[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 19 and I'd like to work at a vet, it's something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1438765292640.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1438765292640.webm
3MB, 640x480px
I'm 19 and I'd like to work at a vet, it's something I can easily see myself doing even if it's just trivial janitorial work.

Do any of you have warnings, advice, or experience, on not just vet work but job finding in general? I know anytime somebody in /ck/ says they want to become a chef the thread gets filled with horror stories, but I used to spend a lot of time in the vets my mom worked at after school so I know the environment.

It would be my first real job, and I have no marketable traits for it besides owning dozens of animals (albeit only about 10 were family close, the rest being livestock) and having a mother who also worked at several clinics. As long as they don't take too much advantage of me I'd be willing to work with no pay for up to 6 months, after which I believe I would have proven myself enough to ask for a paycheck, or take my resume to another place.

I just worry that it's too difficult to get into without college, and I doubt hiring would even be considered with any kind of salary for me.
>>
Where do you live?
Did you check if apprenticeships in that field are a thing where you live?
>>
>>2299052
I don't think there are apprenticeship college courses I could realistically take in SoCal
>>
>>2299016
You can be a vet tech without college, but don't expect to get paid as well as the licensed vet techs, and you won't be doing any surgeries. You'll probably have to work as a kennel bitch at an animal shelter for a couple of years and then wait for a VT job to open up within the shelter and hope you're more qualified than the rest. You'll be making minimum wage and working your ass off. Most vet offices will hire LVTs because they are just more helpful. You'll have to look and see in your state even allows unlicensed vet techs
>>
>>2299016
The only job opening you could hope to fill is kennel assistant or something, and without any qualifications, you're unlikely to find a job opening. Most of the time, vet techs & vet assistants do most of the work you've described on their own. I'd suggest volunteering at a vet clinic; that's how both the kennel assistants at my clinics got their jobs. In MOST states, though, you can work your way up to being a vet tech without actually going to college.
>>
I just got hired as an "animal care attendant" at an emergency/referral clinic. Basically a veterinary assistant but with more kennel duties, but not bad considering I haven't studied animals in college.

My job before this was at a doggy daycare - maybe look into that? Even if only for a few months so you have some formal experience to help sell yourself in the future when applying for vet jobs
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.