[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are aquaponic systems actually worth it, cost, space, and labor/maintenance-wise?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: cheap-aquaponics-system.jpg (150KB, 873x572px) Image search: [Google]
cheap-aquaponics-system.jpg
150KB, 873x572px
Are aquaponic systems actually worth it, cost, space, and labor/maintenance-wise?
Would I be better off with a normal garden and/or greenhouse, and a pond for fish farming?
>>
It's worth it but you're not going to get the same fish that you would out of a pond. It really depends on your knowledge level and space and time available. Do what you've researched and know
>>
I use a much smaller system, where I have a 50 gallon aquarium with guppies. I have tomatoes growing in the filter, which I pick. I sell the guppies when they reproduce. I would agree that you should do your research.
>>
>>2329483
I would research first, but I am more interested in it for the ability to farm fish for meat, than just for the produce aspect. Guppies would be worthless to me.

>>2329472
It would be better to farm fish from a pond, year-round? This would likely be in Idaho or Montana.
>>
>>2329489
I would guess the average aquaponic system will be more efficient for fish meat but I don't know how much you actually think you're going to get unless you have dozens of systems going simultaneously
>>
>>2329558
enough to supplement, but not exist solely on. a few systems would be fine; though a dozen may be pushing it.

i should research what the fish yield would be from these, i suppose.
>>
>>2329568
To farm fish you'd need a large set up, at least 150 gallons. Tilapia and catfish are both popular ones to try. If you build a pond or a massive fucking aquarium you can do halibut and trout.
>>
>>2329579
Would these fish survive in a pond year round, in some place like Idaho or Montana? In that way I could have a good income of fish from the pond, and supplement with those from the aquaponic systems (and utilise them for the produce).
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.