[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tae Kwon Do Defense

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: sillohouettekick.gif (2KB, 389x421px) Image search: [Google]
sillohouettekick.gif
2KB, 389x421px
Is TKD Useful at all for self defense? If I went straight to the instructor and said, I'm not interested in flowery forms and bullshit, I just want to fight and not die if the need arises, would I get just that?
The only gym around is a Tae Kwon Do 'studio', and I wan't to start learning to defend myself, and maybe some discipline along the way.
>>
>>1090056
just buy a gun for self defense
do TKD for fun
>>
>>1090061
I'm not able to buy, or carry for that matter, a gun, due to where I live. It's why I'm looking into marital arts.
>>
Yea absolutely.

Not nearly the best but anything is better than nothing and most people on the street have a whole lot of nothing.

I've deescalated situations on the street with fencing work and a confident stance.
>>
>>1090101
Then get a knife. martial arts are a hobby and a sport

want to protect yourself get a knife or gun. or not get into fights.
>>
>>1090056
No, a good portion of it will be memorizing many series of forms.
>>
>>1090112
gun yes. Knife is horrendous advice and I do mostly knife stuff.
>>
>>1090112
If you pull out a knife you can scare off the other guy, but if not and you don't have the balls or just can't to take him down you'll get even worse beating
>>
>>1090137
>>1090137
go to your kitchen
grab a knife
you don't even need to do fancy moves
just shank them prison style
>>
>>1090056
It's a meme martiat art like Crap Mago.
>>
>>1090153
Oh absolutely until you point it at someone who plays with knives more than you. You can say I have too much faith in martial arts but knives are a shiny magic wand that makes opponents run away until they aren't and then you're fucked.
>>
>>1090167
>>1090167
>>1090167
where's the logic in that
how many people play with knifes out of the general population?

so in all honesty a knife is great, and the odds of you against someone that plays knife, out of the low odds you get in a street fight are soo soo low.
>>
>>1090186
>how many people play with knifes out of the general population?
More people than martial artists, actually.

However, the amount of people who train to fight with knives is lower.
>>
>>1090186
the problem i have with knives is that most people would be extremely hesitant to use one. also if youre going to engage in hand to hand combat knowing some martial arts could still be helpful
>>
>>1090152
>>1090112
>>1090152

Getting a knife is a fucking horrible advice.
Having some combat experience under ones belt is way safer than having a knife or a gun.
So what, you might cop a beating, at least you will walk away without fucking lacerations or a bullet in your rib cage.
You pull a knife or a gun, and then it becomes real.
Just dont be lazy, learn some hand to hand.
>>
>high kicks
Enjoy getting your ass whooped.
>>
>>1090819
>it becomes real
well that's naive
any fight you have to expect you're going to die its always real. its killed or be kill
you have to have a knife at least or gun. silly hand to hand is going to have you shot or stabbed.
>>
>>1091146
if you live in a shitty area maybe. where i live fights are almost always 1v1 ego contests. 2 people have a problem with each other and they duke it out
>>
>>1091146
>it's kill or be killed
>silly hand to hand is going to have you shot or stabbed.

Knife and cloth shield fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hccyPJ7a8j4&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhccyPJ7a8j4&has_verified=1 [Embed]

Machete fight
youtube.com/watch?v=VhV9xTPRvaI [Embed]

Gang weapons fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWrYUUIrR2o [Embed]

Knife vs unarmed fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWTsM_YUOrQ [Embed]
>>
i took TKD for about 5 years got all the way to 2nd degree black belt, and not once has it yet to help me IRL, the way i see it it's just a waste of money, but depending on your situation, like where you live, if you own a weapon or no, and sometimes your health situation, it's honestly up to u. But i'd say you should look around and look into the training backgrounds of the sensei (whatever)who owns the dojo. My first teacher Master Culin was taught by "Grand Master Jhoon Rhee"a and he was a very wise dude, but the second guy was a newfag who was self taught in his garage. But all-in all, it helped me make friends i guess, and it kept me in shape. So if you're looking into it for the health benefits, go for it. (if they make you buy some bullshit training weapons i'd say don't go for it a good dojo should have some that they'd let you borrow if you're using training weapons)
>>
Kicks above the opponent's waist are ill advised.

It looks great until they grab your leg.
>>
File: 1458538078851.gif (2MB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
1458538078851.gif
2MB, 260x146px
>>1091391
>Kicks above the opponent's waist are ill advised.
>grab your leg
You just need to use good timing, be quick, and at a time where your opponent most likely wont expect it and or be able to react in that that way at all and or in time.
>>
File: sole-butt-kicks-irl.gif (4MB, 272x190px) Image search: [Google]
sole-butt-kicks-irl.gif
4MB, 272x190px
>>1091387
There's always this one faggot who claims to have done TKD and got nothing out of it.

Then there's the kid in gif related who has no power in his kicks, yet manages to do pretty good against a typical street fighter.
>>
>>1090056
I went to a judo/tkd school that was very self-defense minded: we trained the high kicks for competition and increasing flexibility and such, but we were told that kicking above the waist was usually a bad idea in a self-defense scenario.
>>
>>1091402
>but we were told that kicking above the waist was usually a bad idea in a self-defense scenario.
It's a bad idea to use the wrong things at the wrong time.
>>
>>1091402
Nah, head kicks are fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ld3Buf83Y

If you're worried about falling down just make sure you know how to wrestle.
>>
>>1091391
You do realize you can just... get your leg free, right? Like, you don't die if someone grabs your leg, you usually just limp-leg out.
>>
File: mortal-kombat-irl.gif (2MB, 410x318px) Image search: [Google]
mortal-kombat-irl.gif
2MB, 410x318px
>>1091391
>>
>>1090061

>just buy a gun for self defense

Not pepper spray? Not a taser?
Well then, have fun in prison..

>>1090137

>Knife is horrendous advice and I do mostly knife stuff

So much this!
I have some years of training in ecrima under my belt. And knifes are definately shit for self defense:

1. You raise the level of violence because most guys wil freak out against a knife (while underestimating clubbing tools)
2. A knife can (and will) be turned against you
3. A knife has no "stopping power". The art of fighting with a knife is to cut down/disable/kill the other guy, before he can do this with you. The guy who bleeds out last it the winner.
4. A clubbing tool gives you range advantage, more time to react more time to evade. Knifes require much faster responses and much more skill.
5. A club is the better weapon. One or two hits will disable the other guy, even kill him if you want to. Even if you fatally stab the other guy, he will still have 30 seconds left to stab you with your own knife.

>>1091402

>kicking above the waist was usually a bad idea in a self-defense scenario

Yes and no. Kicking is just MUCH more difficult than punching, so you mess up or the other guy catches your leg you are in a bad position. But if you are a good kicker why nto using your tools?

I'd say you still should generally use boxing and kicks more as a tool for surprise, to finish someone or to maintain distance.

>>1091408

Depends on your skills and on the other guys skills. If he really grabs very firmly and immediately twists the leg (or move away from you very fast) you'll have a hard time. Also think about multiple opponents: once you are trapped you lose your mobility, at least for some precious seconds.

So my 2 cents are: either you know exactly what you are doing or you shouldn't use (high) kicks.

>>1091410

But you noticed that he punched him out first?
>>
File: jbaki006-129.jpg (149KB, 728x1255px) Image search: [Google]
jbaki006-129.jpg
149KB, 728x1255px
>>1090056
if you train in a LEGIT gym with a LEGIT instructor then maybe, just maybe he'll teach you legitimate self-defense for streetfights
>tfw boxing and wrestling are also a part of our curriculum where we do it bi-weekly.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.