[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /an/, I have an semi-old dog (9 years old), she's been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 20140306_130553.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20140306_130553.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hi /an/, I have an semi-old dog (9 years old), she's been with me at the same house ever since she was 2 months old. I'm now moving away with her to another place. Thing is, ever since she was a puppy she was always accustomed to poop/pee in a small area in the backyard - she wouldn't even go during our walks. Now that we're moving, I've heard of dogs/cats that had a lot of trouble going back to pooping/peeing, specially after living in one place for so long.
How do I re-train her to go potty in one spot in the new place? What should I do if she gets constipated and won't go?

Tl;dr old doggy has never been in another house before, moving away soon and expecting potty troubles with her (constipation and re-training), what to do?
>>
>>2289018

Nothing to do but retrain. Be prepared for accidents.
>>
>>2289018
Bag some shit and empty it out in her new spot.
>>
>>2289019
How to start, though? Leave her there after eating until she goes? If she doesn't go and gets constipated, what to do?
>>2289021
Thought about that, is this the way to go, tough? Heard of some products that smell like dog pee you can put and hope the dog smells it and goes there, never used it, though.
>>
>>2289034
Just like you did when she was a puppy. After meals, when she wakes up, after playing, and every 2 hrs or so, leash her, take her to that specific spot, and wait for her to go. Reward when she does.
>>
>>2289037
See, we never did have to actively train her as a puppy to go, she kinda just liked going there and didn't have to deal with inside accidents and such. Once she got it the first time she just went all the time. But yeah, will do that, then.
I guess my biggest problem isn't really the training, but health issues she might have, since she really never goes outside home. Leave her 10 hours inside, she won't go. What should I do if she won't go when we move? Get her dog laxatives?
>>
>>2289034
Never used a product before. The scent of the dog's own waste has always worked fine for me.

>>2289039
I've used the matchstick trick to make a dog poop. Might be worth a try since oral laxatives don't seem like they would help your case any.
>>
>>2289049
Matchstick trick? do explain
Will try the doggy waste thing, then, maybe it'll work with us.
>>
>>2289069
Take a matchstick book, rip off one and wet the ripped end slightly. Insert ripped end into dog anus. Dog is slightly irritated and poops out the matchstick. Usually ends up actually pooping too. Some people insert the sulfur matchhead instead, but I have no idea if that works better or is even safe.

I did this to teach my service dog to poop on command. Seems like it would work for a healthy dog that is simply reluctant to go.
>>
>>2289076
What the fuck no here is a better one:
1.Flop It's dog ears
2.It shits on spot
3.????
4.Profit
>>
>>2289076
That seems weirdly uncomfortable for both me and the dog, I guess I'll take it as a last resort if she doesn't go in some days.
>>
>>2289076
Wouldn't it be better to just partially insert a moistened Q-tip instead of a piece of wood? That's what we did with abandoned kittens that couldn't go without stimulation.

Granted, a newborn kitten is different than shoving things up an adult dog's ass.
>>
>>2289108
Q-tip does sound a bit less uncomfortable than a matchstick, I guess, but still weird to stick things in my dog's butt. I think I'd rather go with a laxative or something, if possible.
>>
OP, I just moved with a dog. It took him a while to pee, but he held his poop for two days, and tried to hold it as long as he could for about a week after that before going back to normal.

It's the stress of moving and being in a new place and it's normal.

What we did was go back to "puppy rules". That meant any time we weren't actively watching him, he was in his crate. He was taken out after eating, drinking, waking up from naps, and after play sessions. It didn't matter if he went or not, just that he was always being taken out after every opportunity. He slept in the crate and was kept in the crate during work hours. He didn't like it since we hadn't had to use the crate for the past six months, but he was crate-trained from the start so he did okay.

When he did poop, he got lots of praise and some treats and we threw a fiesta-parade-block-party. He was the king for pooping outside! He was an astronaut! He was the best!

Now he is fine. Accidents are probably more likely to happen because she's older, but you clean them with an enzymatic cleaner and move on. Keep at it.
>>
>>2289119
Yeah, no worries about accidents, I know it's bound to happen. She had a lot of parties too back as a puppy, so now I guess it's back to that. So 2 days without going is alright? Just asking how long should I wait before taking her to the vet and getting laxatives if she doesn't poop and pee and all that.
>>
>>2289153
Yeah. Unless she's got an obstruction it's gotta come out sometime.

The first time she poops don't feel relieved just yet. She'll likely try to hold it again for a while, then when she realizes the new place is "hers" it'll get easier.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.