[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

what would be the best books for learning a martial art like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 51TJDV16XYL.jpg (38KB, 387x500px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
51TJDV16XYL.jpg
38KB, 387x500px
what would be the best books for learning a martial art like boxing, muay thai, or something else?

>inb4 just take a class lol
i dont have the money for that.
>>
>>1493274
then you're just a poser who's going to get themselves hurt

Get fit first if you can't find classes , learn to lift run, then when you get the chance to save money find coaches and training partners who can teach you. What's great about getting fit is you will be able to develop an pick up techniques a lil quicker then others beginners, unlike someone who is self taught and learned the wrong way then having your coach trying to unprogram all the shit technique and bad habits you ingrained into your own muscle memory

Books and videos are great supplmental material for people who do have prior knowledge, but honestly for beginners with no prior base to draw upon its like pissing in the wind, specially for beginners with no 2nd set of eyes to modify an adjust as they learn
>>
File: image.jpg (109KB, 600x600px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
109KB, 600x600px
>>1493294
Fucking this times 1,000,000.

Learn to run.
Learn to lift weights safely.
Learn to control your diet.

I lived in the middle of nowhere, very broke. What did I have? Shoes, weights? Made or bought cheap.

My goal was to be a martial artist in the long run.
>>
My only suggestion is once you finally get to a class. Quit or take a long break on anything fitness..
Going to class with a legit instructor one on one is the best way to learn from a master martial artist.
>>
>>1493274

If you want to learn the real art of boxing pick up How to box by Joe Louis, a dvd that is good to pick up is Kenny Weldons you too can learn to box or something like that.

Read a lot of stuff from luis monda aka mr sinister in sherdog stand up technique forum he is a good trainer.

Study pre 60's boxing the ndeepest lore in skill came before the late 50's.

You need to learns footwork first then the fist.

Boxing now has become a meme compared to the old days techinique has been on the decline because of the meme amateur system.

i will try to add more stuf to help you.
>>
>>1493274

Start here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDNoL8MDsc-CcVykawzDN95tpG04tWsoP

Graduate to Sean Fagan:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfPAvBZ2attE1p6yxVWDn4PP0lCf79-QB
>>
>>1495338
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-wCXox17S0
>>
>>1494783
here are some videos of luis monda's trainning style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UO4cweoeiU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRgwNh2GNbU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsEHHptAOYM
>>
>>1494783

And here is kenny weldon, another great trainer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP2dxT4Pygk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTxn4BUtEmE
>>
>>1493274
Get a rope.
Hang yourself.

Maybe in your next life you'll have enough money to take martial arts classes instead of being enough of a gullible dumbfuck to try learning it from a book.
>>
>>1497245
get a rope and do jump rope would be better
>>
>>1493274
>i dont have the money for that.
Watch YouTube videos. You get the exact same information, maybe even better, except it's completely free.
>>
>>1493274
>inb4 just take a class lol
>i dont have the money for that.
Well, then you're not learning a martial art like Boxing or Muay Thai.
>>
>>1493274
Star with a job
>>
>>1493294
This is wrong. Only stupid people can't teach themselves. You just need to be persistent and keep trying to get better. You'll think you have it all figured out, and then you'll learn something new and think you finally have it all figured out, then you'll learn another piece of the puzzle then so on and so forth. People who stay at the first or second breakthrough and never progress simply aren't trying hard enough.
>>
>>1493481
>My goal was to be a martial artist in the long run.

So how did that work out?
>>
>>1502020
wow i feel bad for your future children if you shit post like that.
>>
>>1493274

Don't listen to these fags, if you train hard and practice you can be a decent boxer. Bas rutten learned how to do a heel hook watching a movie in japan.
>>
If you dont have a gym near to you and want to learn, you need to be vere analytical and study the technique like a real science.

Keep yourself in shape and study various hours to corrct your form, technique is far more important than condition so take that priority.
>>
>>1499912
>Watch YouTube videos. You get the exact same information, maybe even better, except it's completely free.
>tfw this is true
>>
Any of you youtube scholars actually step up and test your theorycrafting?
>>
you can learn more about martial arts from reading biomechanics textbooks and then watching videos of skilled fighters or reading martial arts manuals than you can from taking a class with just about anyone, don't fall for the hype, anyone saying it's impossible fell for martial arts marketing, although there are exceptions

the only reason you need to leave your house to learn martial arts is in order to get actual sparring and drills in so that you can learn to use what you've been practicing in a fight against another person, rather than just beating the air to death and expecting things to go well when jamal tries to sucker punch you

most important thing is just understanding the proper order to learn things in, first choose a stance and stand in it on both sides until you can do it correctly in a mostly relaxed manner, then learn to step around, you should end up back in your perfect stance every time you complete a step and you should be able to move very quickly using small accurate steps, this will take some time to learn, after that learn the attacks of whatever style you're into, after that learn how that style defends against attacks

any form of wrestling requires a willing partner to practice, but you can practice the motions for things like punching and parrying anywhere

also once you've done a bit of sparring and have an idea of how people move and act one of the best ways to learn is just through shadowboxing in your spare time, that's an extremely misunderstood thing though, it's not something that you can do halfheartedly, you need to imagine someone is actually attacking you in real time and deal with it, this isn't some sort of image training, it's training yourself to move and act better in actual combat where the opponent is constantly moving around, rather than static form perfection, sparring accomplishes the same thing, and probably better, but you generally have the chance to shadowbox more often than you have the chance to spar
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.