[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meltzer fears death of NJPW by WWE!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6

File: 1zr1gl5.jpg (19KB, 489x352px) Image search: [Google]
1zr1gl5.jpg
19KB, 489x352px
This is from the Jan 19 2017 Wrestling Observer Radio at the 2 minute mark.

>"I can really see that New Japan is going to end up being like Crockett Promotions in trying to fight [WWE] and lose. Everybody else is going to be gobbled up by trying to be friends [with WWE] and lose. That's the direction for however long this is going to be, probably the next 3-4 years."

Share thoughts, agreement, disagreement, triumphant Vince faces. Rarely is Dave Meltzer so blunt and matter-of-fact about what he thinks the industry's outlook is.
>>
>>2171126
Good. Payback for Pearl Harbor, bitches.
>>
File: image (10).jpg (26KB, 500x509px) Image search: [Google]
image (10).jpg
26KB, 500x509px
monopoly incoming
>>
somebody post the show
>>
>>2171126
NJPW should bend the knee like ICW. WWE pays them a montly or yearly sum, and they don't try to compete with Vince.
>>
Serious Question: does /asp/ want the death of NJPW?
>>
>>2171143
no

because WWE would get even shittier
>>
>>2171143
Yes.

This place is filled with Stamford wives who love to suck Vince McMahon's cock.
>>
>>2171143
A monopoly greater than the one they already have would make their product even more shit
>>
>>2171126
Based Vince putting the fear of God into the gook lovers
>>
If New Japan could survive after being left for dead by Inoki it can survive expanding internationally
>>
No because as long as WWE is the mediocre corporate chump that it is there will be people looking for quality and just plain hipsters who buck against the vanilla mainstream. NJPW is held to a higher standard compared to every other promotion on Earth, Japs and smarks will keep it alive in some fashion.

Now, that's not to say whoever runs or owns njpw won't just sell it to WWE or whatever, I don't know anything about the corporate structure to speak on that. But I think if they survive Vince's lifetime (5 years) then they are good and WWE will, inevitably, get bought by Disney or someone.
>>
>>2171195
>SLUUUURRRRP OH YES VINNY PLS FEED ME MORE YUMMY FEDORAMEN CUM SLUUUUURRRRRRRP
>>
>>2171132
Hahahaha

>>2171126
Serves Metz right for being such a japfag and WWEfag.
>>
File: 129030932.jpg (160KB, 960x1024px) Image search: [Google]
129030932.jpg
160KB, 960x1024px
>>2171126
>Rarely is Dave Meltzer so blunt and matter-of-fact about what he thinks the industry's outlook is
It's because he loves NJPW (as a real wrestling fan should) and is frightened by NJPW's recent moves to try and gain greater access in the US market i.e. creating an NJPW subsidiary and getting it on a large cable network.

If there's a company that can challenge the WWE's dominance, NJPW is about the only one in the world with the ability to do it.

It's a VERY dicey move for NJPW, though. le Meltz is right to feel concerned.

Here's my question: why is NJPW only NOW trying gain ground on American turf?
>>
>>2171220
Probably because Bushiroad has alot of more money to spend now because of all the money they made off Love Live and trading cards
>>
>>2171143
Yes, not for the company itself, just because I want to see the reaction of smarks, weeaboos and wewtists
>>
>>2171220
because WWE is dying and njpw has been in ascendance
>>
File: 1436903099322.jpg (84KB, 646x712px) Image search: [Google]
1436903099322.jpg
84KB, 646x712px
>>2171227
>>
File: 1415598776326.png (158KB, 783x797px) Image search: [Google]
1415598776326.png
158KB, 783x797px
>implying WWE will resonate with chinese wrestling fans
>implying the yakuza will let any of their worthwhile talent go near an invasive WWE Japan Tournament/show
>implying there wont be a massive pushback with slanty eyes yelling at Triple H to go home
>>
>>2171236
WWE has already failed to get their foot in Nipland. See their network subscription number there.
>>
>>2171143
If it means less autistic spergs talking about how the latest Nipizaki vs Slantioka match in front of 500 people at the Rice Bowl is the MotYAYF as if anybody gives a shit, I'm all for it.
>>
So all the NJPW guys jump to WWE because of money, realize working for Vince is shit and jump back to NJPW taking their new american friends who have been tired of never getting a decent push. Sound like an okay plan on NJPW's part.
>>
>>2171233
New Japan is doing significantly worse than they were about 10 years ago. They used to be able to fill the Tokyo Dome and now they can't even get half the attendance for that. They will get stomped if they challenge wwe.
>>
BASED
>>
>>2171274
Money talks and that will probably be enough for most people.
>>
>>2171143
I dont hate njpw.
But realistically, no one is going to defeat the beast called wwe unless you have an insane cash flow coming your way and you have a deal with a good tv channel everyone watches, and the most genius booker in the world
>>
>>2171283
WWE might sell better but there also on a decline with TV ratings which scares them, plus morale in the locker is described as being low at times. NJPW might not be selling as well like in the 90's but at least it feels like there in a wrestling boom right now. Also wasn't 2007 a low point for NJPW? I cant see them being worse now
>>
>>2171283
Same could be said about WWE. 15 years ago every RAW and SD was a 20k sellout. Today they're lucky to get that for a PPV. Pretty much they only guarnteed draws for them are a few Attitude Era guys, the Rumble, and Mania.

If they were strictly a wrestling company they'd be fucked.
>>
>>2171312
The only problem for NJPW in recent years, as for any other company not named WWE, is their hot talent get poached by WWE.
>>
>>2171321
Even still WWE is in a far better position. Wrestling as a whole is just no where near as big as it used to be.
>>
>>2171327
I'm pretty sure they have money issues as well and interest in their own country is not as good as it could be. It would be foolish for them to try and compete with WWE on their home turf.
>>
>>2171283
WWE are way too big for themselves and will suffer a significant blow in about 10 years unless their network by then can compete with the money they get from tv. If not, they'll at least significantly downsize.

The tv market is drying up, the next big boom isn't coming, their ratings slowly drop year after year and they already can't get the tv deals they posture for. They rely way too much on a dying medium.

I'm not saying NJPW can compete in the west because they obviously can't, but if they focused more on their home base to the point they can start selling out the dome again, it may pay off sooner than they think. No one is going to give a shit about Wrestlemania in 5 years when bork, undy, trips and literally any other washed up star isn't there.
>>
>>2171327
Their top AMERICAN talent is poached, which is fine, nobody marketable and with a family is going to stay in Japan forever when they can job comfortably for big bucks in America and watch their kids grow up and see their friends and family.

Now, for a homosexual with no chance for friends and family like Kenny Omega, why not just stay in Japan?
>>
>>2171343
I'd like to hope they will have a new big star in the next few years but I'm not confident that will be the case as long as Vince continues to push Roman with no thought for anyone else.
>>
>>2171350
Kenny might stay in Japan Ibushi was keeping him in Japan.
>>
>>2171350
I'm pretty sure a part of Kenny want s go to WWE but only if he's given a good deal and accomplishes everything he can in NJPW.
>>
>>2171342
Honestly I don't think they are even trying to do that. Atleast from what Omega said, it seems like they are just trying to create a second viable option for indy wrestlers. Right now, if you're an indy wrestler, you see the progress of your career like this: few years in bingo halls, then couple of years in NJPW for prestige points, and then straight to WWE. They want to stop this and make wrestlers from all around the world see NJPW as their primary option.
>>
>>2171353
I think he should.
>>
>>2171354
I'm sure that's true of literally every competitive wrestler in the entire world. Getting a ''good deal'' from WWE is essentially impossible though.
>>
>>2171355
I can't see most people wanting to stay in Japan full time. Not everybody is a weeb like Kenny.
>>
>>2171283
>Doing significantly worse then they were about 10 years ago

2007 was one of the worst years New Japan's history, they had no champion for half of it and the lowest attendance for the Tokyo dome they've ever had, I'd say they are doing much better.
>>
>>2171362
AJ got a pretty good deal as far as I am aware.
>>
>>2171368
He was going to sign with TNA again with a shitty deal of course he got a good deal from Haitch.
>>
>>2171368
I would bet there wasn't any guarantee to not being jobbed out, and AJ is a known quantity, somebody who has worked for WWE and held it down in TNA and is conceivably known to American audiences. Don't think Kenny has that kind of leverage
>>
>>2171367
You're right. It was 5-7 years ago they they were doing really well. There has been somewhat of a decline since then.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (176KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
176KB, 1920x1080px
If New Japan didnt stiff them on Bullet Club merch cuts, would they have signed with WWE?
>>
>>2171382
They are probably in the age when they are just glad that they can see their family more often but honestly, what WWE does with them should be a warning for every outlaw who made a name for himself.
>>
>>2171363
might this be why they're making comments about creating an American subsidiary?
>>
>>2171378
Bear in mind as it pertains to Tokyo dome attendance, there seemed to be huge drop in attendance between 2011 and 2012, 43,000 to 29,000 but according to the owners this is because the figures from 2012 onwards are the legitimate amount of tickets sold rather than tickets papered.
>>
>>2171387
i doubt they are big enough marks for themselves to give one stinking shit. it's not like the Usos and One Man Rhyno Band or whatever were holding the titles for a year plus on their watch. They happened to run into the New Day, not much you can against that.

And their promos and segments are super professional, high quality, intelligent, funny and entertaining. They don't botch and they do the job with professionalism and character. Great guys
>>
>>2171283
>New Japan is doing significantly worse than they were about 10 years ago

Now you're just retarded. NJPW was dying in 2007 with Brock no-showing the title and TNA carnying the tag titles. They have been the best they ever have been since the 90s. NOAH dominated the of 2000s Japan, only now are they reaching big after Bushiroad
>>
>>2171610
Noah drew terrible out of toyko and lower tv ratings.

Wk 11 only did a 1.0 tv rating compared to the 8.0 in mid 00's. Inoki's booking only fucked with debt and toyko market. He should had feeded the mma guys to his wrestlers in worked fights.

Njpw 90's and 80's the best though.
>>
I though 90% of NJPW audience was the Japanese. Wouldnt they remain loyal viewers over the WWE? Or are they worried WWE is going to buy up all the talent?
>>
>>2171632

It's not the audience, its the money. We don't know if Bushiroad can sustain a territorial promotion set against WWE and NJPW. Unless Love Live and Vanguard somehow becomes bigger than MtG or YGO in the international market
>>
>>2171401
The "self mark" line is important, most wrestlers recognize that they have a small window to earn good money and will take the offer. The prestige of the booking just doesn't matter as much if you want to have a comfortable life after wrestling.
>>
I've said pretty much that before.

What WWE are trying to now is just like what Vince did with the territories back in the day.

Like now they're in the UK, and they are promising they won't fuck with the indies, or steal talent, or crush small feds. But they'll do ALL OF THAT the very moment they think the UK is a market where they can make money.

And WWE have freely admitted that after they finish with the UK, they want a Jap tournament next. So you can see where that's headed too, based on the same logic.
>>
>>2171143
No, because every day New Japan exists is another day of anti-smark buttblast.

I barely even watch it, but find the mere thought that autistic hotpocket-covered manchildren on a Viet Cong propaganda website are so enraged by New Japan's existence enough to issue a fatwa against any wrestling company not owned by Vincent McMahon, fucking hilarious to be honest.
>>
>>2171719
Isnt the UK market much different from the Japanese market?

The UK market seems filled to the brim with starved WWE marks who drool over the two weeks wwe comes to europe every year.

I have never heard of a strong WWE presence in Japan. And I don't think they will ever be able to foster one. Nakamura is in the company now and aside from satiating NXT smarks I am betting $500 he wont do DICK noteworthy on the main roster. The language barrier and the amount of people who dont give a shit about japan wrestling will just lookat that old dude and say. "what the fuck, why is this illiterate chinaman taking time away from hilarious titus o neal promos"

He'll be IC champ for a minute maybe if he ever gets past nxt
>>
>>2171126
>Meltzer fears death of NJPW by WWE
So do I
>>
neat sensationalism OP

>>2171195
>>2171230
>>2171273
>being this sycophantic to a company that has openly told you it doesn't care what you want

>>2172676
>"what the fuck, why is this illiterate chinaman taking time away from hilarious titus o neal promos"

Nobody, anywhere, ever, will say this.
>>
>>2172683
Is your reason the same though?
>>
>>2171126
Sucks too because NJPW is one of the last promotions that has good matches and is easy to access
>>
>>2172786
>easy to access

If only there was some online method to WATCHWRESTLING
>>
>>2172776
>Nobody, anywhere, ever, will say this.

I don't know dude, I already heard Brian Alvarez praising Titus and demanding he be inducted in the New Day last week.
>>
>>2171126
well nigga you didnt give this fucking show to any european TV companies or US for like what, 15 years? Vikings and Game of Thrones did just fine globally, coz of global marketing and tv streams. You never wanted either of those.

So do you have a japanese market? yes.
Does WWE have worldwide market? yes. Be more like WWE but with WCW sense of fashion.
>>
>>2172834
Not as funny as being a stooge for a company that doesn't give a shit about you is.

Oh, wait: not funny. Sad!

>>2172808
Alvarez is a fucking moron.
>>
>>2172783
I love New Japan. Think they have the best product going on right now.
>>
I thought /asp/ said WWE was scared shitless of muh 6 star rating though and were trying to steal Kenny Omemega to top it.

also

>>meltz
>>
>>2173207
None of that contradicts what he said.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.