[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Doggo Recomendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: 1444953624108.jpg (79KB, 417x562px) Image search: [Google]
1444953624108.jpg
79KB, 417x562px
Hey, /an/, /k/out/ here. I was hoping you could help me out. Me and my girlfriend are planning on moving in with each other sometime soon, and when we do we would like to get a dog after we get settled in. We both currently have dogs at our parents houses, but we have decided not to bring them so we don't separate them from our other dogs. She, however, is bringing her cat, so its kind of understood that getting a dog is going to be my thing. However, I have concerns about what breed to get. Mainly, what breed would be best suited for dealing with the seasons where we live (southern middle Tennessee). I'd like a large breed for sure, as any dog that weighs less than 50 lbs is a cat and we'll already have one of those. Ideally, I'd like something that would be able to tolerate both the summer and winter weather and would be able to go with us when we go /out/. Also, I'd like something that would be able to scrape by if something terrible was to happen and we were no longer around to look after it. I'm not planning on dropping it off on the side of the road somewhere if it doesn't work out or anything like that, but I would like to know that if something catastrophic does happen, our dog could possibly be able to survive without us.
>tldr: what are my options for best SHTF doggo?
>>
First breed that came to mind was a German short-haired pointer.

Eager to please, athletic, loyal, and a short, low maintenance coat. They're also great hunting companions, if you're in to that
>>
>>2308026
Not bad. Defiantly aesthetic. Wow tolerant are they to the cold and wet?
>>
>already has dogs you no longer want
>wants a huge dog
>but doesn't want to commit when they don't want it anymore

You can just not have a dog.
>>
>>2308036
what this anon said plus

>considering getting a new dog so soon after moving in together
no

>>2308026
their prey drive really wouldn't be ideal
>>
>>2308036
I would just say make sure your parents are well aware that you aren't taking the dogs with you. Ever. My brother didn't make this well known and his dog went up on CL when my mother couldn't take care of it.

>>2308023
You're SHTF dog will unfortunately not be your ideal dog for your living situation. A SHTF dog would be a medium sized (25-45lbs) dog that is utterly tenacious, can kill it's own food (and maybe people) and take a lot of neglect, so you're pretty much looking at smaller pit bull type dogs. But I would not recommend them with other dogs or cats. All large and XL dogs will likely die off in a real apocalyptic setting.

Did you know there's a sort of breed originated in Tennessee called the Treeing Tennessee Brindle? It's classified as a cur, meaning it loosely follows a standard but doesn't have a strict AKC breed standard to adhere to, so you'll have to communicate with the owner about what the dog is like personality wise or what it's parents were like.
>>
>>2308036
The exact opposite, actually. Read the whole post next time, bud.
>>
>>2308047
>I would just say make sure your parents are well aware that you aren't taking the dogs with you
It was less of our decision and more of "you can't take your dogs with you".
>>
>>2308031
I think they're pretty hardy. My uncle uses his GSP for bird hunting and he'll run into bushes and puddles, come out shivering and bleeding and still be eager for his next target.

Just be aware, like >>2308045 said, they do have a strong prey drive so it might not be ideal for the cat. Hopefully if you introduce them correctly and when the dog is young enough to understand the cat is NOT prey, they could coexist
>>
>>2308064
I'd love to get into bird hunting like that, but sadly theres no places around here to hunt quail except on those hunting ranch things where they raise them and then release them before hunts.
>>
>>2308058
>We both currently have dogs at our parents houses, but we have decided not to bring them so we don't separate them from our other dogs.
Back peddling at its finest.

Really you shouldn't even be thinking of another dog right now. When that time does come you also need to figure out what you will do with a dog if it doesn't work out especially since you don't sound very responsible. Will the dog go with you or your gf if you guys break up? Even if you two die in an accident(which is unpredictable), you're not going to get a dog that's going to be able to fend for itself. The breeds off the top of my head that might get by for a bit are smaller than you want and are not beginner dog breeds. They're working dogs that need a job and even then they can be a huge pain in the ass.

Just look around when you're ready. Pet shelters, petfinder, Craiglist, etc. Chances are if you actually meet some dogs youll be less picky. I'm not against buying from a breeder, I just don't want to reccomend any specific breeds to you. As for winters and summers, you can always keep a dog warm with clothes and a dog cool with AC and a hose for the most part unless you want a husky in Nevada or a Chinese crested in Alaska.
>>
>>2308067
You're assuming an awful lot, mate.
>>
>>2308065
Hey, that's worth trying out isn't it? Even if just to work on fundamentals with your dog (getting him used to gun sounds, off leash hiking, tracking, etc.) that way in the future you can trust your doggo in the woods
>>
>>2308072

So did you, like, just ignore everything else he said because 2 sentences made you butthurt?
>>
>>2308047

Start raw feeding your dog and you will be suprised how much even a large dog needs to eat.
>>
>>2308023
Sounds like literally any mutt from the pound would do. You don't intend to train it to do anything, you live in a mild climate, you want a dog you can throw away and have it survive -- so literally any mutt dog will do. It's cheaper and will better fit your needs. Go to the pound and ask for a big dog. I don't get why people think they need purebred dogs when they have literally no special needs. You want a big dog that can tolerate the "extreme" temperatures in tennessee, which again, is pretty much every dog in your local shelter. Go save one from getting euthanized before you blow a couple thousand for a shit purebred from a BYB. You don't need one and it doesn't sound like you have the money to do anything but fund a puppy mill if you're concerned about having a dog that can "scrape by" on its own if... Well, i'm unsure if you're financially unstable and making bad decisions or you think the world is going to end and your dog will have to survive alone.
Pretty much any dog -- specifically a pampered purebred who knows nothing but warm beds and dogshows -- certainly won't be surviving alone in the wilds of northeastern america, if you honestly thought that was possible somehow. If this is SERIOUSLY a concern for you, maybe just don't get a dog? However, a stray dog who's already surviving on its own would probably be a better fit.
>>
/k/
>muh guns
>muh need pistols and a big doggo
>muh look at meh am manly nuuuh duuh
>>
File: DogoArgentinokilochest8mos.jpg (128KB, 300x462px) Image search: [Google]
DogoArgentinokilochest8mos.jpg
128KB, 300x462px
Taking advantage of the thread:

Any tips on dog breed for summer average temperature of 30ºC and winter low of 0?

I've been thinking about the Argentine Dogo or the Australian Shepherd.
>>
>>2309953
What an ugly creepy looking dog
>>
>>2309953
literally any breed can handle those temperatures
>>
>>2308023
A dog that has good autonomy if it ever has to survive on its own would probably be a more primitive dog, like dogs used by native Americans or indigenous peoples. They have better survival and hunting instincts, they even mature differently than normal dogs. It may take them 2-3 years to fully mature while in a normal dog it'll usually be 1 year. These primitive dogs tend to be more wolf like. Also wolfdogs aren't recommended UNLESS you're willing to put up with them and seriously research on how to raise one because they're pretty different from regular dogs and have different requirements. But they do have high intelligence and can hunt well.
>>
>>2309953
UK by any chance? Your Dogo will get mistaken for a pit bull and be killed in BSL areas. They technically are a bully breed. So that's something to consider.
>>
>>2309979
Uruguay.

>>2309970
I don't think a husky would tolerate 30ºC or higher.
>>
File: bird2.jpg (513KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bird2.jpg
513KB, 1920x1080px
>>2309953
>>
>>2309970

30 degrees is too hot for most dogs. Pig hunters have the fittest dogs out and wont run in temps over 20.
>>
>SHTF dog
This is retarded. Your dog will probably die of depression if shtf. Don't get a cunt as a pet, which is what you're implicitly asking for. Just get a retriever and live happily ever after. Just lol at hoarding canned food in your basement.
>>
I don't get it, you are making it sound like you are concerned about the dog if you were in an accident, but then you make it sound like "hey if I get bored of this dog or can't handle it, Imma just dump it somewhere, but don't want to feel guilty leading it to death"

Don't think of what will happen if there is an accident, bluntly put, your dog is going to die if you get in an accident and it is left alone. But that will happen with any dog.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.