[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Watching a Senior Dog that's Poorly Trained

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: CKo420d.jpg (43KB, 417x347px) Image search: [Google]
CKo420d.jpg
43KB, 417x347px
Hello, /an/. I'm watching over my parents senior dog for about a month while they're away on a trip. He's a small breed; eleven years old and is generally a good dog indoors. He doesn't tear up furniture, shit/piss all over the house, greets house guest, etc.

The problem is that he is an embarrassment on leash due to his formally mentioned poor training. He'll bark and pull at every fast moving object (joggers, bicycles, mail trucks) and god forbid he ever cross paths with ANY quadruped bigger than the size of a groundhog.

I don't have much experience in training dogs, but I want to help this one develop better leash habits. What are some of the best methods and where should I begin?
>>
File: SoftTouchHarness_10.jpg (25KB, 468x333px) Image search: [Google]
SoftTouchHarness_10.jpg
25KB, 468x333px
>>2269624
Try a sensation harness. It'll stop him from pulling at least, and can distract him if he tries barking. Ideally you'll only need him in one for a week before he learns that running off while on a leash is a dumb thing to do. If you don't want to/can't get this, try an ordinary or 'no-pull' harness like the one from thundershirt.
>>
>>2269625
Alright, twenty or so dollars for a harness isn't too tall of an order, but what about the barking?
>>
>>2269628
tape the mouth shut
>>
>>2269628
Can try a squirt gun or bottle, and squirt him when he barks. Some dogs respond well to that.
>>
>>2269628
Take some treats with you whenever you walk him, the treats have to be like the fucking lottery to him. try bits of bacon or anything that draws his attention.

Whenever he starts barking at anything, place the treat very close to his nose to smell it and lure him to pay attention to you. Keep his attention until the distractor goes away or you walk past them, then reward him a lot.
>>
>>2269723
Thanks for the advice, anon. I'll start edging him into this tomorrow.

>>2269668
Now, this is purely anecdotal on my behalf, but from my limited experience with my cousin's dogs whom were trained with negative enforcement, they always seemed to act up when their trainers weren't around. Maybe it's my cousins themselves, but their dogs were always poorly behaved messes.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.