[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this color pattern so successful?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

File: tumblr_mw5t2iLwTq1qb73bno1_1280.jpg (165KB, 502x335px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mw5t2iLwTq1qb73bno1_1280.jpg
165KB, 502x335px
I noticed a lot of animals(especially juveniles) have this type of coloration: Brown, with beige horizontal stripes. Many similar sized species of animal start out life with this, but many don't share the sae niche/habitat like boar, emus, and to an extant, tapirs and deer. While many fowl also start out with this pattern as chicks. There's even mice that are like this their entire life(striped grass mouse). How do all these animals that are entirely unrelated find this pattern to be so successful with limited variation? Is it just convergent evolution? Do you think mammals got it from synapsids? Do you think dinosaur chicks like Struthomimus have this color pattern? Discuss.
>>
I noticed too, just convergent evolution I would say
>>
Magic.
I'm not joking.
>>
I guess it's a pretty good camouflage
>>
>>2290397
You don't already know the answer to this question? How do you live this long with so little information. What is wrong with this generation? Seriously. Never seen a group of people with greater access to information who had so very little of it.

It mimics the dappled light shining through trees in a forest. All the animals that have that pattern are forest animals. Typically baby ones who's only defense is to be still and hide.
>>
>>2292043
I thought it had more to do with the leaves on the forest floor than the light.
>>
>>2292068
It's both. The browns reflect dead foliage. The lighter spots and stripes reflect the light dappling hitting the forest floor.
>>
>>2292043
Get off your high horse, fedora tipper. Do you actually believe majority of humanity bothers to look up or even bother asking such questions in the OP? You gotta be an autistic piece of shit to be angry about something so obscure.
>>
File: Ball-Python-1.jpg (69KB, 319x215px) Image search: [Google]
Ball-Python-1.jpg
69KB, 319x215px
>>2290397
Let's post all animals of similar patterning and colorations.

Wild type ball python
>>
File: Pro_Mobile_Article_MB_Photo_10.jpg (104KB, 600x548px) Image search: [Google]
Pro_Mobile_Article_MB_Photo_10.jpg
104KB, 600x548px
>>2292358
Cassowary chicks
>>
File: IMG_0643.jpg (952KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0643.jpg
952KB, 1280x960px
>>2292362
Baby tapirs
>>
>>2292348
>Do you actually believe majority of humanity bothers to look up or even bother asking such questions in the OP

No, they don't, and this is why "reality" TV, fakebook news and 3 hour long ad's disguised as talk shows are such a fucking problem. People just don't fucking think for themselves. This was acceptable 50 years ago when you had to go to a library to look something up, but as the other anon said, we live in an era where you literally look at your phone and go "ok google, why are so many animals that are light and dark brown?".. not even touch the fucking thing, just ask it.. and get a result (which I just did, with the first hit being the wiki page on animal colouration, which goes into everything >>2292043 said) then there is literally no fucking excuse. You are officially part of the problem if you cannot utilise such basic fucking technology to better yourself. You are a fucking boat anchor.

But hey, keep making excuses for it and remain part of the problem. That's definitely the best way to advance the species.
>>
>>2292483
Edgy douchebag aren't we?
>>
File: YourTears35976.jpg (7KB, 186x271px) Image search: [Google]
YourTears35976.jpg
7KB, 186x271px
>>2292484
Shouldn't you be off watching Tara Banks? Maybe she'll tell you about a good mascara that withstands tears, cuz your current brand isn't doing shit for you honey.
>>
Eumelanin is naturally brown/black. All tetrapods use either eumelanin or pheomelanin (pink/red/yellow) for pigmentation.

Creatures that do not appear pink/yellow/brown/black do so through light trickery. Blue animals, and green animals in fact possess no green or blue pigment at all.
>>
its probably a combination of convergent evolution and an extremely successful animal species that coincidentally just happen to have the pattern.
>>
>>2292483
Fedorian of the highest horse, you are part of the problem. The fact that you immediately look down and shut down on actual discussion on something so mundane, whine then generalize the entire board as what you project them to be. You sound like that loser in highschool who acts all high and mighty laughing and smirking to himself because his classmates can't name his favorite pokemon or anime character. Howbout try engaging for once like a sane individual without aspergers. I don't even watch TV, but I am sure TV is a necessity for a lonely basement dweller like yourself. I seriously hope you don't act this autistic in public.
>>
>>2292614
>accuses other people of looking down on others and shutting down discussion
>is completely oblivious to the fact that he is doing the exact same thing

Loving
Every
Laugh

It's additionally hilarious how you think that fedora is a relevant enough insult to use it twice. 2012 called, they want their Reddit-tier memes back.
>>
>>2292676
>>2292614
Considering both of you are acting like retards, maybe you both need to STFU.
>>
>>2292676
>Howbout try engaging for once like a sane individual without aspergers.

Just ignore that fact that your whining is ruining the thread. You'd rather have the OP not bring up the question because you believe it is irrelevant. Now realize how you're the problem.
>>
>>2292483
>Somebody tries to create a conversation by asking a simple question
>HOW DARE YOU
Chesus, I bet you are the type that keeps his eyes on the phone in a family reunion and prefers looking at a facebook status rather than asking someone how they're doing.
The OP may be culturally impaired but you are socially devastated.
>>
File: Bongo_Balfour2.jpg (311KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
Bongo_Balfour2.jpg
311KB, 1000x800px
Bongo
>>
>>2292483
I agree with this wholeheartedly desu
>>
>>2292483
Most people on /an/ are probably using the internet for the first time and didn't develop some austistic fixation on looking up more than just (((Wikipedia))), but I agree that these people haven't develop the capacity to go beyond Facebook and Reddit :^)
>>
>>2292483
>>2292043
Okay
>>
>>2292043
like yellow and green birds mimic leaves with sunlight behind it
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.