[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

/ant/ general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_2956.jpg (2MB, 3024x3022px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
IMG_2956.jpg
2MB, 3024x3022px
Day 1, ants are confused as fuck, they have not stopped sucking the ground of its nutrients
>>
>>2327698
What kind of shitty formicarium is that? Did you buy it at Toys "R"us?
>>
>>2327699
Was a gag gift. I bought some ants for it.
>>
The Reich Ant Farm
identify lazy ants
make them drink (yellow) colored fluids and call them the jews
create an isolated space you can lead ants into and asphyxiate them with smoke
proceed to methodically genocide yellow marked ants

Modern Europa
if I rememberd correctly ants can be fed with meat and sugar, divide them in two colonies
one fed with brown sugar and chicken living in optimal conditions (humidity, temp...)
one fed with honey and ham living in harsh cinditions
proceed to insert ants from colony A to colony B, having them marked by the colored fluids method

Zombie epidemy
feed them mushroom spores
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=673yDK_wwkI
>>
one drop of vodka every night at the exact same hour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QovRYLftkos
see what happen, do they fight for it ?
>>
How long can ants live in things like this? Proper antfarms, not shit like OP's.
>>
>>2327748
Proper antfarms? Until the queen dies, which can potentially be many years.
>>
>>2327748
Well, a proper antfarm these days isn't grabbing some random ants up off the sidewalk. You find a fertilized queen during her nuptial flight that's ready to make her own colony and you help her do just that. If you provide the right conditions and nothing goes wrong, the colony will last as long as it's queen does, which can be up to 15 years in captivity.
>>
>>2327753
>>2327756
Will the colony adapt to the size of the farm or would overpopulation ruin everything?
>>
Has anyone tried adding sodium polyacrylate to sand for a traditional sand ant farm? I have the desire to try a traditional style antfarm but adding water to them is always difficult. Sodium polyacrylate is used by gardeners to absorb water quickly and hold water longer. I was thinking it might make it more effective for any keeping.
>>
File: 1488322345585.jpg (13KB, 320x287px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1488322345585.jpg
13KB, 320x287px
>>2327706
>>
>>2327757
Good question, I am also.interessted in the answer
>>
>>2327757
You might be interested looking up Ants Canada on YouTube. He seems to have to upgrade his farms every so often, and his are fucking huge. However I don't know if it's through necessity or from wanting a larger colony.
>>
>>2327757
>>2327792
Ants primarily regulate their population based on food, not space. If for some reason you do allow them to outgrow the nest, they will usually start trying to escape. If you're not willing to expand their nest at that point, you need to cut back on food and possibly lower the temperature a few degrees to slow down the development of the brood.
>>
I'm thinking about making a large picture-frame farm and mounting it on the wall, framed and all. I gotta figure out the forage setup, it could hang from a "shelf" or use a series of tubes to lead to a forage tank sitting next to it on an aquarium stand.
>>
I'm interested in starting up an ant farm, is there a tutorial/starter kits somebody could link me to?
>>
>>2328009
Ants Canada's guides on his Youtube channel are really legit as are his products -
http://www.antscanada.com/shop/all-you-need-omni-starter-gear-pack/
You might look at his formicariums that are species specific, but that choice is mostly going to be about what ants are available in your area,
>>
How do you even capture a queen?
Could you buy one that's hibernating and kept cold until you drop her in your antfarm?
>>
If you have the right kind of ants, can you just drop aphids and mushrooms, and watch them domesticate and grow them?
>>
Right, one last dumb question. Suppose you have a species that lives in your area, if you get tired of it, would the ants move on their own from their farm to digging a new colony if dropped outside?
>>
File: sessile.jpg (246KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
sessile.jpg
246KB, 1024x683px
>>2328023
Mikey's videos are good for beginners. However, I wouldn't recommend his products. They're not bad quality, but they are overpriced.
>>2328075
To catch a queen you need find out when they fly. Some species are easier to catch than others.

You can buy queens, but the market for queen ants is still pretty primitive and there are legal complications if you're in the US. I recommend just catching them yourself. Given that May-August is the prime time for catching queens, it's not much of a wait.

Also, when you catch a queen, you keep her in a test tube setup until the colony has 20+ workers. Then you move them into the nest. Putting a queen alone into a nest will likely kill her.
>>2328078
Aphids require very specific care, so they'll usually die before the ants can do much with them. Fungus is a dangerous thing to introduce to a nest, so I would think mushrooms would be a bad idea. I have heard of ants farming moss though.
>>2328081
Yes, they'll usually adapt just fine. However, it's a controversial topic due to the effect on local environments. If you're not overly attached, it's safer to freeze the colony.
>>
>>2328086
Oh, I thought I remembered something about ants growing fungus on their own for food.

>local environment
How is that a problem if you catch a local queen?
>>
>>2328087
You're thinking of leafcutter ants, Atta and Acromyrmex, which cut leafs to feed a fungus in their nest, which they eat. I wouldn't recommend these species for beginners.
>>
>>2328087
>Oh, I thought I remembered something about ants growing fungus on their own for food.
Yes, some do but which ants and which fungii?
>How is that a problem if you catch a local queen?
Because the species is not necessarily native.
>>
I haven't had an ant farm since I was a kid, and I'd really like to set one up. Any suggestions as to where to order one?
>>
File: texana.jpg (84KB, 797x600px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
texana.jpg
84KB, 797x600px
>>2328087
>How is that a problem if you catch a local queen?
Some people worry about diseases and parasites spreading when a colony is released. It's technically possible, but not all that likely. The main concern is how it affects the local ant colonies. Ants have defined territories and releasing a colony will upset that balance. One or more colonies will suffer because of it.
>>2328095
Tar Heel Ants is fairly popular. Their products are bit overpriced, but nice if you like a naturalistic style. AntKit is another popular option. Their prices are pretty fair and their nests are attractive if you're into the clean acrylic look. It's also not that hard to make one. It won't look super professional, but it'll usually be much cheaper.
>>
>>2328297
Thanks! I'll check them out. Are there any species that you'd recommend for a beginner?
>>
>>2328388
Basically you might as well try any species you can catch. young ant queens can be fussy and sometimes will die for no obvious reason. Catch what you can and multiple if possible. The pavement ant, Tetramorium, is probably the easiest common species in North America.
>>
File: agracilipes.jpg (158KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
agracilipes.jpg
158KB, 1024x683px
>>2328388
Pretty much what >>2328392 said. Tetramorium is probably the best beginner species. You can catch plenty of queens and the colonies grow quickly.
>>
>>2328424
Got it. I guess I can look at Youtube vids on how to catch queens, but I moved from the south where there are a shitton of ants to a state where there are no ants (Colorado). I'll be moving to a house in the spring, so maybe I'll see more of them when it warms up.
>>
>>2327700
You are essentially torturing those ants by sticking them in that shitty gel poison
>>
File: neoniger.jpg (193KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
neoniger.jpg
193KB, 1024x682px
>>2328673
For Colorado, Lasius neoniger might be a good species to research. They're a good beginner species and they usually nest in open areas like fields and yards.
>>
dude if youre gonna do ants go to tarheel ants and get a real man's formicarium
>>
>>2327711

>that ant at the end

kek my mans fucked up
>>
I really want to breed a red ant colony and a black ant one, then connect them together via a tube, place some honey and roaches in the middle, and watch the war.

Am I a bad person?
>>
>>2328086
>You can buy queens, but the market for queen ants is still pretty primitive and there are legal complications if you're in the US
>there are legal complications if you're in the US
wat.
how the fuck are there legal complications?
>>
>ant farms cost like 10$ from national geographic store
>me and mate buy like 5 each
>connect mine together and make one big one (he does the same)
>dig up a bull ant nest at my house (eggs and all score)
>do the same at his house
>let them grow for about 4 months
>100-200 ants in each colony
>build a mini colosseum
>feed ants redbull with their normal sugar water shit
>they go mental
>connect each cage to the colosseum
>watch these bull ants go fucking mental and tear eachother apart.
>my queen dies but I still have ants left running around
>mates queen dies of a heart attack or some shit
>50 or so ants left in the main arena now
>drop a redback spider in there
>ants kill it
>drop a wasp in
>ants kill it
>drop scorpion in
>ants lose (lots of them looked like they died from heart attacks but yea the scorpion finished them off)
there were like 20 of us sitting around watching sinking beer and having a good laugh, we streamed it to the big screen tv outside as well. would definitely recommend you try this for some quality entertainment
>>
>>2329680
things that never happened for 200
>>
>>2329556

>Am I a bad person?

Yes. Yes, you are.
>>
>>2329676
Because ants can become an invasive species. A significant portion of "local" ants in North America aren't even native.

And yes, even something as "trivial" as ants can be a huge risk to eco systems because ants pollinate flowers just as much as bees do.
>>
>>2329680
I hope you die a slow and painful death.
>>
>>2328687
So? They're ants. Nasty little things they are. I'd rather let spiders live in my house than ants.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.