[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best apartment dog breed ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: dog-sleeping-on-couch-web-sized.jpg (114KB, 432x288px) Image search: [Google]
dog-sleeping-on-couch-web-sized.jpg
114KB, 432x288px
I'm 22 years old living in a relatively small apartment and wanna buy a dog. What would be the best breed for me and why ?

I have the proper time to care for the dog and take him/her for several walks a day. Always wanted a companion dog. :)
>>
Living in smaller apartment aswell, got myself a Shiba Inu. They are harder breed to train. Great companion dogs, but its not the best idea to have them around children as they dont like noise. Gotta train them from the start as they can become nightmare later on.
>>
>>2315828
Rescue a senior dog or google apartment breeds. You could've just googled it, but whatever. Since you're not likely to, I'll go ahead and suggest greyhounds. Since greyhound racing is still legal in most places, there's a lot who need homs. Great apartment dogs as long as you're willing to take them to a park to run off leash frequently. They are very, very low energy, but have to get the zoomies out of their system.
>>
>>2315828
Basset hounds, or greyhounds like the other anon said
Bichon frise also good for small places
>>
>>2315828
grey hound
>>
Different anon here with a similar question, figured I'd ask here.

Living in an appartment and I'm looking into getting a dog, which breeds should I look into?

Preferably: pretty large, affectionate, not retarded, a dog that I don't have to worry about running off the second he/she is outside. It would also be living with another dog for a couple of years.

Currently looking at Labs, any other suggestions?
>>
OP here.

I was thinking about some breeds in particular :

- Beagle
- English Bulldog
- Maltese
- Cocker Spaniel

Any negatives for these ones ?
>>
>>2315874
beagles are very loud
>>2315869
Corgi
>>
>>2315874
>>2315874
Beagles bark a lot and they're high energy. English bulldogs are torture bred, but if you're fine with supporting animal abuse and have enough money to pay for its health issues they're great low-energy apartment dogs. Astoundingly retarded, too. I assume cocker spaniels are high energy -- they're hunting dogs. Don't know anything about maltese dogs and I haven't met any.
If you were just going to ignore everyone's suggestions and pick dogs randomly, why'd you make a thread? Since these dogs have nothing in common, it sounds like you're just picking based on what's cute to you.
>>
>>2315878
I'm not ignoring suggestions. I'm taking notes here. I just asked about those other breeds cause I wanted to know what you guys think of dogs I was already considering. :)
>>
>>2315828
Seriously, why the fuck is every 20 something who just moved out of their parents basement stuck in the "I NEED A SPESHUL PUREBRED DOG 2 LIV IN AN APARTMENT" Mindset? You don't need a purebred and you probably can't afford a good breeder if you're 22 and living in an apartment. Just go on petfinder or go meet dogs and scope out their personality. Most of the people who make these threads just ignore everyone's suggestions and buy a german shepherd off craigslist or something anyway -- I just don't get it.
>>
>>2315877
Yeah I've looked into Corgi's a bit and they definately are what I'm looking for in terms of intelligence and mannerism, but they're a little on the small size. Any other breeds you can name to look into? I'll probably end up with a list of 2-4 breeds and then go around to different breeders and interact with them before I make my decision.
>>
>>2315843

Basset Hound is one of my dream dogs. How are they in terms os training and temperament ?
>>
>>2315883
Man, what the fuck ? Don't judge me like that. I'm researching apartment dogs and that's why (and only fucking why) I had some other breeds to consider that were not suggested by you guys.

I'm pro animal rights and really wanted to adopt, but my shitty mom says she only allows dogs that she can research, look at the parents. She has this ridiculous fear of some stray puppy turn into some kind of hell Clifford.
>>
>>2315828
Why not adopt? What's the point of a purebred puppy?
>>
>>2315886

I'll do the same. But mostly because I live in fucking Brazil and we don't have that much disponibility of purebreed dogs for an affordable price.
>>
>>2315892
My mom.

1) She is materialist and futile.
2) She wants to know what she's putting in her home. Stray puppies can "overgrow" or "overshed", etc. A purebreed can be pre-researched.
>>
>>2315891
>>2315896
...You live in your mom's apartment at 22? Not even a house, jesus. Now I'm judging you.
I wasn't judging you, I was legitimately questioning why you and other people so frequently act like they NEED a purebred dog. If you really wanted to help animals, you shouldn't adopt a puppy anyway. They always get adopted. It's the senior dogs who die alone in a shelter when their owners get bored of them. Puppies are always unpredictable regardless of their breeding, especially when they're raised by people like your mother. Also, I would suggest you run the breeders through this board, too. I don't imagine Brazil has a wonderfully high standard for dog breeders.
>>
basically here's what you don't want

>herding breed
too hyperactive/crazy and it's not nice to keep them cooped up. yes corgis are herding breeds

>hounds
too fucking loud

>mastiffs/bully breeds
they actually can do okay if excersised properly but are unfortunately on many banned breed lists

>huskies/malamutes
same issues with herding breeds, except worse and again on many banned breed lists

>shepherds like GSDs
banned breed lists and very labor intensive dogs

toy breeds in general are best for apprtment living, especially a small one. but if you absolutely have to get a large dog then sighthounds and Great Danes are usually the best large apprtment dogs. or you could do the sensible thing and adopt an adult dog who already shows the behavior of being a good apprtment dog

>>2315891
>my shitty mom says she only allows dogs that she can research, look at the parents
if you're moving into an apprtment, why the hell does your mom get to decide what you do? That's the bigger question here dude
>>
>>2315899
Man, the title of the thread says I live in an apartment. .-.

I will look for greyhounds and basset hounds. And you're right. Brazil fucking sucks.
>>
>>2315905

About the bullies and mastiffs : many friends of mine recomended the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Don't really know if it's a great idea, but the one's I've seen were pretty cool and looked like they had the kind of temperament I was looking for.

What do you think about this breed in particular ?
>>
>>2315907
Lots of people live in apartments, but not with their mom at the age of 22.
I would not suggest basset hounds for apartments. I don't imagine your neighbors will appreciate the constant baying and barking. Greyhounds are the opposite -- they're usually pretty quiet.
>>
>>2315907
>greyhounds and basset hounds
Just because they both have "hound" in the name doesn't make them the same. Bassetts are loud as fuck and hounds like them in general and bad apprtment dogs

greyhounds are sighthounds which are an entirely different groups of breeds and typically considered good apprtment dogs. they do tend to be large though

>>2315913
>Staffordshire Bull Terrier
I personally like them, very people friendly but like many bully breeds have a tendency to be dog-aggressive if you don't make sure to socialize them. but I still wouldn't recommend them because they're typically banned for being "pitbulls"

honestly my recommendation would be not getting a dog until you move out of your mother's place
>>
>>2315927
Oh, I know they're not the same. And about the barking, I don't really mind it, so a guesse it wouldn't be a problem. I had a Yorkshire terrier that used to bark a lot, so I'm pretty much used to it.

My top choice would be a Whippet, the medium size greyhound.

About the Staffordshire, I really liked the ones I met, but don't know if my mom would want a Pitbull-like dog. I'll see.
>>
>>2316062
two things

1) the problem with them being loud isn't about you tolerating it, but your neighbors and landlord. I've seen many hounds surrendered because people's neighbors complained about the noise too much and they had to get rid of the dog

2) if you're mom is as petty as she sounds she may get irritated and not tolerate having a dog that makes such annoying noises constantly

Move the hell out then get your own dog
>>
>>2315874
I can't speak for the others, but beagles and bassets love to bark. Scenthounds in general are loud and stubborn.

Greyhounds are great apartment dogs.
>>
>>2315834
How are golden retrievers energy wise for a small apartment?
>>
Brazilian here too. Don't get a breed dog, breeders here are fucked up and 90% of them will come sick and weird unless you have the money to pay for a healthy, good one, which I believe you don't since you're depending on your mom for money (not judging, I do too). Either get a shelter puppy and take your fucking time to train it properly instead of expecting a perfect breed, there is none. Also move out if you wanna choose your own dog.
>>
>>2316194
High-energy but mostly loving and adorable, take your time to train them properly and exercise them and you're good to go.
>>
>>2315833
Weird, mine loves children.
>>
File: Brittany.jpg (181KB, 840x520px) Image search: [Google]
Brittany.jpg
181KB, 840x520px
I'm curious too about what I should get.

I'm a relatively active person, I go on a run every day and I'm living right close to a college campus. I've really wanted a Brittany for a while, I think it's a beautiful breed, and one of my neighbors has one in an apartment similar to mine.

To give you an idea, I have a relatively large apartment, full kitchen and living area on the bottom floor, two bedrooms with full baths on the top floor (share with a friend).
>>
>>2316654
My Brittany would probably do okay in an apartment, but she needs to go to the dog park every couple days to run, socialize, and explore. She gets bored a lot and whimpers even then.

Has anyone warned you about the seperation anxiety? She's nuts about being left alone.

I feel pretty as that I'm not a hunter. She would probably make a great bird dog, and has a lot of drive. Pic related, she's letting me know theres a pair of cardnials in the yard.
>>
>>2316722
I've heard of the anxiety issues, though fortunately I've never heard my neighbors Brittany be too loud. As a college student I have a lot of free time when not in class/studying so I'm not worried about the time commitment.

I live in the South and I've gone Pheasant hunting a few times. No shotgun to go and none of my close friends are hunters either. But I would definitely consider taking mine to a school or teaching them myself if I got one and my Dad felt like he'd want to go out with them enough (assuming I get a job relatively close to home in North Carolina I could just leave them at my parent's house after I graduate while working, though I'd rather have them wherever I go).
>>
>>2315874
Beagles have the energy to chase a fox across the countryside for hours. Can you keep up wit that.
Bulldogs are excellent but do your research and get a proper one not a hideously over bred over the top one.

I'd go with anons suggestion of a grey hound. They will sit in your lap too.
English mastifs are low energy but massive. And they can smell a bit doggy. And they drool. But they're wonderful
>>
>>2315887
Stubborn and very strong
>>2316194
Seriously?

Staffs used to be god tier pub dogsthen everyone ruined them by mutting them with pit bulls.
>>
>>2315887
Somewhat hard to train, Stubborn. But all of your hard work pays off and they become good doggos.
They are very chill too.
>>
>>2315869
Labs are not an apartment breed, people always think of those sweet, gentle, quiet labs that you see on tv but they are bred specifically for hunting so are high energy, especially as puppies.

I think you should consider rescuing an ex-racing greyhound because they don't get considered enough but honestly you haven't given enough information for us to give real suggestions.

>Your activity level
>How often you are away from home/how much time do you spend at home?
>When you say big, what are you talking?: Mastiff sized? Rottie sized? etc.
>What animals does it HAVE to get along with? (No use getting an animal with strong prey drive if you have a rabbit)
>>
File: IMG_20160910_225827_01.jpg (364KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160910_225827_01.jpg
364KB, 1536x2048px
I'll ask in this thread as well. I love the idea of rescuing a greyhound, how much do they normally cost? Also the only caveat is that I'm out of the house from 6:40am-5:20pm, are their bladders strong/reliable enough for that? If not (and if that's not reasonable for any dog), what's the biggest apartment dog that could make use of a pad?

I had a border collie back with my folks, 14 years old but we had to put her down last summer. Iirc her bladder was good for 10 hours or so, maybe longer.

>pic semi-related, my little miss Molly, RIP
>>
>>2315834
>take them to a park to run off leash
They can get lost easily like that though, they just get carried away running and don't come back when called.
Also you're gonna need to get it a sweater for winter and make sure you can keep them fresh in summer, they can be rather delicate with that.
Lastly, make sure you don't have its food and water on the floor, have it on a slightly higher surface so they don't have neck/back/shoulder pain. And get it a nice bed, since they like sleeping a lot.
>>
>>2319303
Bumping for this, I don't want to make my own thread
>>
If you like greyhounds, why not an Italian greyhound? They're basically a mini version of greyhounds and could fit better in an apartment. Have you ever considered something like a Boston terrier? They are the greatest lapdogs I can think about. The only downside is they fart a lot, but it can be fixed with a proper diet.
>>
Havanese are great little dogs. I had one when I lived in an apartment, he didn't seem to mind at all. They do have some energy, but a walk when I got home burned most of it off, then we were perfectly content just hanging out. Not much of a barker (at least mine wasn't), and good with other animals. He trained fairly well too, needed a bit more patience then with some other dogs I've had but once he had it, he had it.

Look into this breed OP, was my favorite mutt for sure
>>
>>2319303
Please help /a/
>>
I live in an apartment next to a small dog park and a 10 minute walk away from a massive, amazing dog park.

Assuming I made it habit to take the dog out for at least one hour a day, does breed even matter? Even if I got a dalmatian couldn't I just run it into the ground for an hour or so and have it sleep and lay around when it gets home?

Or am I really limited to awful, shitty little dog breeds. Ideally I want something at least 30lbs.
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibetan_Spaniel?wprov=sfla1
Tibbys are god tier apartment dogs. Mines chill as fuck except around Mexicans ( he was abused on a farm as a pupper by some). Always down for walks but loves to lay on the back of the couch and the arms of chairs. Very catlike breed and will lick your face off when excited.
>>
>>2319303

I just bought a border collie pup yesterday.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.