[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm watching my girlfriends hamster for a month. Holy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: hamster.jpg (45KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
hamster.jpg
45KB, 640x480px
So I'm watching my girlfriends hamster for a month.

Holy fuck it's wheel is the loudest goddamn shit in the world. What wheel do I get so I can sleep?

I put her in my closet and shes still loud as fuck, I think my roommates will complain soon.
>>
>>2392035
/an/ is a slow board

I'm not sure which is a good brand, but there are silent spinners on the market. Dig around Amazon for one with good reviews.

As for other noises, that's just what happens with them. Keep plenty of crap for them to chew on if biting on the cage is an issue.
>>
>>2392016
oil that wheel up
>>
>>2392052
It's more of the clatter, the wheel bounces on the axle

>>2392050
Aight.

Gotta do one more night of CLACKALCACKLACKACKLACKALCKLKCLKACKLAKLAKCLKCLACLAKCLAKLAKALCKALAAL
>>
>>2392054
Good luck. I had a hamster as a teen and really didn't like it. It could just be because he came from a chain pet store, but it was just an annoying little shit
>>
>>2392054
just fucking take it away at night for fucks sake
>>
>>2392073
They're nocturnal. It has to be there at night.

It'd be like not taking a dog out for walks.
>>
File: $_3.jpg (30KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
$_3.jpg
30KB, 400x400px
>>2392016
If it's a metal verticle one you might do well just to replace it.
Metal wheels aren't good for hammy's feetsies. Get something like pic related.
>>
>>2392098
My Degus ate that thing completely, no joke
>>
>>2392016
I had a hamster that, in order circumvent this problem, we placed in a running ball around the room, for a few hours before I slept. As a result, she would often spend less time on the wheel, clanking all night.

The little bastard would roll the ball into the corner of the room, so as to align the lid of the ball between the walls, and push it off. She escaped only once before we kept a vigilant eye on the fucking escape artist.
>>
>>2392016
You deal with the squeaky hammy
While Chad puts it up GF's fanny
>>
>>2392016
Petroleum jelly out of reach of taste tests. Be careful with this because it'll probably get eaten. Or a new wheel, just buy one, it's extremely difficult to find materials to make one because cups, bottles and shit slope and the animal will fly out.
Silent spinners are too fucking expensive. Check yardsales, rodent supplies are really really common.
>>
>>2392200
>giving degus anything plastic
>>
my cousin had a gerbil with a loud wheel. my grandma threw down some dry dog food in the living room. sure enough the gerbil came out to eat the dog food, and my grandma bashed him with a shovel while he was distracted.
>>
>>2392016
How about oiling the wheel you retard?
>>
>>2392888
hows he supposed to oil it when theres an hamster running on it smart guy
>>
I have a woodwheel its better for the hamster. Metal wheels can actually be dangerous.
>>
>>2392977
That sounds cool, have a picture?
>>
File: TX60922.jpg (24KB, 630x450px) Image search: [Google]
TX60922.jpg
24KB, 630x450px
>>2392980
This is the model I have.
>>
File: 1470680948783.jpg (19KB, 222x293px) Image search: [Google]
1470680948783.jpg
19KB, 222x293px
>>2392882
>>2392891
>>
>>2392985
That's a bit of work to make, I was hoping to have the image in case I could build it in the future, but the skills and tools are out of reach. Maybe I could buy a circular wood piece like that at a hardware store, the rest is easy to reproduce.
>>
>>2392989
Yeah, also if its a metal wheel the hamster has you should probably tell your girlfriend that its pretty damn bad for the hamster, they can break they're legs if they get stuck or scrape their feet if its a net metal wheel.

Just out of concern for the hamster.
>>
>>2392992
Flat surface is always better, but damn with the turd flinging, gotta build an enclosed area to keep the shit from flying across the room and sticking to your face or something.
>>
>>2392997
Haha I have never had a hamster that flings shit actually
>>
>remove wheel
>give her back her fat fucking hamster

solved ur problem op
>>
>>2392998
Just mice for me. Had a male that repeatedly marked his wheel and aired the room out with it. Six rinsings per day, never did solve the problem, ended up giving him it every other day and providing dig pits and cardboard castles to help him forget. He was fucked up, badly sourced, no learning ability. And petsmart gave him to me with mites, terrible place.
>>
>>2392992
>owned rats, mice, gerbils for 40 some years
>have relatives and school chums the same
>how many sustained injuries on wire wheels?
>answer: zilch
While I oft see the warnings and all the animal-sjw's posting on youtube about the topic, i'm really thinking the wire wheel "hazard" is overstated.. maybe even a meme?
>>
>>2392977
I read that wood stuff for hamsters just soaks up piss.
>>
>>2393885
After working at a pet store for three years that uses wire mesh wheels and seeing all of the small animals that come through us, I've never once seen an animal injured by one.
>>
>>2393885
>>2393893
I had several gerbils lose their tails to them as a kid. Back then there were no other options for wheels though
>>
>>2393893
Wire mesh wheels, nope. Horizontal bar wheels, small possibility.
They're just too dextrous and nimble to let a leg slip through and repetetive motions are really easy, so they know after a couple minutes how to navigate them.

Wheels with floors make a fucking huge mess, they're my preference but you have to enclose them or the shit and piss will fly. You do not want unfixed male mouse piss touching a wooden table, the thing will be ruined permanently by 1ml of piss.
>>
>>2393900
With gerbils I guess it makes sense. I'm in California, though, so I've never had to deal with them.

Actually, I've never even seen a gerbil IRL. Or a ferret. :(

>>2393929
Even with the wire mesh wheels, I'll frequently come in for an opening shift to see little ham turds flung against the front glass panel.
>>
>>2393945
>even with wire mesh wheels

Holy fucking shit they're evolving
>>
>>2392080
>>2392080
You can skip a walk every once and awhile. Bad weather alone would stop us on a few days a year.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.