[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Extra juicy! | Home]

Why is my cat friends with a raccoon /an/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

File: img_4573677.jpg (43KB, 500x298px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
img_4573677.jpg
43KB, 500x298px
Just a half hour ago I went to see if one of my cats was outside at night here so I could let him in, and I found him just chilling with this huge raccoon by the front of my house.

My cat is an orange maine coon who is usually an ass to other cats and animals (as in, he prefers to be alone and away from them, or else he'll growl and maybe slap em' but nothing really serious). Yet, my cat didn't really do anything when this raccoon was here. He was just chilling and watching him, not even showing any aggression or anything. The raccoon wasn't even aggressive either, just wandering around and brushing up near my cat and coming up close to my door when it saw me (and then it turned around and walked away all casual-like right after).

Why didn't my cat and the raccoon feel threatened by each other? Were they being friendly, did they think one was the same animal as them?

Pic isn't my cat obviously.
>>
>maine coon
>outdoor cat
no it's just a worthless mutt.
>>
File: theface.jpg (33KB, 600x450px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
theface.jpg
33KB, 600x450px
>>2214196
>Listening to namefags
>>
>>2214195
Raccoons can be scavengers. It's hanging around your outside cat so that when it dies prematurely it can eat the carcass.
>>
File: image.gif (66KB, 223x199px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.gif
66KB, 223x199px
>outdoor cat
>>
File: patrickdoubles.gif (971KB, 500x490px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
patrickdoubles.gif
971KB, 500x490px
>be loner cat
>be aggravated be all these normie cats
>live life in angry solitude
>wish you could find someone different, someone like you
>one day
>meet, fat physically retarded cat
>something is different about this cat
>its not snobby and stuck up like the others
>it accepts you for who you are
>despite his physical oddities and not being quite as nimble, it has dexterous forward paws and is fairly clever
>shares your love of fish
>your cat prayers are answered
>tfw

Dont question it anon. Just let the friendship blossum
>>
>>2214202
Oh, that's a warm thought!
>>
>>2214195
>inb4 OPs cat gets attacked
>>
>>2214216
There is a shitposting festival about indoor/outdoor cats on this board right now, and that post was part of it.
As far as the newfound friendship is concerned maybe they both decided if they can't fuck it or fight it then leave it alone.
>>
can't wait for the thread about how a raccoon killed his outdoor cat
>>
>>2214298
>how could this happen to me?? Oh /an/ please make me feel better even though I neglected my animal
>>
They are both cunts
>>
>>2214298
My cat is alive. He's both an outdoor and an indoor cat.
>>
The raccoon didn't give a shit because the cat wasn't doing anything to fuck with him. As soon as the cat does anything to antagonize the raccoon he likely won't have any qualms about mauling the ever living fuck out of it, if need be.
>>
>>2214195
because they are both garbage mammals
>>
>>2214829
Alive for now. Not for long.
>>
Your cat is a race traitor, OP.
>>
Why is this entire board so obsessed with never letting any animals outside?

I've had 5 cats who for the past 13 years have gone outside nearly every day, in different neighborhoods throughout the years, and the worst they've ever gotten was a cut up shoulder which very well could have been the result of them scratching themselves.

Yes, it's not as safe, but the cats enjoy being outside and it allows them to have at least some level of freedom.
>>
File: 1471758878668.jpg (310KB, 720x1038px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1471758878668.jpg
310KB, 720x1038px
>>2214215
>tfw
>>
>>2215163
>I've had 5 cats who for the past 13 years
>Had.

Cats are meant to live for more than 13 years, anon. If you're going through 5 in that time it sounds like an issue.
>>
>>2215175
We got them when they were kittens, and they're still alive. Nice try though.
>>
>>2215163
I think most people have a problem with it when the cat is an invasive species that fuck up the ecosystem. I'm not sure if that's all that common though.
>>
>>2215163
People like you are why the Galapagos islands have gone to shit
>>
>>2215288
Galapagos is drowning anyway.

Now the ice age, that fucked things up. A whole lot of Europe's flora gone. I am glad we are getting some new ones (many of which we used to have native species of).

Also if only rodents and monkeys never drifted to South America and the Great American Interchange never happened we would have another Australia.

Of course, I see your point. But on a long enough time base this kind of stuff happens. Galapogos happened by the way because sailors needed food, not so much cat owners.

Roaming cats should be avoidable but don't be so hysterical.
>>
>>2215465
The sun is going to fry all life on earth so who gives a shit about anything then?
>>
>>2215163
cats are invasive predators with few natural checks on their population, and in some areas can even be apex predators

they're absolutely devastating to local wildlife and if they're not fixed they breed like fucking crazy
>>
>>2215465
Try seeing the current condition of the islands, dingus.

The primary issue is: cats killing a wide range of native species; followed by imported plants squeezing out the native flora.
>>
File: image.jpg (67KB, 564x423px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
67KB, 564x423px
>>2215494
>Babby's first read-through of Wikipedia's 'Nihilism' entry
>>
>>2215494
This is why I don't feel qualms about shooting outdoor cats recreationally. They're going to die anyway.
>>
>>2215868
>This is why I don't feel qualms about shooting puppies/babies/pizza delivery guys recreationally. They're going to die anyway.
>everything is destined to die at some stage so murdering for fun is justified
Are you a professional edgelord?
>>
>>2215802
>Having an outdoors cat in a rural area or suburb in a flyover state does the same ecological damage as cats on a small isolated island with a high degree of biodiversity

Unless you live on some beautiful untouched rainforest island with a ton of native species there is no reason to not let the cat outside. It's not the same thing at all. Every bird extinction due to feline predation was on some remote island with birds that had never seen cats and therefore had no natural fear of them.
>>
Are people actually upset about the concept of an outdoor cat? I thought /an/ would be more full of people who have compassion for animals, and not emotionally retarded selfish babies who think life inside a house/apartment is better than a statistically shortened life with free passage between a home and the outdoors. Usually that's a level of aggressive, angry stupidity reserved for the big subculture boards like /v/.
>>
>>2215873
I was making a point, silly.
>>
>>2215873
Killing outdoor cats isn't murder. In fact, where I live, it's completely legal if it is on your property.
>>
>>2214215
I agree with anon.

Your cat found a bud, don't harm the con.
>>
File: 1464013671746.png (445KB, 911x813px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1464013671746.png
445KB, 911x813px
>>2214201
>He doesn't know how to disable names/tripcodes.
>>
>>2215899
>the reality I got told isn't the reality I like :(
>therefore you are selfish and mean :(

if you don't like the idea of confining the cat inside then don't have a cat. Outdoor cats are pests.
>>
That's one Nice fucking Kitty
>>
>>2215891
Even in suburbia there's some places with rare species that get decimated by cats.

But it's not the cats fault, if people that always claim to love animals, and post animals all day on facebook, took a moment of their time to learn about rare species around them, conservation would be a lot easier.
>>
>>2217432
Asking cat owners to be aware of their environment is way too much. They're honestly the most retarded group of people I've ever met.
>>
>>2217432
I remembered talking to some animal owners in my area and they all have a story how their cats and their dogs being attacked by this one family's outdoor cats. They are literal savages and one of them fuckers tried to sneak up on my doggo.
>>
>>2214299
Do you get paid for this?

>>2214230
>There is a shitposting festival about indoor/outdoor cats on this board right now
I am having quite the giggle
>>
>>2217478
>thinking people get paid for talking about how shitty animals cats are

I see that toxoplasmosis is treating you well.
>>
>>2217432
sometimes it is just natural selction. some species just are not meant to be
>>
>>2217480
you may be onto something

I've heard that paranoia and irrational anger is a symptom of toxoplasmosis
>>
>>2217480
I dont literally think this. I am just amazed at how persistently your shitposts come up. Keep it going my man
>>
>>2217482
>Natural selection, with anything involving breeders.
>>
>>2214986
Yes anon, that's how life works. Things die. Good job.
>>
>>2217512
wasnt talking about breeding.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.