[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you spend more than a thousand dollars on medical bills

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_nsl7u4f9h51u5firdo1_500.jpg (40KB, 500x594px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nsl7u4f9h51u5firdo1_500.jpg
40KB, 500x594px
Would you spend more than a thousand dollars on medical bills for your pet(s)? I can't justify paying the ridiculous price of treating a life threatening injury/sickness of something that probably won't live another ten years, even with a clean bill of health, and I love my cat and dog.
>>
>>2431908
For me to make a judgement call on someone in such a situation I probably look at a couple factors:

>How wealthy the person is
>How old the pet is
>The quality of life the pet would have after the procedure

If it isn't a substantial financial burden on someone and their pet had another 5+ potential years of life and we're just like "Fuck it, put it down" then I can imagine they had no real love for their pet and thus I'd probably consider them a cold or detached person who shouldn't really have a pet (or kids for that matter).

At the moment I literally could not afford a $1000 treatment for either my cat or dog who are both above 10 years. If something came up, I would at the very least try begging on one of those fundraiser sites (I feel like sick animals get clicks but there are a lot of needy people I guess). If that didn't work I'd be distraught to put them down but I wouldn't feel guilty as I gave them 10 years of care and affection, plus I don't consider going into debt for your pet some kind of moral responsibility.
>>
>>2431908
I feel like this is part of planning before getting a pet. If I'm going to take on an animal I'm going to be prepared for the commitment. If spending more than $1000 will give it good quality of life for years to come then yes. I wouldn't spend several thousands just to give a terribly sick, old, pet an extra painful week of existence. Of course it depends on your situation.
>>
>>2431908
Shit just getting shots the other day for my dog and cat was 200 bucks.
>>
>>2431924
This guy gets it.
>>
>>2431908
Depends on the pet honestly. The only pet in my household right now is an older stray cat that we adopted but still let go outside, so no.

Unrelated: it pisses me off kind of to see shelters spending thousands of dollars on strays, neglected or abandoned animals when there are a lot of families that actually want to keep their pets and could use some assistance. It's like some of these shelters feel obligated to invest a ton of money in any fucked up animal that gets dropped in their lobby and post about it on social media.
>>
>>2431908
If it was 25%> of my current wealth, the dog (dogfag here) would have a good 5+ years of good quality life left, then probably.

Otherwise, I'm not sure I could justify it. If everything was right with the world, and every good dog got a home, then that'd be different. But we currently live in a world were thousands of perfectly good dogs are put down every day. Spending five figures to save one dog, when that money could be put to better use saving hundreds of dogs + frees up space to adopt a different one (I try to make a largish donation whenever I adopt, depending on my financial situation) just seems kind of wasteful.

I'm not trying to sound cold. I've owned 3 dogs in my life, and I legitimately risked my life for one of them, and would've gladly died for the other two if the situation came up.
>>
>>2431980
It's not cold, I sometimes think from a similar perspective: Basically I could pour money into an animal that would see little return actually extending it's life depending on the circumstances, or I can take a step back and say:

"Well, you had a decade with me, compared to basically every living thing ever you've had an amazing life, maybe this is where it should end so that another cat or dog festering in a shelter could get some of that good living I'm dedicating to you."

Maybe you don't see you're pets as long as you possibly could, but you don't have to watch them fall apart as you try to spend thousands trying to keep the pieces together, and more animals overall get to be cared for.
>>
I dumped around $1500 into a 10 year old mutt that was having prostate issues with test, x-rays, and a trip to an emergency vet. That bought him another 2 months and the next step was a $3k prostate surgery that had a very high chance of leaving him incontinent. That was the point I had to stop. He wasn't the kind of dog that could have been happy living out the last few years outside and I couldn't be happy with him peeing all over everything inside. If I knew he would have been fine after the surgery I would have done it. He was still healthy otherwise and I have the money so why not. I waste plenty of money on shit I don't need like TV, computers, newer cars blah blah blah. I'd rather have my dog.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.