[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Martial art technique general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 35

File: sjw.jpg (235KB, 873x1024px) Image search: [Google]
sjw.jpg
235KB, 873x1024px
Hey can we get a general where we can get tips pointers, gifs/webms, on moves we are working having trouble working and all that? Striking and Grappling are both welcome.

pic related I'm a whitebelt and keep getting tapped real quick to a rear naked choke
>>
>>1080515
Don't give up your back.
>>
that isn't something you should keep getting stuck in, I'm a white belt and I don't think anyone has ever gotten it on me. I've had my back taken probably less than 4 times

I keep getting trapped in side control, that's the only thing I get totally fucked with
>>
>>1080515
seconding >>1080548
you need to keep better posture and positional awareness. If you're stuck in turtle you better start hand fighting, sitting out doing whatever you can to not have your back take. Control the position, fight the hands. those are the critical ideas you should be thinking to reduce being choked from RNC
>>
>>1080566
what's stopping or jamming you're bridging, rolling and shrimping? ideally all 3 of those concepts can give you enough space to retain guard or at leas half.
>>
File: combat_siecle_small.jpg (34KB, 349x274px) Image search: [Google]
combat_siecle_small.jpg
34KB, 349x274px
How do you guys like to do your side kicks, and why?

When doing a side kick, you could:
- keep your arms tucked
- extend your arm
- other

If you keep your arms tucked during your side kick, you have a guard that helps with defense.

If you keep your arm out, like in a Savate style side kick, it helps with balance.
>>
>>1080627
>How do you guys like to do your side kicks, and why?

I don't, because my hip flexors are messed up.

>When doing a side kick, you could
Keep your damn hands up in front of your fucking face so you don't get knocked the fuck out AND put your mass properly into the kick rather then lean off like a silly faggot.
>>
File: 2007_gymtour[2].jpg (89KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
2007_gymtour[2].jpg
89KB, 450x450px
>>1080586
I'm a side control person myself. I started with shooto, and then went to another school with shooto/catch/bjj/foklstyle. Got lots of great stuff early on from side control.

I'll be honest, most people have a hell of a time getting away from my side control. I have a lot more options than most people from the position, and I don't mind staying there.

That being said, I feel pretty confident defending myself with someone on top of me in side control. There are several simple thing that I think really help.

The first is preventing the position. When people start passing your guard, oftentimes people push on their head. Nothing wrong with that in principle, however they push the head in the wrong direction. You need to club their head to the side they are trying to pass toward. This can also open up opportunity for omoplata.

The second is doing something "wrong". I have been told not to do this, even by higher belts (even after our coach was explaining how some people use this escape 2 minutes earlier). Turning away to escape. You have to be careful with this. One option I learned on Ryan's Halls Defensive Guard series. You have to be sure to check the hook underneath you and come up to your knees. The other option I usually use is inverting to a half granby roll. Here is a video on it. It is extremely effective. The half granby roll is a pivotal tool for guard retention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygfnLjP6YQU

Another thing that should be used is proper defensive arm positioning. Here are two video from Firas Zahabi explaining how to do this and how to go immediately into submission. I have been using this to great effect lately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3dMhE793g4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8uqy1ExunY

There are some other things too that work well like fucking with your butterfly hooks. Require some coordination and flexibility. Eddie Bravo has a bunch of escapes like that on his Mastering the Rubber Guard DVD.
>>
>>1080639
>Keep your damn hands up in front of your fucking face so you don't get knocked the fuck out AND put your mass properly into the kick rather then lean off like a silly faggot.
>My way is right and everybody who does it different is wrong.
I bet you're fun at parties.
Have fun getting your ribs broken, and your organs contused, faggot.
Who knows, if you keep your hands up and away from your body hard enough, you could even get a ruptured liver or spleen.
>>
>>1080586
they just get that shit in there, and are able to close the spaces I create faster than I can make them.
This has however resulted in me having a savage half guard. I don't really know what to do once I get you there but if I get your leg it belongs to me until I say so. Even the much higher belts take a few /minutes/ to get loose from it
>>
>>1080838
I'll say this i'm a judoka and wrestler so i wind up getting in half guard when on my back, because of that and my wrestling my half guard is a great offensive set.

So one thing to note there's 2 huge details about half guard that you need. One is the upper body having your head posted squarly into their chest, and your shoulder deep under their armpit, this helps create your underhook

https://youtu.be/tm99MEVmCAo?t=14m44s

Second key detail is your legs and creating torque and tension on their knee and ankle

You're going to use your outside leg (the same side leg that has the underhook arm, and lace your leg against their knee, this creates the judo principle of kuzushi and forms the wrestling position of dog fighting.

https://youtu.be/tm99MEVmCAo?t=16m44s

I tell this to everyone at my dojo since half guard is common found in judo but is only used as a defensive stall, instead of an offensive platform, NEVER lay flat. if you look at leties, he's on his elbow posted his hips off the mat.

This is personaly preference but i am not a find of the BJJ sweeps he demos here (what we call in judo and wrestling as a suicide roll with uke rolling completely overall him and increasing the chance of getting stuck in a pin)

I'm more of a fan of using different wrestling finishes to complete a half guard sweep, but its personal preference to be honest.
>>
>>1080644
>>1080914
This goes sort of into a side control escape, but besides the usual bridging and rolling i tell my wrestlers to do a full granby roll, or aim for a single, without prompting a lot of my kids will have a rudimentary half guard that flows right into a single leg.

I'll say this i'm not a big proponent of the lock down style half guard, nothing wrong with it, its nice and solid but it takes a longer time to set your offense up and get it off, compared to leties style, and with the rule sets i use of judo and wrestling there's not enough time allowed on the mat work to let that go on. So using Leite's half guard it allows a quick scramble, reversal, to happen in a shorter window of time.
>>
File: granby roll drill solo.gif (647KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
granby roll drill solo.gif
647KB, 500x280px
>>1080838
One other thing i want to advice you, specially early in your grappling career, take the time and drill on your own the basic shrimping and bridging i mean not just only when your coaches tell you, but take the time when you come to class early and hold your bridge for 10 mins, do 50 more laps across the mat shrimping. Developing and instilling those fundamental skills and ingraining them into your muscle memory quicker will help develop your escapes and other offensive and defensive sets more efficiently

Here's a granby roll FYI, this is a full one, the one discussed earlier >>1080644
is a half granby which lands you in guard a full granby will land you on your knees/fours read for a reshot or stand up
>>
File: 1397264406056.jpg (60KB, 400x254px) Image search: [Google]
1397264406056.jpg
60KB, 400x254px
>>1080920
I wasn't referring to lockdown really. Eddie has a number of more unusual side control escapes that depend weaving your feet in. I think maybe you can go right into lockdown on one of them, but you don't have to. Most of the end you up in butterfly guard.

You might be able to google them if interested:
Jail Break
The Flo
The funnel
The 25 cent

I use lockdown in half-guard, but it's not my go to. I personally prefer to play half-guard with a butterfly hook. I feel you have that with the butterfly hook you have the greatest ability to disrupt your opponents base, sweep, sit-up to butterfly guard, or go right into a heel hook/transition to X-guard.

I personally haven't really tried the Lucas Leites style leg hook. I have been taught it on a few occasions, but feel I would have to drill it a bunch before trying it.

I was watching some of his stuff recently and I like how he will jump across to the other side to take the back from dogfight if they have a strong whizzer.
>>
>>1080967
>whizzer
That component alone is probably a huge reason why wrestlers like me flock or adapt easier to half guard for their ground work since its a widely used, drilled and since position in all levels of wrestling ground work

The following youtube is a great conceptional study on the 2 components talked earlier, using the leg hook, and getting the underhook to create strong whizzers, the principles alone is enough food for thought to tweak your half guard game

https://youtu.be/dy0YIB2_A1Q
>>
>>1081020
That was the video I was talking about.
>>
>>1081031
oh my bad
have you looked at the 2nd vid?
>>
>>1081034
Hmm, maybe I only watched one of them. I think the second now that you mention there being 2.
>>
>>1080627
this style of guard isnt used anymore in modern savate, we just keep the classic hands in front guard.

>>1080639
don't listen to him however, its totally ok to lean on the rear like in your pick, you have less weight but it doasnt matter since anyway you are searching for a short "bouncy" impact.
>>
>>1082675
Let's see your technique, faggot.
Show us a combo or something.
>>
File: image.jpg (185KB, 664x1203px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
185KB, 664x1203px
>>
>>1080639
Please show me a picture of someone doing a side kick with both hands up, I need a good laugh. For a proper side kick, your lead hand should be across your abdomen, punching down as you turn your hip into the kick. Your rear hand should be up by your head for the 1% chance they throw a counter spin hook and you don't stick them midway through it.

>Keep your damn hands up in front of your fucking face so you don't get knocked the fuck out
You aren't going to block a punch mid-kick. You have to make sure via angles or distance that he can't punch you as you kick, before you even throw anything.

>AND put your mass properly into the kick rather then lean off like a silly faggot.
Enjoy overextending and landing in a split if you miss, get your foot caught, or get swept when you land. For every kick besides the front kick, your body should be in the shape of a T or a Y so you stay on balance.
>>
I want to learn a bit about grappling but it's such a mild interest and schools are so expensive, I'd rather not take classes somewhere

Are there any resources that are good for teaching, provided you have someone to spar with?
>>
>>1083213
grappling's details are really tough to smooth out without someone spotting you and fixing those mistakes on the fly even with a training partner, with you, and neither of you having and experience its the blind leading the blind and someone's going to get hurt or injured in the long run as you guys muscle in poor technique in your muscle memory.

a lot of grappling schools offer a free class or two why not take them up and get some pointers or ask to do private classes or clinics?
>>
>>1083215
Not him, but that shit's expensive.

If he's never going to compete, he might as well have fun with grappling.

Hell, life's too short to bother with that bullshit.
You're going to die, you might as well pursue your interests while you still have the chance. You shouldn't let "but muh technique might not be pretty" bullshit get in your way.
>>
>>1083213
Use YouTube.
>>
>>1083215
>>1083232
Even if he wants to compete, he should still just fuck around with a friend.

Not doing something with what you have just because you might not be as good is total bullshit.

>Oh, I might not be a good Boxer even if I go to this expensive Boxing gym, I should just drink beer and smoke cigarettes instead
That's total bullshit.

Think of all the professional fighters today.
Do you think they got where they are because they thought other people could be better than them?
>>
File: Anderson Fucking Silva.jpg (127KB, 1304x350px) Image search: [Google]
Anderson Fucking Silva.jpg
127KB, 1304x350px
>>1083213
>>1083215
Fucking Anderson Silva.

Anderson Silva fucked around with his friends that did BJJ because he couldn't afford it.
Anderson Silva started grappling informally.

Anderson Silva eventually became one of the best fucking MMA fighters in history.
AND he has a black belt in BJJ.
>>
>>1083215
>b-but if I train with my friend with hundreds of online resources, we might not be as good as people who train with professionals
That's some serious fucking bullshit.
>>
File: Artist.jpg (435KB, 1661x675px) Image search: [Google]
Artist.jpg
435KB, 1661x675px
>>1083215
Hitler wanted to be an artist, but something got in the way of that. Look where he ended up.
>>
File: Anderson_Silva.jpg (19KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Anderson_Silva.jpg
19KB, 200x200px
>>1083213
>>1083215
>>1083239
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Silva
>>
>>1083242
I'm a coach and teacher at the high school level, i dont run my own judo school yet but i do teach judo also. and honestly it is bullshit, And that's quality shit posting you got
I contribute and i like talking about technique, and the craft and the art of grappling.

My main concern is knowing some set of people out there are going to hurt themselves. Even with a passing interest in grappling wither its judo, bjj, sambo or wrestling if you're gonna do it, do it right. Even for shit and giggles. Its not about how pretty the move is, but man as an adult i hate hearing someone getting career ending knee, or elbow or hip or worse neck injuries cause they were trying to dick around.

I like breaking down and giving people resources, showing them details they might not have seen before. But shit if you're going try to attempt them do it in a proper setting with mats, guys that can help you tweak the details, protect your body and spot you for any bad spots.

Mutual respect and mutual combat just the huge of mutual welfare is a big component of judo i take to heart not only in the craft i teach but what i do day to day,it is about not getting yourself in shit situations and attempting to learn on your own is a recipe to get hurt or your friend hurt.
>>
File: anderson-silva-04.png (948KB, 1697x1003px) Image search: [Google]
anderson-silva-04.png
948KB, 1697x1003px
>>
File: wrestling seoi nage.gif (2MB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
wrestling seoi nage.gif
2MB, 500x280px
>>1083248
Not everyone is Anderson Silva or Jon Jones. There are a bunch of talented athletes out there in all sorts of rule sets and venues and you can teach them and they can pick up moves faster then a common layman but they still need proper instruction.

Also i have high doubts that the people asking are high lvl athletes on the scale of Anderson Silva.

Before this general gets derail ill be up for another hour, i dont mind talking or dissecting.any grappling questions people have right now. but i really advise you guys to find a training partner or coach or teacher to actually help teach you how to do these moves.
>>
>>1083251
There's risk in everything, and some people don't have close to the quality of life you do.
There are starving African militia soldiers training martial arts in the dirt, because that's all they have.

"'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"
- Wilphred Shaking Speers.

"it was better than nothing."
- Anderson Silva

You're the one shitposting here.

You can live your life in a padded room, or you can live your life while you still can.

You're suggesting someone live a life of nothingness because the it's possible they could get hurt.

It's like those overprotective parents who don't let their children leave the house because it's dangerous.
It's like a parent who doesn't let their 16 year old child run outside because the child could fall and hurt himself.
It's like riding a bike with training wheels your whole life.

Sure, you're a coach. Sure, you're at teacher, that doesn't mean you know shit about philosophy and living a life.

Fuck off, and don't ever come back.
>>
>>1083251
why do you always post gay fucking webms with all your post it begs of attention whoring. also everyone on 4chan is an undefeated MMA champion. no reason your more important or knowledgeable then any other autistic here.
>>
>>1083256
>Not everyone is Anderson Silva or Jon Jones.
That's not the fucking point.

>people should get instruction
I fucking agree.

Not everyone can get instruction, because not everyone was born with a golden fucking spoon up their ass.

Some people have to make due with a wooden spoon.
Some people only have their fucking hands.

>Oh, I don't have a spoon, so I just won't fucking eat.
>>
>>1083258
>everyone on 4chan is an undefeated MMA champion.
You're undefeated if you've never fought before.
>>
>>1083239

>Anderson Silva fucked around with his friends that did BJJ because he couldn't afford it.

So he did learn form someone who had an experienced teacher. Which is NOT what anon wrote here >>1083215 :

>even with a training partner, with you, and neither of you having and experience its the blind leading the blind

Goddamn, /asp/ when will you get some reading comprehension..?

Also what is this faggotry about not going to a real dojo to learn?
Even with no money, stuff like Wrestling or Judo is cheap as dirt (even free in some countries). And if you don't have a teacher you won't even get the basics down.

I'm not saying it's bad to have fun and do some "fun grappling" with friends. But if you learn 2 month from a good instructor it's worth 2 years of "fun grappling".
>>
>>1083251
>>1083257
>Fuck off, and don't ever come back.
I didn't mean it. I don't want you to leave. Stay with us forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeaVSgP7Kd0
>>
>>1083257
>know shit about philosophy
>he said while parroting shitty stoic advice paraded by a bunch of pedophiles, the majority of whom ended up killing themselves
>>
What's everyone's favorite guard pass and how do i git gud? i always get stuck in there
>>
>>1084408
Shin-on-shin toreando or any toreando where I rotate my partner sideways - push>pull>rotate. The latter is basically a converted irimi nage, an Aikido technique.

But, first things first, against an open guard get pressure on the knees to seize the initiative. If their knees can move freely they can control and then attempt sweeps and submissions, and you're not going to pass.
>>
>>1084408
I learned how to samurai roll the other day and I think its my new favorite technique, only need to pass one leg and can take the back. But more importantly its fucking silly and confusing and people who don't know about it get caught and then go "wait, what the fuck just happened here?"
>>
File: 141qfc1.jpg (43KB, 960x641px) Image search: [Google]
141qfc1.jpg
43KB, 960x641px
>>1084408
My favorite guard pass is dive roll kimura. Doesn't always work the best though. Fun to do though.

I am most successful at guard passing by forcing half-guard, switching my hips and then going from there. I usually try to get a kimura/armbar. If not, it often sets up the pass. If I get it, I will try to finish, or pass while they are worry about me finishing.

The other thing to consider when approaching someone's guard: Is this guard worth passing? If they are dangling their legs, you might as well just leg lock them. That is a guard that is not worth passing in my opinion. If you can enter a dominant leg lock position, you have done better than a pass in my opinion.

I am currently working on knee-cut and backstep/flop/inverted half passing. They work synergistically, and the backstep can go right into a dominant leg lock position.

>>1084476
How are you setting it up? The way I have seen from Eddie Bravo (aka the person who named it that) you usually get there from 3/4 mount. Any other options? I've drilled it a bit. I know there are more options, or similar moves like getting it when you have them in turtle.
>>
>>1084962
>How are you setting it up?
actually what I like to do most of all is bait it from side control, let them think they escaped but really they just fell into my trap
>>
File: 1377293432868.jpg (140KB, 620x620px) Image search: [Google]
1377293432868.jpg
140KB, 620x620px
>>1085080
Oh, I would just stay in side control. People do that from mount though. Let them get the 1/4 guard then roll.

If you want to do it from side control, I would just do Eddie's regular twister side control rolls to the back. He has a shit ton of them with tons of options.
>>
File: canto choke.gif (533KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
canto choke.gif
533KB, 320x240px
>>1084408
I use my wrestling to pressure pass them or knee slice.

As long as you protect your neck, using the double leg (gripping both their legs, locking hands, and applying shoulder pressure) is a nice go to pass. you can see it modeled here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sugJhu3Ba1Q

Another pass that gives synergy to wrestling based mat work is the tozi pass which lets wrestlers implement running a half nelson from close guard (on the same side underhook) then circling away from the half nelson to knee slice over the weaken guard.

here's a reference for what i am saying (note that he uses a gi, this pass is nice because you can use no gi, BUT with the no gi variant you need to have a tighter grip on your half nelson, where as the gi you need the grip on the neck/crook of the elbow)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atB-G83CZ7I
I am trying to find another reference but lastly another good guard pass using wrestling principles relies on using a cradle

Near side and far side cradles work fucking good because guys never really see them much and their reactions are just a fraction of a second behind.

Same with Tozi pass. Everyone thinks they can just arm bar out or take the back but when you are a good wrestler and you know how to manipulate upper bodies like that during a pass, its WAY harder to defend than it looks.

UFC MW Chris Weidman has used this more then a few times, and Phil Davis ill try to find webms or gifs of them using it
>>
File: 1450064889835.jpg (150KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
1450064889835.jpg
150KB, 1252x1252px
Should I Judo or BJJ? also will i get cauliflower ear if i don't wear ear protection?
>>
>>1085215
nothing wrong with either guess it really depends on where you live and what club/gym/dojo has the best prices, schedules and teaching pedagogy that matches with you . Both are legit style and rulesets and it ultimately depends on your own taste.

In regards to cauliflower ear, it really depends, on the club you join and what drills you move, how much grinding your head is gonna get. You'll see both judoka and bjj players with cauliflower ear depending on what techniques they train. More wrestling based clubs youll see a proflication, head gear does help but honestly a casual player of either you'll probably have nothing to really fear
>>
>>1085231
thanks for answering, the dojos i had my eye on are about the same price and distance from me, pedagogy i don't really care about but they both seem to spout the same stuff.

and i really think both are cool so i can't really decide, can't afford both. would you say one is more practical for self defense or simpler to learn?
>>
File: newaza Düsseldorf 2015.webm (3MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
newaza Düsseldorf 2015.webm
3MB, 300x169px
>>1085259
pedagogy is teaching and coaching technique and even though it may seem they are "spouting" the same thing, every instructor and coach has their own teaching method.And then its up to you as the student to see who's teaching method meshes well with your learning style,

Everyone learns how to do equations in math class, but depending on how your teacher explained it it cliques quicker or slower depending on your learning style.

Same could be said with teaching judo or BJJ, both are good styles but what makes them different really is dependent on who's teaching them,

Can i ask you if you have any links or info about the dojos you're looking at and we can perhaps tell you if they're worth even investigating? If you got 2 in mind, really just call them up and try the free class/sample class and see which one you enjoy more.
>>
>>1085270
oh i see, i thought it meant like the martial art's ideology.

and yeah i was going to take the free bjj class, but you can't even sit in the judo class without paying a small fee.

i'd rather not say which dojos but i'll give them both a look. sorry for asking so many questions but do you know what kind of things i should look for as far as coaching techniques?
>>
File: Liparteliani osaekomi.webm (3MB, 640x368px) Image search: [Google]
Liparteliani osaekomi.webm
3MB, 640x368px
>>1085297
that's a tougher question to answer cause it depends on your own needs as a student and what helps you. You hear from many about making sure the instructors credentials/linage are in line , and the school competes but a crucial one is how does that gym and its training partners mesh with your learning style

Most of these schools are going to have you do a basic warm up, knee wrestle/roll and then break down a few fundamentals movements from shrimping, bridging,basic falls and rolls, and then break down a few basic moves or moves they're working on..
Ideally a good school should have friendly enough senior belts to help you fine tune the details that you are botching or spot you as attempt your moves, from drilling to going live/randori/sparring.

One major pet peeve for me is to always have a place that has training partners for you, people your size or heavier, one your weight/size, one heavier then you and one at least more experience then you, If those in mind you should have a decent to great place to learn and progress your career in whatever style you choose from wither its judo or bjj.
>>
>>1085297
im a blue in bjj and my gym does judo once a week and as far as im concerned they're both awesome!

You might be able to find a place that offers both
>>
>>1085321
>>1085322
cool cool, thanks
>>
File: hierarchy2.jpg (25KB, 400x318px) Image search: [Google]
hierarchy2.jpg
25KB, 400x318px
>>1080515
Hips down!
Break the grips!
Pass the guard!
Move,move,move!
Don't apply pressure yet!
Relax, don't tire yourself out!
Take your time!

Somethings my coaches yell at me during matches.

This image should help you alot. If you're on your back shrimp,get up, and get opponent flattened out. Sure you can submit from bizarre positions but you have better chances from dominant positions.
>>
>>1085671
Also, the only way to get good is doing actual matches. You'll never be able to land anything by just doing the drills. Going live really puts everything into perspective.

Get in your open mat sessions> get into tournaments > get good

As my professor says "your just doing katas if your just learning the movements,get in your open mat"
>>
Anyone with tips on executing the capoeira back kick where there put their hand on the ground?
>>
>>1085678
Learn break dancing an look up b boy flares its the same thing
>>
>>1080515

I'm glad you've finally made a post on these forums, Conor "the wrestler" Mcgregor.

First you should be warned that manlets can never defeat normal sized human beings, and you are going to lose the rematch against Diaz.

I know you have been trained in touch-butt from that fag in a ponytail, but in a fight you shouldn't roll over and present your ass while in guard. You might have to learn some basic BJJ the next time you flip your wig and shoot for a takedown.
>>
>>1080515
Not sure why nobody has said this yet, but when someone goes for your throat, make sure to put your hand to your neck (palm cupped, but facing your neck). As they go for the choke, push your hand through their arm. This allows you to breath. If you continue pushing and altering your positioning (rounding your back, moving hips, etc.) you may be able to save yourself from tapping out. Sometimes you can "wiggle" and get your arm all the way through and if you're quick, you might get an opportunity for an arm-bar or choke.
>>
>>1080515
-when it comes to being able to take punches to the head, neck strength is incredibly underrated

-for people who hurt their wrist often while punching, doing fist pushups while wearing gloves helps alot to stabilize them

-crunches and situps are highly overrated (if not completely useless) if you want your abs to take a punch. the best way to get them stiff and sturdy is to just get someone to use your abs like a punching bag. I usually do 5 or more sets of 50 punches after every practice. if I don't find anyone to punch me, I do it myself (using the thumb and index finger to jab as hard as you can in your abs can get you a surprizingly good burn)
also, planks are good too (front and side).
>>
>>1087075
>if not completely useless
The more mass in your abs, the more mass that absorbs the hits so your organs don't take them.
Also, technique is always important; flex your abs and breath out while taking a punch.
>>
>>1087152
>The more mass in your abs, the more mass that absorbs the hits so your organs don't take them.
by that logic it would be much more practical to just get fat because you are not going to add any significant amount of mass with pure abs.
>Also, technique is always important; flex your abs and breath out while taking a punch.
well of course, that's a given (I would have assumed, at least)
>>
>>1087169
>by that logic it would be much more practical to just get fat because you are not going to add any significant amount of mass with pure abs.
also much more energy efficient because you don't need to flex fat
>>
>>1087169
>by that logic it would be much more practical to just get fat
Kyokushin guys, so I'm told, like to get a little fat, along with their muscle, so they get the best of both worlds.
>>
>>1087177
>because you don't need to flex fat
You mean intramuscular fat?
Not all fat is intramuscular fat.

Sumo wrestlers are a good example of people who put on subcutaneous fat, fat that doesn't invade and weaken their muscles.

Here's a link to some sumo info.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUrzBKVvvDY
>>
>>1087169
>by that logic
It's like you just want to argue on the internet.
>>
>>1087202
what else is there to do on the internet?
>>
>>1087221
Not shit post
>>
>>1087152
>more mass in your abs
unless you're doing about 8 to 12 reps near max, you're not going to build much mass in your abs at all
>>
>>1087378
When you have so little, a little more is that much more mass.
>>
>>1087378
>8 to 12 reps near max
wut
8 to 12 reps per set, nearing max set?
8 to 12 reps alone is nothing.
>>
Can A newfag adult start martial arts

Am I autistic for trying
>>
>>1087388
nothing wrong with starting a martial art as an adult.
>>
>>1087378
>unless you're doing about 8 to 12 reps near max
>>1087387
I think I see what you're trying to say now.
8 or 12 reps near your maximum rep amount.
>>
>>1087388
Yes, just keep in mind your fitness level.
People often don't exercise as much as they get older.
Some people try a high kick, and then tear their shit up, having to take some time out from a strain.
Some people try to lift weights they used to be able to lift, and strain their joints and tendons.
>>
>>1087291
>arguing = shitposting
I bet you want everybody on the internet to be licking each others assholes for upvotes. fuck off to reddit faggot
>>
>>1087388
there are plenty of people over 30 and even 40 who come to my boxing gym. and no, people will not think "omg why is this old guy trying to exercise like us kids". more likely the opposite, people are generally impressed when some older person decides to do martial arts
>>
>>1087805
there's nothing to argue about, you're trying to shit post and start a non argument.
>>
>>1088276
shit man, sorry if I responded to harshly to you while you were on your period, jesus christ
>>
File: illegal arm in choke out.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
illegal arm in choke out.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>1085671
this is what i constantly yell at with the freshmen wrestlers. A huge thing for a lot of beginners is to LISTEN to your coaches.

I don't care if you've done bjj, or were told something by a judo guy.. or want to hit some fancy throw and a double leg and half are too simple..
If you're willing to be coachable, work hard, compete/fight/do your best, and behave, you can get far in your martial art career but a lot of people burn out and not listening to their coaches hurts them.
>>
So I'm gonna be attending Ryerson university and they have a wrestling club, I have no wrestling experience but it seems to be the only martial art they offer that's viable for MMA. I'm already lifting, but is there anything else I can do to help me prepare?
>>
File: flying squirrel.gif (3MB, 400x224px) Image search: [Google]
flying squirrel.gif
3MB, 400x224px
>>1088335
keep lifting
run build up your cardio and then honestly just go to practice keep an open mind and work hard.
>>
>>1088343
Got it, I've got a solid weightlifting regimen, I just have to find a good running one now too, thanks!
>>
File: ankle pick tie.gif (2MB, 500x349px) Image search: [Google]
ankle pick tie.gif
2MB, 500x349px
>>1088344
looked up your club
you're fortunate to train under an Olympian you're in for a legit training and hopefully a long fruitful "career" in wrestling and grappling in general, its fun as hell. hard and depressing but fun.
>>
>>1088349
Yeah man, hopefully there isn't an admissions process or they won't be too full
>>
>>1088335
is wrestling popular in Canada as it is in America like do Canadian schools have wrestling teams in highschool and middle school?
>>
>>1088828
I didn't see any wrestling clubs in my area, it might just be the schools around me though
>>
I try not to even come here because of all the fucking wrestling threads. What a shithole.

I will say however- die for the neck of your opponent. At least with judo or jui jitsu. You should give everything you have to take their neck.

I'm not for the arm or the leg move. I mean it has a certain validity but there's nothing more dangerous than an opponent that will do anything they can for the rear-naked or the like. Once you get it lock legs on them. Do not let them move. Go for broke every time. You didn't lose just because they scored more points.
>>
>>1083260
You don't really make any sense outside your own head either.
>>
File: marchin held imnari roll sweep.gif (2MB, 348x195px) Image search: [Google]
marchin held imnari roll sweep.gif
2MB, 348x195px
>>
>>1090048
noice
>>
You fags do realize you won't learn shit doing 1 hour classes twice a week.

That being said how the fuck do I learn to fight?
>>
>>1090317
Not all classes are 1 hour
Not all people practice twice a week

Probably to get the most you need to go to class 3 times a week
and 2 hour work outs, but of course that depends on your schedule
>>
>>1090317
You do realize you don't know shit about learning.
>>
>>1080914
you gotta respect neil magny, he lost to damian maia and then spot a good few months learning from him to fix his mistakes in his grappling.

You can see some of the influence last night. Magny hit a similar half guard to maia, the finish was different though.
>>
up
>>
>>1090317

I go to the dojo five times a week.

I'm just on vacation.

Just go to a dojo or gym and if the sensei (whatever) isn't a cunt then just keep going.

You'll know when you're in a really hardcore place. Don't shy away.
>>
>>1088349
Sounds good so far

inb4 they slap me with that 300 dollar per class fee
>>
>>1091737
>Don't worry about the fee for now
sounds like my own coach who's an olympic alternate, money is the last thing on their mind and they teach because they can and want to give back,

they probably won't ask for fees unless they get hounded by admins. so for now enjoy the free classes.

sounds like they just need the extra bodies/people to go in and train.
>>
>>1092055
Sounds great, guess I'll just keep training till I go there in the fall
>>
>>1092055
>money is the last thing on their mind
BJJ fag reporting in. I don't know this feel.
>>
>>1092079
There's some BJJ instructors out there that volunteer there time and don't ask for money. Historically the Oswaldo Fadda and Luis Franca branch of BJJ were known to help the poor for free, which did cause a rift between them and the Gracie branch.
>>
File: ronda demo at canto.gif (1MB, 271x185px) Image search: [Google]
ronda demo at canto.gif
1MB, 271x185px
>>1092079
>>1092095
USJA and judo generally in the north american scene has a strong grass root non profit vibe to them, so a lot of american judo dojo for better or worse run on a shoe string budget or no budget at all. In their own way its one aspect of Prof Kano's vision as judo being used as a education system and for me as a coach and teacher sorta influenced by i stuck to judo and wrestling and became a coach teacher with no monetary influence, Its a headache though writing grants or trying to figure out how to keep the lights on

Flavio Canto of Brazil is an olympic judoka and BJJ blackbelt that gives back to his community by having a HUGE judo dojo non profit for at risk kids and youth, who are taught high level martial arts for free.

Ronda Rousey also does similar clinics either teaching middle school and highschool for free or relatively cheap, i think the last ronda rouse clinic i saw was 10 bucks, this was before her UFC championship though
>>
up up
>>
>>1096129

>I know one counterexample, so BJJ is not for richfags
>>
>>1097324

>I take online taekwondo classes
>>
>>1097327

Good for you!

I'm taking Judo and it costs about 1/3 of the next BJJ gym arround.
>>
What can I expect to get out of a week free trial at a Judo gym.
>>
>>1097833
A week of class, what are you going to get out in terms of long term skill? maybe not much because ingraining technique and timing require more then just a week of training.

As cheesy as it is hopefully you have fun and begin a long career in grappling.

the first class or two or three, you'll be learning how to do safety falls called ukemi which will help you take a fall from a throw.

secondly you'll probably work with either other beginners or brown or black belt to do some of the more fundemntal throws ranging from;

a) hip toss/o goshi
b) out side leg trip /osoto gari
c) shoulder throw /seoi nage
d) inside leg trip /ouchi gari
e) body drop throw/ tai otoshi

or whatever the black belt feels specialized in to teach you

in regards to ground work (called newaza) you should learn a basic turn over or tilt, a wrestler's half nelson into a scaffold pin, maybe the 3 major meta submissions of

a) okuri eri jime (rolling bow and arrow choke)
b) rolling juji gatme (rolling arm bar)
c)koshi jime (clock choke)

its case by case dojo to dojo, but when i teach beginners that is the usual jist as black belt that ill go over with .
>>
>>1097847
i forgot to add that you'll learn to escape from kesa, so bridge an roll or shrimping, or what my school calls around the world pin series, so transferring from kesa, to shio to kami shio to kuzure kesa, to keep your opponent pinned
>>
File: heaney2[2].jpg (15KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
heaney2[2].jpg
15KB, 360x240px
>>1097848
I just noticed that the mongol lift looks like a technique I believe my coach got from Greco. He calls it the impossible throw, because once you start it, it's impossible to stop you.

He has shown 2 set-ups I have seen. One is from 50/50 pummel where you step inbetween their legs pulling them onto you and then you spin them.

The other is so fucking counter intuitive that I would probably never do it live. You arm drag them, but you step inbetween their legs with the opposite leg you usually step with, then spin them down. You can bull dog choke them on the way down if they fight you.

Cool move
>>
File: Dashdavaa pick up.webm (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Dashdavaa pick up.webm
2MB, 500x281px
>>1097858
>>1097858
I don't coach greco but every now and then i do see people backward engineer it, i don't think its directly taught but inferred based on principle, however i think a lot of russian and former soviet block countries rely on these variant throw, specially the one you describe . I know its hugely popular with Mongolian wrestlers and their native style. Every year that have that big Naadam tournie and every year i see people use the move. So i got super excited when the last 6 years people brought it over to judo
Thread posts: 115
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.