[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/corvid/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 10

File: crow.png (878KB, 1024x888px) Image search: [Google]
crow.png
878KB, 1024x888px
Crows, magpies, Jays, Ravens, and all other forms of corvid discussion is welcome here!

Invited:
People who love birds of the corvid family

Not Invited:
Nobody

>Why corvids?
Because they're the scientists of the avian world.
>But I thought they were assholes/pests?
Some are territorial and many are loud, however they also exhibit bro-like behavior towards humans who are respectful to them.
>>
Is it possible to domesticate or at least become friendly with street birds?

If I pet one, will I die of HIV?
>>
>>2170428
Post a picture of these black birds op. I know very little. I cannot even tell the difference between a crow and a raven. I think raven is bigger byord.
>>
>>2170434
Ravens are unmistakably larger. IIRC they're also more iridescent and shiny so they'll appear more blue than black in light.
>>
File: 8405304964_cea11722d2_b.jpg (208KB, 1024x708px) Image search: [Google]
8405304964_cea11722d2_b.jpg
208KB, 1024x708px
>>2170432
They aren't known to be domesticated, but if you feed them they've been recorded to exhibit friendly attitudes towards people. If you are on good terms with a murder of crows, they've been known to protect your shit to some extent.
>>2170434
Crows and ravens are very similar, in that both are dark birds in the family of corvidae, and both are incredibly intelligent birds who exhibit friendly tendencies towards humans.
>>2170437
>Ravens are unmistakably larger. IIRC they're also more iridescent and shiny so they'll appear more blue than black in light.
This is correct. Pic related.
>>
I have a scrub jay that visits my balcony because I put seeds out for the local birds. He's so jittery and nervous and flys away at tiny motion but I really want to be friends
>>
File: 358351746.jpg (221KB, 670x440px) Image search: [Google]
358351746.jpg
221KB, 670x440px
Corvids are the reason I started liking birds, saw an eagle in person at a zoo recently and I can see why they are used to hunt, gargantuan birds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYwRMEomJMM
its like they are humans trapped in bird bodies, sadly you can't have them as pets where I live

Hell its illegal to even feed them so they will come visit you often
>>
>>2170432
I became friendly with a magpie that lived in my grandparents yard. It would come when i called it, and it would sit on my head and groom me. Great party trick.
>>
There's this one magpie that flies to my balcony when it rains heavily but flies away when it sees any movement from the windows. I think the same magpie gets bullied by local crows.
>>
>>2170442
Couple more ways to tell the difference,

>raven tail feathers while in flight form a sort of squished diamond appearance, with a point on the end
>crow tail feathers in flight are a smooth semi circle with middle point
>ravens have pretty thick legs as opposed to the skinny magpie-style legs of crows
>if you see a black bird and think holy shit that bird is huge, it's a raven
>ravens have longer wider beaks

It's a bit tricky with juveniles but adults are quite easy to differentiate.
>>
>>2170587
>*smooth semi circle with NO middle point
>>
File: 58359663_magpieheadstudyedge.jpg (22KB, 377x480px) Image search: [Google]
58359663_magpieheadstudyedge.jpg
22KB, 377x480px
>>2170561
Do you mean European magpies? Australian magpies, while not actual corvids are mean as fuck birds but also really smart. There's been a recent brood next to house, used to get swooped before by the old ones but I think the new ones recognise me now. Been meaning to feed them, apparently can be tamed to an extent too.

But yeah they're big scary fuckers come spring if they don't like you. Pretty sure they chased away a mating pair of fairly large ravens and also a huge group of cockatoos, because they left around time the magpies came in. Top guns of our skies, except maybe wedgies but don't see many of them around the cities
>>
File: r324313_1451003.jpg (22KB, 480x343px) Image search: [Google]
r324313_1451003.jpg
22KB, 480x343px
>>2170619
Lol apparently they take on the eagles too, crazy fuckers
>>
File: images (3).jpg (14KB, 467x315px) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
14KB, 467x315px
>>2170625
>>
File: 3930057083_31ac59737f.jpg (11KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
3930057083_31ac59737f.jpg
11KB, 480x320px
>>2170626
>>
File: magpie.jpg (403KB, 650x435px) Image search: [Google]
magpie.jpg
403KB, 650x435px
>>2170619
Do I sound like an aussie, cunt?
>>
>>2170632
Nah just wanted to post magpies tee bee h
>>
Unidan, pls go
>>
>>2170442
Your first response reminds me of the "crow wars story" thats usually in the best of /b threads
>>
File: 2016-07-20 23.25.24.jpg (765KB, 3004x2111px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-20 23.25.24.jpg
765KB, 3004x2111px
>>2170428
one of my favorite Corvids is pic related
they are just fun to watch and it's interesting to see them fight

Also, they are beautiful
>>
Why do people hate magpies so much?
>>
>>2171550
some idiots hate them, like my stupid neighbour

She says "They are loud and I wants to sleep"
And that´s her stupid reason to poison them

Luckily the bitch poisoned her cat accidentally too. I´d say she had it coming
>>
I like the thought that in a few million years crows or some other corvid will evolve into a highly intelligent species that becomes the next dominant species to control Earth while looking at our fossils and what remnants there are of our creations and fantasizing about what we were like.
>>
>>2170442
>>2170587

As a bird watcher I feel stupid I can't tell the difference between a crow and a raven. I was in the mountains last week to find new birds and there was a fuckhuge black bird in the parking lot which I assumed was a raven, but the more I stared at it I just couldn't be sure it wasn't a large crow. On your pic the difference between a huge crow and a tiny raven is only 1 inch, and at a distance of 300 yards that's really hard to judge. Wingspan difference seems huge, but if it's not flying what else can I do to tell them apart? I mean I was looking through binoculars so I couldn't really make out any details. I really want to find a raven.
>>
>>2171537
This one?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.