[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

Friendly lizards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

File: CMy1PSuWsAEfjLO.jpg (74KB, 600x600px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
CMy1PSuWsAEfjLO.jpg
74KB, 600x600px
Hey /an/, which species of lizard likes being handled the most?

I want a really cuddly pet but I'm allergic to mammals and birds.
>>
>>2285225
>I want a really cuddly pet
Then you don't want a reptile. At most, they'll tolerate your handling because you're warm.
>>
>>2285232
But I can't have any other type of pet.

I don't expect it to come bounding up to me like a dog, but I do want to know which reptiles tolerate handling as you said.
>>
>>2285235
Well, if it's your first reptile, you also need to pick one suitable for beginners.
If you want lizards like you asked, leopard geckos like your OP pic are good, so are African fat tailed geckos,crested geckos and bearded dragons. If you can actually find one, blue-tongue skinks have great personalities.
>>
>>2285244
Thanks, man.

What about Madagascan day geckos? Are they bad for beginners?
>>
>>2285247
You can't really handle those. They stress easily and their skin is sensitive.
I think they're okay for those beginners that are fine with look, don't touch, but I'm sure others would disagree.
>>
>>2285244
>crested geckos
I thought they were rather skittish and liked to jump.
>>
>>2285252
That's how most of them start out, but regular handling seems to tame them down in my experience.
I haven't ever handled a reptile heavily though, I don't know how they would deal with it.
>>
>>2285252

Leopard geckos are more amenable to handling than cresteds. And a hell of a lot easier to guide and corral as they walk around on your hands. Cresteds do indeed jump, even as adults, even when accustomed to handling, and they can jump two or three feet (horizontally) no problem.

Bearded dragons and blue tongue skinks are usually content to sit still on your lap for short periods. Little bit more expensive upfront cost and a little more work though.

Day geckos are more advanced and shouldn't be handled at all.
>>
>>2285282
Further to this, the best "lap" reptile, as far as reptiles go, is probably columbian boas. Pretty big snakes though. There are dwarf species but those tend to be more active movers when held.
>>
Tegus are supposedly really affectionate.
>>
>>2285286
They are but they are not a beginner species. I put them in advanced category. Lot of work. Big enclosure., Expensive to feed.
>>
What about uromastyx lizards?

I've never owned one, but they always seemed very relaxed and assume they wouldn't mind being handled.
>>
>>2285371
uros are fat and lazy. they couldn't care less about being handled they just want to be warm
>>
Ackie monitor, maybe? You're going to have to do your research and find a vet that works on exotics, anyway.
>>
OP here, thanks for all the replies.

I think I'll be looking into leopard geckos, bearded dragons or skinks. I've always wanted a skink but they're very hard to find in my country.
>>
>>2285225
>I want a really cuddly pet but I'm allergic to mammals and birds.
Literally all mammals? Do you sneeze when someone shakes your hand?

Are you allergic to wool? Poodles have wool instead of fur.
>>
Tegus are the only one that have a chance of being actually affectionate. Monitors too, but they're more of a handful.

Tegu care is pretty easy as long as you get the setup right and have the space. And dont mind the food bill.

Definitely don't get a day gecko because they hate being handled and their first line of defense is to literally rip all of their skin off.
>>
>>2285225
>allergic to mammals
>humans are mammals
>>
>>2285592
>>2285553
For fuck's sake, why would I be allergic to my own species? And yeah I'm allergic to poodles. The hair is not the issue, it's saliva proteins.

Also I just realised that bearded dragons and leopard geckos are illegal in my shithole country, but all other geckos for some reason aren't.
>>
>>2285225
Leopard Geckos can be pretty chill.
>>
Tegus are great beginner reptiles.
>>
>>2285839
stop. bad meme
>>
>>2285825
Your country has suffered a aneurysm and banned leopard geckos? Jesus fuck op, get the fuck out of there while you can. North Korean?
>>
>>2285557
which species of tegu and which species of monitors?
>>
>>2285983
South Africa. It's not even the whole country, just my province in particular. The reason I asked about day geckos is that they're the only lizard species that I'm 100% sure I would be able to get.

I'll graduate as a doctor in 5 years so hopefully then I can gtfo.
>>
File: scaleless-snake.png (433KB, 1000x604px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
scaleless-snake.png
433KB, 1000x604px
>>2285225
get a scaleless snake
>>
>>2286036
Do they feel like a limp dick?
>>
>>2286126
Nah, they're pretty firm
>>
>>2286130
Oh wonderfil
>>
>>2286036
This is actually a thing.

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/general-discussion/102249-scaleless-snakes-brief-history.html
>>
>>2286147
No shit anon
Are you a fucking retard or somthing
>>
>>2285286
>look up tegus on youtube
>In one of the channels, the bitch is hugging and kissing it

Can we please stop anthropomorphizing reptile? It doesn't love you. The parts of its brain for love are small and simple. Stop.

Same with you, OP. I know you say you get it, but I don't think you do.
>>
>>2285225
OP, look into fishes.
Some really do enjoy handling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE-SkcIeFcE
See how the gar doesn't bite and actually seeks the hand?
A lot of fishes act this way.
Some specific carps are very smart and easy to care.
>>
>>2286260
i know you're not serious, but too much handling can remove a fish's slime coat, making it susceptible to disease. i used to have an oscar that would let me pet it, but i was always worried about that.
>>
>>2286036
NO. BAD MEME
>>
>>2286260
snakeheads and lungfish really interest me. snakeheads are illegal in the US, and I have no clue how you would get a lungfish though.
>>
>>2286024
Well make those 5 years count and study hard dude.
>>
>>2286159
I don't understand how this is a problem as long as the affection isn't harming the reptile. So what if it doesn't love me and is dumb as a brick? I can still feel love for it.

>>2286260
Don't be retarded, I've had fish all my life and handling them can seriously hurt them.

>>2286601
Thanks f-am.
>>
>>2286666
It's not a problem, but it's a bit of a waste of your emotional resources. Sure, care for the thing and feed it and don't put it in pain, but it'll never love you like a mammal will, so you're being a weirdo if you're kissing an animal that has a shrivelled up emotive brain.
>>
Hola
>>
File: bts.jpg (38KB, 400x335px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
bts.jpg
38KB, 400x335px
Blue Tongued Skink, Bearded Dragon or Ball Python would probably be some of the best choices.

Should do your own research first though obviously.
>>
>>2286708
>implying emotion is some kind of nonrenewable resource that you must conserve for important situations
Are you legit autistic?
>>
>>2286708
>implying small mammals don't have a shrivelled up emotive brain too

I've had hamsters and rabbits and they're dumb as shit.
>>
>>2286708
>waste of emotional resources
don't think that's how emotions work
> but it'll never love you like a mammal will
first, not everyone is a lonely retard who gets a pet because they can't get love any other way.
second, I think you meant "like a dog will." Reptiles are smarter than most mammals. Most are rodents and those are probably dumber than fish
>>
>>2286898
Rats are really smart, and mice to a degree. Hamsters and gerbils are dumb though.
>>
>>2286933
I'd say reptiles are around rat levels
>>
Hola como ago para avlar con el grupo de anonymous el grupo jaker
>>
>>2286935
Nope. Rats are quite a bit smarter than reptiles. Only a few species of reptile come even close.
>>
>>2285448
Are they fairly easy to take care of? Would /an/ categorize it as a beginner lizard?
>>
>>2287489
nope. reptiles are smarter than rats
>>
>>2287489
Absolutely wrong. Almost any monitor is smarter than a rat, most tegus are, even iguanas are smarter. You're just retarded and only think of mammalian intelligence as true intelligence.
>>
File: Spikey.jpg (52KB, 585x400px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Spikey.jpg
52KB, 585x400px
>>2285547
I had a Bearded Dragon for close to 9 years, and he loved climbing up onto my shoulder and resting on my chest.
I still miss him.
>>
>>2285825
What about African fat-tailed geckos? I'm pretty sure they're similar in regards to being handled.
>>
>>2285225
Argentine tegus seem to be pretty "affectionate" by reptilian standards provided you spend the proper amount of time working with them. Problem is, as others have mentioned they are not beginner reptiles. I'd even go so far as to say they're worse than iguanas actually. As a whole reptiles aren't cuddly though, if its snuggling up to you it's more than likely just soaking up that delicious mammalian body heat.
>>2287507
Easy, yes. But they require intense heat for basking. We're talking well over a hundred Fahrenheit.
>>2287817
They're mellow, just bear in mind they they're tropical unlike Leos.
>>
>>2287859
*first sentence should say temperament, not temperature
>>
>>2285225
Tepu!
>>
>>2287788
I remember reading something that even wood turtles were more efficient at the obstacle mazes than lab rats
>>
>>2287890
I think it was a kind of tortoise. they also learned behaviors by watching other tortoises which is very cool.

Even things like little green anoles are surprisingly smart. I notice when I go herping that they always plan future moves ahead of time to avoid being caught.
>>
>i'm allergic to mammals

you're not supposed to be alive
fucking modern world coddled the worst fucking genes of all time
>>
>>2286935
>>2287489
>>2287710
>>2287788
>>2287890
>>2287965
You guys probably need to specify the types of intelligence you're comparing, otherwise this entire thing is just a pointless argument.

For example, mice are capable of exhibiting empathy, which is an entirely different from say, memorization which is also different from problem solving.
>>
>>2287835
I live in south Texas so it's hot as fuck here anyway so the heat for him wouldn't be too hard.
Thanks anon, I'll look up a shit ton of care guides. I've been looking into getting some sort of beginner reptile (never had one because my mom is crazy but I've loved them since I was itty bitty and have been researching care for them for the past 5-6 years) and uros seem to be pretty appealing to me!
>>
>>2289162
>emotional """""""intelligence"""""""

that's just a survival instinct for social animals
>>
>>2289169
sure, ignore the rest just because you got triggered by the word 'empathy'
>>
>>2286130
:3
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.