[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was he a draw?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0511.jpg (133KB, 642x722px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0511.jpg
133KB, 642x722px
Was he a draw?
>>
>>2780276
In Europe and Canada? Yes.

Stateside? No, and unfortunately that's all that mattered at the time.
>>
No one liked this fucker except leafs.
>>
>>2780280
>that's all that mattered at the time.

Bret's drawing power in foreign markets is one of the few reasons WWF didn't go belly-up in the mid-90s you dumb shit
>>
>>2780276
one of the only pieces of merch I ever had was his sunglasses
>>
>>2780280
>>2780444
Provide numbers or evidence...
>>
He was more of a draw than anyone else and that is why Vince repeatedly went back to him as champion.
>>
>>2780444
And they wouldn't be in that position if he caught in more in the states.
>>
More of a draw than HBGay.
>>
>>2780568

They wouldn't have been in that position if they didn't have an overall shit product.

Bret was their saving grace. Shawnetty was the biggest anti-draw at the time. Worse than Nash.
>>
>muh shitman
>muh HBgay

You fucking children disgust me. You have no idea what you're arguing about or for. WWF was waylaid by Hulk leaving, a cultural change and most overlooked, dual sex and steroid scandals.
>>
>>2780609
Also the mid 90s recession in the wrestling industry.
>>
>>2780609

There was also a crucial demographic shift, too. It's one of Vince's biggest fuck-ups, but nobody ever talks about it. Let me explain.

In the mid-late 1980s, Vince created a massive drawing business that was family friendly. It was fairly clean cut and had deliberate role models aimed at children: Hulkamania, Ricky Steamboat, etc.

By 1992 he had to choose a new route as Hogan was no longer the guaranteed draw, and Warrior was losing his way as a reliable main eventer.

He SHOULD have gone more mature in 1992. The kids' market he had captured in the late 80s were now teenagers.

Instead, he swamped the WWF with silly gimmick characters: day jobs, magicmen, etc. Undertaker was kind of the thin end of the wedge for this, but he was there early and got over.

By the time IRS came in it was "this is getting a little stupid", but Rotundo was a hell of a hand and Money Inc was a genius pairing.

But then you had: Tatanka, Nailz, Repo Man, Skinner, Papa Shango, Doink (ended up good, but was embarrassing for a young teen to be seen openly watching WWF when Doink was on the front cover), Bezerker, etc etc.

But like you pointed out, there were scandals around the business. While Vince if he was rational should have developed a mature product to retain his new teen fanbase, he was trying to avoid jail so wanted an even more playful and child-orientated product. Damn shame. If Attitude could have started in 1993, then it'd have had Shawn, Bret, Razor and Diesel all in there from the start. How different things could have been if the Hart Foundation and the Kliq could've had open warfare right from the start.
>>
>>2780568
SEE: >>2780609 >>2780620 >>2780625
>>
File: EoE.png (862KB, 390x512px) Image search: [Google]
EoE.png
862KB, 390x512px
>>2780276
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.