[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /an/ think about vaquitas? There are less than 30

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: vaquita_porpoise.jpg (52KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
vaquita_porpoise.jpg
52KB, 600x450px
What does /an/ think about vaquitas? There are less than 30 in the wild currently but a conservation group is trying to round them up and breed them back.

It might seem like too small of a gene pool but scientists say that there's enough diversity for success down the line. Also, California condors were apparently brought back from ~20 individuals.

http://www.nmmf.org/vaquitacprconservation.html
>>
File: 3245325325235.png (835KB, 717x880px) Image search: [Google]
3245325325235.png
835KB, 717x880px
>>2429103
>>
>>2429104
Ah I see you are a fellow redditor as well
>>
>>2429103
Never got why SeaWorld got more attention than these things
>>
>>2429109
Well as far as I know these little guys never got their own high-budget Netflix-promoted documentary. Which is a shame, honestly
>>
WWF use cute animals to gather funds for bacteria salvation because you fucks need a face to be compassionate and shit
>>
these things are so cute. why do chinese have to be subhumans and crave the swim bladders of fish that share the waters with endangered porpoises

fucking chinese ruin everything
>>
>>2429148
Chink here. I'm furious and ashamed about my homecountry ruining so many animals. It makes me sad, but I'm an animal activist to make up for it and am happy that people from all over the world want to save animals like OP's
>>
>>2429103
What is this? It looks fake, like someone just airbrushed a dolphin.
>>
>>2429305
>chink here
>>
>>2429148
the wording of this made my sides soar
>>
Welcome to /b\
>>
>>2431162
>/b\
>>
>>2429103
They're effectively extinct already.

With only 30 animals you don't have enough of a gene pool to create any sort of healthy population. That's assuming you can get them to breed reliably in the first place, and since they're dolphins that's not going to happen as they're less prodigious than even we are. Better to catch them all, take numerous DNA samples and scan their bodies with every tool we have so that we can try to clone them at some point in the future once technology permits it. We're not going to save them at this point. It's a lost cause.
>>
>>2429305
tell your countrymen that killing endangered rhinos isn't going to make their tiny chink penises any bigger

seriously your country is the number one problem with regards to biodiversity right now, cut it the fuck out
>>
Vaquitas have never been hunted directly, but their population is declining, largely because of animals becoming trapped in illegal gillnets intended for capturing the totoaba, a large critically endangered fish of the drum family endemic to the Gulf. A trade in totoaba swim bladders has arisen, driven by demand from China (where they are used in soup, being considered a delicacy and also erroneously thought to have medicinal value), which is greatly exacerbating the problem.
>driving a species extinct because it get's caught when you try to fish for ANOTHER critically endangered species
How many animals could you save by wiping China off the face of the Earth?
>>
Why aren't we using cloning technology to preserve endangered species? Or if that's not viable why aren't we taking DNA samples and putting them in cold storage somewhere to await the day when it is viable?
>>
>>2431394
because Jurassic park is a work of fiction not a news story from the immediate future. shit, where do you want the clones to live? the real ones didn't all die of freak accidents or some shit
>>
>>2431347
>They're effectively extinct already.
>With only 30 animals you don't have enough of a gene pool to create any sort of healthy population
Jesus Christ you are an idiot. You neither read the link nor OPs second paragraph. You literately read the first sentence then stopped.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.