[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can reptiles love?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

Can reptiles love?
>>
No.
>>
Yes.
>>
>>2308209
This.
>>
Only the way you lie.
>>
File: crocodile-and-baby.jpg (237KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
crocodile-and-baby.jpg
237KB, 1280x960px
Crocodilian mothers take care of their young, so make of that what you will.
>>
>>2308220
Many fish do as well, but it's obviously instinctual as they don't care when one dies.
>>
>>2308222
>as they don't care when one dies.
And you know this how?
>>
>>2308199
I don't know, but I love them.
>>
>>2308222
Just because they don't have the mental capacity to notice when one dies does not mean they don't care about them when they're alive.

Also caring for your offspring is always instinctual.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXv-KIDxjlY
>>
>>2308199
No. There's a reason why so few people care about them in turn. They are just barely a step above insects.
>>
>>2308222

>it's obviously instinctual

Oh, whoop-de-doo.

I guess that means they don't have magickal fairies living in their heads. Unlike us humans, right?

Because our emotions aren't instinctual. They're caused by magickal fairies like Navi, Tinkerbell, and "free will"?
>>
>>2308385
>They are just barely a step above insects
As far as becoming emotionally attached to you or 'loving' you, I agree.
As for intelligence? Only a moron would think repltiles are equally or less intelligent than insects. They are much smarter.
>>
>>2308199
No, although this doesn't mean they don't make fantastic pets, as they do. If I could only keep one of my pets I would choose my snake over one my two cats or fish.
>>
>>2308403
>magick
A-aleister?!
>>
Ask the tegus who consistently chose being with their owner over food.
>>
>>2308470
Motherfuckers snapped my dog's tail. Granted the dog was retarded and loved to chase them.
>>
File: IMG_20170130_162409.jpg (1MB, 2026x2745px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170130_162409.jpg
1MB, 2026x2745px
Love as we humans define it? No.

Reptile love based on each individual species? Maybe.

It all depends on how you quantify love and how their brains (more primitive) react as well as their behaviors.

If you try to compare human love or more advanced/mammalian brains to a reptilian one it's not going to work even if you draw some lines based on brain structure and sectors.

Eh, I think some can show affection and have pleasure to us and the stimulation we provide but I don't think they form bonds that will transcend their limitations.

Great pets and I "know" some are fond of me (or what I represent: heat, food, comfort) and others don't.

Anthropomorphize all you need to as long as it doesn't hurt your animal or sway others to put themselves or their animals at risk.

Just my two uncited cents via personal experience.
>>
File: IMG_0818.jpg (986KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0818.jpg
986KB, 2592x1936px
>>2308199
My iguana gives me kisses
>>
>>2308199
No they dont have the part of the brain that produces oxytocin which is the chemical that makes emotions like love, compassion, and trust possible in the first place.
>>
>>2308814
Does this include birds?
>>
>>2308821
No
Birds are on par with mammals in all regard
>>
They can love food
>>2308756
My iguana has been jumping out of his cage onto my shoulder/back everytime I check on him for the last few months, it scared the shit out of me the first few times because hes like 2' svl and 6+ stl
>>
>>2308199
Only Tegus.
>>
wait so.... my turtles don't love me?
>>
They need to trust their owners for survival so in a way they do love. It's no different from a child's way of love though
>>
>>2308814
What if i inject oxytocin into reptile?
>>
>>2308814
This doesn't prove anything though.
Even then you are wrong, oxytocin plays a role in emotions but does not "make them possible".
>>
>>2309212
What if you inject diesel into your brain? Will it suddenly work like a car engine?
>>
>>2308199

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiliqua_rugosa

>T. rugosa is a viviparous skink, giving birth to broods of one to four relatively large offspring.[4] Unlike most lizards, the species tends to be monogamous extending outside the breeding season of September through November; such pairs have been known to return to each other every year for up to 20 years.[4][13]
>Soon after birth, the young immediately consume their afterbirth.[4] They stay with their parents for several months before moving on, but they remain in close proximity, forming a colony of closely related skinks.[4]
>The male of a monogamous pair eats less while parenting, remaining alert and ready to give an alarm.[4]

https://www.reddit.com/r/likeus/comments/4pst8x/shingleback_lizard_refuses_to_leave_dead_mate/?st=iyn2w6vu&sh=5449f048
>>
>>2309266
>literal reddit kid doesn't understand the topic of the thread
not surprising at all
>>
>>2308385
they don't do human emotions because they are mostly solitary and never had an evolutionary use for them. they are still smart though
>>
>>2308385
>Implying insects can't feel.
>>
>>2308220
It's imbedded in them to do so. It preserves the species because they'd do real shitty on their own. It's nothing to do with maternal love. It's simply keeping the species alive.
Not to say they can't love it's just they're more likely not to love.

I do like that story of the dude with his gator pal that he cuddled and swam with though.
>>
>>2308403
And now you've got me picturing the personification of free will as a fairy named Will. Thanks.
>>
>>2309401
>It's imbedded in them to do so. It preserves the species because they'd do real shitty on their own.
But this is the reason maternal love exists in humans, isn't it? How is it different?
>>
>>2309281
>linking reddit means you're from reddit

9gag is that way kiddo
>>
>>2308482
/thread
>>
>>2309401
that's human mother love to idiot. do you think your parents would love you if you were just a stranger they met?
>>
>>2310295
That's called adoption.
>>
>>2310320
Underrated post
>>
Maybe.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.