[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've had the same group of chickens for nearly three years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

I've had the same group of chickens for nearly three years now (five hens, one rooster), and none of the hens have ever shown any interest in sitting on their eggs. They could hatch them if they felt like it, it's been warmer than February weather should be. Are my chickens just retarded? Should I get an incubator? I'd like to raise them myself though, not sure I'd trust the hens to do so properly due to their apparent lack of brain cells.

Too dark to get a picture of my chickens, so you get some cute eaglets instead.
>>
>>2310217
My mom figured this one out. She used to put a golf ball in the nests where they slept, before they started laying. Then they just got in the habit of sitting there with eggs.

Might be too late to try this, idk.
>>
>>2310217
Some hens never go broody. It's a disposition thing; it can vary by breed and even individual. Are you not leaving the eggs in the nest and are you sure the eggs are fertile?
Incubators are definitely the most efficient way to hatch them, but also the most effective.
>>
>>2310431
I've tried giving them a chance by leaving the eggs, with no luck. I'm pretty sure they're fertile, my rooster's a real player. I will try an incubator if nothing happens this spring, when it really warms up
>>
>>2310463
It may be an issue of location if you're letting a bunch of eggs collect with no results. Hens prefer a dark, quiet, safe place to nest. Curtains in front of the nesting box help some hens go broody. What breed are they?
Again, though, incubators are easier. If you have the money, just get one.
>>
>>2310476
Two orpingtons, and three road island reds counting the rooster.
>>
>>2310507
>Road island

I didn't know I was this retarded
>>
>>2310507
Buff Orps are one of the broodiest breeds, so if they're not going broody, it may be something you're doing. Some hens go broody constantly no matter what you do, but most are picky about nesting conditions. RIRs are like most breeds; they're hard-pressed to go broody due to the fact that broody hens are no longer necessary and rarely used in hatcheries.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.