[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

Corvids

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11

File: common_raven_2.jpg (39KB, 425x404px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
common_raven_2.jpg
39KB, 425x404px
Heard Ravens/crows are really smart. Anyone have stories/info?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXQAgzfwuNQ
>>
I feed my backyard crows. I've seen them mimicry a lot around the neighborhood, fire engines, car alarms, one made the mating calls of a squirrel at me and it took me several minutes standing around stupidly staring at the fence trying to figure out what it was trying to emulate. They're good birds, they don't poop on me or my car. Haven't seen much "intelligence" stuff other than their sheer numbers: they clearly dominate the local ecosystem. Have seen the occasional roadkill. I've had to put the brakes on for foraging crows before myself so it's foreseeable that accidents can happen...

I like other corvids too, there's a western scrub jay family in the backyard trees. I feed them both hard boiled eggs mealworms and suet with the occasional calcium source added. Calcium is very good for the wild birds, they need it the most. Oyster shell or eggshell powder can provide.
>>
>>2383453
Ravens like it when you nearly touch eyes with them and rub the coarse feathers on their beak.
>>
Apparently McDonald's fries inspire gang wars between murders.
>>
>>2383730
that story always makes me laugh.
>>
Mockingbirds are corvids right? When i lived in new mexico i had one that would fly down to my porch and land on the railing whenever i was outside and just hang out walking back and forth chattering. I used to feed him sometimes but sometimes he wouldn't want to eat and just seemed like he wanted to hang out.
>>
Mockingbirds are corvids right? When i lived in new mexico i had one that would fly down to my porch and land on the railing whenever i was outside and just hang out walking back and forth chattering. I used to feed him sometimes but sometimes he wouldn't want to eat and just seemed like he wanted to hang out.
>>
>>2383753
mockingbirds are not corvids, but they are pretty intelligent & can memorize your face
>>
Ravens figured out how to raid Ruskie ice fishing lines by walking over, pulling the string out, then standing on the string so it wouldn't fall back in and then reaching in to grab the fish.

Crows have been observed dropping nuts on road to have cars crack them open, and then returning to feed on the nuts later.
>>
Ravens are a fair amount smarter than crows, too. Of all the corvids, ravens are the smartest. Their brain volume % is typically about 2x more than a crow's when adjusted for body size.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/254704.Mind_of_the_Raven this book is excellent for this subject.
>>
once i was jogging on a gravel trail in the woods during a foggy morning in april, the leaves hadn't started to grow back yet so the scenery could be described as grey and mist. i heard a voice say behind me 'hello', i spun around quickly, only a wall of fog, i kept going, a minute later i had put it out of my mind figuring i must have imagined it when i suddenly heard it again from behind me: 'hello', this time i knew the voice was real and i sprinted a good kilometer out of adrenaline induced fear at light speed, i stopped to catch my breath momentarily, sure that i had left my pursuer in the dust, when i heard the voice from behind me again: 'hello', this time i accepted my fate, the end of the trail was very far ahead and i was out of breath, i looked behind myself only to meet my would be killer face to face, and there it was, in a tree, a fucking crow saying 'hello'
>>
>>2384186
the brisk and still air was eerily silent that day, i remember thinking 'why can't i hear footsteps, or anything for that matter?' but when you're seemingly alone in the woods and you hear voices, you don't stop to ask questions, fucking crows man
>>
>>2384186
>>2384188
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbO0Dm3f_hY
Fucking things can be creepy as shit
>>
File: Kolkrabe0.jpg (2KB, 88x120px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Kolkrabe0.jpg
2KB, 88x120px
I always knew they were very intelligent. I saw a video of them online dropping nuts in front of cars stopping at red lights in Japan. The cars would drive over the nuts, crack them open, and the crows would scoop them up after the lights turned red again. I've personally seen them take it up a notch though.
>walking down a small road in a village
>cars passing through maybe every ten minutes
>car coming in from behind, step aside, look around
>carrion crow comes swooping in, overtaking the car ~5m up in the air
>drops nut precisely in front of car tire
>car cracks it
>sits on nearby tree and waits for me to walk on
>>
My city is full of crows, rooks, magpies and jackdaws foraging and nesting together. They are all extremely intelligent. Magpies, for example, will sit on the rim of a garbage can and carefully look around. If they see no threats nearby, they'll drop in and look for food. If they see someone coming on, they'll fly away and watch from afar until the danger has passed.

Jackdaws, like most birds, go completely nuts in nesting season. They can carry branches in full-flight that are longer than their wingspan. I've also seen them do loopings and all kinds of crazy moves in mid-air. It looks like they're doing it just for fun.
>>
I used to live in a shared appartment with a balcony. My flatmates and me would sometimes put garbage bags out there if they smelled to bad but we were too lazy to take them out.
Of course, magpies and other birds figured this out very quickly. They landed on our balcony and tore everything to shreds, covering the balcony and the garden below in smelly trash.
As soon as someone would open the door - on the end of a long, dark and hard to see corridor, mind you - the magpies would stop what they were doing and get the hell out of there.

Btw, does anyone know wether carrion crows and hooded crows are separate species or different morphs of the same species? I've heared both and I don't know what's true.
>>
>>2383457
I think there's some controversy around this experiment. The NY Times published a correction stating that the final stage of the experiment, where the crows pick up the coins from off the ground, never happened during tests
>>
https://youtu.be/Q-joGtnYbDA
Crow steals spoon

http://www.yapfiles ru/show/1693121/bc0a4ddb85287c61b731bbb4a8762862.mp4.html (dot instead of space)
Crow drinks alcohol
>>
I love bluejays. They're literally the cockiest birds, like they will put aside all fear of humans because they're greedy and want peanuts from you. I feel like corvids are just smart and curious enough to get into trouble all the time but not smart enough to know to avoid it.

I could never get a crow or a raven to come to me, though. I see them pecking through trash and they let me get maybe 10 feet from them but I drop the peanuts/whatever food I have and they just fly away or ignore it. How do you do it?
>>
>>2386745
Crows are so fucking cool
How come they are so trusting though? I've never seen them come that close to humans before. Is it common to give them treats in Russia?
>>2386753
Most corvids are very cautious of humans, rightfully so. I only recently found out that the common raven is extinct in western Europe and the eastern US because people hunted them to death. They saw them as pests.
>>
File: 1495254812209.png (17KB, 746x600px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1495254812209.png
17KB, 746x600px
>>2383453
>>
>>2387540
I don't get this picture. We wuzzing implies that the group pretending to be the group in question is actually not related to them at all. In the case of birds though, they literally were dinosaurs.
>>
>>2386745
A crow once almost stole my mum's keys. It was mostly her fault, though. Shouldn't have been waving them around her.
>>
>>2387632
>the group pretending to be the group in question is actually not related to them
Memes change and morph, looking at /int/, I think it's more like "they might be related, but it's completely irrelevant".
>>
>>2386745
Hmmmm, I think a drink for free will make every wild beast playful and trustful. Of course, it was only one crow, not all of them are so friendly here.
And here it is a crow on snowboard:
https://youtu.be/IiHiw0tg9zY
>>
>>2387649
>>2387632
the meme doesn't work because birds don't give a shit about whether or not they wuz dinosaurs or not, it's all humans saying this or that..
>>
>>2387632
WE WUZ DINOSAURS
>>
>>2387540
>>
>>2384209
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAQjgC9Nl84
>>
>>2387830
>dumbshit scavenger
>beak so weak has to let other scavengers open up the flesh for him

lmao
>>
>>2388183
That is an old world vulture. New world vultures are the ones with weak beaks and talons. Vultures are also known to be smarter than other raptors.
>>
Not all corvid stories are happy

>going for a walk
>notice a fuck load of feathers on the ground
>look around to try find the fight
>see rustling in bushes
>notice young raven pumping
>go to get him and see how he is
>leg broken 180 degrees, foot wedged under wing
>walking on scarred break site
>take him to the vet
>put down almost immediately

That was a sad day /an/
>>
I was driving home on a Sunday, and saw a raven by the side of he road with a borked wing.

Stopped to check him out, tried phoning a bird rescue service because he was really alert looking besides his wonky bloody wing. Since I'm rural, and it was a Sunday, couldn't get ahold of them, and the vets were closed too. The bird rescue was more two hours away, and I didn't have a safe way to grab him.

He hopped into the woods and I couldn't do anything for him.

I felt terrible.
>>
File: blackbird.gif (421KB, 2010x1881px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
blackbird.gif
421KB, 2010x1881px
Can anyone tell me what this is specifically?
>>
>>2390565
Looks like a Carrion Crow.
>>
>>2389691
He's at peace now.
>>
>>2385974
Jackdaws are chill af. Some of them are nesting in the roofing of my neighbour’s house. Plenty of opportunities for pictures and such. Great birds.
>>
>>2383488
My face close to that beak would scare the ever loving fuck out of me
>>
Look up Old Norse or Vikings real but so-called myths place to find out info or livabox audiobook books the little bit of Truth in everything literature wise lol Pay It Forward pass it on
>>
We have ravens, crows, and magpies that are around my apartment off a busy highway.

How can I start feeding them? What are some foods good for them? How do I bring their attention to my tiny top floor balcony?

>twist: my apartment doesn't allow physical birdfeeders.
>>
>>2390592
The tail feathers are vertical on this one, not horizontal. Here's more of what I'm talking about.
>>
>>2390592
Vertical tail feathers. Every other picture of a crow I see has flat tail feathers.
>>
>>2386753

John James Audobon's writeups on the Blue Jay is so worthy of a read.

http://www.audubon.org/birds-of-america/blue-jay
>>
>>2391220
>>2391222

Where are you? This looks like a grackle, my dude.
>>
>>2391241
Las Vegas, NV
>>
>>2391241
Found it. Thank you so much!
>>
>>2391222
Great tailed Grackle, I think.
>>
a classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sICaV6VKI6I
>>
File: 4157119.jpg (133KB, 856x983px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
4157119.jpg
133KB, 856x983px
>>2383730
This one?
>>
File: 42343242234233.jpg (398KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
42343242234233.jpg
398KB, 1440x1080px
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.