /sbg/ to prove that we are superior. We have to challenge them. And any place where both a /sg/ anon and a /sbg/ anon live near each other, they have to meet up and see who is better.
>>
>>750167
>skiing with your dad
there is no greater feel. I remember I had the gall to race my dad down a lift line groomer once, we both literally didn't do a single turn, were going about mach 10 and catching serious air off the rollers by the time we reached the bottom. He won due to weight advantage but goddamn it was fun.

..fuck. I just realized I haven't hit the mountain with my pop in years.
>>
Good skiing feelings
>on holiday at the alps
>be the first in line with my bro when the lifts open
>both ex-race skiers
>finally get to ski that wide many kilometers long not too steep comfy piste with as wide turns and as fast as we want
casuals in the lift were m-miring, right?
>>
>>750963
Would be mirin/10

Being in the first lift is the shit. No drunken idiots anywhere and perfect untouched slopes everywhere you go.
>>
>>750963
>always choose lines that take me under the lift if I have to ski groomers to get to the lift
I see em mirin and I am not too proud a man to say that I do it to show off
>>
>tfw new skis
>>
>>752539
What'd you get
>>
File: SL Fis-20151026-161436.jpg (143KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
SL Fis-20151026-161436.jpg
143KB, 480x640px
>>752638
>>
>>750254
unfortunately not, one more year, so 16-17 season, its been awhile, but Im sure I can still do the double blacks.
>>
>>750254
will send you an email from my throwaway
>>
>>752519
nice to know that I'm not alone in this shit. I often wait for an opening where I get an empty run just so I can push GS skis fully and to show plebs on the lift how its done. My tiny ego gets bit of a boost too.
>>
>>752695
Gotta use your SL skis for that mang. Resort plebs are too casual to appreciate carve form so you gotta turn a lot to show control
>>
Whats proper ski attire? :-)
>>
>>753776
>tfw that gaper twat probably better equipment than me sitting in her closet until they rust over
I'd still fuck her, but I won't like it
>>
>>753776
>yoga pants
>while skiing
i shiggy diggy
>>
>>753776
Gore-Tex jacket/pants/gloves
Synthetic base insulation if cold enough to warrant
Helmet
Goggles
Synthetic ski socks (better than wool)
Ski boots obviously
Optionally small backpack (preferably a ski-specific one)
Optionally back protector (commonly worn by advanced-expert skiers, but you wouldn't know because they are worn underneath jackets and are not visible at all)
>>
>>753910
Back protectors are a waste unless you're racing downhill or super-G
>>
>>753954
Or riding anywhere with trees, or doing park shit.

Though when skiing in groomers hip/coccyx protectors are much more useful as long as your speeds don't get close to DH/SG speeds.

Going down on an icy groomer is a bitch even if you just lose your edge and slide on your hip for a while if you don't have any hip protection.
>>
>>753978
Never seen them used outside of racing. I fall like once a year on groomers though so I don't wear any protection, although I do have pole guards and shin guards for SL
>>
I'd recommend back protector for most skiing, but obviously when going off-piste in the woods, dropping etc, and racing on-piste. They're usually cheap and comfortable.

Anyone into ski touring here? I've been doing off-piste, mostly powder skiing last couple of years, and some on-piste skiing from time to time. Got me some Scarpa F1 Evo recently, still havent decided on skis. Bindings will be Dynafit Radical ST 2.

I'm down to these skis:
>Völkl Nunataq 15/16 186
good length for me (186 tall, about 85kg). Plus is full rocker, good waist (107), decent weight (1700gr), generally acclaimed ski. Minus is price (830eur) and the fact that they're everywhere.
>Fischer Hannibal 100 15/16 180
Plus is price (760eur), interesting ski that I haven't seen around here, weight (1500gr) uphill. Minus is length, a bit short for me maybe, weight downhill.
>Fischer Hannibal 100 14/15 190
Plus is price (650eur), else same as above, minus is lenght, potentially a bit too long for me.

Thoughts?
>>
>>753954
>what is off-piste
You are an idiot.
>>753987
That's because people wear them under their jackets, fucktard. A LOT of expert skiers wear them, and I'm not talking about racers. Shit-tier skiers like you that never leave the bunny hill probably don't need them, I don't disagree with you there. But people that actually know how to ski and enjoy skiing off-piste should certainly wear back protectors, especially people who ski aggressively off-piste.
Please stop telling other people that back protectors are not necessary outside of racing. Just because you aren't at the level where a back protector is a good idea does not mean that other people are not at that level.
>>
>>755175
You need to relax, son. Just saying that as an eastern skier I have never seen somebody wearing one who isn't zipping a GS suit over it (in the lodge, where people are wont to take off their jackets, fucktard). I will freely admit I don't know the MO of all that off-piste shit, but I figured since I've never seen one out west and none of my friends out west (who are used to western skiing habits) use them, they're not important enough to sperg out over when somebody questions their necessity
>>
>>755328
A lot of people wear them and they are a good idea for aggressive skiers, especially people who ski aggressively off-piste. Let's just leave it at that.
A good back protector to consider is the POC VPD 2.0. It comes as a stand-alone back protector or as a padded vest with back protector integrated. IMO only the stand-alone back protector is necessary.
>>
>>755906
Though a well fitting vest is much comfier than a standalone protector most of the time. If you ski in really warm environments when the vest could get a bit warm.
>>
>>755906
out of curiosity, has a back protector ever saved your ass? I'm never gonna say it's a bad idea to protect yourself but 90 bucks is pretty steep to prevent something that I've never seen happen. the one kid I know who wears one in his races has a hard plastic imbricative POC model that he got for like 40 bucks used, and that thing is comfortable and he can take gate hits and not even feel it. the ones I see online from POC now look pretty flimsy in comparison unless you're getting that mountain biking battle armor shit
>>
>>755999
I've never seen anyone be saved by one but I've seen what can happen if you're not wearing one. It's the same as with helmet. You're not going to be needing it 99% of the time but when you need it could very well be worth your life or save you from an injury that would prevent you from skiing ever again. $100 - $200 is a small price for that.
>>
guys how come my dad can slalom for hours effortlessly but when I change direction I have to use lots of leg strength? Dad told me it's about shifting your balance in a way you use the power of the previous slalom to effortlessly execute the following one but when I try I just can't do it
>>
>>756030
The key word there is effortlessly. Because he's just coasting along and not going even close to his limit. It's the same as on every sport. You could walk or jog for hours but start sprinting and you're done after a minute no matter how good you are. I could carve along for days but if I'm running gates or otherwise pushing hard my legs can be fucked after single run.

Obviously shifting weight properly and having your weight in the right place help a lot. You don't really have to do any work to make pretty carving turns on a slalom ski if you know how to do it. When it starts getting to your legs is when you do it at speed and the turns are tight enough or you're doing turns at a high frequency.

What do you mean with you have to use lots of strength to change direction? Do you mean during a carve while turning to one direction or between turns changing from turning one direction to other. If it's the latter then there's a problem with your technique most likely. The rebound from finishing a turn can be easily turned into almost automatically starting the next turn without any effort on your part.
>>
>>756041
>What do you mean with you have to use lots of strength to change direction?
Yeah, my problem is that I'm like a car that has to brake before changing direction, like, I can often see some snow being lifted when I move my skis sideways before changing direction
> The rebound from finishing a turn can be easily turned into almost automatically starting the next turn without any effort on your part
that's what I want, I guess it's just something you can feel by doing it
>>
File: yes.png (490KB, 702x474px) Image search: [Google]
yes.png
490KB, 702x474px
Two weeks boys
>>
>>755999
The "flimsy" looking ones are made of VPD which hardens on impact. They are not flimsy. I don't think I've been saved by it yet, but I did hurt my back before I had a back protector, it would have been nice to have had one on then. Also, this >>756020
Not to mention if you hit your back with a back protector on you might think "that was nothing, I would have been fine without it" when really the impact was much harder than you thought and the back protector saved you. Which may be why you don't hear about back protectors (and helmets) saving people more often than you do.
>>756030
Use weight and edging. Read the pastebin in the OP.
In addition to that, it becomes reflexive/instinctive. While I use weight and edging to turn, I don't consciously think about weight and edging any more than I think about how to move my legs when I want to walk. I decide to walk and I walk, that's it. Same with skiing. I want to turn? I turn. I don't think about HOW to do it. But of course at first it's important to think about what you're doing (again, read the pastebin in the OP, use weight and edging). But when you get it down really well it will become intuitive/automatic.
>>
>>756205
Makes sense. Thanks for the info, I'll look around for a used one to wear out west.
Fun fact: people get into more serious injuries while wearing a helmet than without. Probably has something to do with being overconfident. [Spoiler]this doesn't mean anybody should stop wearing one[/spoiler]
>>
>>756380
>Probably has something to do with being overconfident
Or, more likely, the fact that people are more likely to wear a helmet if they are planning to ski aggressively, ski fast, ski in difficult/dangerous terrain, etc. An average expert skier is generally going to wear a helmet on days he is charging hard, but would likely choose to not wear one if he is going out to cruise groomers with his wife and kids who are all bunny-hill-tier beginners. If he gets hurt skiing with a helmet, it's because he was skiing aggressively in dangerous terrain, not because he was overconfident from wearing a helmet (the cause of him getting hurt is the same as the cause of him wearing a helmet).

Of course, you SHOULD wear a helmet even when cruising groomers with casuals -- if some dumbass snowboard gaper smashes into you, you could fall and hit your head hard (I know of someone who this happened to -- she was standing on the bunny hill giving a lesson, snowboard faggot ran into her, she got a serious head injury despite her helmet, may have died without the helmet). But the point is, most people are too stupid to see it that way, so they're not going to necessarily wear a helmet if they're just out cruising casually.

That and beginners who never ski fast and never ski in dangerous terrain are less likely to own helmets, and they never put themselves in situations where they are at high risk of serious falls.

Not arguing with you btw, just expanding on your point and adding my thoughts.
>>
File: PA.jpg (17KB, 214x321px) Image search: [Google]
PA.jpg
17KB, 214x321px
It's out lads:

TGR.Paradise.Waits.2015.iTunes.1080p.AAC.2.0-PriMeHD
>>
File: 1408241988193.png (430KB, 352x515px) Image search: [Google]
1408241988193.png
430KB, 352x515px
>>756579
I agree with all of that. I have like 1 or 2 falls a year when I'm not skiing gates or out west on some crazy shit, but its stupid to not wear it anyway. probably the greatest fall I had in the last two years was on a groomer
>over-confidant from watching all the shitters out west for February break
>bombing a green circle directly under the lift, jumping on the gradual humps and catching a shit load of horizontal air because of my speed
>catch an edge
>ohno.gif
>full yard sale, tumble for probably the distance between two towers
>mfw somehow at the end of that tumbling I somehow tumble back on to my feet, leaving me standing again with a 50 foot trail of my own gear behind me and give a thumbs up to the group on the lift who thought they just watched me die.
anybody else got good fall stories?
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-10-23-14-57-15.png (655KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-10-23-14-57-15.png
655KB, 720x1280px
>>756647
I went to Lake Table back in 2007 and fell off my inner tube sled mid hill
I stood up and got my feet knocked out under me from someone coming downhill.

rip
>>
>>756652
Lake Tahoe*
>>
>>756647
I don't have any good ones on myself apart from the yard sales every now and then but I do have one that really fucked up my trust to lifts for a good while.
>on a small hill with only a single t-bar lift
>on the lift going up
>suddenly some kid a bit on front of me gets janked up in air by the lift
>he goes a good 20-25 feet up in air and slams the ground
>holyshitwtfjusthappened.png
>leaves the hill on an ambulance with neck braces and all that shit
Left promptly after that and haven't been back there ever since. I've still got no idea how that happened or what happened to the kid.
>>
>>756694
holy shit that's fucked. did he stay on too long or something?
>>
File: jjjlol.jpg (28KB, 801x534px) Image search: [Google]
jjjlol.jpg
28KB, 801x534px
>>756647
>mfw reading that

My story:
>be me
>skiing in Utah
>fresh snow
>go to one of my favorite places
>cliff area right under the chairlift
>right above the cliff band is really sketchy, to the point that people almost never go there and when they do it requires pretty much doing jump turns and billygoating
>I go there to jump off the cliffs
>just really small cliffs, going to send a ~10 footer
>but right in the middle of the cliff band is a bigger cliff, could easily drop 20+ feet if you hit it fast
>the takeoff is sketchy (really narrow nose like thing) which is what makes me not want to send it
>right above that nose thing (going to go for one of the smaller drops)
>the fresh snow is covering up the rocks in this sketchy billygoat area above the cliffs
>I hit some rocks that I don't see because they are barely covered in snow
>lose balance
>fall
>tomahawk directly off that nose I mentioned
>land in some rocks in the landing
>tomahawk off those rocks
>tomahawk directly into a tree, head-on, at high speed
>probably looks like I died (chairlift is right overhead, plenty of people on the lift)
>huge dent in my helmet, goggle lens cracked, lost a bunch of gear
>people on lift who probably thought I died (not literally) yell down asking if I'm alright
>probably think I am really injured
>I am completely fine
>say yeah I'm fine, ask if they can see my poles
>take two more runs before managing to find all my gear
>sore mouth for a month, have to replace helmet and goggle lens, otherwise unharmed
>previous day someone else had crashed in the same spot (he hucked the cliff at the wrong angle and landed on a rock), I had gone down and talked to him and showed a ski patroller where he was
>he lost a pole
>when I crashed the next day and was looking for my gear, I found his pole
>saw him in the lodge a month later and told him his pole was at lost and found and told him about my fall
>>
>>756694
>be me
>a few years ago
>liftie
>in training
>told story of some kid that didn't get on the chairlift right and the liftie was inattentive and didn't see so the kid fell off from like 50 feet up
>kid was fine
That was mostly the kid's fault for not getting all the way on the chair though, but also the liftie's for not paying attention. Not the chairlift's fault.
>>
File: 1403761787175.jpg (90KB, 679x657px) Image search: [Google]
1403761787175.jpg
90KB, 679x657px
>>756647
>end of season 2 years ago
>was 16 or 17, just started sending 360s in the park
>last run of the season
>hit one last 3 on my way back to the lodge
>underrotate badly, catch left edge on landing
>all my momentum turns into torque about my feet and i slam down on my side on the hardpack
>double eject, left binding explodes
>brake goes flying off, along with the entire heel piece
>my ski takes off down through the end of the park
>mfw
>it goes over a roller, into some glades and out of sight
>thinking how it might have nailed some kid
>make sure i'm not hurt, scramble to grab my gear and the binding debris
>spend 10 minutes trying to find my ski
>eventually find it in a tree well about 200 feet down the run
>ski back on one foot, holding my other ski and the remnants of its binding
>>
File: IMG_20140226_135112.jpg (1MB, 1632x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140226_135112.jpg
1MB, 1632x2448px
>>756914
pic related, if i remember correctly I ate it around where the snowboader is, if not further up
>>
>>756711
No, it was in the middle of the ride up. I don't know how it happened. Other than suddenly he was in air and then moments later slammed the ground and remained motionless.
>>
>>736030
I am from utah, i moved to sweden this year though, the skiing here is supposed to be shit, i hope its not
>>
>>740597
I have the same skiis, holy fuck they are glorius
>>
>>756946

Depends really.

I'll just assume you're here for university, in that case Umeå has some access but even that is at least a couple hours car ride to get to any even remotely nicer stuff.

If you're in Stockholm or Uppsala there should be a possibility to get to Åre (which is decent) either through some university trip (if that's relevant for you) or try fix one yourself with some buddies and booking stuff yourself.

If you're south from that you are shit out of luck though. Only thing that there is then are "cheap" (by the Alps standards) bus trips during winter break (usually sometime in Jan or early Feb) or trying not to die of boredom at your local 150-200m elevation local hill.
>>
>be alps
>have no snow
>15°C at 2000m alt
>it's fucking shorts weather on the ground

fuck this
>>
Yo guys, how do I git gud at skiing? Last year was my first year on skis; I can make it down the runs at my local hill pretty easily (east coast black diamonds, so that's not saying much), but I still occasionally fall when I try to turn too quickly and put pressure on the wrong edge. How do I improve my ski control? Practice in the moguls?
>>
Yo guys, how do I git gud at skiing? Last year was my first year on skis; I can make it down the runs at my local hill pretty easily (east coast black diamonds, so that's not saying much), but I still occasionally fall when I try to turn too quickly and put pressure on the wrong edge. How do I improve my ski control? Practice in the moguls?
>>
>>758062
>>758063

Sorry for the double post, my internet connection is a bit fucked
>>
>>758062
everybody here is gonna tell you to get lessons because they're the most surefire way to get positive feedback, and tend to be much cheaper in the east. where do you ski? everybody here is gonna be just guessing as to your specific problems unless you have video of yourself or something. how well can you carve? one suggestion that I like is not to ignore greens and blues now that you can ski blacks. they're great places to learn your form so you can then apply it to the steeper stuff
>>
>>758068

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to post some footage here when I can.
>>
>>758049
I feel you, but I've heard some say that this winter will be insane. Glacier season is running wild atm btw.
>>
>>758074
also, if you're in eastern shit, the best way to gain control of your skis is to get in front of them. any good all mountain ski will respond well to forward pressure (which should be focused more towards the outside ski). with a racing stance I have pretty much all of my weight on my outside front edge, basically pushing down on my outside big toe. as a less experienced skier you might want to have your weight a little more centered, but more forward lean=more edge control.
>>
anybody here live around copper mountain, CO? I'm gonna be there for thanksgiving break with some new twin tips and dont really know much about park skiing or the mountain itself.
>>
>>758063
When you want to turn, you should keep your upper body still. Keep a balanced, athletic position. A lot of beginners will twist their upper body and/or move their arms in the direction they want to turn. This is retarded and will make you fall. Still upper body. Use weight and edging to turn. I suggest reading the pastebin in the OP post. While you're a fair bit beyond the level of skier it was written for, it can still be helpful, as it covers the basics.
As you continue to ski, everything will become natural and instinctive.
>>
>>758105
I hope so, the summer was already bad enough.
>>
File: Laax Freeride '15.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Laax Freeride '15.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>tfw no snow
>>
>>758685
>tfw local resort opening on friday
I hope el nino delivers this year.
>>
File: Minnesota.jpg (563KB, 1635x1497px) Image search: [Google]
Minnesota.jpg
563KB, 1635x1497px
Any Minnesotans here?
>>
>>758685
>tfw it's snowing right now
>>
Fuck, everyone's talking about snow and BMBW hasn't even started their snow makers. Tfw Stuck in Ohio.
>>
>>759269
Not from Minnesota, but what's up with that north part of the map? Looks like you borrowed a bit of Canada for no reason
>>
>>759370
Nope, that's actually part of Minnesota.
>>
Are there any good skiing vids where the sound of the snow is not edited out?

s-sorta like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRKcAu2V3Yk
[spoiler]dont hate me[/spoiler]
>>
>>756647
>Skiing at Brighton, UT
>im expert but by no means master
>Anyone who's taken the crest express knows about the cliff about 3/4 of the way up, next to tantamount
>decide Its time to stop being a pussy and Huck the thing
>woe is me
>having seen the thing, I deduce the best way to ski it is to go in with speed on the 30 ft drop and land on the steep section
>start tree skiing, right under the lift, absolutely killing it
>I must look so awesome
>so enthralled in My awesomeness I forget where the cliff section is
>realize im about to hit the cliff section about 5 ft before I go over
>well, its too late now.jpg
>salmon leap that mofo like a boss
>oh fuck me sideways
>there's nothing quite like that face you make when you realized the fact that you overshot a 30 ft jump
>planned to land on the 50 degree angle right under the cliff
>land on the 25 degree slope 10 ft further
>oh damn, exploding knees.jpg
>lose half my gear, including both my skis and my right glove in full view of the lift
>feel my body up and down
>by some miracle of god, im okay
>people on the lift genuinely concerned ive kicked the barrel
>raise both poles in the air to tumultuous applause
>stick to blues the rest of the day, swear to myself ill never tell my parents, or my mom would murder me
>count my lucky stars every day that I can move my arms and legs
>>
>>756121
Oh damn, I miss snowbird
>>
>>759367

BMBW is pretty shitty nowadays (except for their park crew); IIRC they opened last year in fucking January. If you're from the Cleveland area, Snow Trails is only an hour or so south and Peek n Peak (which is vastly superior to anything in Ohio) is two hours east. Both should be open around Thanksgiving.

It's weird how many BMBW people I see on the internet. I might stop by when I'm in town over Xmas break, hopefully there'll be some decent snow by then.
>>
>>759370

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMkYlIA7mgw
>>
who /bluemountain/ here?
>>
File: 085.jpg (243KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
085.jpg
243KB, 2048x1536px
Any Scottish skiers here?
>>
Aw man just reading this thread made my knees hurt. I really miss skiing but I just can't handle it anymore
>>
>>767764
Not a snowboardag, but I believe that I've heard that people with bad knees switch to snowboarding. You might as well try it.
>>
>>767443

Blue Mountain here. Fuck is that place always a sheet ice?

I'm still praying that they open up that skidome over in Jersey that has been in the works for 5yrs+

It doesnt matter because I skiboard anyways and you all hate me, right?

I even got super long 130cm ones. Pls dont make fun, I just want to get down the mountain without tearing my ACLs
>>
>>769648
ive heard the same, kinda makes sense.
>>
File: 1367235109215.png (83KB, 790x773px) Image search: [Google]
1367235109215.png
83KB, 790x773px
>live in australia
>forced to ski down a hill of koalas on thongs
>tfw no snow
>>
>>767764
Training plan: get one. Core stability will make your knees hurt less. I've been skiing for 25 years and it's the only reason I can still rock the moguls with a partial mcl tear. Gym it up.
>>
>>753776
ALL
CAMO
EVERYTHING
>>
Are there any torrenting websites for specifically ski/action sports videos?
>>
File: mount_standish.jpg (721KB, 2000x1239px) Image search: [Google]
mount_standish.jpg
721KB, 2000x1239px
>>746340
Alberta here, been to Lake Louise and Sunshine Village.

Louise is definitely my favourite of the two. It's just bigger. There's some really fun stuff on the backside.

Sunshine is... weird. There's a gondola that takes you to the lifts, some of which are only halfway up the gondola. It's busier than Louise. And who puts a reservoir in the middle of a ski resort? I feel like it's the more luxury of the two.
>>
>>753910
>Goretex
>In winter
Breatheability is not a feature I desire while sitting still on a chairlift that's creating its own windchill. How many sweaters do you have on under that?
>>
>>756647
>learning to ski
>catch the inside edge of my top ski while sliding sideways, trip, ski comes off, fall over
>did not realize that ski had fallen off
>get back up
>push off with my poles
>predictable result
>My friend was watching the whole thing from above, laughing his ass off
>>
>>770168

He's talking about base insulation lad, layered clothing >>>>>>>>> one thick as fuck jacket except for conditions like Northern Scandinavia/Finland at the heart of winter when it can easily go past minus 20 degrees Celsius on the regular.
>>
>>770072
>not grass skiing
>not sand skiing
>not snowflex skiing
>not indoor skiing

Australians confirmed for absolutely zero imagination.
>>
File: hank hill mad.jpg (9KB, 205x286px) Image search: [Google]
hank hill mad.jpg
9KB, 205x286px
>>770165
Sunshine is also owned by a complete shithead who thinks that an appropriate response to his son getting caught in closed terrain is to make heads roll in the patrol department. And then legally intimidate online communities who have the audacity to talk about it.

http://www.skinet.com/skiing/articles/updated-sunshine-village-employees-sue-resort-after-staff-firings

http://www.epicski.com/t/104029/what-happened-to-the-12-patrollers-fired-at-sunshine-village-thread
>>
>>770256
why do mountains hate patrollers so fucking much? every hill Ive ever been to is trying to screw over patrollers in one way or another. Im a volunteer ski patroller at my hill and in two years the fuckers have doubled our locker prices, ramped up hours, and made it a huge pain in the ass to get my family passes for volunteering.
>>
File: J Skis Tropic Thunder Part Deux.jpg (47KB, 302x480px) Image search: [Google]
J Skis Tropic Thunder Part Deux.jpg
47KB, 302x480px
>>770109
And some of these.
>>
>>770625
>charging you for lockers

What a fucking crock. Then again I only worked with pro patrollers, so I don't know what the standards are for the vollys.
>>
File: 1447628710404.jpg (15KB, 304x408px) Image search: [Google]
1447628710404.jpg
15KB, 304x408px
/minnesota/ here

but i live in Colorado. no skis here yet. getting real jealous of everyone who already has skis here. I'll have them out here in a couple months.

who else shreds SW Colo?

>pic related, it's me when I get my skis
>>
>>770625
>>772260
that sucks man, you should get charge minimally for lockers at the most even if your a volunteer, the family passes I can understand a bit more.
>>
File: sunshine village.png (733KB, 2520x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sunshine village.png
733KB, 2520x1080px
>>770256
I would buy this guy a beer.
>>
>>769658
>ACL tears
Either can't into setting up bindings properly or a racefag

>>770094
This desu senpai. And even if you don't have bad knees hitting the gym will make skiing, and any other sports you do, so much more enjoyable anyway.

>>770165
>reservoirs at ski resorts
It's there so they'll have access to practically free water for their snow guns. And perhaps to attract some summer visitors.

>>770225
Wearing layers applies even more for really cold weather. As someone who skis almost exclusively in Northern Finland layers is all I wear during the winter. They make it so much easier to adjust for your activity level and the temperature when compared to having one thick as fuck jacket. The only exception is if you're doing nothing and just standing/sitting outside. That's when the thick as fuck jacket is good.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-17-12-41-46.jpg (2MB, 1440x2277px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-17-12-41-46.jpg
2MB, 1440x2277px
finally looking good for the weekend
>>
>>774078
it seems like every patroller over 50 has that "listen up, asshole" personality, which I normally hate, but they tend to be right about everything anyway so I have to respect it

>>772462
yeah I guess, but they only have volunteers so I'm pretty sick of the shit they try to pull. last year they put a lift two feet from our ski patrol lodge, and then put the electric housing for it two feet on the other side. I am not too far from just telling them to go fuck themselves and move to the next mountain over
>>
does anybody know any surface drills I can do to improve my freestyle skiing? would stuff like surface jumps and skiing backwards help? gonna try to get into it this winter and it might be good to have something to do traversing flats
>>
>>770168
Gore-Tex non-insulated shell jacket as outer layer, sweatshirt as middle layer, t-shirt base layer. I'll add a synthetic long-sleeved insulation layer between t-shirt and sweatshirt if it's really cold (like -20 F).
On my legs, I wear insulated Gore-Tex ski pants with zipper vents (to open on hot days) and athletic shorts underneath. On really cold days (-20 F), synthetic long pants as insulation between Gore-Tex pants and shorts.
And breathability certainly will be a feature you desire if you try skiing in non-breathable stuff all day. Gore-Tex keeps wind out despite being breathable.
>>
>>770225
>except for conditions like Northern Scandinavia/Finland at the heart of winter when it can easily go past minus 20 degrees Celsius on the regular.
Even on the coldest days (below -20F) (-29C) I wear layers.
>>
>>774229
>>775131

Yeah, sorry, worded badly there.

What I was trying to say was that for me, a lightweight hardshell jacket+layers is more than enough at least until -20C or so, after that I could consider using a padded jacket but never when it's warmer than that.
>>
File: 1337360435993.jpg (71KB, 600x656px) Image search: [Google]
1337360435993.jpg
71KB, 600x656px
Baker opens this thursday ;-) see you fagets up there

>mfw lodging up there the whole winter
>>
>be skiing at Okemo last year with brother and his friend, cause we rent a house and get peak passes and go snowmobiling on star lake and other trails, shit its cash
>skiing a head
>stop at junction
>wait
>wait
>????
>they finally get down
>Little brother covered in snow
story time fuckers
>Little bro was coming over gentle groomed crest
>easiest part of whole run
>green circle
>directly under chairlift
>managed to put pole
>DIRECTLY
>IN FRONT
>OF HIS SKI.
>manages to stick it perfectly so it doesnt slide to either side
>ski stops
>he doesnt
>performs 450 deg front flip
>lands face down
>complete yard sale
>ski patrol thinks hes dead
>friend thinks hes dead
>is perfectly fine cause of course he is
hes a fuckin moron, but i love him.

pic is me a few years ago (they were shitty headphones already starting to die)
>lime green
I know. It was 2010 and i was 12 when i got the jacket.
>>
>>776429
lel at the story
>being that concerned about what kids on the internet think about you ski jacket and your headphones
nigga who cares
>>
>>776721
>>776429

God, look at these faggots. Learn some style. Green jacket? Headphones? Not caring about what people you'll never meet think? Just fucking kill yourselves. For reals.
>>
>>776982
>>>/newschoolers/
>>
File: Andermatt.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Andermatt.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>776982
>>776721
i only wear it for te swastika
>>
>>777852
Mad jelly
>>
>>778993
>bumping without content
at least link a video or something.
linking one of my favorites. not the most technical but these guys are creative as hell and actually seem like they'd be fun as hell to grab a beer with
https://vimeo.com/64048507
>>
>>777883
cannot unsee
>>
File: Engelberg.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Engelberg.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>
File: Engelberg2.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Engelberg2.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>792853
Whats the key to doing stuff like this? just keep going, dont worry about trying to control speed?
>>
How is Mammoth right now? I'm headed up tomorrow.
>>
Does it matter what kind of ski goggles I get? I see models ranging from $20 to $200.
>>
At what point should you go from rental to buying your own gear?
>>
File: Engelberg3.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Engelberg3.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>794032
>dont worry about trying to control speed?
You should always be in control.
Practice at the fun park, use your knees to feather the fall even if you're landing on powder
>>
>>794075
Kinda, it depends on variety of factors
what you are going to be doing?
what kind of weather do they have right now?
want to get some that will last or just for now?
most important though make sure they fit right, so you wont lose them if they are too loose, if all else fails just ask someone who works there. Oh if you can avoid it , dont ever buy from the ski shop at the mountain, they are overpriced.
Im sure im forgetting something so hopefully another bro will add, hope that helps man.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz4F2X1xSc8

I'm so hyped for ski season. Too bad it doesn't really kick off until after christmas for me
>>
>>794075
Yes, goggles are important. Some things to consider:
>Good goggles have spherical dual lenses which are much better at dissipating fog (and nothing ruins a ski day more than foggy goggles that won't stop fogging)
>Good goggles offer UV protection, good for your eyes by preventing harmful sun radiation
>Some goggles have interchangable lenses allowing you to adjust to varying lighting conditions
>Make sure your goggles fit well with your helmet; go to a ski shop with your helmet and try on some goggles with your helmet, see which ones fit well with it, and which ones are comfortable on your face
>Lens color is VERY IMPORTANT. That will be my next post because of character limit.
>>
>>794075
Lens:
You want a dark lens for bright days or it will be way too bright. Black/gray or any dark color, whatever you prefer. Just so it's significantly tinted.
You want a very specific lens for flat light conditions; specifically, get either Smith Sensor Mirror or Oakley HI (High Intensity) Yellow for flat light. Those two are BY FAR the best. If you have a sub-par lens for flat light, everything will look the same, you won't be able to see the contour of the hill. Having a good flat light lens makes skiing in flat light way more enjoyable. It's not just about the amount of light transmission, so don't think some other lens is good enough just because it allows a lot of light through (aka is not dark).
You can use your flat light lens for any low-light conditions, regardless of whether or not it is flat light.
For night skiing, you just want something that's not dark. Clear is ideal, but the same kind of lenses you would use for flat light and low light will work fine as well. It's not worth getting a night-specific lens for most people.
Basically, to sum up lenses, you want two lenses (which can be one pair of goggles with interchangable lenses, or two separate pairs of goggles):
>One with a dark lens (low light transmission, i.e. 15%) for bright days. Doesn't matter if it's black/gray or colored, whatever you prefer.
>One for flat light and low light, specifically Smith Sensor Mirror or Oakley HI Yellow
If you INSIST on only having one pair of goggles with only one lens, you can get by with an all-around tint such as Smith Ignitor Mirror. It will be fairly hard to see contour of the hill in flat light buy you can get by. If you have sensitive eyes, they will get a bit sore on the brightest of days. If you are a casual and only go a few times a year this would be okay, but if you are a serious skier you should absolutely have two lenses.

>>794122
When you know what kind of gear you want/like, unless you're underageb& and will outgrow your stuff quickly
>>
>>794075
Also, one more thing... having two lenses is mostly important if you ski off-piste. If you only ever ski on groomed runs, then having one all-around lens with a moderate amount of light transmission will be fine. Not ideal, but fine.
>>
File: 1418974887575.gif (861KB, 390x220px) Image search: [Google]
1418974887575.gif
861KB, 390x220px
Hey /sg/, how elitist are you about skiing?

I am may be cutting myself short here but I am roughly below average.

I feel like I am unsure of what I need to do to work past barely managing blues. I know I need to work on minimizing space between my skis and not sitting on my heels.

Any advice? I have read the pastebins but I only found a little of that to be helpful.
>>
>>795758
I'm well above average.

I also hate casuals who don't get any lessons or even try to improve their skiing. Getting to a level where you can comfortably ski anything that's groomed isn't hard.
>>
>>795758
One thing that improved my skiing alot is when I had someone film me, after watching you work on whats bad.
>>
Anyone in Hokkaido? Nagano pref here and its pretty waitingforsnow.jpg
>>
>>794122
Me im with any purchases when it makes more sens basically bang for your buck.
Are you going to get use out of it? how much are you going to use it? and not just let it sit somewhere
like the other bro said now that you have rented, you can see what gear you need what type you like that can last you a while.
>>
>>796049
Not everyone can afford $150 for 2 hour lessons. I doubt people are going out of their way to suck
>>
>>795758
Where do you live? Maybe someone here can give you lessons irl.
Otherwise post video ITT. And keep skiing, it will become natural.
Also, ski aggressively. Weight forward. It will feel uncomfortable at first but it gives you much better control. Aggressiveness and confidence will go a long ways. I would say more but I'd just be repeating the stuff in the pastebin.
>how elitist are you about skiing?
I'm not "elitist" as long as the faggots that suck at skiing don't ruin the good terrain by climbing down chutes and knocking the snow off, getting in the way on terrain where they are way over their head, etc. When people do that stuff it annoys me.
>>796049
>implying lessons are necessary to become a good skier
They can be helpful but are not necessary.
>>796371
I'll give free lessons to anyone in /sg/.
>>
Who here has skied so far? I skied for the first time on Tuesday. Snow was pretty firm but not slick. They had 3 runs open. Good to be back on snow.
>>
File: krautlumbia.png (20KB, 1024x211px) Image search: [Google]
krautlumbia.png
20KB, 1024x211px
>>777883
>>
hi I'm here for advice. is the k2 annex 98 (waist) a good ski? seems good all mountain and capable of some powder.

any reason not to get it?
>>
>>797247
Seems fine but it depends what kind of terrain you ride. I have shreditor 102s and would highly reccomend them as an all mountain focusing on off piste but with versatility on groomers. Might be a tad more expensive but its bang for buck over a stiffer ski imo.
>>
>>734245
Squaw valley, in Tahoe is already at nearly 5 get for the season total so far. It's looking good!
>>
>>797247
If you like skiing aggressively and do not like skiing backwards and will ski mostly groomers and bumps with minimal powder and cliffs, yes.
If you ski backwards and/or want a more playful less aggressive ski, Shredditor.
If you ski much powder and/or cliffs, something wider.
If I was in your place I'd go significantly wider, but it's preference. I ride my 117s even when it's firm slick hardpack.
>>
>Ski General #4
4 threads. Does every thread last more than 1 season each?
>>
What do you guys use for recording?
Sitting on a GoPro Hero2 thinking of upgrading, heard good stuff about Sony...
>>
If I start skiing will I get a cute snowbunny gf?
>>
>>798948
Ski aprés maybe
>>
why do people telemark ski?
>>
>>798952
i don't know what this is
>>
>>795729
So do these seem pretty solid? Red sensor mirror lens. Got them on sale for $105, normally $175. Also I'm asian so the fit should work.
>>
at what point is someone ready for backcountry skiing in the sierra nevada? obviously i'd be going with a partner or two with avalanche training.
>>
Any recommendations for cheap ski/snowboard pants? Want to take the gf, she can wear a bunch of my stuff for upper garments but no way any of my pants could fit her (super short).
>>
>>799084
Go to any sporting goods store, they should have pairs for under $40
>>
>>799071
You need the avalanche training yourself as well.
>>
>>794137
That looked fun
>>
>>799071
Take Avalanche 1 training and get avalanche gear
>>799057
Yeah, the I/O are arguably the best goggles on the market. It looks like the one you got comes with both a sensor mirror lens and a blackout lens, which is a perfect combination. Sensor mirror for stormy days, overcast, night, etc. Blackout for bright days. You made a pretty much perfect decision, I'd be hard pressed to recommend you anything better.
>>798948
If you're good enough
>>798952
Fuck apres
>>799050
"Apres skiing" refers to sitting in the ski lodge, getting drunk, eating food and getting fat, and all around being a degenerate faggot, all while pretending to be a skier. "Apres skiers" go on "ski trips", take 2 or 3 runs then go sit in the lodge for 5 hours.
>>798945
I have a Contour Roam 2 that I love. A few years back, Contour (and probably other brands) kinda sucked, but with the technology improvements in the last few years, pretty much any brand is going to be very good, and pretty much the same in video quality. Choose based on aesthetics, mount options available, extra features (waterproof, GPS, etc...), and other such details. Video quality is great on all of them.
>>798694
/asp/ hasn't even existed long enough for that to have happened. This thread has existed less than 3 months, it's fall (meaning minimal ski discussion) and it's already over 60% to bump limit.
>>799084
Go to a store and have her try some on. Preferably get something with Gore-Tex and thigh zipper vents. If you get something with zipper vents and insulation and Gore-Tex, layering on your legs isn't that important. I wear mine over just shorts and with the vents closed I am comfortable well below 0F, with the zips open all the way I am comfortable up into the 50s F. Worth the investment. I like Descente and Marker pants but it's whatever style and fit she likes best.
>>
>>799112
>>798694
Actually, it's over bump limit. I thought /asp/ was one of the 500 boards. Time for a new thread...
>>
NEW THREAD >>799117
NEW THREAD >>799117
NEW THREAD >>799117
NEW THREAD >>799117
NEW THREAD >>799117
>>
MOD THEY MADE A NEW GENERAL BEFORE THEIR OLD ONE HIT PAGE 8

THAT'S AGAINST YOUR RULE MOD
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.