[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New reptile tanks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170214_105047930.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170214_105047930.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Tanks are all done and just waiting for a few finishing touches to arrive in the mail but otherwise it's complete (hammock being replaced with lizard lounger and the box underneath will be replaced by a large cork bark tunnel for a more natural look)

The tanks are converted IKEA cabinets, and I think they turned out pretty good.

Picking up the bearded dragon for the top next monday, and my leopard gecko has already moved into the bottom part.

The dragon is also getting a proper tube uv light, the one in the pic is just for lighting purposes.

What do you think?
>>
>>2316965
Why no sand tho?
>>
Because sand is nasty and neither beardies or leopard geckos should be on it. They live in Rocky deserts not sandy ones. Not to mention beardies love to run, and sand makes it harder to do that.

It's also like cat litter and absorbs all the nasty fluids from their crap. So if you wanna keep is clean you have to constantly change it. And that gets expensive.

Also seen some nasty impaction problems with both Leo's and beardies and even tho a healthy one shouldn't have any issues. Depending on the personality it'll still injest way too much, or you can't tell if or when it will get sick so no point of risking it.

I see 0 pros to having sand in a tank unless a species needs it (like sand fish skinks)
>>
>>2316971

isnt the natural habitat of a beardie sand tho? also cleaning the sand with a scoop seems to be okay. And if you have cacium sand indigestion shouldnt be much of a problem. other than that. fair enough. nice tanks mate
>>
Cool setup OP, how much did it end up costing? Cheaper than buying used enclosures?

>>2316976
No, most of the sandy areas they live on is compact, not loose crap. Also calcium sand is more dangerous than even normal sand is.
>>
>>2316978
Fair enough. why is it more dangerous tho? just curious
>>
>>2316980
Calcium sand messes with their digestive system and neutralizes their stomach acid. Antacids are basically pure calcium tablets so it's a similar effect. They do need a bit of calcium in their diet, but with the sand it usually ends up being too much and they won't be able to digest their food well anymore.
>>
>>2316978
Cost me around 100 euros. The shelves where 60together and a lot of the vents and runners where pretty much free. Then the glass was new and cost like 30 all together. Then some extra costs for the silicone and small bits.
Was definitely worth it.
>>
>>2316998
But they dont eat heaps of sand do they
>>
>>2317000
Not on purpose. But reptiles likes beardies and leos use their tongue to explore their surroundings, so they'll lick the sand, it gets stuck, and they injest it. So yeah they injest a lot of it by accident, especially chasing after insect prey.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.