[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Extra juicy! | Home]

How much should it cost to fix a cat?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: estimates.png (145KB, 437x220px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
estimates.png
145KB, 437x220px
I recently took in two ~7 month old cats, one is male, the other female. I got their rabies vaccinations yesterday, so now it's finally time to get them both fixed. The vet I've been seeing sent me the estimates this morning (pictured). I have the money to pay, this isn't an issue of not being able to afford my pets, but these numbers seem kind of crazy. It shouldn't cost that much, right? A quick Google search says a spay costs $200 max.

I was hoping you guys could help me clarify if this vet is charging way too much and if I should find another. I like them okay, but this isn't the first time I've felt like they were overcharging.
>>
Why don't you just neuter the male? There isn't a real good reason to neuter a female.

A neuter is cheaper than a spay because they just slash open the sack and rip the balls out.
>>
>>2481697
>There isn't a real good reason to neuter a female.
Until it goes into heat and is annoying as fuck or gets an infected uterus from not carrying a litter and it costs 5 times as much to spay.
>>
From my experience working for a local vet, yes, this is high. I'm not sure where you are located but that may have something to do with it. Something else you may consider: is the vet that gave you this estimate a 24 hour emergency vet? Is it a popular chain (VCA for example)? Both of those will charge much higher prices given their convenience and availability of staff at all times. My suggestion is to definitely call around and find a cheaper vet for the surgeries.

>>2481697
>pyometra
>mastatis
>breast, ovarian, uterine cancer
>annoying ass loud cat
>accidental kittens if she gets outside

You're an idiot.
>>
>>2481720
>bone cancer and literally every other cancer
>joint issues
>complications related to the surgery
>sudden death from anesthesia
>>
>>2481723
>complications related to the surgery
>sudden death from anesthesia
Incredibly fucking rare, I've seen wellover 500 animals get put under and only one was lost, a shelter puppy with an undiagnosed heart defect (was the runt of the litter and weighed half of the next smallest). Shelter didn't give us any of that information until after it died.
>>
>>2481697
>>2481711
My cat's uterus practically exploded. And rather than a cheap spay it turned into almost 2k for an emergency surgery that she didn't have that good of an outcome even with it. She recovered and actually had an appointment for a spay three weeks from then, but I had years to get it done as she was I think 14 at the time. Indoor cat, never had kittens. Now she is almost legal to drink and still very healthy and active.

Funnily enough it also happened to three unspayed dogs I knew within the following two years.

As for OP - most places have something cheaper. Sometimes chain pet stores and shelters. Going to the vet tends to be way more expensive. I got my male cat neutered when he was old enough by one of those spay and neuter vans. They included antibiotics and pain medications and it costed me under $100. I actually found them by posting an add on Craigslist asking for suggestions for cheaper places. I had to drive 25 minutes to meet them as they didn't go to my town exactly.
>>
>>2481720
Located in New York. It's not a chain or an emergency place either.

I just moved here, so I'm still not really sure what good prices are, but I called up another place that quoted me for half of what the original places was saying.
>>
>>2481784

How does this happen? Can it happen to women if they don't get pregnant? Can my balls explode too?
>>
>>2481808
It's an infection of the uterus more common in middle aged dogs and cats. What causes it prinably varies. It can happen to human females too. I know a few middle aged women who had to get their uterus removed, and one of them was 28. I don't remember exactly why but it could be a multitude of factors. Not really a great subject they like to talk about. Besides that I know also know a women whose cervix atrophied (she also has a hormone imbalance. She's basically a fucking amazon), my sister and a friend get ovarian cysts. Really a lot of fucking shit goes on with female parts. I think spaying is more important than neutering. If I were a woman I'd probably want to get that shit cut out immediately if it would even help prevent breast cancer like it does with animals. Pretty much every man or woman I know who is over 55 had their mom, sister or aunt(or a combination of them) die of breast cancer. Some really early too like my coworkers sister who was in her 20s.

I don't think I know anyone with ball problems but prostate cancer really isn't uncommon. Even my uncle has it. Cancer in America in general is scarily common. All men on my dad's side ended up with some form of it too be it lung, prostate, bone, brain cancer, etc so I'll probably get fucked too eventually.
>>
>>2481855

Can you have your prostate removed?
>>
>>2481863
According to google, yeah I guess.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.