[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boxing General: WSTCC Ed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 348
Thread images: 33

File: shum portrait color.jpg (19KB, 216x204px) Image search: [Google]
shum portrait color.jpg
19KB, 216x204px
So I was in >>1031026 and realized a couple of things:

1 - I answer a shitton of boxing related questions.
2 - I like to help and teach people about a sport I love
3 - I've bought way too much equipment and can answer questions/give advice about stuff I've seen that's good, bad, etc

If anyone's interested, I'll post my credentials, the shit I have, and might even post some videos covering boxing basics especially for /asp/ (footwork, stance, basic combinations, beginner mistakes, etc).

If not, then at least we have another boxing general.
>>
>>1052723
/asp/ needs less shit posting and more knowledable people posting that train. only reason why i keep coming back is i learn about judo. nice to see one about boxing.
>>
I'm honestly interested in boxing but I'm scared that taking blows to the head is going to make me retarded. Is this something I should be worried about?
>>
>>1052948
My grades started to improve since I started boxing last year and I've had cuts, welts, and bruises in the face
>>
>>1052948
Only if you fight someone either poorly trained or much, much bigger and meaner than you. A good coach wouldn't put you in that situation and if one does talk to them about your concerns. If they tell you to man up, leave. They're dumbass macho neanderthals that are helping kill the sport.
>>
File: 1321564513.jpg (3MB, 3993x2975px) Image search: [Google]
1321564513.jpg
3MB, 3993x2975px
Ok, then, a little about myself:

1 - I've been boxing for about a year now. I started last year because I screwed up my shoulder and was afraid of hurting it doing Aikido. I've wanted to box since I was 18 but lacked the courage go to a gym. I have a friend who went and I decided to tag along.

2 - The gym I go to is apparently a good one. The owner is a former boxer who has guided quite a few prospects to state golden gloves over his 30+ year career as a coach. He was recently joined by an assistant coach who has been boxing since he was 7 and, while he never had a pro fight, he spent a lot of time criss-crossing northern VA going to gyms and wrecking top prospects in sparring matches.

3 - Since I'm older, have a day job, and know my limitations, I know that I'm never going to make it big as a competitor and instead have devoted a lot of time to learning the technical and mental aspects of the game so I can coach.

4 - With that in mind, I'm well aware that I'm not the most knowledgeable person on the sport and still have a LOT to learn, so anything and everything I say is going to come with the addendum of "but I'm still learning, so I might be wrong."

Pic related, it's a shot of the equipment I personally own. If there are any questions regarding any of it, I'm more than happy to answer them. If there are any requests for videos for technique (within reason), I can try and get those up too.
>>
So i have started training boxing but it's just one class a week.
Are there any drills or forms i can do by myself that would help me learn better/faster?
>>
>>1053319
Oh heck yeah.

For general technique:
-Shadowbox in front of a mirror. I don't mean full on fight the mirror, but take what you've been taught by your coach and work it slowly in front of your mirror. Focus on the advice you've been given and see if you're doing it. It's better right now to be slow and correct (or at least mostly correct) than fast and horribly wrong.

For footwork:
-Practice walking. Do cone drills to improve your general comfort with moving, pivoting, and sliding. If you don't have cones, soda cans work. If you don't have those, find something else small but visible that you can walk/pivot around. Your feet are where all of your power and speed are coming from and you can't punch right if your feet aren't always set.

For conditioning:
-Jump rope like a motherfucker, it will help condition your legs to the light "bounce" you'll need for moving around the ring
-Run/jog - Try and run at least a mile. Break your run up so you have short sprints and longer jog periods.
-Push ups - These will build up your chest and shoulders
-Mountain climbers - Explosiveness in your legs and hips
-Crunches/situps - Core strength
-Duck walks, all the duck walks. - They look and feel stupid, but they will help with your knee bend so much. In your room, just walk forward from wall to wall a few times, then backwards, then "crab walk" sideways. Focus on keeping your butt as low to the ground as possible and your back straight. Rest often if necessary.
>>
>>1053339
thanks for the quick answer
I already have decent conditioning and run 10k in 1 hour quite often, i also do bodyweight training.
What would you say the most important things to get right in the beginning
>>
>>1053352
>>What would you say the most important things to get right in the beginning

Stance and footwork.

In regards to stance:

You should have a comfortable stance that allows you to effectively defend and attack without having to change your stance. Marvin Cook likes to call it the "True Boxers' Stance" and, while there are variations based on personal preference and body type, the general "hands up, elbows in, knees bent, chin down" guidelines apply. Ideally, you should always, always, ALWAYS, return to the TBS after anything you do (defending, punching, moving, slipping, ducking) because it always sets you back up to perform your next action with an ideal start. You should always move from your TBS and work within its boundaries, and so training with that in mind will lay a strong foundation and make you technically sound.

In regards to footwork:

The common idea of boxing is that it's all about the arm/shoulder strength and being able to punch with the arms. That's pretty much the opposite of how it works. The best boxers almost always have masterful footwork.

GGG has phenomenal footwork and is one of the best boxers in the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zwUcKzWKxE

Lomachenko is considered one of, if not, the greatest amateurs of all time and has phenomenal footwork.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d3nbvCNwB8

Footwork, angles, and positioning set up punches. If you're not training them immediately, then you're doing yourself a disservice and learning to attack and defend at bad angles.
>>
>>1053352
>>1053394

To add to both of these things, a good, solid TBS and good, solid footwork will make your punches stronger and quicker.

When I first started boxing I thought I was going to be a slow plodder who had to fight his way inside because I had horrible heavy feet. Because I hated getting hit, I started really focusing on footwork (drills, movement, jump rope, resistance bands, etc) and about six months in my coach told me that my footwork was one of my best attributes. A few months ago he introduced duck walking to my exercise routine and about two weeks ago noticed that I had considerably more snap to all of my punches and I could throw combinations much more rapidly. The major reasons were that I had continued to focus on my footwork, incorporate duck walking as often as I could, and began taking a few short rounds shadowboxing from almost a squat, all in the name of strengthening my legs and incorporating better knee bend.
>>
Good thread, OP
Any reason why you need that many gloves? Wouldn't just one or two good pairs be enough?
>>
Anything I can do on away from a speed ball that can improve my ability on a speed ball?
>>
>>1053726
I'm a horrible, horrible gear whore, which kind of goes hand in hand with my thirst for knowledge about what I love to do. I love testing out and knowing about as many different brands and models as possible so when someone asks me "what do you think of _____?" I can answer with full confidence rather than "Well, I've heard ____." Since the only sporting goods store near me is Dick's, and all they sell is entry-level Everlast stuff, I couldn't exactly sample there. The gym I go to has a LOT of old equipment and hasn't been able to buy new things in a long time because either the state or Golden Gloves (I forget who) stopped sponsoring them a long time ago, and now the owner runs it purely as a non-profit. So, in a search for the right glove (and pure curiosity), I bought shit that tickled my fancy until I settled on a few things.

I really like the CFS Palladium headgear, the Title Ignite gloves, the Title Gel catch mitts, and the black Title shoes, if you're curious.

Also you are right, traditionally you should only need two pairs of gloves. One for sparring (16 oz) and one for everything else (<14 oz)

>>1053731
Speed ball? Do you mean Double end bag or speed bag? Google tells me double end bag.

Unfortunately because of the nature of it, you kind of need to have one to get the rhythm down, same with a speed bag. However, making one is really cheap and relatively easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHT_rCXfotQ

Put a hook screw in the top of a doorway, use something heavy as an anchor, and go to town. I am going to make one myself soon.
>>
>>1053751
>>1053731
Actually, there is one minor thing you can do, but it'll only help so much until you hit the double end bag again:

Work on 1-1-2's, 1-2-duck, and 1-2 slip in as consistent a rhythm as you can. Additionally, on the heavy bag/shadowboxing, work on 1-2-1-2-1-2 etc etc while pushing off of your feet. It will help coordinate your feet to your punches and give you better control over your rhythm, which should help you a bit with the double end bag.
>>
File: 462523363462.jpg (51KB, 650x400px) Image search: [Google]
462523363462.jpg
51KB, 650x400px
>>1053760
Are you the same Wu? You're actually giving good advice. Have you completely given up on kicks?
>>
>>1053769
No. The original Wu freaked out really bad, got mad at everyone who made fun of him, and left. Around that time I was getting confident enough in boxing that I felt I could talk about it intelligently and decided to see what kind of reaction I could get from /asp/ if I pretended to be him, but gave solid boxing advice. Someone guessed that I wasn't the same Wu a few topics ago, so I figured I'd keep the name as a trophy.

At some point I'm going to start posting youtube videos to better illustrate some of the things I'm talking about, so you'll see that I'm definitely not the skinny autistic white kid who threw kicks and punches like it was his first time. I kind of want to edit that gif into my intros for my vids, though.
>>
Does anyone know if punching fast can give you brain damage? Not bragging but I have fast hands and I get headaches from hitting hard
>>
>>1053809
That has more to do with you overexerting yourself and straining too hard. Are you punching with your legs and are you relaxed? If not to those, that's why.

I'll be back in about an hour. Doing some bagwork at home.
>>
>>1053779
You wouldn't happen to have the gif/webm of wu kicking saved would you?
>>
Ok I'm back. Cut short the workout because I went harder on the heavy bag than I had anticipated and I could only get 6 rounds out before my left shoulder flared up on me.

>>1053835
Yeah I do. It's on my phone I think. Gimme a few minutes to change and I'll upload it.
>>
File: 1445248710126.gif (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1445248710126.gif
3MB, 480x360px
>>1053896
I'm going to find a way to make this amusing for my YouTube channel when I finally get that up and going.
>>
>>1053909
Kek, thanks.
>>
>>1052948
the results from blows to the head vary from person to person but i guarantee you it takes more than a few knocks in training and even amateur fights to do permanent damage.
>>
>>1053822
Id say im pretty relaxed, Ive been boxing for a bit. Do you think I could prevent this with volume neck exercises for a thicker neck?
>>
>>1053969
I couldn't really answer you unless I saw your form. The only reasons I could think that you would have headaches would be you're tensing your face too much and/or holding your breath while punching. If you're exhaling and using your feet to hit the mitts, it shouldn't be a problem. Why do you think it's your neck?

Though, if you want neck exercises, there's a few you can do.

-Dumbell shrugs - Take a pair of dumbbells and, with them hanging at your sides, shrug your shoulders.
-Neck bridges
http://davidlasnier.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Neck-Bridge.jpg
and
http://www.leanfunctionalmuscle.com/images/logan-front-bridge.jpg
-Neck weights
http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1156LLXXXXXaaXpXXq6xXFXXXP/Fully-Adjustable-Nylon-font-b-Strap-b-font-Head-Harness-Belt-font-b-Neck-b-font.jpg

Like I said though, unless your form is already ok, then neck exercises probably won't help.
>>
>>1053976
Idk. Maybe its because I sometimes let my hands too loose off a strong jab or cross and my body seems to vibrate off the impact of too much extension, even if I dont hit anything. I certainly dont feel it throwing hooks or uppers
>>
>>1054001
That might be it, if you're overextending, you're putting too much strain on your body.

Marvin Cook has a good point about how far your hip is supposed to travel when you throw both straight punches. You should at most square your hips when you throw your straight and your jab shouldn't require you to leave your True Boxer's Stance.
>>
>>1054020
Hmm, I definitely overload on the jab to compensate for frequent reach disadvantages (manlets when will we learn)
>>
>>1054032
Yeah, that's only going to give the opponent something to exploit. Do you step forward as you jab or do you try and extend it further?

If you extend out, you're leaving yourself wide open for nasty counters. Keep within your stance and don't worry so much about connecting with that first jab. Through a double or triple jab as you move in to set up your right/combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkmBwyfahD0

Marvin Cook does a great job explaining how to throw the jab and straight while maintaining your True Boxer's Stance.
>>
>>1054039
Another of his videos explaining extending the jab and how it hurts your game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx2WyVrxn3A
>>
>>1054039

Really good stuff, I'm not that guy, but I just learned a more proper technique for my jab, which involves timing my step to land at the same time at the punch. Which, to be honest, has increased the power and decreased how much work I have to do, but now I'm back at square one with it. Wouldn't it just be easier to fake the first jab, step in, and THEN throw the real jab?

At least at first, I really don't know much of what I'm talking about.
>>
Is there any benefits of buying gloves labelled as "bag" gloves? Or am I fine to just use use the gloves I use for sparring? New to boxing, coming from Judo
>>
>>1054277
>>has increased the power and decreased how much work I have to do, but now I'm back at square one with it.

How do you mean? It's become ineffective in sparring? It feels awkward and clumsy? You don't know how to chain more punches behind it? It'll become comfortable again and your game will only be better for it.

>>Wouldn't it just be easier to fake the first jab, step in, and THEN throw the real jab?

Being predictable and always doing the same thing is never better. Remember that if someone is going to fight you, they're going to study you and pick up on your "bad" habits. So making your overall skillset as solid as possible is always recommended. On the other side, though, there's more than one type of jab, so you should learn and master the use of as many as possible. Before you even think about that, though, make sure that your textbook jab is rock solid, or else all the other ones are going to be weaker and less effective. Having that solid foundation will only make everything better.
>>
>>1054571
>>1054487
>>Is there any benefits of buying gloves labelled as "bag" gloves? Or am I fine to just use use the gloves I use for sparring?

Yes and kind of. Bag gloves are typically made with denser foam that holds up better to the thousands of punches you're going to throw at a heavy bag/doing other drills. There are also so-called "Training gloves" which are useful for either sparring or everything else. While you CAN use said gloves for both exercises, it's strongly recommended you have one pair for sparring and one pair for general purpose. Hitting the bag tends to compress the foam and expose more of the actual fist over long usage, so it becomes increasingly dangerous for your fists and your sparring partner's head the more worn out they get. If I were you and I was money-conscious, I'd buy a cheapass pair of gloves to use for the bag.

http://www.titleboxing.com/gloves/fitness-boxing-gloves/title-classic-boxing-gloves

These will last you until you have enough money to buy better.
>>
I "was" planning to start out with boxing;got a nevatear heavybag delivered yesterday.
But as it happened,while filling the last row of newspaper rolls in it,I hammerfist a few of them!
Now,today my pinky side wrist aches a lot,needle like pain.I just my gloves today and I cant even startout!
Any help/stretches you can suggest??
>>
>>1054571

What I mean is that right now the jab is completely different than what I was previously doing. What I WAS doing was throwing my hand out, popping my hip, and throwing my shoulder into it a bit too. This guy, who has won national amateur titles, is teaching me a different stance now, which isn't too hard, but now he's teaching me to throw my arm out, and time my step into the jab to land at the same time as the punch, which should be angled downward to help with the punch.

It's actually physically a lot easier, I just don't have it memorized as well as the previous method, so it's been awkward.
>>
>>1054674

Dangit, sorry, same guy again, the thing I'm finding difficult is that instead of "swinging" and popping my hit, it's more of a straight punch slightly downward, so the approach is just odd, and a lot of people that I see don't do it like that, or at least I find if hard to tell.
>>
>>1054677
I'm a little concerned by the angling down part, because if you train to punch low, you'll only punch lower in a match, but otherwise his advice sounds right.
>>
>>1054969

it's by about three or four inches at most, but I'll definitely look into that when I see that guy again. I've been practicing the new method though, and it's already getting better.
>>
Not letting this die
>>
How long would you say is good between a person starting and a person sparring?
>>
>>1059979

light sparring,2-3 months in. full on sparring 6 months-1 year,maybe more.
>>
>>1060041
>>1059979
i started sparring within a month of starting, having no sports background before that
it speeds up your improvement immensly
>>
>>1060041
>>1060117

Both of these answers are appropriate. Depending on how often you go and how your coach views sparring, you should probably start with just jabs until you develop more comfort in the ring. Being in there ans hitting a live target is a lot more exhausting than most people give it credit for. I have a couple of drills that I can elaborate on when I'm not at work
>>
>>1060148

please do.
>>
I'm fighting for the first time this sunday, anyone who's competed before have any advice?
>>
>>1052948
Well lad, simply avoid becoming a heavyweight and fighting heavyweights.

Work on your slipping skills a lot too, remember that you shouldn't get hit, you shall only hit the opponent.
>>
>>1060334
Do your best, focus on your fundamentals, and treat as a means to improve whether you win or lose.
>>
>>1060181
Couple of ways to ease into sparring.

-Jab drills
One person jabs while the other slips, ducks, and generally works defense for 30 seconds to a minute, then the sides switch.
-Jab drills 2
Both sides jab and defend simultaneously
-Straight punches only
No hooks or uppers.
-Outfighting
One partner tries to keep the other away with footwork and jabs while the other tries to work his way in
-Infighting
Both partners work in a smaller area (say a 6 by 6 imaginary square)
-Corner drills
One partner tries to escape a corner while another tries to keep them in the corner by cutting off lanes with footwork and angles

There are obviously a ton more based on what you feel you need to work on, but going through those should help your situational awareness and general comfort in the ring.
>>
>>1053170
Post a video of urself working the heavybag
>>
>>1060960

Do it.

Please.
>>
>>1060960

I actually do have one. I was debating whether or not I should upload it because I'm not particularly proud of it. I keep dropping my left and my range/handspeed is off. I'll go ahead and upload it later tonight and take whatever criticisms you guys have!
>>
>>1061490
Ok here you go. I used my cell phone and had to place it pretty far back to get the full body since I wanted to focus on my footwork and range.

https://youtu.be/an7PT81G0Y0

I watched it and realized that my knee bend is not as good as I want, my left isn't up enough, and my range-finding with my jab is bad. Any other comments and criticisms would be great.
>>
File: 6373636346346.jpg (58KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
6373636346346.jpg
58KB, 400x400px
>>1061584
It looks good, and definitely better than most of /asp/ will ever be able to do.

I've only done bag work with these, so what it looks like to me is that you're just hitting the bag and not penetrating enough. I'm not sure about your guard, I touch my temples so that I can block my head more efficiently.

I only have my BOB right now, but I'll make a video sometime. What are you opinions on free standing bags?
>>
File: 10irj3.jpg (66KB, 648x364px) Image search: [Google]
10irj3.jpg
66KB, 648x364px
>>1061584
You should step in and then step out for your punches, standing there and weaving is somewhat lazy bag punching. Other then that it looks decent.
>>
>>1061773
>>so what it looks like to me is that you're just hitting the bag and not penetrating enough.

I may not be. A thing to take note of though is that bag is over 100 pounds and is pretty much touching the floor. Additionally, while my coach wants us to have punching power, he's more worried about speed and accuracy and stresses "it's the punch they don't see that knocks them out." I do know, however, that everyone I've sparred regardless of skill level (novice to open-class amateur) has said that I punch hard.

>>I'm not sure about your guard, I touch my temples so that I can block my head more efficiently.
Basically there's no reason my fist should go below my shoulder and no reason I should have it at my waist. Unless I'm fantastic defensively and have great instincts (I'm not and I do not), all I'm doing is inviting the jab, something that happened a lot last night in a sparring session.

>>1061854
>>You should step in and then step out for your punches, standing there and weaving is somewhat lazy bag punching

I've been taught that going straight in and out is really bad and invites a counter-straight, but you're right in that I do tend to stand in one place too long. My coach is big on teaching us to move laterally to create angles rather than straight in and out, so I usually try not to do that. Though I definitely spent a lot more time standing still than I wanted to.
>>
File: muay-thai-gloves-uk.jpg (139KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
muay-thai-gloves-uk.jpg
139KB, 800x800px
Are Windy gloves any good?
>>
>>1062072
So yeah last night I decided I wanted to see where I was because I haven't sparred in a while (shoulder injury, foot injury, illness, etc) and he put me in the ring against two amateurs that have had over ten fights each, both of which have around 10 years experience (started at 11, are now over 20).

After they summarily beat the shit out of me (I took three body shots to the bread basket and went down against the second), I was told that I'm "in" and both the coach and them are going to start treating me as a competitor instead of as a hobbyist. They told me that they were supposed to take it easy on me and gauge where I was for the coach, but had to go full on because I was catching them with too many hard punches (hence the proceeding beatdown). They both said that I'm more than ready for novice amateur, though I obviously had things to work on (exposed the body too much, squared up a lot).

I'm pretty stoked because when I first came to the gym last year they were sparring and I was terrified, thinking "I'll never get to where they are," but I've gotten to a point where they couldn't treat me with kid gloves and had to fight me seriously. I think that's a pretty big step up from an overweight school teacher who spent most of his life a nerd and not an athlete. Though like I said, it showed I've still got a lot to learn and that I'm still pretty low on the totem pole.
>>
>>1062074
From what I understand Windy is one of the better Muay Thai brands and MT gloves are very compatible with boxing.
>>
>>1062077
Thanks, it's reassuring since not many people know about Windy and usually only go for brands like Fairtex and Twins.
>>
>>1062080
http://boxingglovesreviews.com/windy-muay-thai-boxing-gloves-review/

It's only one guy, but his points probably stand no matter what:
Great padding, great leather, great wrist support

http://bestboxingglovesguide.com/windy-thai-sparring-gloves-review/

Claims that while everything about them is pretty good, the leather is subpar and thin

http://www.boxingforum.com/boxing-equipment-reviews/11305-review-windy-gloves-thai-market-16oz.html

This one says that he didn't like the cuff and they REALLY need to be broken in, but everything else is great.
>>
What breathing techniques do you guys like to use during bagwork/sparring? When I find myself breathing erratically during sparring I like to distance myself from my partner for a short while and breathe in deep for 3 seconds and breathe out slowly for another 3 seconds. I find this helps me catch my breath and stops me gassing out for a while longer.
>>
>>1054487
>"bag" gloves
If you like wasting your money for no reason, sure go ahead.
>>
>>1062097
I don't get it, learning how to breathe is one of the very first things you learn when you're boxing.
>>
>>1062246
Why is buying a separate pair of gloves for bag work wasting your money?

>>1062250
You would hope so, but unfortunately a lot of gyms don't teach it well. Additionally, sparring is pretty jarring the first few times and your body may forget thinges that you thought were natural.
>>
File: 1445734838897.jpg (82KB, 465x600px) Image search: [Google]
1445734838897.jpg
82KB, 465x600px
>>1061584

Your right foot isn't at a sharp enough angle, always try to aim for 45 degrees as opposed to the 90 that you're doing. You also get really flat footed with the bag, you should focus on moving WITH the bag to keep at a good angle WHILE punching with it. Also, keep your left shoulder up, you're great at punching and keeping your chin down as far as I can see, but at your regular stance you need to work on your left shoulder and your right foot.

Otherwise, you're better than I am.
>>
>>1062406

Actually, even with that advice, you're doing better, because those are things that I do myself even worse.
>>
>>1062406
Those ae definitely things my coach has gotten on me about. I'm really duck footed and I take the 90 degree stance on accident. I didn't even notice the flat-footed thing. Thanks!
>>
>>1062418
like I said, sorry, I do a lot of that myself, I don't know if I'm using flat footed thing correctly, but it looked a bit like sometimes like the bag was in front of your chest as opposed to your shoulder, which I've been told is bad. But yeah, try to always get a good angle on your bag, and it should get easier in the ring too, but never back up straight back, take two steps back and to one side, then jab and pick a side to move too.

Again, this ist stuff that's being drilled into me.
>>
>>1062430
Yeah you're right, it's that I'm squaring my hips which is BAAAAD. I found that out the hard way last night when the twins made it their mission to punch a hole through my bread basket.

Also please don't feel bad for giving me good advice. Just because you also are working on it doesn't make it any less correct!
>>
>>1062461

I actually just apologize profusely for no reason, it translates into french and chinese too, as well as the internet. I think I picked it up from my mother.

That said, perhaps in a week or so I could try to put something up on my end too, to get a sort of community thing going. I'm in between a LOT of stuff though, including a phone, so it might be a bit before I can do a video, like maybe a week. I'll see if I can come in when lessons are done sometime and just do a couple minutes of bagwork.
>>
Why do my elbows hurt after I shadowbox?
>>
>>1061584
When youre resting inbetween combos, try to keep your rhythm by staying in striking distance and keep bouncing on your toes, because its really predictable on when youre going to strike next mby stoping and reseting your stance/guard. Yes it will be more tiring but it will be much more difficult for your opponent to read when you will strike next
>>
>>1063244
I'll definitely work on that. As I understand it, though, staying within striking distance is a big no-no because it leaves you in place to be countered and hit while resting.

What I was going for was doing one of four things:

1 - Striking
2 - Head movement
3 - Moving to a new angle
4 - Sliding out the side door

I definitely do need to keep working on not resetting after a combo, though. I do that because I have some kind of pinched nerve in my left shoulder that is slowly getting better and every time I finish a combo, my left is naturally hanging low, which is bad. So I take a second, reset, and get back to it.
>>
Finally got an adequate video after three rounds.
>tfw no tripod and things kept going wrong
It's taking a long time to upload so I'll try to post it in the morning. I'm planning on shooting another after I get some sparring in on Saturday because I still see some big holes in my guard.

Don't let this thread die.
>>
How do you find a boxing gym if you have never done it?

I've done google searches and all I can find is really serious gyms or places that run boxfit
>>
>>1063787
I'd chose really serious places over Boxfit any day, even if all I really want in the first place is just to spar.
>>
File: 10itle.jpg (86KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
10itle.jpg
86KB, 427x640px
>>1062075
Good job, cool story, be sure to film the fight for us to see! Also you're old? You look like you're 19 lol.
>>
File: 10irfb.jpg (45KB, 580x327px) Image search: [Google]
10irfb.jpg
45KB, 580x327px
>>1063197
>Why do my elbows hurt after I shadowbox?
Perhaps you're fully locking your elbow when you're throwing punches. So, don't lock your elbows :)
>>
File: 10ith2.jpg (37KB, 293x400px) Image search: [Google]
10ith2.jpg
37KB, 293x400px
>>1063800
It helps if the trainer is a ex champ

It helps if the trainer trained student to become champs

Be sure you can spar

Look at the class - is it house wives and little kids? Then stay out.

Pick the serious gym over the box fit.
>>
>>1063787

ExpertBoxing and ArtofManliness actually have this one pretty well covered:

http://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-basics/boxing-gyms/how-to-find-a-good-boxing-gym
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/11/18/amateur-boxing-for-beginners-a-how-to-guide-part-i/
http://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-training/mental-training/4-traits-of-the-best-teachers

>>1063816
I'm 28. It's the curse of being Asian. I have a picture from middle school and I look exactly the same.

>>1063197
>>Why do my elbows hurt after I shadowbox?

As >>1063818 said, you're most likely overextending and locking your elbows without much control. Your punches should feel comfortable and within your stance.
>>
>>1063996
>>1063800
Have you trained before at all? If not please don't go in with that mindset. So-called "tough guys" come in all the time who have never been to a boxing gym before and immediately want to spar. They usually get their shit punched him. We had this one guy, big 6'3 250 pound guy, who came in and trained for about a month. Even though it was pretty early in my time there I could see he was bad. Apparently he decided he needed to spar our head coach and demanded to do so (former Golden Gloves and pro). The head coach kept trying to talk him out of it but he insisted, so he got in the ring with him, hit him with a light left hook, and watched the guy do a spin and fall flat on his back.

We've got another guy who annoys the shit out of me. I don't know if they're legitimate or not but he seems to have some kind of emotional/anger issues that he wants to take out in the ring and he strongly identifies with pre-Reform Billy Hope from "Southpaw." He usually does one or two half-assed shadowboxing rounds and two or three heavy bag rounds where he just whales (badly) on the bag. Then he wants to spar. For a while me and a friend humored him, but he's remained so bad and we've gotten so much better that we really can't spar him any more without hurting him. We finally put a kibosh on it when my girlfriend knocked his mouthguard out. He still comes around, acts like he's a tough guy, and half-asses his workouts, but he doesn't ask to spar as much.
>>
Just made a thread about it is swapping from orthodox to southpaw ok if you're comfortable
>>
>>1064011
If you're a natural switch hitter, you need to find someone knowledgeable enough to train you to enhance your strengths.
>>
>>1063996

Can confirm the asian thing, I just spent five months teaching students two years younger than I am in China, and christ they looked like they were twelve sometimes.
>>
Stupid question, do you wear underwear under your fighting shorts? I'm fighting for the first time this weekend and need to wear a cup, I've never worn one before so I don't know if you need underwear for it to stay in place
>>
>>1065004
Some people use their cup strap to replace their underwear.
Some people wear that over their underwear.
>>
>>1065041
at my local sports shop the cups they sell don't even have a strap so i'm guessing i might need some tightish underwear for it?
>>
>>1052948
You'll only get that way if you do ammy/pro boxing for years and are also so shit that you can't slip anything.
>>
>>1065124
Mayweather's a great example of a boxer that's taken very little punishment throughout his career due to his style, and will probably never suffer CTE.

Not that we'd ever be able to tell, the mongloid little cocksucker's half retarded already, but he's a great defensive boxer, that we can never take from him.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rShtgtPj1w0

Here's my third round that captured okay. I didn't have a proper mount yet, so sorry for the shifting angling and focus. I tried to film as far back as possible, but I might invest in one of those clip on wide lenses.

My biggest known problems right now are keeping my feet under me and my footwork. Both my sciatica nerves are constantly numb and I am still undergoing physical therapy to try and fix them, but I can still work an improve on my movement. I also come from a different teaching where you try to keep your hips square with the opponent to you can deliver more power into punches as well protect the back.
>>
File: 10iraq.jpg (116KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
10iraq.jpg
116KB, 1000x500px
>>1065344
Use your hips and turn your shoulders more into your punches, your punching power will be 110 percent, right now you're using 40 percent power.

Bring your hands back to the reset position instead of dropping your guard low.

Keep up the good work.
>>
>tfw no boxing near me
Shit, I've even got catch wrestling and sambo within driving distance of my house.
>>
>>1065496
>>1065496
really how does that even happen cause both catch and sambo are pretty rare

the sambo place might be able to teach you some striking though
>>
>>1065470
Why do you keep posting these Facebook guy macros? Did you make them yourself? Are you bitter about something? Do you have autism?
>>
>>1065499
I've got no idea how it happened, I live in America so both of those are pretty much nonexistant. The catch place teaches muay thai and there's a hybrid MT/BJJ school near me as well, so I'll probably just go to one of them.

Could I still get into amateur boxing if I'm learning at a muay thai place or would my only option be ammy MMA?
>>
>>1065524
Muay Thai guy here, at least where I train, everybody is pretty proficient in boxing. Let the trainers know you want to focus on your handwork and I'm sure you'll get a great amateur boxing base. Getting your conditioning and learning to take a hit is half the battle anyway so go with that! Plus, MT is super fun, the moment you land a kick with perfect form is addictive so try it out.
>>
Whoops, never answered this question

>>What are you opinions on free standing bags?

I think they're ok and have their purpose, but they never have a solid enough base and wobble around too much for my liking.

>>1065344
>I also come from a different teaching where you try to keep your hips square with the opponent to you can deliver more power into punches as well protect the back.

First of all, great video. It takes a lot of courage to expose yourself online like that.

I'll be honest, but I'm not sure if you come from a boxing background, so I'm going to critique this based on you wanting tips to make your style/punching more boxing-accurate.

One thing that should help a lot is if you bend your knees a lot more when you throw to the body and keep your back straight. Every time you lean forward you're overextending and leaving yourself susceptible to a counter.

You should also stop dropping your hands when you punch. I'm about a minute and a half in and I see you drop your other hand down to about chest level almost every time you throw. That's a bad habit and it leaves you open to a counter. My coach is very keen on just throwing a hook or a right over a hand if he sees us get sloppy like that.

At about 1:40 in you start REALLY rearing your hands back. Don't do that. It doesn't generate any more power and makes you telegraph your shots more while also opening upr your defense. Your punches should be coming from your legs, not from your arms/shoulders.

Turn your punches over. Your thumbs should almost be upside down when you finish a punch. That gives it a lot more snap and allows it to return quicker.

On that note, return your punches quicker (which is again accomplished with your feet). Leaving them out there exposes you and allows for counterpunching.

Keep your hands still. if you're all over the place, then your defense is not solid and neither are your punches. You should almost be like a trap tensed and ready to spring when you punch.
>>
>>1065679
>>1065344
>I also come from a different teaching where you try to keep your hips square with the opponent to you can deliver more power into punches as well protect the back.

I don't know who's teaching you this but from a boxing perspective this is very, very wrong. Your back is already a foul zone and shots there are illegal anyways, so unless you're doing it to protect your damaged nerves, it's not good.

Squaring up actually diminishes the power you can throw your punches with because you can't develop the motion of the strong hand and because of that, your lead hand now has no reciprocal motion to work off of. Additionally, you're severely limiting your range while exposing a LOT more of your body for shots. I can make a video tomorrow explaining what I mean with this and the sparring match I had with the Twins (the two with a decade's experience each) also drives that point home. Because I got tired quickly, I ended up squared up a LOT and they simply UNLOADED on my now-very-large-target of a stomach. If I need to, I'll post that sparring match so you can get a very real example of why being squared up is a bad idea.

Additionally, your head is even more exposed because there's now no longer a safe angle created by your lead hand and shoulder. If you try and slip back, you end up leaning back instead of doing a proper slip which again overextends you and leaves you really vulnerable to counter punches.

Long story short: You should always throw with the knowledge that a real opponent is going to throw back immediately, so you should have your defense ready right as your offense finishes.
>>
>>1065559
This guy here again...

>>1065694
Square on in stance is actually very good for power, you just have to twist with each punch. From a Muay Thai perspective we punch like this also, but I guess it's mostly so we can throw kicks, knees as well.

>>1065344
As for you, remember to step into punches and twist with your hips. Bring your punches straight back to your head and keep your hands up, I understand you're not throwing full power punches but still practice perfect form and try up your power a little. If you have your hands at your body whilst throwing punches, any trained fighter will decimate you. >pic related

I'll keep monitoring this thread so ask a Muay Thai guy anything, same as OP I'm not a pro fighter but I know enough to help out some beginners.
>>
>>1065679
>>1065694
Thanks for the response. I study kempo kung fu, so we train with a self defense and sanda perspective.

I saw that I was leaning way too much and that my punches weren't fully rotating. I also realized that I completely forgot to engage my hips behind my punches. I may record another round Friday or just wait until Saturday so I can get some sparring time in first.

>>1065746
I'm really working on my guard as I haven't been sparring until recently again. Thanks for the pointers.
>>
>>1065769
No worries man, make sure your punches are sharp and snappy, should go out and come straight back in, work on getting back to full guard before sending the second shot in, you'll eventually develop the speed so don't worry too much about it for right now. What style are you training in? Doesn't look like orthodox boxing to me.
>>
>>1065769
OK yeah that's a completely different art with completely different emphasis that I have no basis to criticize from. Obviously some of the boxing rhetoric won't be compatible since you have different things you have to worry about in kempo!
>>
>>1065783
>>1065769
Just read your shit properly, ignore my question on style. Keep in mind all pointers you get here will be related to other styles man, don't know anything at all about Kempo myself so it's hard to give pointers.
>>
>>1065783
>>1065784
I am coming to this thread in the mindset of boxing and apologize for the confusion. I only plan on posting about the use of fists and arms in a purely striking methodology. Regular sparring at my school consists of "kickboxing" rules and getting a better understanding of boxing will greatly help me.

I'll probably start my own thread for kung fu, but I just needed some validation.
>>
File: 1441638168271.png (85KB, 995x873px) Image search: [Google]
1441638168271.png
85KB, 995x873px
>>1065845
>or would it have to be cmma?
>>
I've been living the neet life for 4-5 years now and I've grown tired of being a weak skeleton, I want to fufill my childhood dream of actually intoing boxing, What kind of workouts/lifting should I do to make my body capable of not turning into dust with 3 gold in, and how can I tell a good gym from a shit gym?
P.S. I'm a giant autismo so if you have any advice on how to talk to people in a gym setting without looking like a retard that would be nice
>>
>>1065884
I'm literally a sperg, and whenever I spent long periods of time without human contact I would go out to buy groceries or fast food and force myself to make small talk with cashiers. As long as you don't spaghetti too hard they won't even remember you when you go back, though staggering your visits so there's new people each time might work as well.
>>
>>1065884
Bodyweight exercises, mang.
I'm guessing you'd have to work your way up to doing 5 pushups.

>>1065920
>I'm literally a sperg
You make spergs look bad. It's like you don't even have Asperger's.
>>
>>1065845
Ok, if that's the case then I can definitely help you.

I'm also getting a better understanding of why you said I'm not penetrating enough back in >>1061773.

Boxing has a very different methodology than most TMAs when it comes to striking. Everything I've learned from Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Kung Fu etc when I did those was "punch through, not at" which while correct was almost always poorly explained.

Sure, I need to make sure I penetrate, but what's far more important in the early stages is making sure you're relaxed and have fast hands that return to your guard quickly which, in turn, make the punches look "lighter." I've been told by everyone I've sparred against, from newbies to those 10-year veterans that beat me up, that I hit really, really hard. On top of that, the bag I was hitting is a 100 pound leather heavy bag that basically scrapes the floor, so there's no room for movement. I don't know what kind of bags you have at your school or which ones you use besides the BOB you use, but the main reason I don't like those things is that if I hit them half as hard as I hit my heavy bag, I knocked them over. We have one at our gym that kind of sits in the corner and it's full of water but the damn thing still can't stay upright. In the video I was more worried about my form, hand speed, movement, etc. If you want I can post a much sloppier video of me hitting it full strength to give you an idea.

I think I'm going to do a series of videos that help with boxing basics, showing some comparisons of good form vs common mistakes, bad form, and practical application of why it's bad.
>>
>>1066146
>>1065884
>>I've been living the neet life for 4-5 years now and I've grown tired of being a weak skeleton, I want to fufill my childhood dream of actually intoing boxing, What kind of workouts/lifting should I do to make my body capable of not turning into dust with 3 gold in,

Going to refer back to >>1053339 for this:

"For conditioning:
-Jump rope like a motherfucker, it will help condition your legs to the light "bounce" you'll need for moving around the ring
-Run/jog - Try and run at least a mile. Break your run up so you have short sprints and longer jog periods.
-Push ups - These will build up your chest and shoulders
-Mountain climbers - Explosiveness in your legs and hips
-Crunches/situps - Core strength
-Duck walks, all the duck walks. - They look and feel stupid, but they will help with your knee bend so much. In your room, just walk forward from wall to wall a few times, then backwards, then "crab walk" sideways. Focus on keeping your butt as low to the ground as possible and your back straight. Rest often if necessary."

Don't worry if you can't do a lot when you start. The only way to do more is do start and keep going. Add another set every week.

>>and how can I tell a good gym from a shit gym?

Going back to >>1063996 for this:

http://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-basics/boxing-gyms/how-to-find-a-good-boxing-gym
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/11/18/amateur-boxing-for-beginners-a-how-to-guide-part-i/
http://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-training/mental-training/4-traits-of-the-best-teachers

TL:DR - Good gyms have competitors who are training to compete, have success in competition, and trainers who are engaged with their fighters and care about their well-being and safety.
>>
>>1066146
>>1066147
Long response this morning!

>>I'm a giant autismo so if you have any advice on how to talk to people in a gym setting without looking like a retard that would be nice

Be polite, be friendly, be courteous. Don't try and impress them with words. Work and continue working. Ask questions, accept their answers, and work on any advice they give you. When I got there I was a quiet Asian guy that works as a school teacher that apparently neither coach thought would last. Now they're helping me train to compete and use me as an example for form because apparently my form is very clean. I didn't get there by talking about how great I'm going to be and trying to make conversation or sound cool. I went in, put my head down, trained, took advice, and trained more. My validation and "acceptance" came when others realized they could talk to me, give me advice, and that I worked my ass off while I'm there.

Aftofmanliness actually said it best in http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/12/02/amateur-boxing-for-beginners-a-how-to-guide-part-ii/

>>Talk less and work more – There is not a coach or serious athlete anywhere that won’t respect a guy, especially a new guy, for his willingness to work hard without making a scene.

>>Don’t make excuses – After a particularly brutal sparring session where a guy gets countered non-stop with straight right hands after being lazy about bringing his jab back, you might hear, “Yeah, in taekwondo (or whatever), we keep our hands down.” That is a wonderful and exciting bit of trivia, but in boxing, you are going to get knocked cold for that kind of habit. Other, more obvious excuses include the common ones, revolving around being tired, being injured, being sick, not getting enough sleep, etc. Nobody anywhere likes listening to this kind of stuff, so help yourself out and avoid it.
>>
>>1066147
One last thing in regards to >>1065884

The best thing to do is to just go in. Your body is never going to be ready for boxing, no matter what you do to it, because of the nature of training. If your coach has any sense, he will know your limitations and help you build a simple routine that will get you into boxing shape. So go ahead and start working out by yourself, but be prepared to be gassed and feel foolish regardless of how much you train before hand and don't let that initial nervousness stop you.
>>
>>1066149

dear god this one. When I was still in school I tried to practice some bodyweight exercises so I wouldn't embarrass myself in the gym with a bunch of fit people. Then I got to the gym, and totally sucked at it anyways and the exercises did nothing to help, and nobody gave a shit. You know why nobody gave a shit? Because everyone there is trying to improve themselves, not to break somebody else down, so when you're doing shitty, they'd just say "it's all good, it takes a few months just to physically build up to the routine." If something is wrong about your technique, they'll let you know what's up. I've been for a few weeks now. There aren't really any jerks there, just some people keep to themselves more than others.

At first, I was surprised, but now that I think about it, it makes sense for a good gym to be welcoming. If they decided to be elitist about fighting and laughed everybody out that didn't fight so well or wasn't too in shape, not only would they be missing out on business, but they'd also be missing out on future sparring partners, this reduces the skillset of the current base, making weaker boxers. They're really only hurting themselves in the end. Coming from a music scene that was full of shitty people and elitists full of their own shit, it's still pleasantly surprising - and humbling.
>>
Bump. I'm debating whether or not I want to post some introductory stuff (the true boxers stance, movement, pivoting, the jab, moving with the jab, etc) through the YouTube channel. No one's asked yet, but I want to.
>>
>>1066749
just do it
>>
>>1066749
Sometimes you have to ask "will I bring something new to the currently available information ?". The amount spent making good quality video isn't usually worth it if you do textbook ,overdone videos about basics in boxing. If you feel you have something to bring ,then please do so but otherwise it might not be valuable enough.
What may be interesting would be discussions/synthesis from people of a different background analysis about the current scene in boxing/MMA if you're motivated enough. Seems to me you're a rather inexperienced but knowledgeable and passionate practitioner. Use this at your advantage to make a difference.

>>1066347
That is so much true. After spending a year in a gym ,i joined a savate gym (because France fuck yeah) and I never felt such a tiring experience for the first month. Nothing can prepare you to it but savate training. When I went to boxing classes because I discovered i was a pretty at ease puncher i took a shock at how tough training was.
There is no use in "preparing for boxing classes" because the pace is just too specific. In any case you'll be wrecked at the end for the first month but the human body is amazing and will accustom to it quickly.
>tfw the coach made you spent 30 minutes doing slips because you sucked so much at it
Nothing prepares you for that
>>
How do I into hand wraps?
>>
>>1067248
How do you put them on or which ones should you buy?
>>
>>1067248
>>1067253
Nevermind, I'll just answer both.

Everlasts are an ok start point if you don't have any other option, but their velcro is crap and deteriorates really quickly. I've already expressed many times that I love Title and swear by them and it holds true here. Their 180" (which you want, 108" isn't enough) is solid, thick, and has a broad velcro strap.

There are many ways to put them on, but in general you want to make sure your wrist, knuckles, and individual fingers are supported.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kgVnNAHLLM

I used that method for years until I more recently found this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDL-2VeEtqg
>>
>>1067276
Are Century decent?
>>
>>1067308
Not really. Century makes mediocre budget equipment. I typically don't trust their stuff. If you already have it, just go ahead and use it. If you don't, but something better.
>>
Does anyone know of any good gyms in Pittsburgh? I have competitive experience (about 3 or 4 years) but I haven't fought for the past ~2 due to the fact that my uni's team was a fucking joke compared to amateur.
>>
>>1066146
>We have one at our gym that kind of sits in the corner and it's full of water but the damn thing still can't stay upright.
Sand, nigga.
>>
File: 1448420321963.jpg (42KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1448420321963.jpg
42KB, 480x360px
Does anybody know any good stretching exercises that might help with flexibility?
>>
>>1067830
Where do you feel you lack mobility the most ? Lower back ? your glutes ? Hips ?
Kinda vague
>>
>>1067917
I think my shoulders and upper body are pretty great, the whole lower body in general could use a bit of a stretch. Lower back couldn't hurt either, on thursday I was a bit stiff down there after the gym on wednesday.
>>
>>1068136
Literally any and all of these
>>
>>1068136
Yeah what >>1068218 posted is pretty standard and works well.
What do you want increase flexibility for ? If it's for kicking a lot of mobility problems actually comes from technique
>>
>>1068227

no kicking, standard boxing, I just figure a few exercises to do on the days in between monday wednesday and friday when I go to the gym really couldn't hurt.
>>
>>1068800
Deep squats and the leg stretches above should help.

Also, duck walk, a lot.
>>
>>1067276
I just started boxing 2 weeks ago and I was wrapping them using the thumb loop at first, but I felt like I had a lot of the wraps in my palm taking up space and not really doing anything.

I tried folding up the wraps first to make the knuckle pad, but I found there was a big height discrepancy between the amount of cloth over my knuckles and on the rest of my hand, so it proved rather difficult to wrap them.

I think I found the "sweet spot" when it comes to number of rolls to make the pad for the 2nd wrapping method, but I still feel it's not as secure as the first method. Although, it does keep cloth from bunching up in my palms, which is more than welcome. Any tips, though?
>>
What do you guys think about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH090NSWlnY
>>
>>1070525
A lot of back and forth, almost no use of angles, and arm "punches." *shrugs*
>>
>>1070716

>Modern codified savate provides for three levels of competition: assault, pre-combat and combat. Assault requires the competitors to focus on their technique while still making contact; referees assign penalties for the use of excessive force.
>the kicks and slaps were used on land to avoid the legal penalties for using a closed fist, which was considered a deadly weapon under the law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savate
>>
I recently started boxing and my coach hasn't talked about breathing at all. From what I can gather, rhythmic breathing and exhaling when you throw punches seems to be the common practice, but I don't fully understand the reasoning, much less how, when and why I should be doing it. Could anyone explain this a bit and teach me some good habits to practice in this regard?
>>
>>1071038
>why I should be doing it.
A lot of people don't understand why they should be doing things, if it's even beneficial in the first place.
With martial arts, it's sometimes ridiculous how much people repeat what other people told them, all while not considering why it is, and whether it's even worth it/good.
>>
>>1069308
Nice use of vocabulary and posing structure, mate.

>any tips
No.
What do you mean by "bunching up in my palms?"
>>
File: 2016-03-13_14-58-37.jpg (209KB, 1000x889px) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-13_14-58-37.jpg
209KB, 1000x889px
>>1071310
Thanks.

To wrap my knuckles adequately using the first method, I have to go around the palm a few extra times and end up having a lot of wasted cloth there which makes it a little difficult to form a tight fist and is generally a bit uncomfortable.

Using the second method, I can pad my knuckles better without bloating the amount of cloth used on my palms, and I can use that extra cloth to brace my wrist a little more.

I think I just need to work on my wrapping technique a little more to keep it secure, because I feel it's a little lose and prone to slipping off if I use the padding method.
>>
>>1071038
Sharp "tss" exhales while punching.

It tightens the core muscles, relaxes the arm, and regulatea your breathing because you're forcing yourself to exhale in a situation where most people forget when they first get into boxing.

>>1070945
Ok, at first glance it still looks like bad boxing technique and this IS a boxing general being "led" by a guy whose primary area of expertise is boxing. I don't know much about savate and appreciate the input and new knowledge, though!

>>1071447

If they're slipping off, it's not tight enough. You should wrap them firmly with your fingers stretched out to prevent over-compression. When you clench your fist you should feel them tighten on your hand and "lock down" for lack of a better phrase. If you don't, they're too loose.
>>
>>1071038
Don't listen to >>1071497
Wing ding ching chong over here has clearly never watched a boxing movie, let alone been in a ring.

The key is to keep your mouth as full as you can with spit. That way slow-mo replays of you getting your shit pushed in are gonna be HELLA tight.
>>
File: 1381674885054.jpg (46KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1381674885054.jpg
46KB, 1000x1000px
>>1070945
What does that have to do with the retarded slap fu they were doing ?
If you read that better you'd understand that kicks were the primary focus.
It's like saying punches are important in TKD because they have one or 2 allowed slaps.

>>1071497
Savate is awesome. It's a very fast and technical sport. A lot of focus on combo with a lot of movements to create angle. It's due to the rule that kicks must touch with the foot and you must have your leg fully extended so distance is a very important concept.
Also shoes ,so you can hit with the tip in the liver or the solar plexus. Average punching is pretty good too. Evades are rarely in but that's because it has and the distance is greater than in Boxing
>>
>>1071772
Okay, I'll take the b8.

>What does that have to do with the retarded slap fu they were doing?
They were working on their hands.

>It's like saying punches are important in TKD because they have one or two allowed slaps
Savate is actual Kickboxing, unlike TKD which is kicking fighting with only "strong" punches allowed even though they don't really reach punching technique that much.
>>
Bumping. I'm waiting for a coaches certification class to start. You have to take an online course that is essentially two hours of "Don't sex up the athletes."
>>
>>1052723
So I'm thinking about trying a free week with some of my friends at a boxing gym,

Is there anything I need to know or do to get prepared? I life 1-2 times a week and do some light cycling
>>
File: thebattle.png (771KB, 500x394px) Image search: [Google]
thebattle.png
771KB, 500x394px
>>1072115
At least that's clear now. Nah, just kidding, good thread man, and best of luck.
>>
>>1073124
>I life 1-2 times a week and do some light cycling
Maybe you should bump up the cycling some more before you go so you develop better cardio to be able to get the most out of your free week without gassing out.
>>
>>1073124

if you're fine with gloves that other people have sweat in, use the house gloves. I'd, personally, at least buy a pair of wraps - they're not expensive and that's what REALLY soaks up the sweat.

Also, don't be a dick, just listen, do what you're supposed to, and try to keep questions until after or something.
>>
>>1073212
How many miles should I be doing and at what speed? I normally bike 2.3 km to and from the gym.

>>1073219
Totally fine with whatever they have, although I think it's bring your own gloves
>>
>>1073124
If the gym is any good, you'll most likely be pretty tired, regardless of your physical fitness.

Be receptive and as >>1073219 said, do what the coach tells you. Ask questions to clarify for technique if you're confused, but only if they're necessary.

Buy a pair of cheap wraps. If you need to bring your own gloves, buy a cheap pair of Title's from their website.

http://www.titleboxing.com/gloves/fitness-boxing-gloves/title-classic-boxing-gloves

Even with shipping they're still about $10 cheaper (and far better) than Everlast's intro level gloves.
>>
>>1073280
Will do, thanks!
>>
>>1073124
Nothing will really prepare you to be frank. Especially your lead hand's shoulder will be ravaged. Lifting don't prepare you for the hundreds of jabsyou'll do anyway.
Embrace the pain. It is a good pain.
>>
Novice here, most of my sessions so far have been pretty fitness/"boxercise" based, so I hung back today to have a go at the bag a little. Felt great, it was heaps of fun. I feel like I can improve a lot just by hitting the bag, because I know I'm doing it wrong when it hurts and adjust accordingly.

I actually tore a bit of skin on my knuckles despite having both wraps and gloves on. Not sure whether that's to do with bad form, bad wrapping, sweating or a combination of those and other things, but hopefully I can keep it from happening in the future.
>>
>>1073242

If It's BYO, just get the titles, they seem to come pretty well recommended.
>>
Just a thought, should we start up a copypasta with some links so that we can just keep starting up more boxing general threads?
>>
Are there any 5/5 boxing channels on youtube?
>>
>>1074407
Not a bad idea. I've got a ton for recommended equipment and some basics. I'll see if I can get something together tonight or tomorrow.

>>1074472
JT Van V for technique
ExpertBoxing for beginners
Marvin Cook for footwork/strategy
Lee Wylie for film study.
>>
>>1073124
More cardio, be able to do 100+ pushups.
>>
>>1074672
>ExpertBoxing for beginners
Eh.
>>
>>1074775
That's not too bad for my joints right?
>>
>>1053170
I noticed those everlast MMA gloves.
I looked at a pair because they were so cheap, the fist padding isn't nearly as thick and protective as other cheap MMA gloves.

What do you use those MMA gloves for?
>>
>>1074983
Each punch is kind of like a push-up?
Maybe that's why Boxers often develop arm and shoulder related problems and injuries.
>>
>>1074801
I don't necessarily agree with everything he puts forth, but generally his beginner tips and videos are pretty good.

>>1075008
They were given to me by a friend who wanted a pair of grappling gloves. He never used them and when he traveled to Japan he gave them to me. I think they're booty.
>>
>>1075923

honestly if they're good they're good. I mean, I wouldn't take it to a boxing match, but if you're doing MMA on the side or some bagwork I don't see how they'd be bad at the same time.

I honestly hate getting thirsty in the gym and having to open a bottle of water. Of course, I hate not having water in the first place even more.
>>
>>1077225
Eh, I don't like them much. I've used them on the double-end bag and heavy bag and they don't feel right to me. I don't have any real experience in mma, so I can't comment on how good they are compared to other mma gloves.
>>
>>1077410

I should also ask: Are boxing specific shoes a thing? I mean, are they much better than an ordinary running shoe for the purpose? Just curious as to whether it might make for a big bonus or not.
>>
>>1077516
They have a lower heel and the grip is different. It allows you to slide and pivot with less weight. I'll be honest, I have a pair of basketball shoes that work just fine. I also have a pair of running shoes that feel like absolute shit in the ring. I think the boxing shoes are useful to have if you plan on competing (I do), but otherwise it's kind of a push.
>>
>>1077632
>>1077632
>>1077632
they also rip and tear canvas, so please don't box in a ring with basketball shoes or sneakers pretty sure your coaches won't be to happy with redoing the canvas after a days worth of practice.
>>
>>1077705
meant to type they also "dont" rip and tear
>>
Speaking of competing, I had the privilege of seeing a local pro boxing event last Saturday. I've got to be honest, based on that display I'm seriously considering going pro really soon instead of just doing a few amateur bouts. The talent pool seems to be so thin in not-Northern VA/DC/Maryland that I could probably make some good money fighting in low-level matches.
>>
>>1077705
I didn't know that. We've got some vinyl/leather-is cover on our ring that seems to be indestructible. Most of our guys use basketball/sneakers to spar and move around. The only ones that seem to bother with boxing shoes are the guys who are either competing soon or have competed.
>>
>>1077705
>>1077632

good to know.

I'm nowhere near competing yet, so I guess I'll give that a while.
>>
>>1077940
Yeah, until you know that competing is happening, all you should need is wraps, headgear, mouth guard, gloves, and a foul protector.
>>
>>1077762
I know that feel. I've dabbled in boxing, kickboxing, and mma, and the professional fighting scene here in NC is ridiculously bad
>>
>>1077410
>I don't have any real experience in mma, so I can't comment on how good they are compared to other mma gloves.
They're booty.
>>
File: 10uuy1.jpg (77KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
10uuy1.jpg
77KB, 500x500px
>>1078036
How is the training guys
>>
>>1079024
I'm not sure I understand the question. Aread you asking me how his training is at his gym?
>>
>>1079024
hi victor how do i make money pls and thx

anon
>>
I think I've been having trouble with my new gym. I feel like the instructors are kinda ignoring me on purpose, idk. I have good hand speed so they might have thought I was trying to show off in a new class? Would it be better to switch gyms or should I stick with this one?
>>
>>1079829
Most likely they're concentrating on guys they know are coming back since you're still a newbie and could leave at any time. Keep coming back, keep working hard. If you keep working eventually they'll start talking to you. If you have any questions, approach them politely and humbly.
>>
>>1079845
They were actually pretty friendly at first. now they just blatantly ignore me in drills but still make sure to talk to my partner.
>>
>>1079829
>>1079874
We need more information to work off of.
>>
Had my first fight on the weekend, it was really good and ended in a draw- but I sent my opponent a message thanking him for a good match and mentioned i admired his defense, he sent me a friend request and blocked me 20 minutes later, what's this guys problem? The fight was unofficial and for charity
>>
>>1080013
he's shy :3
>>
>>1079845

Why are you still using my name?
Why are you people even still talking about me?
This is dumb and you are not good people.
Gotta learn to stop expecting human beings to be decent. Your parents would be disappointed.
-Wu
>>
>>1053769

Hey there ND, been a while. Not in practice anymore. Fucked up my legs pretty bad prior to the gif you see floating around here and it's only gotten worse. Can't stand for long periods of time without mild pain, and if I kick, it hurts pretty bad. Don't think I'll ever be able to kick. Probably going to resume training at some point, probably in boxing like fake wu. That is, if I ever start walking without a limp again.

- Wu
>>
>>1080035
>>1080108
>pretending to be Wu
I'll play along.

We thought you killed yourself!

I'm confident you'll be able to train again, as long as you take special care of your legs.
>>
>>1080035
Someone had to bring respectability to it. I haven't mocked nor insulted nor belittled it in any way. From the first day I posted with it, I answered boxing questions and shared my boxing knowledge. That's it. It's my trophy now.

Good to know you're back and thinking positive.

>>1080013
Congrats on your first fight! Always a huge deal and you're awesome for putting yourself out there and seeing how your skills match up against a guy who is only there to beat the stuffing out of you. Being polite to a guy doesn't mean he'll want to be polite/nice/friendly back. For whatever reason he didn't feel like reciprocating your friendship. Brush it off and move on.
>>
>>1080349

I'm not the other guy, and know nothing about the Wu stuff.

That said, yeah, it seems like a sport that with a sport that is a literal fist fight it can be difficult to be civil even when two people respect each other.
>>
anybody know how KKKovalev and GOLOVKIN have so much punching power? i see GGG has ig forearms but KKK looks like a normal /fit/. Do you the soviets train a certain muscle part to get punching power? or is it just genetics?
>>
>>1080487
Years and years and years of training. Additionally, they know when to hit. A large part of it is hitting hard, the other part is hitting where they're open and not expecting it.
>>
>>1080487
Fast twitch muscles, nigga.
>>
>>1080487

Selective breeding by slave masters
>>
File: 1458095812550.webm (3MB, 360x640px) Image search: [Google]
1458095812550.webm
3MB, 360x640px
>>1052723
what could he have done to win?
>>
>>1081142
not get in a fight
not get suplex
>>
>>1081142
Here's what he did wrong.
He threw combinations too early, and he just rushed in.
I'm guessing this was an open ruled fight, since it's done in a restroom, probably a school restroom. He didn't treat it like that, he went in like an inexperienced Boxer. He didn't feel out his opponent, see whether the opponent intended to grapple or strike, didn't go the first round to get to know his opponent.
He didn't throw any feeler jabs, he didn't get a feel for his opponent's distance.
He just went in, and threw a bunch of hooks, which is basically haymakers with technique, and he even threw haymakers.
He just fought like a coked up gorilla.
What he did was treat an MMA match like a Boxing match.

If he just fought intelligently, or learned a lick of grappling, he could've knocked Camo-Jacket the fuck out.
>>
>>1081142
make a pipebomb.
put in the stall
run out
blow up the bathroom
opponent is now missing an arm or leg at least.
Nothing beats a well placed pipbomb.
>>
>>1080332

I was thinking about what I could train in. I guess Tai Chi is an option, but I don't really feel that it ultimately offers me that much. Judo or boxing are significantly less leg-intensive than the TKD I was doing, so I'll probably eventually take up one of those. Probably Judo since I'm a huge weeb and fake Wu seems to be doing well with his boxing.
No, I didn't kill myself. Had several major depressive episodes and pretty constant (daily) anxiety attacks. Going on medication soon. Thanks for your concern.

>>1080349

I'm sure that you're a mature adult. Keeping trophies isn't my kind of thing, but if it's yours, then go for it. If you start fucking around and I start getting emails or whatever from people, since my contact information has been posted before, then I'd request that you stop using the name. Unless that happens, you seem to be doing a good thing here. Though, if you're boxing, and you don't do Tai Chi Chuan, then I'm not sure why you would associate yourself with the name instead of going anonymous or picking a more appropriate title. The action of taking my name itself is arguably disrespectful and childish, but I honestly don't take much issue with it. Keep boxing. If I start training in something again, maybe one day we will spar. Best wishes.

- Wu
>>
>>1081142

He could've at least grabbed the camofag's hood or something. Would've lessened the impact a little bit. The other responders are right, too.
>>
>>1081184
>if you're boxing, and you don't do Tai Chi Chuan, then I'm not sure why you would associate yourself with the name instead of going anonymous or picking a more appropriate title.

>>1052723
Maybe you could use: Old Man Boxing-chan.
It has 5 syllables, just like Wu-style Tai Chi Chaun.

1. wu
2. style
3. tai
4. chai
5. chaun

1. old
2. man
3. box
4. ing
5. chan

The old man part is because you said you were 28 but another anon said you look 19.
>>
>>1080349
Thanks man, your advice about sticking to the fundamentals was really helpful
>>
>>1081184
Frankly I don't care whether you think I'm a mature adult or not and I don't feel the need to prove it to you. I did Tai Chi for about a year and a half when I was in high school. So I'm keeping the name until either I find one I like or I have enough youtube videos circulated that my youtube name becomes more recognizable.

>>1081418
What advice did I give you and when? Either way just keep sticking to it. It's really hard to "program" certain things in such a short period of time, so if you keep working at it you'll only get better.

Though now I'm curious and you're going to need to break down how it went. Did you lead with your jab a lot? How did he utilize his defense? Did you keep your feet under you and use them in your punches? Did you try and take angles to open him up? Etc etc
>>
>>1081184

Wait who the fuck have i been talking to
>>
File: 1457715477044.jpg (393KB, 1959x1469px) Image search: [Google]
1457715477044.jpg
393KB, 1959x1469px
>>1052723
I was wondering if I'm too much of an old fag to start. I'm 29 going on to 30 in July and I always wanted to compete but was heavily discouraged cause my background was CMA. My school taught us the fundamentals of a lot of martial arts (usually saying why v they pale in comparison to kung poo). One of those was boxing. I can't say thorough their training in boxing itself was but going from mma class to mma class (and even one boxing one) they praised me for having a strong stance and having a good foundation for techniques, especially punching. I would of course love to go pro and have gotten very serious about physical training but my age is an ever nagging worry in my mind. I also thought about lying about my age cause I look far younger than I am. Tell me is it really too late? What can I still accomplish?
>>
>>1081532
A few days before my fight I asked if anyone had any general advice, and you said- >>1060679

I don't think I'm really in a position to analyse it though, the things I did wrong are just annoying because I know they're wrong and wouldn't have done them in sparring, but I suppose it must have been the adrenaline that made it so different from sparring

I'm happy with how it went overall though, I looked like a boxer I think, there were a few haymakers but for the most part I got in some good clean combinations and didn't neglect the body, it was so exhausting though, I've sparred for much longer, but by the 3rd round I could barley throw my jab, his defence was good in that he did quite a bit of ducking and slipping and clinched when I hurt him, but both our guards were bad, in sparring i always cover the body, but in the fight we both left it wide open.
My technique was good for the most part aside from one or two swings, his was good too but i'm not sure how much he used his hips and legs because none of his punches hurt me even though he was throwing some big combinations, angles didn't come in to play too much, we were both a bit frantic because of nerves i suppose, going in i wanted to cut off the ring and corner him, but ended up just constantly moving forwards instead
>>
>>1081546
You're vastly overestimating what a pro is. Everypro isn't a mike tyson or a mayweather that lived in the sport.
Tony thompson made a great career and started professional fights at 30 and started boxing in his 20 with no prior experience in fighting sports.
Some people will train 20 years and never compete. Some after 2 years have more than 10 fights in amateur.
Go train ,make amateur fights and find sponsors to get pro. How many pro do you think there are competiting for a world title ?
>>
>>1081567
That sounds freaking awesome. At least you've got one under your belt and can move forward knowing you can hang in there!

>>1081546
Listen to >>1081651. You don't need to become the next World Champion. Just have fun with it. If you want to compete, the only thing stopping you is yourself. I just watched a 40 yeaf old guy with 33 fights, most of them losses, go out there and fight a "promising prospect" who was 2-0 with 2 KOs. It was awful but they both did their best and no one got badly hurt. I wouldn't suggest trying to make a career out of it, but nothing stopping you from going to a boxing gym, getting in shape, and answering that "what if."
>>
>>1081651
Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately I'm on long island and there is literally one official boxing gym and they seem kind of scummy ("free" class can only be taken if you own one of their shirts. Which they conveniently sell for the low low price of 20$! ) that being said they didn't pull take it easy on me nor overly praised me and seemed pretty tough so I might actually gives it a shot. I really want to answer that question of "what if".

Out of curiosity how do you or all of you I suppose feel about mma v boxing. I've always had a deep respect for boxing because the training, techniques, and restrictions like limited striking surface of the hand and legal parts of the body make it incredibly deep and strategic. I always hated mma, maybe it's cause I was trained as a striker and my teachers advice for going to ground was don't.

TL;DR thank you. And what are everyone's opinions on boxing v mma these days
>>
>>1081764
You're absolutely right. Digging the name btw. When you say they both did bad that does concern me I'm not a good loser and don't want to get easily discouraged by my own fragile pride. Thanks for the response.
>>
File: 1455604971320.jpg (132KB, 1000x630px) Image search: [Google]
1455604971320.jpg
132KB, 1000x630px
>>1081974
Sure no problem. Sometimes logistic is a pain and having a family/job can drastically reduce your available time because of priorities. But these are still priorities. You can shift them. For better or worse I can't judge but you still can.
Can't really talk for pre-UFC (like Pride and all) but MMA really changed for the better these last years. Once everybody went past the basic BJJ that gave grapplers an edge early on ,more technical strikers started to shine. The open nature of the sports also lead to some pretty nice science behind tactics and all so that's good. A sport is eventually forged by its rule set.
Now MMA kinda took the place of boxing in a way it went more popular (in the poor sense) than boxing ,probably for the ruthless and violent aspect while boxing for the past 10 years drifted toward an over technical and defensive sport because ,well that win.
At least for the pro ,american scene ,where every oversized blacks figured you could earn as much money on a basketball courts without getting beat up.Standards of living rose since the 70s too. Boxing in the US isn't a poor man sport anymore where the violents poor teenagers would get beat up for money to make a living. We've seen the last years a rise in eastern european boxers too and the likes of Lomachenko gives me faith that we could get a new generation of boxers instead of foul commiting mexicans.
But anyway ,Boxing still suffers from the problem that the overdefensive and technical box does give you great results in winning by decision but bore the shit out of everyone. Just look at the last fight of the century.Indeed ,Pacquiao was way farther from his original weight (he started flyweight) than Mayweather (started super featherweight or lightweight iirc) ,but the fight quickly turned into a hugfest where every attempt of Pac to close the distance was met with a clinch and a break at jab distance where Floyd has the reach advantage.(cont)
>>
File: 1452249886468.png (137KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1452249886468.png
137KB, 500x500px
>>1081974
(cont)
Imo boxing should include over clinching in the cowardice rules to ,I dunno ,change the meta and allow for smaller boxer to go in upper weight class and not be absolutely fucked by the retarded no close distance dominant strategy actually going on.

Wew ,rereading my posts it's a lot of unorganized blabla and you probably meant mma vs boxing on an other scale but at least that will bump the thread ahahah
>>
>>1082021

I agree with the overclinching thing. I understand that clinching is a necessary thing in boxing, but I've seen some matches in my time in China. I am in no shape to actually box, but christ I'd be way better than they would be - every time it started to get interesting somebody just clinched.
>>
>>1081974
Despite the pomp and circumstance I feel that as a whole MMA is still in its infancy. There's a ton of shady "MMA" schools that obviously are akin to the old karate schools of the 80s. Additionally, there isn't too much of a standard of how to sanction and teach mma since there isn't a governing body like there is with USA Boxing for amateur boxing.

Additionally, check out Eye of the Tiger Boxing Club. They're USA Boxing certified and, unless they're closed, most likely to get you a good education.
>>
>>1081982
I hate to say it but if you're a sore loser you might want to not compete. You're not going to win every competition and if you can't deal with loss, then you're going to struggle. On the other hand it can teach you quite a few lessons on losing with dignity.

Also, the audience was not an issue. For the most part they just want to see big hits and sick slips. At my event they went ballistic every time a guy's head wobbled from a clean punch.
>>
>>1081532

Isn't going by a name other than your youtube name kind of stupid? If you want recognition on your channel, then you should assume that name on /asp/. That's just basic logic. I'm not saying that you're an idiot, but that's something to think about.
Ah, my mistake. You're not a mature adult. How unfortunate. I hope that someday you learn to be a bit less self-righteous and a bit more of a man. I sincerely wish you the best, and implore you to change your ways for your own sake.
May the Force be with you.

>>1081540

In the words of the king of hip hop:
"A fan, a phony, a fake, a pussy, a Stan".
Good to see you Fats.

- Wu
>>
>>1081567
>I don't think I'm really in a position to analyse it
Post video.
>>
I'm looking to get into boxing, but the only legitimate boxing gym in my state (Delaware) is too far to bike, which is my only method of transportation. I could make it there, but I doubt I could make it back after a day of training.
The only other gyms I have are 2 kickboxing/boxing hybrid gyms: Modern Vee Jitsu (www.mvjathletics.com/) and Jack's Kickboxinng (www.mykickboxing.com/) and some dumb cardio boxing gym (knockoutboxingde.com/), and I honestly don't know where to go/what to do. MVJ has a great reputation as a striking gym but I would prefer something more focused on boxing, rather than martial arts in general.
>>
>>1082401
Where I live, they have racks in the front of the buses to put bikes on.
>>
>>1074983
Do it with proper form and ease into it/be in good enough shape that you don't get tendinitis and you should be fine.
>>
>>1082204
>>Isn't going by a name other than your youtube name kind of stupid? If you want recognition on your channel, then you should assume that name on /asp/

Or I can, you know, just post links when I reference it. Especially since I created it a week or so ago and I took your name six months ago.

>>Ah, my mistake. You're not a mature adult. How unfortunate. I hope that someday you learn to be a bit less self-righteous and a bit more of a man.

Nah, I'm OK with already being better than you in every way.

>>1082401
MVJ has a USA Boxing certified coach, so you'll probavbly be fine going there.
>>
>>1082771
>Nah, I'm OK with already being better than you in every way.
The shit talking, dick measuring contest has begun.

Dis gun b gud.
>>
>>1082786
I've got nothing to prove. I'm here to help you guys with boxing knowledgr. If he wants to be salty about it he can, but he knows he can't fight me and I've already proven to be more useful to this board than he was in two topics.
>>
>>1082818
In his defense, he contributed quite a bit to the entertainment and liveliness of this board.
Without the kicking thread, and without Wu posting in it, things would be very different.
I don't know how /asp/ would be if he was to never post here.

>tfw I started the kicking thread
It livened things up,
but I still don't know if I did a bad thing or a good thing for this board and the people on it.
>>
I mentioned I would create a copypasta with some links with basic info for when we create more boxing general threads, so here goes:

Recommended youtube instruction
Technique - ExpertBoxing, JT Van V, Marvin Cook
Theory - LeeWylie, WilsonKayden

Recommended equipment
Titleboxing.com
Ringside.com

Looking for a gym?
http://www.teamusa.org/usa-boxing/membership/find-a-club

Anything else I need to add?
>>
File: 1457828405842.gif (2MB, 444x287px) Image search: [Google]
1457828405842.gif
2MB, 444x287px
>>
File: Mayweather vs Pacquiao .gif (4MB, 636x357px) Image search: [Google]
Mayweather vs Pacquiao .gif
4MB, 636x357px
>>1082884
>Recommended youtube instruction
You should post the links to the YouTube channels, maybe the introduction videos of main page video of the YouTubers.

>Recommended Equipment
You should have some more basic info than that, especially about gloves.

>anything else I need to add?
Maybe some stuff about hand wraps, mouth guards, shoes, headgear, maybe give each thread a theme like "Boxing General: Mayweather Game Plan Edition"
>>
>>1082920
I've actually done that. It's embarrassing as hell.

I was working mitts with our second coach for the first time, which was intimidating because he quickly established himself as the most knowledgeable guy in the gym regarding the science aspect of the sweet science (the head coach has decades of experience, but his ability to break it down scientifically is limited). At this point I had been going for about four months and still wasn't comfortable with my skills, so when he motioned for me to throw an uppercut on the mitt I panicked, thought of Ippo, and threw it like it explained in the anime . . . Next to the mitt. Which caused it to over-sail and I punched myself in the forhead. Great first impression.
>>
>>1082929
Sounds good. I'll get on that tomorrow when I have some time during work.
>>
Would someone be able to be a good Boxer even if that person didn't have knees?
>>
I'm feeling good today, went to the gym for the usual class and stuck around for an extra half hour to jump rope and do some bag work. I REALLY need to practice my jab. But I feel great about it, up until about last week I've always felt too worn out after the first hour and a half class to stick around, but I managed to do it today.

>>1082884

I'm going to bed now, but I'll look into seeing if there's a way to find Canadian gyms as well. Otherwise, seems pretty good, don't want to flood people with too many links if they're just starting out. Also, are we going to try to appeal to the bareknucle types at all? I don't much care either way, just asking.
>>
>>1083008
You cold be good, but you can't be GOOD. If you get what I'm saying
>>
Styles?

Can a trainers teachings hinder the development of a boxers style? I've been boxing for 2 years now and have competed amateur. My coach helped me win my first and only match by KO but lately I've felt my progression in skill has stopped.
>>
>>1083121
it takes longer then just 2 years to develop your own style
>>
File: GGG.jpg (10KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
GGG.jpg
10KB, 275x183px
>>1083121
yes but it depends on you also. GGG has two styles. "mexican style"(black people hate this style) the come forward aggression with body punches and little moving you know the julio ceaser chaves shit. The other "technical" were he showed in the david lemeiux fight.

The "mexican style" his head trainer Abel Sanchez installed it into him.
>>
>>1083129
>it takes longer then just 2 years to develop your own style
No, not really.
>>
>>1083228
yes really
>>
>>1083230
not really
>>
>>1082818
You seem like a petty man. Very sad. Compensating for something. Tell me about your mother. How do you feel about your mother?
>>
>>1083121
A good trainer should develop a style that fits your body type and tendencies. If your skill progression has stopped, you either need to look at what you're doing well and what you need to improve on and work on it, or talk to your coach. You're most likely just plateauing and need to work through it.

Sticky v2.0

How to Wrap Hands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kgVnNAHLLM
Gloves for beginners
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOyf7VMNZMk

The Stance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IyjKYbYNiI
Footwork
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EC7L3O05tc
Positioning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOqFQ_7U5Yg
The Jab
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkmBwyfahD0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeedpzLRe2E
The Jab Cross
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA8Se6i8mAI
The Hook
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCqYsGfTnY

General Defense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPljz0yUXpE

Theory - LeeWylie, WilsonKayden

Wraps, Gloves, Jumprope, Bag
http://www.everlast.com/content-pages/bundles/beginner-boxing-bundle
Buy the 12oz gloves for bag work and general exercise, worry about sparring later.

Mouthguards
http://www.titleboxing.com/protection/mouthguards/shock-doctor-pro-mouthguard
http://www.titleboxing.com/protection/mouthguards/shock-doctor-nano-double

Headgear
http://www.titleboxing.com/protection/headgear/title-platinum-training-headgear-1
http://www.ringside.com/ringside/contender-fight-sports-palladium-tri-ply-sparring-headgear.html
http://www.ringside.com/ringside/contender-fight-sports-mexican-style-headgear-3.html

Sparring Gloves
http://www.titleboxing.com/gloves/training-sparring-boxing-gloves/title-platinum-ultimate-sparring-gloves
http://www.ringside.com/ringside/contender-fight-sports-training-gloves-16oz.html
http://www.ringside.com/ringside/contender-fight-sports-sparring-gloves.html
Buy them in 16oz

Looking for a gym?
http://www.teamusa.org/usa-boxing/membership/find-a-club
>>
>>1082087
You would not be better than them
>>
>>1083435

oh definitely not, you just know how it is when you're watching a sport of any sort. Believe me, these guys were NOT high level.
>>
I keep costantly hurting my thumb during sparring or bag work, is it because of bad gloves or just bad bending? How do I judge the quality of boxing gloves and what is the minimum price I should spend to buy a decent pair that it is not super expansive?
>>
>>1083719
You might not be making a fist properly. I've noticed over the years that a lot of boxing, muay thai, and mma gyms don't put the necessary focus on correctly forming a fist to punch. Plenty of places still do, but it's becoming more and more common for gyms to use gloves and wraps as a crutch
>>
>>1083719

>>1083732
He's correct. You're probably putting your thumb on top of your fist and letting it rest there, which is causing it to slam against your targets. Focus more on curling your thumb into a proper fist.
>>
>>1083732
>>1083869
you are problably right anons, i just finished training and noticed that i cant costantly keep a proper fist for the whole duration. but i also have fucking small hands so i guess my thumb doesnt completely touch the tip of the glove and that doesnt help. anyway i think i still need a new pair of glove and need some advices. how do i recognize a good pair of gloves/what details should i look?
>>
>>1083414
Might want to make a pastebin to use instead if you're gonna link that much. You'll have more freedom to format and organize and you also have room to elaborate. I can help get you started in a couple days if you want. Personally I'm all for having a boxing general up permanently.
>>
>>1084558
>anyway i think i still need a new pair of glove and need some advices. how do i recognize a good pair of gloves/what details should i look?

Type - Is it the right type for what you're doing. Are they bag gloves, sparring gloves, or "training" gloves (can be used for either, but not for both).
Size - Is it the right size for me? Bag gloves should be either 12 oz or fitted to your hand (ie medium, small, or large). Sparring/training gloves should be 16 oz (unless you're using them for bag work, then 12 oz).
Material - Are they synthetic leather (vinyl) or leather? If they are leather, is it thick enough?
Padding - Is the padding adequate/the "technology" I want (gel, injection molded foam, etc).

http://www.titleboxing.com/gloves/fitness-boxing-gloves/title-classic-pro-style-training-gloves
http://www.ringside.com/ringside/contender-fight-sports-fitness-bag-gloves.html
http://www.ringside.com/ringside/ringside-pro-style-training-gloves-10.html
http://www.ringside.com/ringside/contender-fight-sports-stand-up-bag-gloves.html
http://www.ringside.com/ringside/contender-fight-sports-jel-world-bag-gloves.html

Any of these are pretty good. The last one is probably your best deal.
>>
>>1084990

Is a synthetic leather, in this application, always worse than a real leather?

I mean, wouldn't a good full grain leather need to be taken care of?
>>
Just starting boxing last week, and I can't seem to figure out the hook. For the jab-cross-hook combo are you supposed to wind up the hook?

I can't seem to get any reach or power and transfer my weight to my back leg at the same time, help pls
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (120KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
120KB, 1920x1080px
>>1085162
Try keeping your elbow up when throwing your hook, might give you a good guide to work on. It won't be very powerful to start.
>>
>>1085162
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCqYsGfTnY

You'll need some practice tho. try to really not wind up and have more speed. Don't forget to contract your core
>>
>>1085162
Never wind up your punches, it opens you up and leaves you open.

All punches should come straight from your boxer's stance and be as compact as possible.

Twist your lead foot and hip as you throw it, then coil back to your stance.

I'll make a video some time today or tomorrow specifically addressing the lead hook and how to throw the 1-2-3 combo.
>>
>>1052723
Epic bread, Wu-Style Tai Chi Chuan
Not currently boxing, but I am in the market for some good training gloves to keep my hands safe while I keep myself sharp hitting the heavy bag in my gym on off days as I save up to actually take up MT, and/or Combat Sambo
If I'm gonna HAVE to get 16 oz. when I do end up starting my training, should I just get them now, or would you recommend some cheap Title 12 or 14 oz. if I'm just using them for bag work two days outta the week for the next couple of months, and then cross that bridge regarding the 16 oz. when I get there? and maybe, preferably with the input of my trainer?
>>
>>1081142
Knee to the balls after the first few hooks desu
followed up by a sweep to end it with style.

Also not fight against someone who is obviously taller and heavier than him.
>>
Should I get 14oz or 16oz first? I'm 143lbs and I have lil bitch hands so I don't know if 16oz will be too big for me.
>>
File: 1446693259400.jpg (66KB, 600x519px) Image search: [Google]
1446693259400.jpg
66KB, 600x519px
>>1085778
well, according to wu and other sources, 12 oz. is ideal for bagwork and 16 is better for sparring for most people. You're going to want those to be two different pairs of gloves as well, as far as I've been told.

I'm not sparring yet, but I have 14 oz for bag work and I'm 135 pounds, and the world hasn't ended yet. If you're only doing bagwork, 14 oz. might be a bit too heavy for the tastes of some. If you plan on sparring, get yourself an extra pair of 16 oz. as well.
>>
Let's say people are 100-120lbs.
What's the problem with sparring with 14oz gloves?
>>
File: 1450865174049.jpg (122KB, 1280x508px) Image search: [Google]
1450865174049.jpg
122KB, 1280x508px
>>1081142
>Dat blood

Goddamn, that aint cool
>>
>>1085872
>>1086275

I'll be honest, I suggest it because I'm ultra-cautious. The lighter the gloves, the quicker and sharper the punches, which increases the chances of cuts happening, even with headgear. My coach refuses to let us spar in anything less than 16 oz. He was watching over a pro sparring in preparation for a fight and was cut by a fighter using 14 oz gloves. It was so bad that he had to cancel the fight.

>>1085778
We've got featherweights using 18 oz gloves at our gym.
>>
>>1053751

Favorite brand for wraps?

Ive been buying the shitty cheap everlast ones and am getting over the stitching on the velcro giving out after decent training. Ive gone through two pairs already in the last 3 months.
>>
>>1086720
http://www.titleboxing.com/protection/handwraps-speedwraps

These make me moist.
>>
>>1053809
Don't sling your head forward.
Work on your Technique.
>>
>>1059979
I would say spar all the time if you want the most improvement.
Brain damage will only be bad if you spar all the time for like 5 years.
>>
>>1060686
Drills are for retards don't listen to this.
Drills are for advanced boxers because they know what they are doing.
Spend a month learning how to footwork and punch n' blocking keepin your hands(you can focus on slipping but i do not reccomend this its better to learn this later on when you find your boxing style and such)
Work your sparring and conditioning the first 6 month of your boxing class also Pad's learn how to hold them and how to hit them.
Then work your drills whatever you think you had problems with during sparring do not do generic drills that everybody is doing it will not help most of the time you need to work drills that work for YOU.
Work different ways of fight while sparring (playing it safe,Brawlering,little movement,lots of movement)
Don't be basic find your style if you want success basic boxers never make it far they learn they quit find your own way of doing things
Also headgear is useless (your brain will still bounce around) but it is useful if you don't want bruises.
Sorry if I fucked up on my spelling I am a little punch drunk I have done boxing,MMA and BJJ for 4 years
>>
>>1086720
Get any kind of wraps that don't stretch at all.
I like hayabusa's bamboo handwraps
>>
>>1085778
16 is basic sparring gloves at any gym any over is overkill 14 ounces is minumum at my gym
Anything under and most people won't wanna spar you
>>
This is the best martial art thread on this board desu

t. wrasslefag
>>
>>1083129
No it doesnt
>>1080487
he has like so many amueter fights its ridiclous that is why
>>1077516
buy some wrestling shoes they work great just only wear them on the mat and make sure to never wear them off to not get shit on the bottom
>>1082771
>being better than you in every way
kek i love it when people argue
If you guys have questions me or fake non faggot wu can answer them I just feel my shit is smart too but i won't respond to any shitposts only legit criticism with reasoning
>>
>>1086828
Ok, sorry for the confusion, I misread a few things and deleted a few posts.

While I agree with your point about not being over-specific, I'm still going to go ahead and trust the pure boxing coach who was a successful pro boxer and successful coach. He's started everyone on the first three restrictions and I added the ones I've started to use as I got more comfortable with sparring.
>>
>>1086837
I am sorry I thought you were trolling me.
I agree with what you said too you seem trustworthy but I like to give my two cents in also believing that some things work for some people and some work for other if you know what i mean
>>
>>1086775
>Anything under and most people won't wanna spar you
>while Karate all over the world is sparring Bare Knuckled
>>
>>1086841
By all means bring your voice and experience to the thread!
>>
>>1086844
Isn't most Karate body punches only?
Its boxing also we need the safety of gloves to make sure we don't break our hands.
Also people don't want the unfairness of having 16 ouncers and sparring some douche who wore 10 ounces or 8 ounces
>>
>>1086844
Different system, different issues. Not sure how many Karate styles allow punching in the head, either.
>>
>>1086852
So have you done anything other than boxing
>bjj,mma,judo,sambo,wrestling,etc?
>>
>>1086858
Did mall-Karate Tae Kwon Do for three years, wrestled for two years in middle school, Tai Chi for a year and a half in high school, Kendo for a year, Aikido for four years, BJJ for about a month, HEMA for three years.
>>
>>1086864
I did TKD for a year lost intrest due to forms and such.
I do pure wrestling all the time for MMA.
Did Muay thai for 2 months to steal some tech.
BJJ for 4 years.
Boxing for 3 and half.
MMA for 3.
Never done Tai chi,Kendo,akidido or HEMA.
I did learn some nunchuck skills for fun tho.
Mall TKD sounds funny.
>>
>>1086731
>http://www.titleboxing.com/protection/handwraps-speedwraps

Give me 5...i need to...do things
>>
>>1086911
>http://www.titleboxing.com/protection/handwraps-speedwraps

Whoops. I meant to post these:

http://www.titleboxing.com/protection/handwraps-speedwraps/title-traditional-weave-handwraps
>>
Sorry didn't see this one

>>1085754
If I'm gonna HAVE to get 16 oz. when I do end up starting my training, should I just get them now, or would you recommend some cheap Title 12 or 14 oz. if I'm just using them for bag work two days outta the week for the next couple of months, and then cross that bridge regarding the 16 oz. when I get there? and maybe, preferably with the input of my trainer?

Honestly I would get the cheap Title bag/"fitness" gloves until you're given the ok to spar. The sparring gloves are pretty specialized and unless you're sparring you won't need them, so there's no real need to sink that kind of money into it until you're nearing that point. I'm a gear whore and wasted a ton of money on gloves and I don't recommend you do the same.
>>
>>1086875
>Mall TKD sounds funny.
Maybe he left out the comma for a reason.
Maybe he did mall-Karate Tae Kwon Do, a hybrid mall-Karate-Taekwondo art.
>>
>>1087183
Ippo started it. Then I learnt how much depth their was to it and wanted to continue it. Now I enjoy the feeling I get from training in it and teaching it. I want to see if I can actually get in the ring and hang with someone who's trained solely to beat me. As previously mentioned I've done a lot of martial arts that were either friendly or had that "don't worry, it works" mentality. I don't dislike BJJ, Sambo, Wrestling, etc. In fact, I want to take traditional Judo, but I don't have the time, money, nor a location where I live. Right now I'm dedicating myself to boxing and seeing where that leads me.
>>
Bumping before I forget and it dies.
>>
>>1086973
Wait start training?
Your bs'ing everybody dude
I'd rather listen to this guy
>>1086875
He actually has exp not CMA bullshit
>>
>>1088265
You new here or something? He was replying to someone else and copied their question into his post.
>>
>>1088272
dudes a fucking retard like the last wu doesnt even spar prob a manlet and shit learning 1 month of boxing from some pleb coach who doesnt even have any champions and won his awards from some local show
>>
>>1088275
I wish I could understand what knowledge you're trying to impart, but your fat sausage fingers are jamming all of the keys at once and making you completely incomprehensible!

If you'd like to order a dialing wand, please respond by slamming your hand down on the keyboard!
>>
>>1088298
>being this much of a manlet
just because you can't fight doesnt mean you need to project this bad lad
>>
>>1088805
Hey, at least I know I'm short AND not that good at my art.

I've posted a combination of good advice AND video of myself on the heavybag.

Go ahead and show us what you've got, or are you too afraid your autist girly punches will get laughed off the board?
>>
>>1088805
Here's a video of myself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPjBCfjtmlE

In return, I want what OP wants. >>1088839
Post a video of yourself.
>>
>>1088850
I did. It's earlier in the topic. >>1061584

Its about a month and a half old and I'm using gloves I honest don't like, but there it is. It was roundly discussed and dissected by some other posters. Northern Dragon posted a video of himself and we talked about what he could fix, as well.

I was going to do one on the 1-2-3 combo, but the one of Marvin Cook explained everything I would have said, but better.
>>
>>1088863
Whoops my bad. Didn't read the post and thought you were the troll.
>>
>>1088839
>he is actually a manlet
fucking kek
bruh look at that shit jab
you arent supposed to throw that like that unless you are slipping a punch
>>
>>1088883
shit jab was for
>>1088850
>>
>>1088887
>>1088883
Leave I am not responding again just letting you know I don't want you in the thread
>>1088265
We both have experience you have no respect for MA's just because I do the arts you like doesn't mean his exp isn't worth while
>>
>>1088883
>>He still hasn't posted a video of himself yet

I hover between 5'8 and 5'9, which is a "manlet" by this board's standards. Also couldnt care less. I've also beat the shit out of 6'+ jocks who came into the gym thinking that their bench numbers could override experience. >>1088887
Keep talking, though. You're just proving you have no spine.
>>
>>1088895
>i am badass
where do you live so I can heem your manlet ass
I would break your arm so quick but instead i'll just outbox you
>>
>>1088898
I'm in Roanoke, VA. Bring it.
>>
>>1088900
lucky that i am in NM right now training with some friends or i'd fuck you up
>>
>>1088895
>manlet by this board's standard
not that guy but you realise that a manlet is anyone under 6 ft
your starting to look stupid bro like the original wu
>>
>>1088911
People always talk shit, nobody ever ends up fighting.
>>
>>1088911
See, the worst part about this is you've worked yourself into a corner.

Either A - You're lying and you're just a loudmouthed wuss.

Or B - You actually are that good, you went into a topic acting like an ass based on a misunderstanding because you didn't take the time to read a post more carefully, then picked a fight with someone you knew wasn't as good a fighter as you. Which makes you a meanspirited jackass who needs to compensate by fighting people you know are worse than you.

Either way, I don't care. I made this topic to help people with boxing. Not prove how tough I am. I straight up say that I've been doing this for about a year, love it, and want to help others who have an interest in it. I'm not in this topic to tell everyone how great I am and how I can beat this person or that person. I'm going to have my first amateur fight some time during the summer and I'll probably update you guys on how I do. If I win, awesome. If I lose, oh well now I know and I'll have that experience to lean on when I become a coach.
>>
>>1088883
>you arent supposed to throw that like that unless you are slipping a punch
I don't always reply to b8, but sometimes when I do, it's to laugh at stupid bullshit.
kek, what stupid bullshit.
low quality b8, m8.
>>
>>1088919
By what standard and social construct? The internet? That doesn't really affect me. I also didn't say I wasn't one.
>>
>>1088925
>1 month into boxing
>gets his ass kicked during sparring so he only does pads
>gives invalid info to people on a chinese imageboard
We make fun of people like you at our gym.
When ever you find yourself in Alb in NM we will talk
>>
>>1088933
OK then. Keep running.
>>
>>1088929
Its true tho I am not that guy who is calling people retards but look at mike tyson he would use a jab like the but it would be during a slip not trying to say its wrong but its a bad setup for someone shorter because the taller guy could just jab you or cross you
>>
>>1088936
>he found out that i am a pussy
>oh no better just say something funny
>K-KEEP R-RUNNING
You're a dummy you don't even spar and have a shitty coach and your footwork is shit go do some more fitness classes you soccer mom
>>
>>1088941
Hey, I'm not the one who challenged someone to a fight, got a yes, then backed off.
>>
>>1088943
Still waiting on that video.
>>
>>1088943
Do you want me to travel to your shit town and your shit gym fuck off bitch.
Come to New Mexico
Reminder if you back off from taking a flight you are a pussy
>>
>>1088948
I'm not the one issuing the fight challenge. You are. Don't try and spin this on me. It makes you look desperate. But then again, my self esteem isn't tied to a message board so I wouldn't know.

Post a video of you hitting the bag or sparring. You still haven't.
>>
>other people backing off from fighting Wu
I mean, I know it's not the same Wu, but still. What a twist.
>>
>>1088958
I'll be honest, I never thought it would go this far. I'm probably going to switch my name to my YouTube name when this topic dies. I don't have much more use for this one.
>>
>>1088960
Don't do it, brah, your obnoxious past is too much a part of board culture. I'll fight you if you're nearish--I'm in Pennsylvania, but I travel a fair amount. I'm out of shape and out of practice, but I'll do it for the lulz.
>>
>>1088973
I'm not the real Wu, remember? If you're down for a spar come to Gator Boxing. You'll probably beat the shit out of me but it'll be an awesome story and vid for the board so we can say that there ACTUALLY was a spar between two members.
>>
>>1088960
Here is me hitting the bag
https://streamable.com/clzd`
come to NM I will fucking murder you you manlet bitch
you know nothing about boxing you train at shit
gym i train with top MMA and boxers
who is ducking who now you little bitch fuck with me cunt fuck with me
>>
>>1088979
>I'm not the real Wu, remember?
Oh shit, I didn't actually read the thread until just now. I thought it was weird that Wu seemed to be giving good boxing advice. Where's Gator Boxing? I'm a grappler and stickfighter, so you'll probably kick my ass in a boxing match. Should be fun, though.
>>
>>1088980
dude ill fight you fuck you man you said you live in alb? meet me at the mall tomorrow at 2 you down?
>>
>>1088979
damn right shut your fucking mouth pusssy
>>1088990
dude ill fuck you up ill be there tomorrow ill be wearing a red shirt with a yellow hoodie with jeans
easy spot meet me at dog pound part
>>
>>1088992
you got deal bro ill be there at 2
>>
>>1088992
>>1088995
Get this on film, brahs.
>>
>>1088996
I'll bring my friend to film it
>>
I'll bring my friend to film too
>>1088997
>>1088996
Funny how wu hasn't said shit now that i fucking posted me destorying the heavy bag fucking pussy man all talk he knows nothing
>>1088979
>>
>>1089000
>https://streamable.com/clzd

You definitely aren't bad, and you're definitely better than me. I've never claimed otherwise. You still drop your hands too much and swing wide with those hooks, you let your stance get too wide about two thirds through the video, and your stance is really square.

I'm also going to reiterate:

>>Or B - You actually are that good, you went into a topic acting like an ass based on a misunderstanding because you didn't take the time to read a post more carefully, then picked a fight with someone you knew wasn't as good a fighter as you. Which makes you a meanspirited jackass who needs to compensate by fighting people you know are worse than you.

>>Either way, I don't care. I made this topic to help people with boxing. Not prove how tough I am. I straight up say that I've been doing this for about a year, love it, and want to help others who have an interest in it. I'm not in this topic to tell everyone how great I am and how I can beat this person or that person. I'm going to have my first amateur fight some time during the summer and I'll probably update you guys on how I do. If I win, awesome. If I lose, oh well now I know and I'll have that experience to lean on when I become a coach.
>>
>>1089012
He said he was an MMA fighter so maybe it pulls better for MMA?
Also thank god your not in new mexico that guy would have killed you with his fists. holy shit i feel bad for this guy
>>1088995
Dude looks huge as fuck I'd literally avoid this motherfucker so hard
>>
>>1089016
Like I said, I don't care whether or not he would have beat the crap out of me. My point is he's a bully, and I'll fight him if he ever makes it to Roanoke, even if I do get my ass kicked. I'm wasn't the one who started talking shit on a message board. I'm not here to pick fights. My goal in creating this topic was to help others learn about boxing. Not be a jackass to others because I know I'm better than them.
>>
>>1089012
>so spooked he loses the wu name
>>
>>1089021
My phone died and I posted from my tablet. I thought I had been using the name on that too. But apparently the video caused it to shit its pants and forget everything.

Like I said, he'd kick my ass. And if he decides a flight across the country is worth it, I'll videotape it and post it, because I'm not backing down. It won't amount to much other than a far more experience and athletic fighter beating up a less experienced and athletic fighter because he decided he didn't like him on a message board.
>>
>>1088986
It's in Vinton, which is a little town east of Roanoke in Virginia.
>>
>>1088973
>I'm out of shape and out of practice, but I'll do it for the lulz.

We need more anons like this guy.
>>
>>1089020

Even if New Wu loses, he'll retain his honor.
>>
>>1089042
That's like six hours from where I live, how do I find you once I get bored enough to impulse-drive down there?

>>1089067
Live life to the lulziest, anon.
>>
>>1089012
Shouldn't be helping people if you aren't real knowledgable about boxing like atleast some pro fights and shit you know
>>
>>1065344
imo you're way to square.
You're punching way to close to the bag.
Turn your hands over when you punch.
>>
>>1089117
See:
>>1065344
>>
File: 1458300848601.jpg (49KB, 843x461px) Image search: [Google]
1458300848601.jpg
49KB, 843x461px
The fuck is going on now
>>
>>1089074
>>When New Wu loses, he'll look like a principled idiot

Fixed that for you.

>>1089079
I'm the only Asian at the gym. Let me know what day you'd plan on coming down so I know to be there. I'm usually there every day it's open (Monday-Thursday, 5:30-8:00. Saturday 10:30-1:00) but you never know.

>>1089110

I'm knowledgeable enough to coach beginners, which is what most of this board is and most of the questions I've answered are. When the gym gets crowded with newbies my coach has me help the new guys while he works with the pros. Like I said I'm not much of a fighter because I haven't sparred much due to shoulder injuries, but my technique is good enough that I'm used as an example by coaches when they want to explain a concept. If someone had a question that went over my head I said so. If they have more experience than me I've respected that. I haven't lied about my qualifications and mentioned them in my second or third post of this thread.
>>
>>1088883
/fit/ memeing is dumb. Manlet boxers who are still hype were always a thing.
>>
man, this thread went to shit really quickly. Don't even bother replying to the faggot, bait or no bait there's no point and it's not constructive.
>>
>>1089491
Yeah, I've gotten to that point. I'm just going to ignore non-questions and focus on givibg advice/suggestions from now on. I will say though that I am excited at the idea of >>1089079 visiting, though. As toxic as this board can be, the idea of a friendly spar and a chance to learn from someone else/somewhere else is refreshing.

Is the topic even bumping any more, though? If it isn't I'll create a new one. I need to make that pastebin for the sticky before I do that, though.
>>
>>1089643
For your conditioning routine that you mention earlier in the thread, how many sets and reps would you recommend for someone who only lifts once a week and does light cardio?
>>
>>1089643
We hit bump limit a while ago.
>>
>>1090425
I'll be honest, the way I laid it out was that I start about 10 below what I know I can do (say I know I can do 50 sit ups, I'll do 40), then keep doing sets adding ten until I max out (say at 80). Then I do five sets at 20 below max, 10 below max, max, 10 below max, 20 below max, then burnout.

Individually though:

-Jump rope
When I started I sucked at jump rope since I'm generally uncoordinated. So I set a goal (20 skips) and would do multiple sets of it for at least 5-10 minutes. When I could reach that reliably, I set it higher (50, then 100). Once I could reach 100 reliably I just started going by the boxing timer, but adding different skips (doubles, kick outs, etc).

-Push ups
Pyramid pushups (10 pushups, then rest on knees and raise hands as if shoulder pressing 10 times, 9 pushups, 9 presses, 8 pushups, 8 presses, etc). When you finish counting down, start counting back up.

-Mountain climbers
Usually I do these after the various duck walk drills. It ends up being like the pyramid pushups, but with burpees into high jumps in between.

-Duck walks, all the duck walks. - They look and feel stupid, but they will help with your knee bend so much. In your room, just walk forward from wall to wall a few times, then backwards, then "crab walk" sideways. Focus on keeping your butt as low to the ground as possible and your back straight. Rest often if necessary.
>>
>>1090507
To add to that: don't try and do it all at once. Try each of the exercises, see how taxing they are, then adjust your reps/sets accordingly.
>>
>>1090507
>>1090512
Sounds good, I'll probably try this tomorrow morning before breakfast, thanks!
Thread posts: 348
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.