[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My BJJ gym has recently started enforcing us saying "oss".

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: heliogracie[1].jpg (145KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
heliogracie[1].jpg
145KB, 900x900px
My BJJ gym has recently started enforcing us saying "oss". Fuck that. Gay as. I would accept it if we were a traditional club in Brazil or the states, but I'm not in either of those countries. Why the hell should we have to spurt some BJJ meme everytime the instructor says.

>ossu!
>room does a single clap

Also starting to enforce us bowing before we get on the mats. Get the fuck out with that shit. If I wanted tradition I would sign up to Master Wong's wing chun class. BJJ modern. No need for traditional crap. He's lucky I don't walk my dogshit-caked shoes onto the mat.

I just want to turn up, do some drills and have a roll. Not pretend it's fucking Mr Myagi.
>>
>>1258834
maybe crossfit is more your thing breh
>>
Porra
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>1258834
You rack diciprine.
>>
>>1258975
You can't burpee out of an armbar.
>>
>>1258834
It's a point of showing respect, and repetitive shit like that helps you remember.

Fucking Pavlovian psychology bullshit explanation goes here.
>>
>>1258834
Clubs in Brazil don't do it either, as far as I know.
Anecdote time. My BJJ instructor doesn't care for people being super respectful. He doesn't like people calling him by anything other than his first name, and whenever someone bows to him he'll either act really oblivious or start bowing to them, frequently and at complete random.
>>
>>1259110
>being instructed by a boor who can't express himself through words like a human being
>>
>>1259024
Idk mang them crossfit guys could probably box jump out of your armbar and snatch you into a broken spine
>inb4 crossfit is a cult
>>
your instructor is entitled to establish a culture in his club
as a student you are out of line when you say bjj is modern and has no need for traditional crap

when you are qualified to open a school and people are willing to pay money for your teachings, you can have an opinion. Until then you know nothing.

also
>bjj
>modern
shit was founded in 1917, it actually predates karate which wasn't formalised until the 1920s
which further shows you in fact know jack shit
>>
>making this thread again
You faggots can consider this pasta and ignore it from now on.
>>
>>1259812
He's super old school. Started training in the early 90s under Renzo Gracie, has won national competitions and has had a few mma fights. He runs the school super casually and is pretty much the definition of 'keeping it flowy'.
>>
>>1260078
>your instructor is entitled to establish a culture in his club
>as a student you are out of line when you say bjj is modern and has no need for traditional crap
I agree

>when you are qualified to open a school and people are willing to pay money for your teachings, you can have an opinion. Unil then you know nothing.
lol what stupid bullshit with bad grammar to top it off.
>>
>>1258834
OP is probably the kind of nigger who refuses to fist bump when boxing.
>>
>>1260078
>>bjj
>>modern
>shit was founded in 1917, it actually predates karate which wasn't formalised until the 1920s
>which further shows you in fact know jack shit

Haha, yep.

Most of your karates and kung fus are from the early 1900s-late 1800s at best, and they're traditional. Meanwhile boxing, wrestling, pankration, etc. have been around for millennia and get no respect for that.
>>
>>1258834
>taking a foreign tradition and butchering it in an attempt to become traditional

Grinds my gears to be honest. Either you do it correctly, or you don't - exactly because it's a tradition.
>>
>>1260905
It's not even a tradition except in some fairly modern young (or once young) tough karate guy circles. People in other arts just roll their eyes if you OSS!! all the time, at least in Japan.
>>
>>1258834

>Dr. Pavel, Im BJJ
>>
File: 1341922645578.gif (1MB, 320x181px) Image search: [Google]
1341922645578.gif
1MB, 320x181px
>>1258834
>racking this much disciprine
>>
>>1260861
>Meanwhile boxing, wrestling, pankration, etc. have been around for millennia and get no respect for that.

When you only care about what works, you don't need to stand on ceremony.
>>
>>1259024
>can't stand a few simple traditions
>can't take on the extreme freshness and rebelliousness of mutha fn crossfit that fits your modern lifestyle that eschews stale dogma

kys
>>
File: 1453496789235.jpg (64KB, 544x470px) Image search: [Google]
1453496789235.jpg
64KB, 544x470px
>>1258834
>BJJ Modern
>Wear a gi

Kek

Our gym manager is really into saying Oss and having people bow to the mats. I don't think the owner really cares and just goes along with it. All he wants us to do is bow before and after.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.