[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Extra juicy! | Home]

Help I Work at PetSmart/PetSmart general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: r_145567_t9A88.jpg (356KB, 750x674px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
r_145567_t9A88.jpg
356KB, 750x674px
So I was really desperate for a new job and I somehow landed a petcare/cashier position at my local PetSmart.

Problem is that I know next to nothing about fish and birds and my only animal experience is with dogs, bunnies, and a single mouse I once owned. I guess during my interview, that's all the experience they were looking for and considered me good enough to work there. Also I was coming from a doggy day care and boarding facility and I impressed the manager during the interview with my knowledge on dogs.

But small animals is what I'm going to be working with, and unless it's about bunnies I won't be able to help anyone. Sure they're gonna train me to do all the specific tasks but I won't be able to answer any specific questions that anyone has or help teach them much about their animal.

The last thing I want to be is that stereotypical stupid PetSmart employee who knows nothing about the animals they're selling and give dumb advice to the customers. Even if I'm not "required" to be this all-knowing pet guru, I still feel like it's my responsibility to at least know more than what is considered common knowledge for what we sell here.

What do I do? Just google all the animals we have and soak up the info like a sponge? Hang out in the "Pocket Pets general" thread and read every post? I'm sure over time I'll learn everything I need to know, but I don't want to wait that long.
>>
>>2316855
Also if anyone works or has worked at PetSmart, what are some common questions people ask and how do you answer them?
>>
You have to be 18 to post here
>>
File: 1449109820722.jpg (21KB, 500x333px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1449109820722.jpg
21KB, 500x333px
>>2316877
Th-thanks.
>>
>>2316884
Sorry ;_;
I'm an asshole don't listen to me. If you have the desire to be the best and knowledgeable person in the store you will. Caring for animals isn't hard and doesn't really require a bunch of specialized knowledge. Do a little studying on your own time and read care sheets and forums for the animals you want to know more about. You won't be an expert over night but it won't take long. Curiosity is a valuable trait.
>>
>>2316898
Haha it's ok. I actually expected such a response on 4chan. You were just doing your duties sir.

And thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I just hope I can learn enough BEFORE they send me out on my own to help customers without supervision. Sure I could always ask for help from someone who knows more (the people there are surprisingly knowledgeable) but I don't want to rely on that and waste everyone's time.

I guess I'm used to working in a place where I knew more about animals than the people around me. This is the first time it's been the other way around. I mean every time we talked about dogs, I mentioned something they already knew. Rabbits are my only trump card for now, I guess.

...shit I ramble.
>>
>>2316855
Training for petcare is two hours of half-true videos about basic shit and weekly <sponsored content> videos from whatever company is sucking corporate's dick at that moment.

Do you mean you're specifically working with small mammals? Guinea pigs and hamsters and whatnot?
Make sure the guinea pigs and chinchillas have hay, change out food dishes if any animals relieved themselves in them, and isolate any animals that get injured or are ill. Read up wet tail (hamsters), ringworm (guinea pigs), and respiratory issues (guinea pigs and chinchillas). Our mice never get sick, but one got picked on once.
If you're store sells gerbils or ferrets I can't help you there. California says I'll never get to see one anyway.

Also,
>Just google all the animals we have and soak up the info like a sponge?
Yes, and
>Hang out in the "Pocket Pets general" thread and read every post?
Yes

>>2316856
>why do my fish keep dying?
>you have too many fish and you don't change the water enough
>excuse me I've had fish for years and I've always kept this many together and I never had to change the water
>yeah and they keep dying, huh?
>is there someone else I can talk to?

>my turtle's cage is filthy, is there something I can put in the water to clean it?
>you have to change the water
>but I just changed it three weeks ago
>you need to change it twice a week if you want it to stay clean

>do you ever get baby turtles in?
>its illegal to sell turtles under four inches in the US
>do you know where else I could go to get one?
>even if I did, it's illegal to sell them

>how many goldfish can i keep in a bowl?
>as many as you want, but they won't live very long

>do you have any allergy eaters? my tank has too much allergy
>*stifled laughter*
>>
>>2316855
Person on their way to vet school specializing in small exotics here. Would it be useful for me to give you some really basic care sheets on small all animals they have there? I've kept pretty much everything you could find in a petsmart unless you've got some wild shit. I would love to arm a petsmart associate with the knowledge necessary to scare people off from shoving 4 teddy bear hamsters in a fishtank or whatever the hell kids do these days.
>>
>>2317324
>Would it be useful for me to give you some really basic care sheets on small all animals they have there?
Not OP but yes please.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.