[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To dog owners out there, what do you feed your doggos? I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: pup.jpg (184KB, 963x1284px) Image search: [Google]
pup.jpg
184KB, 963x1284px
To dog owners out there, what do you feed your doggos?

I have a 9kg 5 month old pup, been giving her mostly kibble with puppy formula and 1 raw egg a day including shell. She gets a little piece of cold carrot as a treat once in a while. Wondering how I can change it up.
>>
File: archiekobifoodchartimg.png (70KB, 758x751px) Image search: [Google]
archiekobifoodchartimg.png
70KB, 758x751px
I like to rotate kibble because the chances that any one brand has the exact right balance of micronutrients is low, and if you're rotating through brands and flavours you're offering up differing balances all the time so you're unlikely to get any major deficiencies.
>>
>>2406499
jesus. she's like an anime dog. hug that bitch and never let go. also an egg a day seems much for a such a lil pup
>>
>>2406499
Hold up, I didn't read that right the first time. Puppy formula, as in, milk? She doesn't need milk at 5 months. She should've been weaned by 2 months, and in fact most dogs lose their ability to digest milk after they are weaned.

Either feed her a decent kibble intended for all life stages, or switch her to a puppy specific kibble.

Check out dogfoodadvisor.com for more information on good and bad dog food brands.

>>2406611
Egg whites can pull certain nutrients from the dog. Can't remember how but it might have something to do with how they're digested, or something they're lacking. Egg yolks can help balance the loss out, and eggshell is definitely good sources of calcium. I wouldn't feed more than one or two eggs a week, though.
>>
have a juvenile German shepherd that does farm work most days.

Morning:
2 cups dry food
1/3rd can of wet food
Few squirts of salmon oil
Tbps or so of ground flax seed

Night
Roughly 1/3lb lean beef/12 oz chicken thigh, sometimes rabbit or turkey
One cup give or take dry food
Mixed organ meats (kidneys, hearts, grizzards, beef and chicken liver, rabbit spleens
One raw egg yolk
Half cup with baby carrots, frozen blueberries, few tiny pineapple or apple chunks. Or half cup of steamed broccoli
Salmon oil and flax seed

For occasional treats: raw meat with bones and peanut butter mixed with yogurt
>>
File: puppo aint smarto.jpg (143KB, 963x1284px) Image search: [Google]
puppo aint smarto.jpg
143KB, 963x1284px
>>2406501
The selection here is extremely limited, being a Muslim country and dogs being haram and all that. Gonna give her some addons for the nutrients and stuff though.

>>2406626
Darn, I didn't know that about the puppy formula. I had her from 6 weeks old (rescue pup) and for some reason thought she should be on mothers milk until 6 months old. She does get the whole egg yeah. There seems to be a lot of arguing about how often dogs can have eggs, I'll look into the daily nutritional requirements. Trying to keep her a little underfed so she doesn't develop hip problems; she had some leg problems when little so I worry.

>>2406644
where the f do you even get rabbit spleens

frozen blueberries is a great idea, ill do that
>>
>>2406845
where are you from? in what mazhab are dogs haram?
>>
File: IMG-20170503-WA0005.jpg (137KB, 581x1032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170503-WA0005.jpg
137KB, 581x1032px
Now that it's summer I sometimes freeze a block of cow blood and give it to my doggo so he can lick on if for a few hours. He loves that shit but after he's finished he looks like he mauled someone. Pretty dope imo.
Pic related. That's him without a bloody face.
>>
>>2406501
neat chart anon. what does the color coding mean exactly? like TOTW/sierra mountain has 25% protein and it's red. does that mean it has 25% protein *after* you've deducted the protein coming from the rice, soy,wheat, oats, etc.?
>>
>>2406947
A red block means the food is unsuitable for one of the dogs. So the foods with protein in the red, the protein is too low for Kobi, and he'll just get fat on it. You will notice that only foods with 26%+ protein are green, meaning it is acceptable for both dogs.

The foods with fibre in the red, the fibre is too high for Archie, and he'll develop small intestinal dysbiosis if I feed it to him.

A food with green in all categories is fine all the time.

A food with yellow in in the kcal/cup category mean that the calories per cup are low, and the food is acceptable for use when the dogs are in a period of low exercise, usually due to illness in them or me or a period of prolonged bad weather. If I feed them a yellow kcal/cup food when they're doing significant exercise, they'll lose weight and condition unless I adjust feeding quantities significantly.

>rice, soy,wheat, oats, etc.?
Those are on the excluded list and are not found in any of the foods on this chart. See excluded and allowed ingredients lists at the bottom of the chart. Soy should be bolded, but isn't, because both dogs are intolerant to it.
>>
>>2406947
Forgot to add, the canned foods have their own colouring and I need to adjust it a little because the 10%+ protein canned foods should be green, not yellow.

Red always means: HOLD UP, one of the dogs can't have this
Yellow always means: THINK, is this the right time to feed this item
Green means: This food is always fine

I didn't really summarise that very well in >>2407136
>>
File: akfoodspreadsheet02.png (69KB, 745x750px) Image search: [Google]
akfoodspreadsheet02.png
69KB, 745x750px
>>2407142
Fixed. Grey for dry food, blue for wet food, all colours correct, soy bolded for emphasis because no one can have it.

As no one has any issue with fat content, that has been left uncoloured. If I had a dog with pancreatitis, each food would also have a red/yellow/green code dependant on fat content.
>>
>>2406499
is this the guard puppy that you saved a while back??
>>
I feed my boy raw, 80% ground beef 5% organ 15% bone
>>
live rabbits
>>
>>2406921
That's a cool idea.
>>2407181
Yes, she's doing really well now though she can't seem to run in a straight line
>>
>>2406499
Carrots are definitely good for doggos. Fish can be good too if prepared right.
>>
>>2407326
Do you mean good taste wise or health wise? My pupper liked grilled tuna. I was thinking about buying some salmon for me and giving him a chunk for a high value treat

I wish my pupper would eat carrots. It's the one thing he won't take
>>
>>2407350
Salmon is probably healthier since they don't accumulate as many biotoxins. my dog likes carrots and apparently it is a recommended part of a smol doggos diet. Then again my dog seems to enjoy anything from dry earthworms to baby squirrels
>>
>>2407350
Freeze raw salmon for two weeks minimum before feeding it to your dog. Fresh raw salmon carries vicious parasites that wreck dogs and the damage can only be mitigated with prompt veterinary care.

Properly freezing the salmon for a sufficient period of time will kill the parasites, rendering it safe for your dog to eat!

It should be noted that raw pork can also carry lethal parasites and should not be fed to dogs unless frozen for a sufficient period of time beforehand.

Do your research.
>>
>>2407376
>1: "That pork may cause you to get a tape worm."
>2: "What's the worse..."
>1: "In your brain."
>>
>>2407379
Incidentally, I know someone that happened to. She survived, but was very ill for a long time.
>>
>>2407376
Or you could just cook it...
>>
>>2407410
Eh. Theoretically. Cooking it pulls a lot of the nutritional value of the meat, though. Raw really is a lot better.
>>
Never give dry food

Before I was born my family had a recipe of third egg, rice and meat (ish) but its lost to.time

Nowadays whenever we have one we mix raw minced meat with high fat zero sugar yoghurt, Arla A38 if u can get it. I rescued a mastiff last year and fed her like this until she was old enough to eat spaghetti etc and despite being malnutritioned for 4 weeks she still got big
>>
>>2406921

How does your doggo feel about you posting nudes of him on the internet?
>>
>>2408176
Now, see, that sort of thing really depends on the nutritional needs of your particular dog, and there is nothing inherently wrong with a good quality dried food. My dog, for example, cannot have rice at all, and definitely couldn't have spaghetti, because he can't digest cereals.

He can't be fed a raw prey model diet because he can't digest bone at all, and I can't source bone meal. And I can tell you feeding a dog mince and yoghurt is not enough. It will develop deficiencies in certain micronutrients.

You have to be careful because there are all sorts of things like omega 3 and 6, taurine (for some breeds), zinc, B12, etc. that can get all out of whack and make your dog really sick.
>>
>>2408257
Well I never told him.
Please don't look for his social media and tell him that I posted this.
>>
>>2408176
>never give dry food
>here follow my bizarre fucking advice instead

nonwhite idiot
>>
stupid question, but can I feed my dog with cat food, for a few days? I live far away from the city and I either have to feed him human food or cat food until weekend which would be better for the dog?
>>
>>2408639
Cat food will be fine for a few days
>>
>>2409634
ah, cool.
btw would dry dogfood lose its nutrients or whatever if I add water to it? he eats them but only when I add up water and they soften
>>
Mostly that purina lamb and rice dry food

Im not a big fan of purinas wheat padding bullshit but the fact that theres so much real lamb in it is a balancer

Also potatos carrots green beans and any human grade meat that im not gonna use

Goats milk is a really healthy drink, expensive(5 bucks for a pint) unless you someone with a goat so i used to get it from my neighbors but then i moved so my pup only gets goat milk once a week now, still a pretty good boost for the system

I only get my dog real bones rather than that rawhide chemical treated garbage
Its tough but i go through the trouble of finding cheap chicken thighs and drumsticks and boiling them so my dog can get some meat with bone

I dont give my dog anything other than thighs and drumsticks because those bones are big enough to chew and break
>>
>>2409658
Na, my it's the same for my dog. The water brings out the flavour a bit more and makes it easier to swallow.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.