[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/an/, I need your help. I'm about to move in with my gf

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: 20170730_232815.jpg (678KB, 1914x2552px) Image search: [Google]
20170730_232815.jpg
678KB, 1914x2552px
/an/, I need your help.

I'm about to move in with my gf of a year (sorry) in a three bedroom apt. The apartment is spacious and the floors are hardwood, no carpet in sight. We have one issue: I have a cat, and she is allergic. Her symptoms, though not severe, are frequent and unpleasant enough (some sneezing, coughing, stuffiness) to warrant some understandable apprehension about bringing him along.

He's a great cat, and this is coming from an individual who doesn't even particularly like cats. Incredibly friendly and social, and a dutiful mouser to boot. He literally saved me from an infestation at one point, so I feel strongly indebted to him. I have made some headway in rehoming him, but live in an urban epicenter and the only options which have turned up thus far are weird foreign couples who live in tenements and stoner college kids.

My question: if I purchase and use a high end brush like the furminator, is there a chance her symptoms will be diminished? Especially in a space devoid of carpet, I imagine less dander and other allergens would collect there. Or is it a false hope and I would be better saving everyone the continued discomfort and heartbreak by just rehoming?
>>
>>2461583
Is it possible that your GF could get some allergy pills to help her? I know that it can work with some cases, but I don't know if it'll work with all of them. If she's already tried pills, try a brush and see if it works.
>>
dumb your cunt gf
>>
Wow, you're willing to give up your cat for a woman you've been with only a year?
There are plenty of options for people who are allergic to cats. Medication being one.
>>
File: 1473626577097.jpg (12KB, 258x245px) Image search: [Google]
1473626577097.jpg
12KB, 258x245px
>>2461583
>moving in with someone you've known one year
what's next, falling for the marriage trap in six months?
>>
You don't dump a true bro over someone you've only known a year, holy shit. Run an air purifier, vacuum and wash linens once a week, make her take pills or get shots.
>>
>>2461583
>Getting rid of your awesome fuckjng cat for a roastie ever

If she loves you, she'll take allergy medicine. Don't be that whipped ass dude that potentially moves your cat to a worse home because your gf can't handle it
>>
Regular brushing and vacuuming will help out. They also make cat shampoo and spray to help with allergies.
>>
My husband was allergic to cats but my cat was too bad ass to not keep. He briefly took pills and quickly became immune. Many (if not most) people seem to become immune after a while of repeated exposure. So, my advice is to get her some non-drowsy antiallergy meds for the first couple months and use an air purifier for a while if you're still concerned. It will also help if you disallow the cat from entering your bedroom until your gf's immunity starts up

Also, this
>>2461878
>>
My roomate had really bad allergies when we first got a cat. We ran air purifiers 24/7 and vacuumed once every few days. He got used to all of the fur and stuff and his allergies went away after a couple weeks. Seems pretty common for allergies to go away.
>>
Anyone claiming to be allergic to an animal that entertains the idea of living with it is faking it
Which is fine too. I wouldn't want to live with a gross cat either
Anyone without allergies saying to medicate all the time can go fuck themselves
You are going to have to choose
>>
I have bad cat allergies and live with my boyfriend's cat. The issue lies not with the fur, or "dander" as most people think, but people who are allergic to cats are actually allergic to the cat's saliva. Since cats are always licking themselves, it's hard to avoid allergens even with constant brushing and vaccuuming.

I've found that after a few months of living with the cat I didn't have allergic reactions as frequently, so I think the body gets used to it. BUT if she rubs her face near the cat or if the cat sleeps on her pillow she will be miserable. Make sure you wash your sheets often, vacuum, sweep, and if you can, get a washable cover for your couch. Also, scooping the litterbox twice a day helps.

The absolute most important thing that helped me was keeping the bedroom door closed. No cats allowed in the bedroom. This creates a sort of sterile, allergen-free room your gf can retreat to. It's impossible to get a good night's rest if the cat is allowed on the bed.

I hope this helps
>>
>>2461919
>>2461925
>>2461944

Severe allergies don't just go away. Allergies run in my family, and my dad's in particular are so bad when we moved when I was small, during house hunting he'd walk in some places and have to straight back outside if a cat had lived there in the past year.

I'm nowhere near as bad, but combined with my shitty ass lungs, my doctor has said no cats.

If is an allergy and not just an irritant, you can't just turn that off.
>>
>>2461583
I'm of course going to echo the main consensus that if they got into a relationship knowing you have a cat they should accept it. But in saying that, I know for a fact that allergy shots work. I used to be pretty allergic to animal dander, which is what she is allergic to (dander comes from animal saliva meeting hair, and then that hair flying around) and now I don't have any allergies to them.
>>
>>2462309

Have allergy shots gotten any better?
When I was a kid I spent well over two years going to weekly allergy shot appointments. First twice a week getting three shots, then twice a week getting two, and so on until one shot once a week and then done. I barely any remember of it because I'm retarded but I can't imagine how shitty that would be as an adult. This was a good 18-20 years ago though.
>>
>>2461955
I'll bet you have "gluten" allegeries too,..you snowflake
>>
I took allegra for years back before it was over the counter and it effectively got rid of my animal allergies. After I stopped taking it they actually never came back.
>>
>>2461583
How many mice has your gf killed, huh? I think the choice is clear.
But seriously, there are meds to treat this. Anyone who would demand on cutting out such a big part of your life is not dating material. Adapt and get along.
>>
It depends how allergic she is. Monty Oum died getting an allergy shot after his gf got a cat while knowing he had allergies.

I've tried everything- allegra, zyrtec, claritin, flonase, etc. None of it makes even a dent. If her allergies are really bad, even your clothes that haven't been in the same room as the cat will be as good as contaminated.

It's like a peanut allergy- runs from mild discomfort to deadly.
>>
>>2462315
This had to have been about 10 years ago so I suppose they must have made some progress since that time. Maybe it is different for everyone.
>>
>>2461583
Get a better girlfriend, anon. Seriously don't dump the cat. I work in a cat shelter of sorts and people who get rid of their cats because their new cum dumpster/husband/baby is allergic are the scum of the earth. Don't become one of them
>>
>>2461583
Tell her to start taking allergy medication
>>
>>2463028
you want someone with an allergic baby to keep a shitbag cat around, really?
get fucked, stupid catfag
>>
>>2463142
>dogfags in charge of reading comprehension
Unless you are implying all women are infants. Then you're just edgy fampaiseu
>>
>>2463142
>I'm an actual retard in 2017
>What is allergy medication?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.