[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

What dog (for when my current dog of 11 years eventually dies)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1133952_5.jpg (206KB, 640x375px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1133952_5.jpg
206KB, 640x375px
What dog (for when my current dog of 11 years eventually dies) would be good for someone who wants:
- Regular hiking of 1-5 miles/day.
- Short coat, does not require shaving/clipping.
- 75-100lbs.

I'm very experienced with dogs and have owned akitas, labs, etc. as well as worked at a kennel/assisted in professional training, so experience required/difficulty in training is not a concern.
>>
>>2339388
can goats drink dilk?
>>
Mutt with a mix of genes from the herding or sporting group probably. Unless you're thinking of going purebred from breeder?

Short coat with endurance for hiking... >german shorthaired pointer
>rhodesian ridgeback
>weimaraner
>vizsla
>>
>>2339388
Get a mink
>>
>>2339437
Nice list.
Idk about the rest, but my weimaraner sheds like crazy sometimes. He's definitely full of energy.
>>
Ca de bestiar
>>
>>2339437
Also boxers.
>>
>>2339494
This tbqh. Short haired breeds she'd like mad. My short hair basset/staffie sheds way worse than my little girlie, who has pretty long fur.
>>
>>2339494
Weimaraners in my experience are very attached to people. Won't even go out to piss with someone with it. Granted they were my aunt's and I was just dog sitting.

Despite being from different reputable breeders they all came down with issues a little early-towards mid age. Can't remember the specifics, though but they had to be on meds, specific diets, something about kidneys, their blood and eye problems, one needed some internal surgeries. Cousin also had one that got similar issues. Many thousands and thousands of dollars spent. I also remember them not knowing exactly what some were and having to take the dogs to physical therapy.

They're really soft for short haired dogs. I wouldn't have thought them to be an 'endurance' breed though.

Also seconding RR. Great dogs.
>>
>>2339437
Mixed would be fine, but I want a young dog/pup. I've had a lot of dogs and the ones I've been able to really drill on essential commands (like recall) while young are always more reliable than those I started older.

>>2339528
Don't like anything even slightly smoosh-faced.

>>2339437
>german shorthaired pointer
Too small. Lovely dogs, though. I work with a lot of them and if they were a bit bigger, I'd pick them.

>rhodesian ridgeback
Considered this, but I've not even met a single one.

>weimaraner
So-so on them. Have met a few but they all seemed just slightly neurotic, though I haven't met many.

>vizsla
Too small.

>>2339537
I hate brushing dogs with an undercoat, more so than shedding. Lab-length coat is fine, just not something like a shepherd. Long haired breeds like goldens get too tangled/matted and frustrate me as well. Same issue with burs/debris in fur for both types (though worse with golden-coat).
>>
>>2339566
Rhodesian ridgebacks are amazing dogs, very friendly and not genetically fucked. They're extremely high energy and a 5 mile hike will be fine, you can take them on longer ones.
If you don't want shedding get a mix that has poodle or Spanish water dog in it.
Have you considered large terrier breeds like a black Russian or giant schnauzer?
>>
>>2339388
Doberman
>>
>>2339805
>poodle
>schnauzer
OP requirement: does not require shaving/clipping.

Very vague description of RRs though. I don't really value "friendly" either. I'd rather them be a but standoffish to strangers, as a huge reason why I like to take a large dog with me is to act as a visual deterrent to strangers/would-be baddies. If they wag their tail and piss themselves to be patted, they aren't achieving that too well. This is why I'm reluctant to get another lab. The lab I have now has a bit of akita in him and he's a solid level of not-aggressive or skittish, nice enough if I'm interacting with people, but just standoffish/predatory enough that he will growl at someone approaching me in an odd/threatening way and ignore anyone else.
>>
>>2340047
RR's were bred to protect farms from lions
Trust me, your RR will be a massive deterrent and he WILL protect you
A dog can be friendly and be able to defend
>>
>>2340051
I don't expect a dog to defend me in a fight, so much as act as a visual deterrent.

I will look into them more though. So far the only other real consideration I've had is a malinois.

Do you know how a RR would be with small animals and livestock? I knew they were bred to combat lions, but not to protect farms from them. Would this mean they would likely do well with livestock? In the future I intend to have some free-ranging chickens, goats, and some penned rabbits. I fear a malinois would kill them the second I turn my back.
>>
>>2340057
They should do fine with livestock, especially if you get a puppy and it grows up around chickens, goats, and rabbits. It will see them as family/another part of life.

RRs are such huge strong motherfuckers that even if he is friendly with stranger he will still be intimidating
>>
>>2340067
Ah shit, did a quick google search. They have a very high prey drive. Seems the RR cant work for you then unless your chickens are cooped.

I feel like most of the dogs you want, larger and energetic, are going to have a high prey drive

Maybe you could resign yourself to that and try to train them otherwise?
>>
>>2340075
The dog wouldn't be left alone outside with them unsupervised. The dog or the chickens would be contained to a fenced area if I am not with the dog, or the dog stays inside. But something that cannot even be trusted to accompany me around the property without going apeshit for them is no-go.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.