[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My friend bought a feeder mouse to give to his pet and I wouldn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

File: Feeder_Mouse.jpg (147KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
Feeder_Mouse.jpg
147KB, 450x338px
My friend bought a feeder mouse to give to his pet and I wouldn't allow it, so now I have a feeder mouse as a pet. I went to petsmart, bought a small cage, some food, and a little igloo house for him/her.

What else do I need to know? What are some good names for a mouse and how long do they live?
>>
Name it Lab Experiment.
>>
I was thinking of getting a live bird to feed to my cat
>>
>>2120292
too long

>>2120307
he was going to feed it to his dog

I believe I did him, the mouse, and the dog a favor
>>
just give it plenty of shredded newspaper and leaves and stuff for it to build a nest with

that's all they really care about. if you put shiny things or weird things in its cage it might take it to decorate the nest with, they do stuff like that. maybe get it a friend later on
>>
>>2120286
>and I wouldn't allow it

why? It's a dollar mouse that your friend has probably already replaced and gave to his pet

you just bought housing for an inbred mouse that wasnt going to live past a year even if it WAS a prime specimen

remove mouse. Get a bigger, nicer cage and get two rats, m9. They'll live longer and actually like you for saving their lives

>>2120317
>get it a friend

only if its female. Male mice gnaw eachothers balls off when housed together. look up 'Barbering'
>>
>>2120311
Not that anon but you could call it Lee for short. I like Lab Experiment as the name

Alternatively, Pinky or Brain
>>
>>2120311
>he was going to feed it to his dog
Wat
>>
>>2120286
Mice are cuties. Can you post a pic of yours?
>>
>>2120325
>why?
Because it was only for the purpose of providing the dog entertainment as a chew toy, luckily it won't happen now or in the future.

The mouse looks healthy and fine, it may live a year or not but it'll live out it's days being taken care of. I'm not interested in a rat, nor a mouse really but a mouse is small enough to not be a nuisance and it's kind of cool when monkeying around the cage climbing on the wired sides.

Rats are too big, need more room than the cage I bought and probably piss and shit a ton more; I've had a guinea pig before and my friend had a ferret that absolutely wreaked of shit and piss. While I loved my guinea pig at the time, I'm older now and don't want another one or a rat for sure.

>>2120360
Exactly.
>>
>>2120360
>>2120443

dogs were bred to kill pests. A feeder mouse is adequate stimulation every one in a while, Especially for a terrier. Or a cat
>>
>>2120449
It's called a dog toy. You can stimulate a dog just fine without feeding it live animals.
It'd be another thing if it was a snake that refuses to take pre-killed food, but in this case, it's unneeded suffering.
>>
>>2120449
Aren't there easier and more humane ways to give your animals stimulation?
>>
>>2120443
>luckily it won't happen now or in the future.
He's just gonna buy another one and feed that while you're not looking.
>>
>>2120497
Nah. I worded my statements in a simpler manner than I should have. It wasn't his dog, it was a dog he was looking after for a mutual friend of ours.

Nobody was upset but there was a mouse that existed then and I got a cheap cage kit for it that came with aspen bedding/chew toys/food bowl/water bottle.
>>
>>2120496
>>2120495

you can get a mouse for less than a dollar though. My lab and pit will play with a dead mouse for hours and usually kills them instantly. No worse than a snake
and cheaper than even cheap dog toys
>>
>Being this much of a hippie
It's just a feeder mouse. It would've been fed to someone's pet eventually anyway, that's literally the entire reason it exists.
>>
>>2120443
For the record, ferrets are notoriously stinky by design (they need regular baths even if descented/fixed) and guinea pig urine is so fucking foul their cages need to be cleaned like every 4 days. I have rats and don't even START smelling their cage until like day 5-6 post-cleaning. Rats are not stinky animals unless you're using shitty bedding.
>>
>>2120624
You're the only one who's talking about costs.
>>
>>2120710
what else is there to talk about? It's a feeder mouse. Cost is all it has going for it

they dont make good pets. They dont live long and they're cheap toys for preying animals.

This thread is clearly meant to backpat OP for doing 'good' when he may as well have rescued a feeder goldfish or dubia roach
>>
>>2120603
Use newspaper, not aspen. Cheaper and it won't give the mouse respiratory problems. Soft tissue or papertowel for it's nest, Scatter its food around the bedding so it has to forage for it and this will give it stimulation.
>>
Good on you for taking care of the mouse. Its stupid that people justify doing anything they want with animal simply because humans are a dominant species.

Fuck em, play with the mouse and give it a good life before it dies (even if it can only live to a year).
>>
>>2120812
>they're cheap toys

No, they're food. Breed to be food.

If you want to give the dog a toy, you buy it a freaking toy. Hell, some dogs are happy with empty soda bottles.

You don't buy a dog a living animal for a toy.
>>
>>2120822
>You don't buy a dog a living animal for a toy.
says you. I think you're empathizing too much with an animal bred specifically to die
>>
>>2120824
You're the one taking life and death a little too lightly here, bud.
>>
>>2120843
>taking life and death a little too lightly here
and what exactly are the consequences of taking the life of a feeder too lightly?

Go ahead and lay that morality on me
>>
File: 1457893629743.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1457893629743.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>2120286
Buy model rocket, create mousetronaut space program
>>
It's a feeder mouse, it's going to be neurotic and die in about 6months.
Use newspaper and cotton rags for bedding. That thing is gonna pee EVERYWHERE so change the newspaper once a week.
DO NOT HANDLE IT not because it's gross but because you will significantly shorten it's life span. When picking it up wear gloves. Keep the cage away from any stimulus as well. Mice are not stable animals and will die for the sheer thrill of it. Do not give it a water bowl it will drown itself in it. Do not give it a friend, they will brutally murder each other.
Wire cages do not work for mice. If it hasn't already escaped it will soon. I recommend a tank like the ones people use for African land snails. They're cheap and effective.
If you like the mouse give it a toilet roll tube stuffed with a tissue. They find them enjoyable.
You didn't do good, you didn't do bad.

Also Cheeser is a good name cause the cheesy git escaped death.

In other news don't give your dogs live mice unless they've been eating them since they were young. I almost lost my terrier when a mouse crawled down her throat and she choked.
>>
>>2120863
>needing consequences to do the right thing

Kindergartener/10 m8
>>
>>2120871
SO MANY things wrong with your post. Feeder doesn't guarantee neurotic. It could be, or it might not be.

You can handle them as long as your gentle, slow, and don't grab/cling.

You can get them a buddy of the same sex, though if it's a boy you will have to go through a few of them to find one that's pretty chill. You introduce them by switching some of their soiled litter back and forth between cages for about a week or more, then put them both in a large empty, cardboard box that is like neutral ground and see how they do with each other.

Cage is fine as long as their heads can't fit through the bars, glass is difficult to clean because pneumonia can build up from soiled bedding. With glass you should be changing bedding every 4 days max, and doing a scrub down to make sure none of it cakes on the bottom.

I used to own and breed feeders for the local petshop.
>>
>>2120890
>>2120890
Feeder doesn't guarantee neurotic, being a mouse does.
You can handle them if they've been raised from a baby being handled but if not you reduce the lifespan. The mice I've known that were handled had significantly shorter lifespans. The ones that weren't were making 2.5 years.
You can get a buddy (in fact three seems to work quite well) but you cannot just go out a "get it a friend" it takes time and effort to get mice to get along and sometimes they just plain won't like each other and then op would have twice the problem.
I have seen mice ram their heads through bars and crack their skulls trying to fit. It may or may not happen but most hamster cages tend to not be mouse proof. Plus they can open the little door things even if it's set in the roof of the cage.
Plastic snail tanks are cheap and can be thrown in the dishwasher of washed in the bath/sink with hot water and serious detergent. One mouse should not provide enough ammonia to be a problem providing the tank is an appropriate size.
>>
>>2120871
>>2120890
>>2120914
Good Lord, you guys make it sound like having a mouse is rocket science.

Minnie is doing fine, she plays in her cage, climbs around the mesh and has made her home in the little igloo. She munches on her food and hasn't done anything neurotic besides not run in her wheel. She seems very curious of her surroundings.
>>
>>2120938
That's great anon! Hope she does good. I really recommend you use either cloth or newspaper for the bedding, as aspen and woodshaving type bedding is well known for causing respiratory issues in rodents.
>>
I don't know guys...not even close to a hippie but giving live mice to your dog as a toy?

Never heard that in my entire life.
>>
>>2120938
Sorry bro, I am super into my mice and I just lost my eldest girl. If she's calm and being normal then you lucked out, feeder mice round here tend to be in really bad condition.
Keep checking the mesh for mouse sized gaps but if she's doing fine she's doing fine.
Seriously though. No to the aspen.
>>
>>2120874
Do you know how my grandfather trained his beagles to run rabbits?

He told me he would go out and buy a rabbit, and let the dog fuck with it for a few minutes.
Then he tied a noose around it, hitched it to his jeep, and drug it around his yard a-la ISIS several times while the dog went apeshit chasing it.

Feeding a mouse to a pit, which would kill it almost immediately, hardly seems like the worst thing imaginable.
>>
>>2120286
Cute little fucker.

I have 2 rats, I don't know how similar they are but get him some bedding, shredded paper is best, I don't know how sensitive mice are to wood bedding.

And if you can, get him a couple buddies, they're social animals, they need to hang out and clean each other, plus they're fun to watch.

They have to be all the same sex though, otherwise they will have sexual intercourse if you know what I'm saying.

And a workout wheel.

They're actually cheap to maintain, unless they get sick, then they can be a bit expensive, not as expensive as say, a dog or a cat though.
>>
>>2120994
Yeah, but why make the mouse suffer when your dog can get the same effect from a stick?
>>
>>2120997
Actually, the buddies thing only goes for female mice. Male mice can't live together peacefully like male rats.
>>
>>2120286
You need to know that you're a yellow belly.

Animals eat living things, it's pretty much the definition.

Faggot
>>
>>2121537
>You need to know that you're a yellow belly
weird how the "yellow belly" ended up with the mouse while the courageous one didn't.
>>
>>2120874
>the right thing

as defined by whom?
>>
File: barbering.jpg (18KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
barbering.jpg
18KB, 300x300px
>>2120997
>and if you can, get him a couple buddies, they're social animals

where do you idiots come from?
>>
>>2120635
But it isn't made for being a toy. These mouses are being bred for snakes, reptiles and others. But not for dogs. I think this person does do the right thing and I think more people should be like this. They are being there as food not as a toy so this is a good safe.
>>
>>2120818
True words have been spoken finally someone that does think out of the box.
>>
>>2121610
I think it's rat people just assuming mice are just smaller rats rather than an animal with different needs and behaviors.
>>
>>2120994
>à la ISIS

top kek m80
>>
>>2121610
>>2121784

>COMPANIONSHIP

In their natural state, rats and mice are sociable members of colonies. Therefore, keeping two instead of one will meet their need to play and interact with their own kind. They should be of the same sex (except for male mice as they will fight), unless you have plenty of friends willing to adopt a continuous supply of new babies!

http://www.afrma.org/caresheet.htm

Also, that pic does not look like a fight. Mice don't just pull out hair, they usually take some skin too. That's more than likely a genetic mix between the rex style fur, and the no fur gene.
>>
>>2121800

Did you read your source?

>(except for male mice as they will fight)

Male mice can't live with other males unless introduced to each other very young (as in under a month old) and even that is a crap shoot. They may be social animals, but male mice are meant to socialize with his females and fight off other males. Keeping them together in an enclosed space only escalates the violence.
>>
Want a good name?
Bubonicus.
>>
>>2121802
I don't think anyone was ever arguing that anon, I was just letting those two know that mice are social. Females like to groom each other and such. They don't necessarily -need- a partner, but they tend to be less timid if they have one.

OP should know pretty soon if he has a male or not as the balls will drop, or may already have.
>>
>>2120974
There was a webm on here where a guy bought a puppy and fed it to his python
Some people get off on death for no reason essentially, but defend it with really poor arguments.
>>
>>2121810
>I don't think anyone was ever arguing that anon

>>2120997
>And if you can, get him a couple buddies, they're social animals
>him
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.