[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was thinking of getting a raven, because they're big and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

I was thinking of getting a raven, because they're big and pretty damn smart. Do they make good pets? Are they loud? And how hard would it be to obtain a white one like pic related?
>>
Albinos are a super rare deformity among any species, so not likely at all.

Ravens are as expensive as a hawk to care for. They require an aviary for space, constant attention, and an appropriate diet. These birds are fairly intelligent and are very destructive when lonesome or unoccupied. Getting one is not advised if you can't afford the bird or its much needed time.

Captive breed ravens can expect to fetch a price of a few thousand starting, but may only be acquired through federally approved handlers since they're a protected species.
>>
>>2216031
So what kind of bird would you recommend that is large, smart, quiet, and can be kept in a cage?
>>
>>2216055
>large
>can be kept in a cage

Pick one.

Also
>smart
>quiet

Also pick one. These tend to not go hand in hand.
>>
>>2216055

Mawcaw's tend to vary in attitude. Childhood friend had one and the bird would rarely say anything, much less make noise. They don't require a massive aviary, but can be kept inside with a large cage and perch.

They're still pricey.
>>
Smart birds don't want to be kept in a cage and therefore will not be quiet about it.
>>
Corvids pretty much need a fullscale outdoor aviary.
Start with an easier bird, like a cockatiel.
>>
>>2216123
Serious.
Be successful with a cockatiel then move up to African grey or macaw
I went to a bird sanctuary and my heart dropped after seeing all the parrots there.
Macaws are very social. Its like having a child.
One guy had zero feathers because he pulled them all out over stress of being alone in a shit cage.
They're not just paintings on the wall.
>>
>>2216055
Why do you want to keep a smart animal in a cage?

Fuck, I'm starting to suspect that the whole "ravens r smart" hype is going to make the raven the next big neglected meme pet.
>>
>>2216055
There isn't a single one. Every large intelligent bird species cannot be kept in a cage, and are basically extremely loud permanent flying toddlers.
>>
>>2216179
I never leave my basement so i'm gonna be with it 24/7. And i want it to be big so i can easily handle it.
>>
>>2216191
If you never leave your basement, you're unfit to care for anything that's more advanced than arthropods.
>>
On a related note, how do you stop birds from shitting everywhere?
I see all these people with their birds out in their houses and I can only think of all the shit that must be all over everything.
>>
>>2216181
>basically extremely loud permanent flying toddlers.
can a normal vet remove the vocal cords like they do in dogs?

>>2216193
you're making assumptions about me without knowing me
>>
>>2216197
>can a normal vet remove the vocal cords like they do in dogs?
The fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>2216197
Well, you just proved that assumption true if you think removing the vocal cords of a bird would be acceptable if you could even find a vet that would do it.
It really sounds like a bird isn't the pet for you.
>>
>>2216031
If you can't handle noise, don't get a bird. Most birds communicate one way or the other via vocalizations.
>>
>>2216197
>never leaves the basement
>thinks birds can have their only communication tool surgically removed
>doesn't know birds shit everywhere
I think the assumption that you're a bit clueless on birds is fair. Stick to invertebrates, maybe a rodent or reptile if you have more time and money. They're the only pets that will be ok with being confined to a basement (besides NEETs of course).
>>
>>2216197
From what you've posted so far, it seems pretty obvious that you're a social recluse who wants a pet (read:toy) that's uncommon and low maintenance.

Unless you have an active, social lifestyle, a warmblooded pet really isn't for you. If you, against better judgement, decided to buy a pet raven, you'd come back here within a week and make threads about how your new raven "steals all your free time".

You should consider a herptile or an arthropod, although chances are pretty big that you'd neglect those, as well.
>>
Sounds to me like you just want a poster of a Raven. That will save you and some poor bird a whole lot of trouble.
>>
File: x354-q80.jpg (23KB, 354x354px) Image search: [Google]
x354-q80.jpg
23KB, 354x354px
>>2216231
pic highly related
>>
>>2216197
>can a normal vet remove the vocal cords like they do in dogs?
No, holy shit.
I hope you're trolling, but if you arent a raven would make your life hell. They destroy everything, and will fuck with people for fun. There was this guy a while back that had one that would divebomb people, smash it's huge sharp beak into their head and take off because it thought it was fun.

You sound completely unprepared for an animal like this, enjoy your large carnivorous animal in a cage screaming at deafening volumes all day, that sometimes gets out and ruins your house or destroys your car keys.
>>
>>2216197
You're obviously fishing for bait. If not, it sounds like you should get a cat. A shitty pet for a shitty person. You'll neglect it, but so will any other person who gets a cat so that's fine.
>>
>>2216055
Since you specified large, you probably mean a big parrot or a bird of prey. Neither of these things are quiet and can be constantly confined in a cage. Are you expecting a pretty feathered thing in your living room to look at? Please do research on bird care. As an owner of a large parrot it is literally like taking care of a child.
>>
>>2216060
*McCaw's
>>
>>2216031
OP post a pic of your trench coat and wide brimmed hat
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.