[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /an/, I'very inherited a dog that was never trained

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 20161203_174513.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161203_174513.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Hi /an/,

I'very inherited a dog that was never trained. I've been walking her for about 3 months. There's been a huge improvement, but she still pulls and gets distracted, causing her to walk in front of me. I got a gentle leader, and if I don't limit her lead to 2 feet she'll still pull, see the video below. What can I do? I'll walk her either way, but I'd like to make the walks enjoyable.

https://youtu.be/0c-TCL3wgR8
>>
>>2299869
It doesn't look like she's very comfortable with whatever muzzle contraption that shit is. I'd say leash to her to a normal harness and spend an hour everyday training her specifically to not pull on the leash and deal with distractions. That one crazy dog trainer guy has a great video on it. Too lazy to look it up though
>>
>>2299883
I used a harness for a couple months, I got the gentle leader for Christmas. It's helped tremendously, with the harness she was practically walking on her rear legs.
>>
Not OP, but I have a 7month puppy that loves to pull ahead(mostly because boundless energy). Does it really matter or is this some bullshit dominance thing again?
>>
>>2299897
It means your dog is untrained. If it doesn't bother you that's fine.
>>
>>2299883
i agree with this anon, the halter thing isn't really working

try keeping her on a leash and harness all the time while you're just in the house doing mundane things

even if she's just lying next to you while you're on the computer or whatever or cooking food (you can tie the leash to a belt or whatever so your hands are free)

reward calm behavior
>>
>>2299894
She has too much energy before your walks. Exercise her heavily before you take her out and reward her constantly for calm behavior.
>>
>>2299905
I'd like to take her to a park, but she's so wound up I'm afraid she'll go crazy. Full story is she's my grandfather's who can't do anything with her, so our walks after I get off work are it. Would an hour run every day make a difference?
>>
>>2299908
Maybe, if it doesn't, go up to 2 hours if you need to.
>>
I work with dogs and personally don't recommend head collars. Too high risk of injury and it's not very practical. Try a front clip harness.

And do you have a yard? If so tire her out there first before training
>>
>>2299932
I took her on a short walk with a front clip harness, because that's what I originally used. She just will. not. stop. walking. in. front. of. me. It's absolutely ridiculous. I'm curious to hear your professional opinion on how to stop that, it's driving me insane.
>>
>>2299932
This, front clip harness nullifies a lot of their pulling strength. I had to get one after we moved to a place with a lot of rabbits, which my dog had never encountered before. He would regularly choke himself and his old back harness seemed to only give him more power to pull me, but the front clip harness cut that power almost in half. He's doing better now that he's been forced to slow down.

They also sell bungee leashes that absorb a lot of shock so they can't catch you off guard with a sudden lunge. I've had a recent injury so I'm limping pretty badly and have been considering one so he won't pull me down, but I've been recovering okay so we'll see how that goes
>>
>>2299869
Get a good sturdy well fit harness. Not a front lead. Then have a short lead, pull lightly upward on the lead (not back) it takes less than half the effort to pull up steadily than to pull backwards on a lead. Once the dog is by your side and you feel any slack in the lead give her a treat, if you use a clicker use it as soon as you feel the slack being given. This is a great way to control a pulling dog, while not looking like you are hurting the animal. Eventually the dog will learn if it follows your leg and doesn't yank on the leash it gets treats and or praise. It'll take a bit of practice, but you both should get it fairly quickly, if you're consistent.
>>
>>2300054
Oh, forgot to mention. There is no need for any gimmicks like special leashes or harnesses for this method. Just a simple 2ft lead, and a well fit harness. Just remember anytime you get a response from your animal that you DO want you must praise it, even if you didn't give a direct command. If the animal does something you DON'T want then you ignore it completely. You don't shout or try to correct it. Just ignore it untill they do something you want. Eventually they'll put 2 and 2 together.
>>
>>2299908
You can tire out even the most energetic dogs with good mental training. You don't need to physically run your dog to sleep daily. If you do mental style training, you can burn em out by just doing tricks for a couple hours a day.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.