[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/ Aquarium General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 55

Vore Edition

Previous Thread: >>2274180

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size
-parameters
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
>Cycling a new tank - http://petcha.com/pets/fishless-aquarium-cycling-method/
>General aquarium care sheets - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/
>Livestock and plants for sale - http://www.petsolutions.com/ http://www.aquabid.com
>Useful & Extensive database for aquatic plants and their parameters - http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>>
>>2280875
>>
>>2280446
Play sand is natural sand far more often than pool filter sand is. It's been well-documented that the jaggedness of artificial sand can lacerate cory barbels and render them vulnerable to infection, especially in dirtier water.
>>
>>2280925
Either one can be natural sand or crushed rock. If it's that well-documented, I wouldn't mind reading a source.
>>
What am I doing wrong? I'm trying to breed apple snails on purpose but nothing is happening. I even see them mate from time to time. It's just frustrating.
>>
File: IMG_20161215_191510969.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161215_191510969.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>2280940
Kind of same boat as this guy, but I found a cluster of eggs attached to my aquarium lid. Do I have to keep them dry? They were dislodged when I was doing a water change and got a little wet. What do I do now? How do I make sure they hatch?
>>
File: IMG_20161215_191348631.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161215_191348631.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Also, how in God's name do I keep this Monte Carlo rooted? It came back from the melt, but it all gets uprooted everyday.
>>
oh it's this gif again
>>
>>2280959
Maybe you should try googling it and following one of several in-depth guides by long-time breeders that exist for all common aquarium animals? Do you think you'll do better on /aq/, whose population is 50% baiters and 50% retards?

I don't get how a 4chan board can have the same kind of population as yahoo answers.
>>
>>2281482
>being this mad
>>
>>2281482
Whoa, sorry I asked bud. You okay?
>>
>>2281482
sperg lmao
>>
I wanna make a shrimp tank
>>
File: 1476252524142.jpg (85KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1476252524142.jpg
85KB, 625x626px
>>2281482
This is a board of peace
>>
ive usually only had single species tanks but i plan on starting a community tank.
will mollies nip the shit out of a dwarf gourami? or if i have enough females for the male will they fuck off?
>>
>>2281653
Do it.

>>2281662
They should be fine. Only some male mollies are nippy, and that can usually be counteracted by having a high f:m ratio.
>>
>>2281653
Do it.
>>
File: hydro.jpg (158KB, 836x1280px) Image search: [Google]
hydro.jpg
158KB, 836x1280px
I designed a windowsill hydroponics aquarium because I was bored. I don't plan on making it anytime soon, but I figured I'd share.
>>
File: notes.jpg (550KB, 1109x1717px) Image search: [Google]
notes.jpg
550KB, 1109x1717px
>>2281702
With notes.
>>
File: 20161217_102348.jpg (843KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161217_102348.jpg
843KB, 2048x1152px
No one probably remembers me but everyone was so helpful when I got a tank gifted to me and had no idea what to do with it and I just wanted to update after a few months of not posting. I managed to get all the male platties out of my tank and my females have finally stopped giving birth except for a random baby here and there. I got a surprise snail invasion but my friends and family have been snatching them all up for their own tanks so it's kept the population somewhat low. Final update I asked last time I was here months ago about putting bamboo clippings off my plant into the tank and got told they'd likely die and rot in a month fully submerged.. 2+ months later and they've fully rooted and are still growing! My fish absolutely love them so if anyone else has a potted bamboo that needs clipping, give it a try. I just buried the shoots right into the gravel and weighted them down a bit and now they're fully anchored!

tl;dr thanks everyone for helping me with my first tank and all my questions over cheap fish and plants. You really helped a ton.
>>
>sell tank of Facebook fish group
>man comes to pick it up and I help load it all
>a few days later I get a message
>asks what was the name of the cichlid that came with the tank
>green terror (rivulatus)
>says its agressive towards his wives cichlids
>they put him in another tank with African cichlids after I said he's pretty agressive
>>
>>2281383
Yeah but check that file name
>>
So I bought two golden gouramis 2 weeks ago

Straight away one of them seemed ill
He spent two weeks swimming into the side of the tank and then died.

Why?
Everything with the water is fine, the other one is really healthy and all the other fish in the tank are.

Did I just get sold an already ill one?
>>
>>2281940
>did just get sold an already ill one?
probably, but that's the fun of the hobby! new surprise every day!
>>
File: image.jpg (641KB, 2164x2581px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
641KB, 2164x2581px
Can I get an ID? All I know is it was bought from petco by my hot aunt.
>>
>>2281940
Probably. You think asian hormone farm #4320 and pet shop wagie mcfucko take proper care of the stock?
>>
>>2281940
Most likely.
Dwarf gourami and neon tetras are the two species I recall tend to sick straight from the farm.
Look up the symptoms for dwarf gourami iridovirus. If it matches, congratulations! You can no longer keep any species of anabantoid without the risk of it getting sick too.
>>
File: IMG_20161217_181517644.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161217_181517644.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>2282010
Forgot the name but they are whatever this is. Grows pretty fast (not as fast as water sprite or wisteria, but faster than anubias) in low/medium light.
This pic is from 2 stems that were the size of the ones in your pic. You propagate it by sniping just below where new roots are sprouting on the stem.
They are very pretty, especially during sunset colors. Good choice.
>>
>>2282033
golden gouramis aren't dwarf
>>
>>2282037
Forgot to mention the stems grew to that size in 3 or so weeks with minor co2 and medium/low light (were in the shadow of a big anubias leaf.
>>
File: tote.jpg (17KB, 275x275px) Image search: [Google]
tote.jpg
17KB, 275x275px
Would an IBC storage container previously used to store iodine be appropriate to use for raising tilapia?
>>
>>2282010
Alternantherina reineckii "cardinalis." I've never gotten it to grow, but I have medium light and no pressurized CO2, so it might do better in a higher tech setup.
>>
>>2282048
We will see. I have decent led lighting that can grow just about anything. But no co2 may have to give my aunt Christmas spankings again.
>>
File: image.jpg (608KB, 3241x1224px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
608KB, 3241x1224px
Here's more she got me. She's definitely begging for it at this point.
>>
>>2282058
Staurogyne repens on the left and dwarf hairgrass in the center.
Are those two on the right crypts? Whatever they are they and the cardinalis look like they've mostly melted already.
>>
>>2280909
>Decide to start a tank with sand
>Ammonia levels are out of control
>Algae grows faster than it can be eaten
>Decide to replace it with gravel
>Algae disappears in a week
>Ammonia and nitrate levels drop

Never use sand guys.
>>
>>2282095
Algae on sand stopped being a problem for me when I added 25+ mts to the tank. They are really good at stirring up the substrate.
>>
>>2282088
Yes. They are c. wendtii tropica. I'll take pic of the cardinal as I just planted it. They are pretty healthy looking after a wash and pruning of dead matter. I have a crypt fetish. Already have 15 c. Wendtii brown. I really want some red.
>>
>>2280959
Keep them moist.
Your tank is a clusterfuck by the way. Hope /an/ didn't tell you to arrange it like that. Left side looks 10/10 though.
>>
I have an opaline gourami and 1 assassin snail

Is there any more snails or shrimp or anything I can add?
>>
>>2282100
mts?
>>
>>2282564
What size tank?
Any other snails might get eaten by the assassin. Small shrimp will almost definitely get eaten by the gourami. You can test him out with some ghost shrimp. Dwarf crays might be big enough to be safe. A bamboo or vampire shrimp could work, but you'd have to worry about the gourami pecking out its eyes or biting of limbs.

>>2282588
Malaysian trumpet snails.
>>
Went to petsmart and found a bunch of free ramshorn. They are aesthetic.
>>
>>2282593
25 gallon long, will Assassin snails eat Apple snails? Ain't apple snails to big?

If so I think I might get more assassin snails or cories. Cories are quite nice.
>>
anyone know anything about keeping jellyfish
they are just so soothing
>>
>>2282627
I started getting leopard morphs out of my hitchhikers. Pretty gr8.

>>2282669
Assassin snails ambush other snails and inject them with an enzyme that turns them to jelly from the inside out. An apple snail might be at less of a risk, but ultimately an assassin could kill and eat any sized snail with enough dedication.
They leave each other alone, though. Either because they "recognize" conspecifics or because they're not technically snails. I'm not sure.
Cories would be good, and one of the safest bets with the gourami.
If you can find cheap shrimp (like 3/$1) I'd get some to try them out. Even if the gourami eats them, they're good feeders anyway.
>>
>>2282671
>anyone know anything about keeping jellyfish
>they are just so soothing
I take care of a two gallon jellyfish tank for my dealer. Has three moon jellies in it. Long story short, dont do it unless you really know what your doing. These setups are not made for the average person to keep them easily. Ive spent a decent amount of time and money modifying his tank to the point that it actually keeps them alive well. I have over 15 years experience in freshwater, and 2 years in saltwater/reefing and working at a reef shop, and it's still not easy. I've only lost one jelly in 6 months, so it can be done, but it's not easy.
>>
>>2282627
I love it when you go into petco and petsmart and actually find something good, i went into the petco by me once and they had a breeding pair of fully grown eb Jack Dempsey in their plant tank someone gave to them, could of took them for free but i didn't have anywhere to put them and couldn't afford a new tank, real bummer.
>>
So I bought a few of those glass/ghost shrimp for my tank with full intentions of having something eat them I have an Angel Fish and a few Bala Sharks but it's been a full day now and all 4 of them are still wandering around and rooting through the substrate. I guess I've got some new pets for the time being. The fish have swam straight up to them and then became disinterested
>>
File: IMG_0256.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0256.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>2282977
They decided to make pals with my snail
>>
I wish customers who need over half an hour of answering questions could come on the weekdays instead of the busy weekends. They said one of their tetras died and asked me how to remove it and I said you could net it or pick it up with your hands and they looked at me like I was insane.
>>
>>2280909
lol dat filename
>>
File: IMG_2825.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2825.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Fish bros, hear my call:

(Deleted my thread and reposted here)

I love animals. Always have, always will. For my office "white elephant" someone got a betta fish and ended up swapping with me.

Now initially this little guy came in a tiny bowl. I said fuck that and dropped $166 on his ass at PetSmart today. The tank is 5.5 gallons. I treated the water today and set everything up, I am no fish expert bear in mind, but I got him a heater preset to the best temp for them and a filter, along with some soft leaves he can rest on.

He didn't seem to like the bullshit flakes and I don't blame him so I got him an assortment of blood worms and stuff. Here's his set up so far. I just put him in the tank and watched him for 30 mins. He's still exploring and doing a little glass surfing but he seems okay. I'm worried because I want my new fish bro to be happier than he's ever been. The water temp seems fine. I don't know about the PH levels and stuff I'll have to get them checked but like I said I treated it all day.

Any other tips or recommendations? Anything I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
>>
File: IMG_2826.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2826.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2283104
>mfw you can't delete threads on phones
Sorry for the double post and for the sideways pictures I'm taking these on my phone. Here's the dude. He seems okay. Also that plastic shit is because the filter current was too strong I think so I slowed it down and directed the current down so he can relax and not have to fight it 24/7. He went in his house a second ago so I think he's just checking shit out.

Next week I'm gonna get 3-4 small non-nipping fish that can chill in there with him. I don't wanna wait too long because I don't want him to get territorial.
>>
>>2283104
my recommendation is to throw your decor and gravel into the garbage
>>
>>2283115
Lol.
>>
Where do yalk put your tanks or nano tanks? Ive run out of room and i just got a fluval spec at petsmart
>>
>>2283115
Damn man, fish people are harsh. I was proud of myself. I wonder if my fish thinks I'm a shitty decorator too.
>>
>>2283129
>caring what strangers on the internet think

I think it looks like shit but if you like it, you like it
>>
>>2283130
lol I don't actually care. I'd even agree I could do a better job. But as long as the fish is okay that's all I'm concerned about.

I see a lot of live plants in this thread and I'm wondering if I should get a couple to help with the oxygen levels of the tank. Maybe raise his comfort levels more.
>>
>>2283137
Live plants are a good idea and since its in a small tank you could buy a nice light and use some sort of diy co2.
>>
>>2283123
Kitchen counter, garage.
>>
>>2283144
Sweet I'll look into it thank you.
>>
>>2283145
Cool ill see if it fits anywhere there thanks man
>>
>>2283115
Building a reef tank with all that salt?

>>2283137
The light that comes with that kit is only going to be good for very low light plants. If you want to start out with something simple you can get some anubias, java fern, or moss, among other things.
You can expand your options a bit if you upgrade to something like www.petsmart.com/fish/supplies/lighting-and-hoods/hoods-and-glass-canopies/all-glass-aquarium-incandescent-hood-5063883.html but if you want to get serious about it you'll have to change out the gravel for plant substrate and use either root tabs or liquid fertilizers. Liquid carbon or CO2 also help a lot.
>>
File: dumb nigger.jpg (216KB, 950x380px) Image search: [Google]
dumb nigger.jpg
216KB, 950x380px
Asian arowana are a meme fish. If there was a gourami that size and half as regal it'd still be a superior fish. Instead we get the giant gourami, literally the ugliest fish on the planet with an ogre face full of tumorous lumps. It isn't fair.
>>
>>2282820
>they're not technically snails.
you don't call a whelk a snail?
>>
>>2283185
>Asian arowana are a meme fish.
>If there was a gourami that size and half as regal

>if there were other fish as cool as a fish, that fish would be as cool as a fish
>but it's not
wew lad
>>
>>2283226
Uh... for some reason I thought there was some fundamental difference between the two. Maybe I should lay off the nog.
The rest of it I'll stand by.
>>
Does someone have the voltage and current output of the power supply for the light on the Fluval Spec V? Or could you post a picture of the sticker on it?
I need to replace just the power supply.
>>
>>2283185
They're only a meme fish because for some reason even though they're far from endangered now they're still illegal. Asian breeders are over run with them now. But they have such a high price tag still in places where they're legal. There's been stories of a guy getting killed for one in the USA or people breaking into pet shops because they know they have one illegally hidden and retards at the fbi busting people in raids.
>>
>>2283185
I like them!
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-19-23-55-16.png (857KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-19-23-55-16.png
857KB, 720x1280px
My betta spends ages at the top of his tank

I know they breath air but he never seems to move.

Is this normal?
Google says its fine but I'm worried.
>>
>>2283628
At the top of his tank as in he moves around but sticks to the upper area, or the top of his tank as in he's hanging in a corner listless?

If he's sluggish, he could be ill or bored. How big is the tank? Does he have any tankmates to entertain himself with? If not, you ever hold a mirror up to the tank to get him excited? Bettas tend to suffer without something to occupy their attention.
>>
>>2283635
He barely moves, like an inch every 15 minutes to the side. It's a 5 gallon and hes by himself.

He seems really sluggish. At the moment he's just sat at the bottom of the tank. He does that a lot as well.
Maybe I am overfeeding him but I don't think so. I give him 3 betta bio gold pellets a night.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-20-01-15-15.png (1MB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-20-01-15-15.png
1MB, 720x1280px
Hes just laying in his plant pot now

Upset lads
I've only had him 2 weeks and he was really expensive because it's nearly impossible to find yellow ones around here.

Don't want to loose my fishbro
>>
>>2283653
Have you done a water change?
>>
How do you id an amazon sword? I bought a "plant pack" from petco and one of them looks like the amazon swords i have but im not sure since the label didnt list as
>>
>>2283654
I do weekly water changes. 25%
The last one was on Saturday

It's an awful picture but here is he test strip I use. The far right square is slightly pink but not bad.
I use tetra aquasafe as well.
>>
That picture was really bad.

My lightbulb is gone so i am living of my fish tanks light sorry
>>
File: 318.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
318.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NkP9m7gt8A&t=78s

yeah, just leaving this here....
>>
File: 324.jpg (1MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
324.jpg
1MB, 4032x2268px
and this...
>>
File: 358.jpg (1MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
358.jpg
1MB, 4032x2268px
aww
>>
File: AquStockImage.png (18KB, 550x110px) Image search: [Google]
AquStockImage.png
18KB, 550x110px
Here's my planted tank. I was looking to get a vibrant and eye catching species as my tank is very green + yellow/orange (fish colors) at the moment. PH is in the 6-6.5 range and I keep the temp around 78-80.
Gourami get along fine with the Rasboras, I only ever see them occasionally picking on each other.
>>
Two nerites, ramshorn, tadpole snails, and trapdoor snail. Where did I go wrong?
>>
>>2283716
What lens are you using?

https://youtu.be/Xp7nMNULwOk Here's a video of my ghost shrimp. Very comfy. Should I get rid of the music?
>>
File: image.jpg (953KB, 2819x2115px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
953KB, 2819x2115px
Caught this retard eating my snails algae wafer even though he was already eating his carnivore pellets.
>>
>>2283727
Satanoperca leucosticta, angelfish, blue acara, keyhole cichlid, pair of Bolivian rams. Blue tetras or zebra danios could work to add some color to the schooling fish. Adding julii or sterbai cories could make the bottom more interesting.
Not all of those at once, obviously, but hopefully it gives you some stuff to look into.
>>
>>2283757
You didn't. Snails are fucking ace.
>>
File: Geophagus-dicrozoster-3.jpg (116KB, 1000x664px) Image search: [Google]
Geophagus-dicrozoster-3.jpg
116KB, 1000x664px
>>2283727
Geophagus dicrozoster is another one.
>>
File: assassin snail.jpg (114KB, 800x354px) Image search: [Google]
assassin snail.jpg
114KB, 800x354px
>>2283757
you went wrong not getting these madmen

only problem is they'll boom until the genocide of inferior snails is complete and then you'll have a hundred hungry assassins, but at least they're not nearly as prolific as any of the pest snails
>>
>>2283775
What is that anon ? Looks cool asf
>>
>>2283777
Fuck you and fuck snails !
Currently dealing with a pond snail invasion btw
>>
>>2283822
Not him but it's a senegal bichir. Gets 10+ inches, fairly hardy, shy, messy. Pretty chill if you've got a big tank for them.
>>
>>2283823
Leave cucumber slices in the tank to bait them overnight, then toss them in the trash at lights up.
Also cut excess food. Pond snails are by far the least aesthetic, but they don't get out of control unless there's a bunch of leftover junk in the tank for them to thrive on.
>>
So im gonna start up a 5 g shrimp tank and was wondering what else i could put in it. I know they shrimp have a very low amount of bioload and was thinking fish or some other sort of invert like crayfish or crab. I dont want another betta since theyll eat the shrimp and i already have 2. Any suggestions?
>>
>>2283826
Ok thanks ill give ut a go. Have been overfeeding but have sort of thought its better then starving the fish
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-20-14-44-49.png (994KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-20-14-44-49.png
994KB, 720x1280px
Just in case my betta is bored, what fish could I add to his tank?

I know tetras are quite popular but would they do alright in a 5 gallon high?
>>
>>2283987
Neon tetras could work
Or you could try shrimp
>>
black cories exist?

Why did no one tell me?
>>
>>2283822
Yes a Senegal bichir. If you have a 55 gallon it can house one for life. They do enjoy planted tanks and have bad eye sight. Pretty chill bro though. He pokes his head through my crypt forest. Water snek
>>
>>2283826
Ramshorn most stronk and aesthetic
>>
Over time could I artificially select and breed a type of weed that would be aquatic? I want to grow weed in my aquarium
>>
>>2284064
You could grow it like hydroponics. It would take a very long time. Maybe a few generations.
>>
>>2283104
Good work anon. 5.5 gallons is enough for a Betta to swim happily for life. A few tips here if you want to follow them. Thank you for giving this fish a nice home.

1) You made a good call on the flakes. They make Betta specific pellets at the petstore that you should look into. I'm not sure if bloodworms are a balanced diet. (they're much more nutritious than tubifex worms or whiteworms though)

2) Considering you didn't prep the tank beforehand, I'm going to assume the tank isn't cycled. But that's okay, you're going to go through what is called a "fish-in" cycle. (Which is going to happen no matter what you do)

I know this sounds confusing right now...but it's pretty simple if you think about it. Your filter will need to produce enough bacteria to support your Betta fish's wastes and make it non-toxic.

Going to try and explain this simply. But there are plentiful resources around the internet. (http://aquariuminfo.org/cycling.html)

2a) You know what Ammonia is yeah? Fish poop and decaying food => Ammonia. Ammonia at anything other than 0 will harm your fish and chemically burn it. While your filter is going to convert these Ammonia into something safer, it will hurt your Betta for a little bit until the "cycle" is done.

Ammonia (toxic) => Nitrite (toxic) => Nitrate (safe)

2b) You can make this process go by faster with bottled bacteria (I recommend Tetra Safestart) Shake the bottle very well and use it all at once.

2c) I recommend buying the Liquid API Ammonia test kit (About $7 on Amazon) so you can keep track of how much ammonia is in the tank. The Master Kit has everything you need for $20 though, can't recommend that one enough. Don't bother with test strips they're useless.

Keep Ammonia and Nitrite below 0.5 ppm if possible.

3) Plants will help with cycling and give your Betta space to hide. You don't need a lot of light or need of co2 for: Java fern, Anubias Nana, Java Moss, Hornwort, Wisteria, Marimo, Frogbit.
>>
So I've been working on a 10 gal community tank for my betta. I'm trying to get more plants in it before I add something else. Currently I have 2 amano shrimp and a black mystery snail.

My first question is what else should I plant? Currently there's only an anubias, java fern and some other long stringy one I had to cut back. It's low to medium lighting in there in.

Secondly what are some fish that can potentially coexist with male bettas? I've heard dwarf corys or ember tetras do good. I understand you need about 6 of each of those so I would be picking one due to my space restrictions.

How many more fish can I add to a 10 gal with plants, a betta, potentially 3 to 5 shrimp and a snail?
>>
>>2284107
Cherry barbs do fine and they are adorable. Plant wise get a few cryptocoryne wendtii. Slow growers in low light and are hardy. Had them even shoot off plantlets while growing in gravel. Banana plants are neat. Low maintenance. Crypts are my favorite. I made a crypt forest out of about 20 of them.
>>
>>2284107
They might nip your betta mate.
>>2284115
Cherry barbs are great. Not even nippy. Most smaller fish fair well in a betta tank.
>>
>>2283856
If you want the shrimp to breed you're better off with just them and snails. Microrasboras are fairly low threat, as are dwarf crayfish. Thai micro crabs are harmless if you want some of those.

>>2283987
I wouldn't suggest tetras for a 5 gallon. It isn't a lot of swimming space, especially since it's a hex tank. Microrasboras or CPDs would be better if you can find them. Some bettas will get along with Endler's, but that's really hit and miss.

Adding fish to "keep him less bored" isn't really, ideal, though. Giving him shrimp to hunt/follow around would be better.
You could also just add caves and stuff for him to explore. Some betta will even play with "toys," like ping pong balls.
>>
>>2284119
What might? The corys or the tetras? And about how many cherry barbs could I put in there max? I kinda want a few more shrimp or something too.
>>
>>2284115
Cool I'll see if my pet store has them. The banana plants are definitely cool looking and I like the idea of a crypt forest.

Do you know anything about growing floating plants? I want some small lily pads or lily pad looking plants if that exist.
>>
>>2284130
Banana plant will put pads to the top. If you go to petco and find those bulb packs they have red tiger Lily's. Mines done good in low light
>>
>>2284124
Corys will be fine, tetras can get nippy though. Rasboras are a good peaceful alternative though.
>>
>>2284139
>>2284132
Ok sounds good, I've been trying to finish this 10 g project tank but I've been lazy.
>>
>>2283987
I'm the guy who suggested he might be bored. In a tank that small (and especially with that small a footprint) I wouldn't get any schooling fish, or any fish at all, really. A couple of amano shrimp should be fine, they get big enough to not be edible and have very low bioload/activity, and shrimp are generally good items of curiosity for bettas. You'll probably have to supplement with a very small amount of food (like a tiny fragment of algae wafer) since there's probably not enough algae in there to sustain a pair of amanos.
>>
>have 4 female cons
>or so i thought
>all of them have the distinct markings of a female
>keep finding eggs

explain this shit
>>
>>2284292
They'll still lay eggs. But if no make they'll just eat em or let em rot
>>
What's a solitary small fish aside from a betta that I could put in a 5g?

Also, what are some cool bog plants?
>>
>>2284307
Pygmy sunfish
>>
>>2284107
Could you post a picture of the tank? Most small tetras and rasboras will work with bettas. If you want to do cherry barbs I'd recommend just females. I've had bad luck with males getting nippy and aggressive in the past.

>>2284307
Most are going to be higher maintenance than a Betta. Scarlet badis, pea puffer, sparkling gourami, some killifish. A guppy or endler could also work.

>Also, what are some cool bog plants?
Most aquarium plants are actually bog plants. What are you planning on doing?
>>
>>2284301
oh i didn't know that
Is that because they need to be fertilized by a male after they lay them?
>>
I'm not really that into fish but I'd love to keep some aquatic or semiaquatic inverts. How hard are something like vampire crabs to set up and maintain?
>>
>>2284323
The way cory mating works is that the two form a T shape, the female lays an egg and cups it between her anal fins, she takes the male's sperm into her mouth and passes it through her gills, using her fins to direct it toward the egg.

Yours may simply be laying unfertilized eggs "just because." It isn't uncommon in fish.
>>
>>2284332
He said convict cichlids
>>2284323
Yes. I had two female oscars who would keep laying eggs then eating. If they're fertilized though they'll be yellowish.
>>
>>2284332
I see, thanks for the info!
one of my convicts are laying them on the wall of a ceramic cave, they're hard to get off, those suckers are on there good.
>>
>>2284336
>>2284337
O-oh. Disregard, I guess I'm just fucking stupid.
>>
>>2284340
all good senpai i learned something about cories at least
>>
Will green neons school with normal neons?I have 12 in my planted tank at the moment but I've found some green neons but only 3, would this be okay?

Also, I looked in the shop today for the miniature corydoras and I found the pygmaeus but they seemed quite inactive compared to the normal sized cory. Is this standard for the small cory species or just the pygmaeus? I might go for something else if they're that inactive (especially considering the hefty price of $12 a piece).
>>
File: 20161221_001032.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161221_001032.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Cories are basically the doggos of fish look at this guy.
>>
>>2284384
rest in peace pupper

kuhlis are also doggo-tier
and bettas
man, lotta high quality fish
>>
File: IMAG4984.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG4984.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2284384
Cories are by far my favorite fish to own
>>
>>2284406
>>2284421
Anyone know why they do this?
>>
Is the discussion of terrariums here ok? If so: can i keep my mantis with other insects if it is well fed, if so, which insects are good for the job?
>>
>>2284744
no
no
>>
>>2284566
digging for food. I bury snacks for them so they do this exact thing
>>
>>2284566
They have almost zero brain cells. They're special needs. Even can self poison.
>>
File: IMG_0262.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0262.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Is this bad? Sand is around 3 inches deep not planted. I'm a little concerned about Anaerobic bacteria. The substrate occasionally lets out bubbles but it is odorless.
>>
>>2284794
Self poison? How
>>
>>2284802
In cases of extreme stress like shipping or extreme stress they can release a poison. Lots die during shipping.
>>
>>2284804
>extreme stress the second time
Fuck I mean when another fish is trying to eat them. Makes the fish spit them up.
>>
>>2284792
>I bury lumps of decaying matter in my sand

are you >>2284798 by chance
>>
>>2284798
Get some Malaysian trumpet snails to disturb that substrate. Or remove about an inch or half of it.
>>
File: 20161221_205133.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161221_205133.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
20 gallon long anon with shit tank here. WHAT ARE THESE? no shrimps or snails in tank
>>
>>2284811
Fertilized Cory eggs. Congrats.
>>
>>2284812
WOW did I just earn an achievement in fish husbandry??? I'm so excited! How do you know they are fertilized
>>
>>2284813
The color. They'd be white. That yellowish color means fertilized. If you have any fish that would eat the fry I would recommend gently scraping them off and putting them im a net by the flow of your filter so mold doesn't grow on them. Or a breeder box.
>>
How the fuck do you carpet dwarf hairgrass?

I'm on a 40breeder with a mix of planted substrate and medium sized rocks. I have fertilizer and co2 but this shit just plain never grows and always just ends up floating up until i get too pissed to replant and just toss it.

Was trying this after introducing dojo loaches the mistake? I think theyre the issue digging around.
>>
>>2284815
The loach is a culprit. Pics of the grass now? If planted in big chunks or all together it doesn't work as well. 10-15 blades in one spot. It's very tedious planting it that way.
>>
File: 355.jpg (1MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
355.jpg
1MB, 4032x2268px
just Leaving this here....

Again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpIEsjqu3UA&t=8s
>>
dutch style aquarium?
y/n?
>>
>>2284816
Its been months since i last tried, so its all gone by now, i stumbled into this thread by absolute accident, first time here. But i figured i'd randomly ask anyway. I should add ive got 4 of the loaches, i love them as my favourite fish but hate them for making plants near impossible.
>>
File: 20161221_001022.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161221_001022.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2284814
Breeder box's are just enclosures that go in the tank to protect them right? I think I will go that route, I have a few more questions.

Are breeder boxes expensive?

How long will they be eggs? (How long I have to buy breeder box)

What do I feed fry? The smallest thing I have is hikari micro pellets or brine shrimp.

I am the same anon who had anchor worms recently, I just completed the 3rd weekly dosing recommended by the instructions, which have been followed to he utmost accuracy. I can still spot anchor worms, or at least their bodies on my corys, will my fry be infected by them? Does the stuff I bought just suck?
I guess I will dose again next Tuesday but I'd really like to add my shrimp and snail back.

And finally many of my corys barbs have been fucked up, I presume a combination of the worms and eco complete I had, how long will it take for them to regrow? Can I help in anyway?

thank you for any answers, I know it's a wall of text.
>>
>>2284827
1. About $20 you can buy mesh one also. I can't stress that you need flow enough.
2. 3-5 days a fish net will due in the mean time
3. Crush the foods up into a dust. Hikari makes fry food.
The rest I am not to sure on.
>>
Are there any aquatic animals that would do well in a planted tank that don't need to be fed normally? I have a 10 gallon planted tank with a really well established substrate, but basically all its doing is being a common snail farm since I can't move it back and forth from college and back
Also, how many snails would I need for an assassin snail to survive indefinitely in my tank? They're fucking everywhere
>>
>>2284820
They're a ton of work, but very impressive. Not something I would do personally, but I respect people with the dedication.

>>2284827
You could also carefully remove the eggs from the glass and put them in a separate container with an air stone (spare tank, bucket, storage container).

Look up how to culture infusoria. If you start now you might have some ready by the time the eggs hatch. Crushing the flakes into powder probably won't be small enough. The commercial fry food could also work.

Lots of people have cories on EcoComplete without issue. Bad barbels are more likely due to stress, disease, or poor water quality.
>>
>>2284875
What I'm wondering is if they're actually a ton of work...
>>
>>2284875
Crushing food into powder is a old time tested method for those without fry food. Hikari fry food is just there normal tropical food crushed into a powder. All I wanted to add.
>>
>>2284324
Freshwater crabs like vampire, red devil, panther, or Thai micro are arguably easier than dealing with salt to keep brackish crabs like fiddler.

Other popular freshwater inverts are shrimp, snails, and crayfish.

>>2284359
Probably, if they don't have a choice. Will the store get more of the green neons later?
For itty bitty cories, habrosus are more active than pygmaeus ime, but pygmaeus are the only cories I know of that'll school through the center of the tank.

>>2284872
How infrequently are you talking about feeding them?
>>
>>2284893
I've only heard of people doing that for livebearer fry.
>>
Anyone know anything on keeping/ breeding ghost knife fish? I dont have any, just think itd be cool.
>>
>>2284875
Ouch I wonder what the main issue is then with the barbels. I do regular water changes so I'm not sure what's stressing them, maybe the worms
>>
File: snailman_1762835.jpg (44KB, 500x353px) Image search: [Google]
snailman_1762835.jpg
44KB, 500x353px
SNAIL BREEDING PROJECT PART 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

Game over, lads? Started this general snail breeding project with the intent to at least break even. Made a few phone calls, pretty much every store has a wholesale supplier that sells them shitty snails but they're ok with that. I guess they want quantity over quality. Ok, fine. They also said that if I were to supply them with snails, I would have to become their main supplier and replace the wholesale guys in the snail department.

The demand is high; "hundreds of snails of different species per week". Can I match that with a rack of nine 10G's?

What should be my main strategy here? Should I go for the store with the least demand and work my way up?
>>
>>2284895
Like semesters at a time. Basically asking if something can just survive off rampant algae and snails. I remember the RCS (?) I used to have would seem to eat everything and not really worry about flake food
>>
>>2284941
I hope you're talking about apple or mystery or columbian ramshorn and not pond/malaysian trumpet/pest ramshorn.
>>
>>2285063
P. diffusa, P. Canaliculata, and probably assassins, trumpets, red ramshorns, rabbits..
>>
>>2285063
Oh wait -are trumpets worthless?
>>
>>2285063
>ramshorn
>most aesthetic
>pest
Top kek
>>
>>2285066
They're worthless if you don't want them. They're good for substrate stirring though. Breed nerites if you're up to it.
>>
File: ramshorn.jpg (22KB, 400x351px) Image search: [Google]
ramshorn.jpg
22KB, 400x351px
>>2285063
>>2285065
>>2285066
>>2285103
>>2285108

Ramshorns are for sure the most aesthetic, and trumpets are quite possibly the best snail for the health of your substrate, and literally are in every planted tank I've ever done.
>>
One of the plants I bought had assassin snail eggs in it, Will they eat my bristlenose pleco eggs? I know they protect the eggs but I'm not sure against snails.
>>
File: long_claws.jpg (13KB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
long_claws.jpg
13KB, 280x210px
>>2282980
Just watch for them getting bigger than they should or predatory behavior towards sleeping fish or small fry. Can end up with juveniles of something like pic related buying ghost shrimp.
>>
>>2285128
I refuse to believe ghost shrimp would live long enough to get large enough to become predators.

t. only buys them from petco/petsmart
>>
>>2285138
That's not a ghost shrimp. Sometimes prawns and macro shrimp are mistaken at a young age and thrown into the shipment
>>
>>2284820
I think they look unnatural and need more hardscape
>>
How many albino corys can a 20 gallon accomodate? I have 5 so I could keep 1 or 2 but I don't know what I will do with the rest
>>
>20 gallon tank
>10Harlequin Rasbora
>1 Sword tail

Should I get a male betta?

I never had one before because I had a banded gourami and they would have likely fought. So I had a female betta instead.

Gourami and female betta have recently died.

Maybe I should get a male and female?
>>
>>2285018
Yeah, if the tank is able to support a population of snails, it should work out for shrimp as well. You can use the cucumber trick to remove some of the snails beforehand to cut down on competition. The shrimp won't breed nearly as quickly without supplemental feeding, but they should survive.
You could also get more interesting snails, like nerites.
I doubt assassin snails would be able to keep up with the pest snail population. They're not that efficient.
>>
>>2285168
With good filtration and frequent water changes, you could keep 10 in a 20 long.
>>
anything in particular i need to know about painting some plants and their bases? just acrylic paint right and let them air dry thoroughly?
>>
What do with excess red cherry shrimp? They keep breeding like rabbits

Sell to LSF? Does Petco buy them?
>>
>>2285214
Chain stores won't buy them. A local fish store you'll have better luck.
>>
>>2285214
A little quote from my dad "Somebody once told me the world is gonna roll me
I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed"
>>
>>2285171
If the swordtail is a make I wouldn't chance it. Or, if you do want to try it, be prepared with a backup plan.

>Maybe I should get a male and female?
That ends badly more often than it works out.
>>
>>2285214
You can also try your luck with Facebook groups or the local classifieds.
>>
Hey guys. So I have this Betta fish at my house for three days until Christmas. He's a present and so is his tank which means it can't be opened or used. I don't have the first clue as to how he should be housed until then. the guy at the pet store said a bowl or large glass would be fine for a few days but I feel as tho he may get sick or jump out or something. I'm concerned for him, he's in a tied plastic bag right now and it seems very uncomfortable. Anyways some temporary housing tips would be extremely helpful.
>>
>>2285259
Open the bag right now and leave it open or else youll suffocate him. Bettas get their air from above.
>giving a pet as a gift
>>
>>2285259
>betta and the tank as a gift

I seriously hope the recipient has any idea what they're doing or looks it up as it sounds like they're going to be cycling with it, otherwise expect it to get rekt before New Years
>>
>>2285260
If she wants a pet then she wants a pet. The bag has been opened. C-Can I put him in tap water? I have a fairly large glass jug I can put him in for now.

>>2285266
Her husband has taken care of fish before, it will be fine. The issue is that I have not and now I'm stressing.
>>
>>2285259
They're kept in 12-16oz cups at the store and only fed/cleaned twice a week. If you're that worried about him jumping you can put cling wrap over the top with a large hole in the center. They'll have to breathe from the surface if the water is poorly oxygenated.

>>2285271
>If she wants a pet then-
Then she should go and get one herself. Pets as gifts are always a shit idea. You could've just gotten her the tank and put a picture of a betta on it or something.

>C-Can I put him in tap water?
Chlorine in tap water isn't good for them. Use bottled water if you don't have dechlorinator.

>I have a fairly large glass jug I can put him in for now.
Good enough.
>>
>>2285290
I put two drops of water conditioner into the jug. To transport should I just scoop him out and put him in the new water? Apparently putting the bag in first will help him adjust but both the bag and this water jug have been on my desk for a while now so there's not really a temperature difference.
>>
>>2285305
If it were me I'd just pour the bag water into the jug with him.
How cold does your house get at night?
>>
>>2285321
I suppose I'll try gently pouring him in. And my room remains quite warm due to having no window, little space and needing various electronics on throughout the night.
>>
>>2285171
Male and female bettas usually don't mix. Usually the male will aggress or at least irritate the female, or if he's too submissive she might attack him. I would stick to either one male betta (though like >>2285238
said, better not to if the sword is male) or a sorority (5+) of females. In small numbers, dominant females often pick on submissive ones, but in a larger group the aggression spreads out.

Sororities are a lot of fun to watch btw, bettas of both sexes are very personable. When one of my two oldest and most dominant red females died in my old sorority, I found the other usually boisterous one lying listlessly by her body. I tried to get her attention then let her be for a while and she remained. When I removed it, she nosed around the area a bit and settled down to mope again. She never displayed signs of illness and returned to her prior activity levels over the next couple of days, and lived a good while longer after. Seems like she was mourning.
>>
Ok I'm going to petsmart soon for a breeder box wish me luck
>>
>>2284809
Not the same person I'm the guy with the black spots I do not disturb my substrate
>>
File: IMG_0268.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0268.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
This is my 45 gallon Aquarium. My new crab is actually up front for once he likes to stay behind the driftwood or climb the cords in the back
>>
File: 20161222_200313.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161222_200313.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2285363
Are those plants fake? You have alot of extra room there maybe think about getting g some larger driftwood or maybe different rocks, all that height means you can work with slopes and make it really pop!

I bought this for the cory eggs is it /aq/ approved
>>
>>2285365
Yeah they are fake the decor came out of the old 10 gallon tank and haven't gotten anything new yet. Kind of a procrastinator. I had a bunch of floating plants in there for awhile but something ate them
>>
Dear aquarium anons, thank you for posting these types of threads. Even though they're a bit slow, I can never get enough of everyone's content. Pictures of your aquariums have always been very calming and they've made me take my mind off of things that have fucked me up recently. Maybe one day, in the not so near future I can have an aquarium too, when this all ends.

Thanks again friends,

Long time lurker
>>
>>2285410
Wish me luck, I have no razor blade, so I'm going to try and acquire my cory eggs with a chefs knife
>>
>>2285417
Best of luck to you anon. Post pictures if it's a success!
>>
File: 20161222_224615.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161222_224615.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>2285418
Step one complete
The top isn't completely out of the water but it's pretty close, do you think it will be ok and no corys will jump in?
>>
File: 20161222_224619.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161222_224619.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2285420
>>
File: 20161222_232902.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20161222_232902.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
My 60 g. Aquarium i bought in November. Rate, suggestions, plant suggestions? I might not keep some of the plants i have now. Maybe just grow and try to see if my lfs might buy em from me

>>2285420
Looks OK i doubt fry corys are strong enough to even jump out of water and even then ive never had a cory jump
>>
>>2285420
Will be fine. Let us know if they hatch. Don't feed them right away. Wait for the yolk sack to be gone.
>>
Hey /aq/, I just bought a 10g tank the other day with some of the glow tetras, I've treated the water, had it tested before introducing the fish and so far they seem to be okay.

Is it necessary to have live plants in the tank? So far I just have fake plants and a few hides for the fish. I'm looking into a dwarf gourami, betta, or a school of 4 danios to introduce eventually into the tank. Are there any pointers or general advice that you can provide? Thanks in advance
>>
>>2285454
It's not necessary but they are beneficial. Even the almost idiot proof plants like Anubias or Java ferns are.
>>
>>2285472
Also Marimo Balls
>>
>>2285363
What's that, a fiddler? 99% of crabs sold aren't fully aquatic and are also often brackish, don't expect it to last too long.
>>
>>2285454
>glow tetras
Just fyi those are going to get rather large for a 10 gallon, especially if you want to get other fish. You can look up care for black skirt tetras for more information. Most places will recommend a 24 x 12 inch tank (15-20 gallons).

What kind of lights and substrate are you using?
>>
>>2285454
I'd hold off on the danios, they prefer more swimming room than the 10 and they're quite active. If you're looking for schooling fish you can look up various microrasboras which come in a lot of different colors.

Plants aren't necessary but are a great addition, plus they benefit the conditions of the tank, and fish like the cover they provide.
>>
Can someone tell me whats up with my betta? He hangs out at the edge of the tank a lot after I did a water change. Tank was at like 75 so I took it down to 50 then added the water back in. He still swims into his log and sleeps but during the day he just does laps at the rim. maybe im just being paranoid. He has a 14 gallon to himself btw with moderate decor and soft sand to lay on
. Ive had him for 2 years already and really want him to live 5.
>>
>>2285472
>>2285481

Looking into Marimo balls as a starting plant, thanks!

>>2285487

I'm just using aquarium gravel and LED lights for lighting

>>2285495

Thanks for the advice, in that case would a dwarf gourami be a decent fit?
>>
Could I keep a single assassin snail in a 10 gallon heavily planted? I have about a thousand common brown snails that need culling but I only want one assassin
>>
>>2285539
Just after the water change? Does he look different at all? Sounds fairly normal
>>
>>2285329
I've been to my lfs I've not been to before (recently moved) and the female bettas they have there are just as colourful as the males and some even have, much smaller, but elongated flowing fins too.

So I think I'll get females. Maybe 4 or 5
>>
>>2285611
>I'm just using aquarium gravel and LED lights for lighting
Should be good for rhizome plants, Crypts, and moss.

>would a dwarf gourami be a decent fit?
Dwarf gourami can have a range of different personalities. I'd you get a sky one he could easily be bullied and outcompeted by the tetras. A female betta would be a safer bet, but again, that tank is going to get crowded with a school of skirt tetras plus other fish.
>>
>>2285441
Thinking of getting dwarf hairgrass once ive planted everything ive wanted to plant. Yay or nay?
>>
>>2285729
He looks the same, still nice dark red color. He takes little bit to eat his food and find ir but recognizes me when I go to the tank. I dunno sometimes he floats in the corner.
>>
>>2285753
Needs high light and co2
>>
>>2285757
I know i was asking if itd look nice
>>
>>2285760
Hairgrass carpets always look nice if you can manage to grow one.
>>
>>2285441
You should get some stem plants like Rotala or Ludwigia to fill in the back. Large vals would also work.
I'd only do dwarf hairgrass if you have CO2. The light alone might be enough for it, but it's hard to predict.
Glosso, Monte Carlo, and dwarf sag are all fairly easy carpeting plants.

I personally dislike the aesthetic of having things leaning against each other, but you do you.
>>
>>2285757
Low light now co2 here and got a carpet. Took a bit and requires trimming to get it to carpet
>>
>>2285750
>>2285611
I R I D O V I R U S

R

I

D

O

V

I

R

U

S
>>
>>2285782
Yeah bullshit.

Medium light, ferts, CO2, and planted substrate shit.

Never got it to grow an inch.
>>
>>2285858
Maybe you're just not meant for it? I can get it to carpet with a cheap 5000k CFL, no co2, liquid ferts, and keeping it trimmed low. Never had a problem with it.
>>
>>2285774
Nice plant suggestions. If your talking about the rocks leaning im going to get another slate on the right end and then plant a lot of things around it
>>
>>2285807
AESTHETIC

E

S

T

H

E

T

I

C
>>
>>2285420

That looks good. I was able to get mine with a plain old standard square razor blade. The fry did quite well on the powder fry food you get at the pet store.
>>
File: anger dog.gif (483KB, 450x198px) Image search: [Google]
anger dog.gif
483KB, 450x198px
>>2285807
>kept a pair of honey gouramis with my platinum HMPK pair
>honeys perfectly healthy for ~2 years
>female bloats slightly and shows occasional spots of blood on gill/lip, several loosened scales and general rough appearance despite a complete lack of aggression in the tank
>continues to decline, methylene blue does nothing. dies
>tfw it was probably iridovirus and I have no idea if inter-species infection is possible and if my pricey pair of qt bettas have it because no one gives enough of a fuck to study the disease

goddamn dirty SEAniggers and their filthy fish farms
>>
>>2281653
Do it.
>>
>>2281653
Do it,
>>
>>2285807
What is this irodovirus?
>>
>>2281653
Do it.
>>
>that obvious aquarium under the christmas tree

GIVE IT TO ME NOW I NEED IT REEE
>>
>>2285901
Asians truly so no care about the health of any animals. This is why they breed shitty fish like the parrot fish or all these short body and balloon fish. Even did a fucking short body Arowana
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 960x540px
>>2285947
Profit over life for them. If they were promised 3 American dollars to rape and kill your entire family if front of you they wouldn't have any hesitations.
>>
FRESHWATER PLEBS GET OUT

REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>2285951
What the fuck is that meant to be
>>
>>2285993
You sir are an autist
>>
>>2285933
Go fuck yourself you piece of shit
>>
>>2285993
>He doesn't like keeping Mini-carp in his home
wtf
>>
File: shrimp.jpg (172KB, 812x609px) Image search: [Google]
shrimp.jpg
172KB, 812x609px
>>2286031
>destitute shrimpless are THIS mad
>>
File: IMG_5171.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5171.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
10g set up with two guppies, two snails, and two loaches.

Looking to expand to a 55g once I move to a bigger place.
>>
>>2286079
>two loaches

that's like saying you started a garden with two plants

what kind nigga
>>
It's been a long night I thought my tank was crashing I looked over at it and one of my young Bala Sharks wasn't acting right twitching shaking swimming erratically. Then I noticed some minor fin rot on my angel fish. I quarantined all of my Bala Sharks and quarantined the one acting strange separately did a 50% water change and treated the tank with some Malechite green and 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of water. I bumped the temperature to 82 degrees and covered the tank with a blanket to avoid stimulation. I'm not sure what happened but turns one the one Bala shark was paralyzed from the middle back. Luckily the one shark was the only casualty things have returned to normal today. I had to put the one shark down this morning. Needless to say it could have been way worse. I still don't know how he became paralyzed. I'm going to keep the other balas quarantined for a few more days to be safe since they school together I figure if it's something contagious they would be the most likely to also have it.
>>
>>2286079
>el nino fern
>2 loaches
kek
>>
>>2285901
>>2285919
I believe it only effects dwarf gouramis, it's Dormant virus that stress will trigger it to activate, pretty much nothing you can do at that point. Your other gourami prob has it but it hasn't been triggered
>>
File: FISH 003.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
FISH 003.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
>tfw baby bristlenose finally grew whiskers

That aside, I suck at aquascaping. What are some good background plants for a low-light tank? Right now I have java moss, java fern, and anubias.
>>
>>2286079
I don't usually like artificial tank decor, but the cat head is cute.

That said, loaches are generally pretty social. I wouldn't have fewer than 5.
>>
>>2286171
Jungle val, temple hygro, or Ludwigia repens.
>>
>>2286184
Thanks!
>>
When breeding, is it normal to overstock a bit? The internet says 2.5 gallons per mystery snail. I have 10 gallon tanks. Would it really cause much harm to add maybe 6?
>>
File: wolffish.jpg (7KB, 283x178px) Image search: [Google]
wolffish.jpg
7KB, 283x178px
Can some one please help me identify a fish? It's simmilar to wolffis, but it's bigger, it can measure even 2 meters and it has really strong jaws (one of the strongest on earth) and it's really ugly.
>>
Any one have suggestions for a good brand of drilled aquariums without murdering my wallet?
>>
>>2286330
Isn't drilling something you do yourself? I didn't know they sold them pre-drilled.
>>
File: IMG_0272.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0272.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Can someone tell me why my common pleco has these grey patchy areas all over it doesn't look as bad in the picture as irl it's all over
>>
File: 1482630741785.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
1482630741785.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
This is all I got. Have 3 fairly large plants and about 25 small freshwater tropical fish. Can I add this shit to the tank?
>>
>>2286431
My bristlenose pleco gets like that when he's upset, like if I'm moving him.
>>
>>2286455
Yes.
>>
>>2286169
these are honey gouramis, t. chuna
>>
>>2286431
What do your parameters look like, how big is he, how big is the tank, any recent changes, etc.?
>>
Hi /an/.
I managed to get myself a fishbowl, about 25cm in diameter.
Now please, dont flip your shit, Im here because I kinda care about this and dont want to hurt any fishies.

Is there anything that I could have safely in this?

I also have this airpump bubblemaking thingy, for oxygenating water, I think. No filter of any kind or heater in my possession.

Some time ago I was thinking about getting into aquarium stuff.
A setup I came up with would be a waterpump feeding into standalone natural filter outside and above aquarium, water flowing out from it and gently splashing into aqua aerating it.
No heater or airpump.
Inside, some hardy, coldliking fishes that wont die because of my amateur mistakes.
Basically, bare-bones aquarium that doesnt kill fish inside of it.

Anyway, back to the fishbowl. Dont think there is a way to achieve my plan with it, it seems just too small.

Any advice, beside killing myself for having such ideas?
>>
File: 20161224_223105.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161224_223105.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>Buy anchor worm medication do 3 week treatment as stated on bottle

>cory still looks like this.

Does this shit even work at all?!?!?!?!?

It's microbe lift lice and anchor worm
>>
>>2286515
Not really. Maybe 1-2 ghost shrimp, since they can handle lower temps and won't breed. Fishbowls are cancer not only for their tiny size and history with goldfish/bettas, but for being terrible dimensions for planting/decorating/fitting equipment into and especially goddamn cleaning. You can't even fit a siphon into them so you have to empty the thing to clean the substrate.
>>
>>2286515
If you really want fish, dump the bowl and get a real aquarium. No fish will survive well in a bowl, shrimp and snails might work though.
>>
File: fts.jpg (61KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
fts.jpg
61KB, 576x768px
>>2286515
>25cm
Is it a regular sphere? It should hold about 6 or 7 liters, easily enough for a few shrimp and some snails. The shrimp probably won't breed, but they'll get along just fine.
Putting a desk lamp over it and some plants will help out as well.

Get a sponge filter to hook the air pump up to. They're about $3 on eBay.
>>
>>2286524
>>2286529
>>2286538

Alright.
Maybe Ill just try growing some local algae in it or something. Maybe snails. Ill think about it

For future reference tho If I find big aquarium cheep, what fishies do meet requirements of being hardy, handling lower temps and resistant for human fuckups?

I was told by lady selling fish that goldfish would do fine.
Someone on 4chan , maybe even in thread like this, said something about feeder guppies?
>>
>>2286504
I honestly don't know what the water parimeters are I need to get more test strips But I do a weekly 25% water change. The tank has been setup since July. The pleco is about 6 inches right now and the tank is 45 gallons. He has been in this tank since September was previously in the 10 gallon. And yes I'm aware it won't be big enough as he grows. I have plans to upgrade further. I got this 45 on the cheap with the hang on back filter the heater and power head Hes got driftwood and eats algae wafers regularly. Doesn't act strange or anything and is otherwise healthy
>>
>>2286542
Goldfish are very hardy and coldwater fish but grow huge and will need bigger aquariums with stronger filtration as they are shit machines. Otherwise they are an option.

On the smaller end, White Clouds are pretty good, they need to be in a group though so you'd just need enough space to accommodate them. Feeder Guppies can't be too cold so they'd need a heater and expect them to explode in population if you don't have a form of population control.
>>
File: white cloud.jpg (308KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
white cloud.jpg
308KB, 1600x1067px
>>2286542
Can you seriously not afford a heater? Hell, most used tanks come with equipment. Just keep an eye on your local craigslist/kijiji/facebook yardsale groups/whatever private sale sites are popular in your area. If you live in the US, you can often find damn good deals if you're patient and keep watching. I've seen people get full tank setups up to 55 gallons for <$20.

As >>2286547 said, goldfish are primarily for people with yuge tanks with lots of waterchanges or ponds. The goldfish in a bowl/10 gallon meme is as old as aquaria and you should never fall for it (or trust the pet store employee in general). If you end up with a small tank and still no heater, I'll second white clouds as a nice-looking, hardy coldwater fish, but they like flow (i.e. a strong filter). Other than that, the only common, small, hardy coldwater critter I can think of are the aforementioned ghost shrimp.
>>
>>2286547
>>2286554
What about Bluefin Killifish?
Temps more or less like Goldfish, is small, omnivore, supposedly easy to keep, am I missing something?
>>
>>2286542
For commercially available fish, I'd say platies, zebra danios and/or white clouds. Platies and zebra danios are good to about 65F, white clouds down to about 55. All very hardy.

Guppies are usually fine down to about 65 as well, but the fancy ones are a bunch of brother-uncle inbreds and die off easily, and feeder guppies are usually diseased.

>>2286557
There are probably dozens of killifish that would fit those requirements, but most people don't have them come to mind because they're not readily available at most fish stores, at least in the US.
I'm not familiar with care for bluefins, but if the temperature requirements are in line with what you can offer, they should work fine. I've kept some F. gardneri fry in a 5 gallon tank that regularly got down to 65, sometimes 60, without issue.
>>
>>2286554
Dem white clouds be frontin, also so one tell me why my anchor worm medicine a shit!
>>
>>2286520
Had the same stuff but for ich. Did fuck all for ich. Lost 4 cherry barbs and left with 1. A drop splashed on to one of my lily pads and over the next few days it slowly melted the leaf.
>>
>>2286568
>beware the pharma jew!
>buy fish meds anyway because that pharma jew is not actual a jew and wishes the best for your fish
>>
>>2286637
Well if your so in on the scheme, have any reccomendations for dealing with anchor worm? They are too small to pull of tiny corys individually
>>
Merry fishmas to all the soon to be dead bettas and other fish bought for Christmas.
>>
>>2286792
F
>>
>>2281662
I'd be more worried about your gourami being overly aggressive. They have a habit of doing so if they are the tanks most aggressive species or the largest in a community tank.
>>
File: PSX_20161225_193055.jpg (2MB, 4035x2554px) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20161225_193055.jpg
2MB, 4035x2554px
40g with some light touchups in photoshop to compensate or crappy lighting. Not the best but have been stocking it with some decent plants and neat nano fish. Any thoughts anyone?
>>
>>2286171
At what age do they grow there whiskers ?
>>
>>2286915
It is missing something. I can't put my finger on it though.
>>
>>2286922
The layout right now fish-wise is:
6 Badis juergenschmidti
6 Ember tetras
12 Strawberry Rasbora
12 pygmy cories
1 royal farolowella
6 pencilfish, not sure what species
6 blue tetras
3 hara hara catfish
2 scarlet badis
and a handful of ramshorn snails.
Only thing missing it seems is inverts.
>>
>>2286922
Visible hardscape.

Monochrome gravel.
>>
File: IMG_5078.jpg (779KB, 3157x1967px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5078.jpg
779KB, 3157x1967px
Can you put anything neat with a betta in a ten gal? I'm seeing a lot of mixed opinions. I'd like to get some shrimp and snails, but I was wondering if you guys would advise putting anything else in there with him. He's around 3 years old, so I'm not sure if he'd appreciate anything more imposing than a snail or a shrimp. He's kinda old, I don't want to stress him any. I do plan on getting another betta when he passes, though.
>>
>>2286971
3 Harlequin rasboras or 4 Glowlight tetras should work well. Shouldn't bother each other and are pretty attractive. White clouds also work.
>>
>>2286971
>shrimp and snails
You just have to try it and see. Sometimes bettas will attack inverts, sometimes they won't. There are a lot of fish that usually work with bettas, but if he's three years old already and used to being alone you might just want to wait for the next one.

>>2286998
At least suggest proper schools.
>>
>>2286971
It depends on the fish. None of the 5 males I've kept bothered the usual "safe" fish (a couple even coexisted with females and gouramis), but the odd betta will be an asshole who doesn't tolerate anything. You'll probably be fine, just keep an eye on new additions.

A school of small rasboras/microrasboras would work, or a school of dwarf cories or kuhli loaches. Shrimp and snails are also an option. Of the most commonly available shrimp, amanos eat algae and cherries breed. Ghosts do neither. I'd say 6-8 small schoolers fishwise. For shrimp, 3-4 ghosts/amanos or however many cherries (betta should keep the population down), plus a couple nerite/mystery (pomacea diffusa) snails. Both of those snails stay small and come in a variety of colors.

>>2286998
>suggesting undersized schools when there's room for more

stop posting and go take stocking 101
>>
>>2287037
No room in ten gallon for three rasboras? Makes sense.
>>
>>2287040
so you need to learn to read as well as learn to stock

I said there's room for at least 6 rasboras and that's the smallest number of any heavily schooling fish you should be suggesting
>>
>>2286915
>photoshopping your tank pics
>>
>>2286915
More plants, less moss, better arrangement of plants, substrate change, and hard scrape. Not being a asshole just giving my opinion. Do what looks good to you though.
>>
>>2287035
He does have some shrimp tankmates already that he seems to be pretty chill with. He doesn't mind at all when they swim up and take his food. I think he'd be good with any other inverts, but i'm not sure about other fish. I'm more worried about him being attacked than him being aggressive.

>>2286998
>>2287035
>>2287037
Do any of the suggested fish have any needs like temp or pH that i'd need to make adjustments for? Also, my tank does seem a bit small for 6 more fish. I'd rather understock than overstock my tank. I'll be honest and admit that I know almost nothing about fishkeeping or stocking compared to you guys, though, so I'll honestly just go with whatever suggestions seem the most reasonable.

How about loaches or cories? How many of those guys? I like whiteclouds too, but I'm reading that they prefer colder water.
>>
>>2287211
Try tiger barbs they are cute ^.^
>>
>>2287219
Yeah, so are hamsters, but i'm not sure that makes them a good candidate for being a betta's tankmate.
>>
I have 70$ and am planning to start up a well planted, hopefully carpeted, shrimp tank.

I already own 5 and 10 gallons tank, as well as a filter that goes upto 10 gallons. I still need the light since i dont trust the generic fluorescent bulb to grow enough. Any ideas what I should do?
>>
>>2287221
>.>
>>
>>2287221
>not putting your hampster inna fish tank
How otherwise is he going to befriend them tho?
>>
>>2287373
It's a long distance relationship.
>not giving your pets iPhones
>>
>>2287211
For any kind of schooling fish, you really should get at least five or six together, and there are very few small, betta-friendly non-schooling fish to choose from.
Endlers and wild-type guppies are sometimes okay with bettas.
Hara catfish would work, but they're notoriously inactive.
Clown killifish could work depending on the betta's temperament. Some say they're schooling fish, others disagree.

Dwarf, pygmy, or habrosus cories would be okay, but again you should have at least five. They're all very small and friendly, though, so crowding shouldn't be an issue.

I wouldn't suggest any loaches for a ten gallon. Even small ones like kuhli or chain loaches do better with a bit more room.

White clouds are incredibly hardy and adaptable to temperature, but they generally suffer reduced lifespans at higher temperatures like a betta would need.
Green neon tetras or some kind of Boraras species would probably work better. Espei rasboras and CPDs are other options.
>>
Guys I don't think my eggs will hatch or at least they haven't yet, I have notice some born shit on them but they are so frail what can I do? I have them In front of the major filter but I guess that isn't enough flow
>>
>>2287436
It should be enough. It's a possibility the worms killed the eggs. If you can't find anything to get rid of them just full on nuke the tank with a proper treatment. Microbe did nothing for me. I dosed ich medicine from kordon at half strength and none of my snails or shrimp were dead. Maybe i got lucky.
>>
>>2286271
wolf eel
>>
Hey /aq/

I just bought a powder blue dwarf gourami for my tank

He seems to be adjusting pretty well to the tank, but it seems like he's breathing pretty heavy, he moves around the tank and seems active but he seems to be breathing a lot heavier than the other fish in the tank

Is this something to be worried about?
>>
>>2287708
How long ago did you put him in the tank?
>>
>>2287712

About 15 hours now
>>
A family friend just dropped a 30cm common pleco off at my place after my parents said I could take it (I would have said no had I known). I've only got a 125 gallon tank and no others and I'm not sure what to do with the pleco. Ive got a lot of little bottom feeders (few different corys, tetras, sharks and ottos) and I'm worried that he will eat them.
I've got him in a storage bucket for now with a filter and everything all set up, but it's too small to live in permanently. I don't really have the money to buy another tank just for the pleco.
>>
>>2287714
He could just still be getting used to the tank. Fast breathing on its own isn't much of a sign, but keep an eye on him for any other signs and keep the parameters under control.

>>2287868
Is there a local store you can take it to? A footlong pleco is going to tear up any scape you have and raise the bioload considerably. I'd be more worries about him bludgeoning the other fish to death rather than eating them.
>>
Why does AqAdvisor seem to be under the impression that all Synodontis species are "vishis predators"?
Is an upside down cat really going to give two shits about a school of harlequin tetras?
>>
>>2287871
I'm not sure about the LFS. I've never sold anything back to them before and I'm unsure whether they'll take it or not. I'll give it a go though
>>
>>2287412
Where exactly can I purchase CPDs, tetras, or cories? I really like CPDs, but from what I'm reading they don't sound particularly common. Again, I'm not really a fish person so I'm not sure how easy any of these species are to find or where to go. Are local fish stores or chain pet stores better?

Currently planning on having the betta, some shrimp, and 6 of one of the above species together. Maybe I'll get a snail if the tank ever actually grows any algae.
>>
>>2287471
I was thinking about the tetra paraguard, have you had luck with that?
>>
I added some PH adjusting chemicals and now one of my goldies is swimming sideways :/
I'm scared that she's dying but idk what to do
Why am I so bad at this whole aquarium thing?
>>
>>2287883
>Where exactly can I purchase CPDs, tetras, or cories?
CPDs and the small cories mentioned aren't the kind of thing you're likely to find at a chain store. You'll have to call local shops and ask if they have them or if they can order some for you. Note that those three cories mentioned are the only ones you should look at for a ten gallon, regardless of what a store employee may tell you.
Certain tetras and rasboras (such as neon and harlequin, respectively) can be found jst about anywhere, but for others, like Boraras spp. and green neons, you'll have to call the local shops.

Those fish can also be found online, but prices are usually really steep for buying fish online, and the cost of 1-2 day shipping is typically $35-50.

>Are local fish stores or chain pet stores better?
It depends entirely on the experience and dedication of the employees. I've seen well-kept chain stores that have healthy stock and knowledgeable employees, I've seen family owned shops that are filthy and hand out bad advice, and I've seen vice-versa on both accounts. If you have some free time just browse what's near you.

>Maybe I'll get a snail if the tank ever actually grows any algae.
If you do decide on a snail, get a nerite. They're pretty easy to find and they're far, far better at algae control than mystery snails.
>>
How feasible would a tank be if you tried to stock a specie from each continent (except Antarctica)?

>North America: Elassoma okefenokee (Okefenokee pygmy sunfish)
>South America: Otocinclus affinis (Oto)
>Europe: Aphanius fasciatus (Mediterranean killifish)
>Asia: Trichopsis pumila (Pygmy gourami)
>Africa: Epiplatys annulatus (Clown killifish)
>Australia: Iriatherina werneri (Threadfin rainbowfish)
>>
File: 61zzSmvAvsL._SL1350_.jpg (107KB, 1046x1350px) Image search: [Google]
61zzSmvAvsL._SL1350_.jpg
107KB, 1046x1350px
What type of media should I add to this shit?
>>
>>2287949
Just leave the sponge and biomedia in.
If you want to use the carbon, take it out after three or four weeks. It'll be useless by that time anyway and the bags Fluval uses for them fall apart and make a mess if you leave them in.
If you don't want to use the carbon replace it with more biomedia (overkill, unnecessary) or a resin media like Purigen.
>>
>>2287985
Would crushed lava work be anygood?
>>
Does anyone have any experience with freshwater sponges? I'm thinking of getting one to see how it does in my 40BR.

I'd also get a pump to help circulate water so it can eat.
>>
Anyone have the fluval spec v? How does the filter work there nothing to plug in, does the water go thru it and acts as a biological filter?
>>
>>2287999
It's less effective and heavier than ceramic media, but it's not bad. I have a 15 gallon shrimp tank running on it. Rinse it off to get rid of any dust beforehand.
>>
File: 24253981620_45c29b416f_b.jpg (336KB, 1024x759px) Image search: [Google]
24253981620_45c29b416f_b.jpg
336KB, 1024x759px
>>2288005
>there nothing to plug in
It's supposed to come with a circulation pump. Pic is of the Spec III, but the V's is the same.
>>
>>2288009
So the pump also releases water and it goes thru that sponge? Forgot that i plugged that pump in
>>
>>2288011
It works similar to a sump and overflow. The pump pushes water into the tank, which then fills above the slats in the plastic backplate, so it falls over the filter sponge/media and is simultaneously pulled through it by the intake of the pump.
>>
New Thread

>>2288021

>>2288021

>>2288021
>>
>>2288023
Fuck off fag we haven't reached bump limit
>>
>>2288029
Every time, huh?
You must get a real kick out of it.
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.