[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

Sleeper Sharks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

How is it possible that this species of shark is only found in both the Antartic and Arctic waters? How did it get to both regions? Don't say they swam all the way from both poles because then why aren't they found in between them?
>>
>>2410917
>Don't say they swam all the way from both poles
they do it all the time
>because then why aren't they found in between them?
water's not cold enough for them there so they don't stay. also their prey is found at the poles
>>
>>2410917
sleeper sharks are a family, not one species
>>
>>2410927
So convergent evolution?
>>
>>2410917
Why do you even care about sleeper sharks? Honestly.
>>
>>2410933
because i'm curious. why do you care about cats licking themselves or why your gf's pussy is as wide as a hotel's lobby after working overtime with jamal?
>>
>>2410932
No. If we apply your question to something different, you asked how Fenneks got into the Sahara when there are grey wolves in Canada.
>>
>>2410932
no.

if you find similarities in related species, convergence shouldn't be your first guess.
>>
>>2410935
I hate cats.
As long as she's happy that's what matters to me because I love her.
>>
>>2410943
cuck
>>2410938
>>2410936
then how did the sharks that came from a common ancestor inhabit 2 polar opposite regions (literally)? you guys say they swam but why swim from one region to another? do they even know that a similar habitat exists on the other side of the planet? it seems extremely risky.
>>
Really bad thread man, gonna have to downsage it.
>>
>>2410951
Ok let me break it down
>Ice age
>ancestor shark is all over, cold, happy
>oh shit it's kind of warmer
>kids move a little towards the cold spots away from equator
>shit gets hotter over time, cold spot keeps shrinking, sharks following cold spot
>now there are two poles and two groups of sharks to happened to move in that direction over generations
>>
>>2410955
nah
>>
>>2410956
but the entire planet's oceans weren't arctic levels of cold then.
>>
>>2410951
sleeper sharks aren't restricted to the poles. they are spread globally, even in tropical oceans. there's over a dozen species of them.
>>
>>2410959
i read differently. from what i gathered, sleeper sharks are only in the poles and no where else.
>>
>>2410964
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somniosidae
>The Somniosidae can be found in:
>Arctic to subantarctic waters
>Shelves in cold waters
>Continental and slopes
>Temperate and tropical waters
>>
>>2410964
Here's a range map for the Pacific Sleeper Shark.

The Southern Sleeper has similar distribution.

these animals migrate between the poles.
>>
>>2410966
He's talking about genus Somniosus, which are called sleeper sharks,
not Somniosidae, which are mostly dogfish.

please fuck off.
>>
>>2410974
dogfish are still sleeper sharks you pedantic autismo
>>
>>2410976
Yes, if you know nothing about sleeper sharks except what you read on Wikipedia 5 minutes ago you would think that.

die in a fire.
>>
>>2410917
The ice age. Same reason cheetahs and lions are found on both sides of the sahara.
>>
>>2410977
>entire family is called sleeper sharks
>genera and species belonging to this family somehow aren't sleeper sharks anymore because they carry another common name
I get your retard pride gets in the way of admitting you're wrong, but holy shit go back to school you dumb underage.
>>
>>2410951
>you guys say they swam but why swim from one region to another?
they migrate in search of food.

they do it all the time. It's normal to catch them in tropical waters and pretty much anywhere in the ocean. Because they migrate.
>it seems extremely risky.
they don't "know" anything, they migrate instinctively. Just like birds don't know what's going to happen when they fly south for the winter. They just fly.
>>
>>2410982
when someone mentions polar sleeper sharks they don't mean tropical dogfish

sorry, you're retarded.
>>
they get sucked into ballast tanks at one pole and purged at the other. this shit is obvious
>>
>>2410958
Yes they were, have you seen Ice age? Everything was balls cold and then it started melting down
>>
Sleeper shark species have a much wider range than you'd think. This is due to the fact that they inhabit deeper waters in warmer areas. Basically, the deep sea is cold enough for their liking, and their metabolism is slow enough that they can survive off of scavenging. This one for example was in deep water by Hawaii.
https://youtu.be/j8uNFOZFP4g
You hear more the arctic ones due to the fact that they have cold temperatures and a good food source in seals near the surface.
>>
File: p029bkt5.jpg (68KB, 1280x640px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
p029bkt5.jpg
68KB, 1280x640px
Greenland Sharks are so fucked up.
>>
>>2410932
You realize Sharks, expecially sleeps, have been around for hundreds of millions of years? Do you know how many Ice ages have happened since they became a thing? We literally had an Ice age not even 12000 years ago.
>>
>>2410933
Sleeper sharks are very fascinating. Why the hell does /an/ have a horde of autists that care about a boring ass deep sea rolly polly.
>>
>>2411509
>Be Greenland Shark
>Be 400 years old
>Live in cold darkness
>Have toxic piss flesh
>Eat fish sometimes
>And drowned polar bears
>Hit top speed of 2 mph
>Get harpooned by Iceland and fermented into food for drunk people
>tfw no gf
>>
>>2411561
You forgot the corkscrewing seals.
>>
How did the sleeper shark in the mariana trench get so huge?
>>
>>2411573
Deep Sea Gigantism.
>>
>>2411573
source? Never heard of it, thought they didn't dive that deep
>>
>>2411573
Grossly overestimating size to make it seem more impressive in the news.
>>
>>2411067
>he thinks the entore planet was a frozen waste during the ice age
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.