[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am adopting a heartworm positive dog in the coming weeks. She

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: heartworms-suck-1.gif (23KB, 528x650px) Image search: [Google]
heartworms-suck-1.gif
23KB, 528x650px
I am adopting a heartworm positive dog in the coming weeks. She is getting her injections this week, and I will be allowing her to rest for 2 weeks before taking her home (which from my research is when the worst of the complications associated to the treatment are).

Has anyone here gone through heartworm treatment with their dog? Any advice or insight that reading everything online never told you? I really want to make sure she is happy and healthy.
>>
make sure she gets absolutely no exercise for the next 2 weeks and you'll be fine. post some pics of your new doggo :3
>>
File: clip+(2016-05-14+at+03.57.27).jpg (308KB, 2000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
clip+(2016-05-14+at+03.57.27).jpg
308KB, 2000x1125px
>>2124397
Thanks anon. Luckily she is going to be at the shelter for the first two weeks, then strictly regulated bed rest for 4-6 after that.

She is getting the two-shot protocol, so I am a little worried she might need another round of treatment in a few months.

Also this is the pupper in question. She is a qt.
>>
>>2124478
Adorable pupper OP, good on you for adopting her in spite of the medical issue.
>>
Hey op - dog rescue and foster here. Have gone through a few fosters that had heartworm (shame on you, North Carolina).

Make sure when pupper gets home she goes right into a daily routine with you - try to make her days as normal as possible without over-stressing her body. Do not screwup/forget her meds. Ever.

As for exercise - yep, she still needs twice daily walks. HOWEVER, these walks should be no more than 20-30 minutes and not more than a few blocks. Let her sniff and take as much time as she needs and if she tries to pull just stop walking and take one slow step at a time. Mental stimulation during her recovery is crucial to her well-being - getting out for walks is the best way to accomplish that without making her work too hard. After a couple weeks of that slow walking, add another couple blocks to the walk and increase the pace a little. Watch her for excessive panting and especially dizziness or walking funny. If it's hot outside, saturate her belly/chest fur with water prior to the walk - that will keep her cool (watering under the dog keeps the coolness longer since the sun won't evaporate it from the fur).

If she is lethargic after her meal, consider dividing her daily meal into several smaller ones.

Fresh water ALL the time in a clean bowl to keep bacteria levels down and not compromise her system any further.

Brush her, massage her, wash her face and body with a wet cloth, talk to her in a soothing voice. Use her illness to bond with her. Play simple games with soft toys to keep her occupied. You can also use the time to teach simple new tricks (hold/drop) or reinforce sit/stay, etc. No jumping or running - everything at slow pace. Outings (aside from short walks and pee/poo) should be just sitting in the yard quietly smelling the air and resting in the grass. Maybe a car ride around the block - make sure you lift her in/out of the car.

Dogs can fight heartworm, I'm sure your pup will be fine.

Anything else, ask your vet.
>>
>>2124494
This is great! Thank you for your advice.
>>
>>2124555

You're very welcome. One final note...

She may have to be on prednisone (steroid) for the duration of her recovery. Some dogs urinate more when on this drug. Make sure you take her out frequently for the first few days or first full week to see if that's happening. She'll enjoy being outside even if it's just for a few minutes anyway and it may save you from cleaning up pee or her feeling like she has to hold it if she's already housetrained.

Good luck to you and your cute little girl.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.