[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else here obsessed with bettas?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 20

File: betta4.jpg (117KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
betta4.jpg
117KB, 900x900px
Anyone else here obsessed with bettas?
>>
I used to be. I used to breed really awesome Mustard Gas HM bettas. Purple with yellow fins and either blue or black outlining of the fins. Holy shit they were gorgeous.
However, the health of bettas continues to decrease the fancier they get. I switched to plakats for a while since they're a lot hardier, but the health standards on them are going to shit too.
>>
File: tumblr_no8tqfHBM61td4j31o1_500.jpg (73KB, 500x389px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_no8tqfHBM61td4j31o1_500.jpg
73KB, 500x389px
I have been looking for a pink betta for years.
>>
>>2119392
Jesus thats wonderful

>>2119388
Do you still breed?
>>
Owned one when I was younger. I named him Flash since he was red with some yellow markings. I usually did my homework by his bowl and socialized with him for a bit each day. Loved that fish to death.

Sadly, my sister had decided to unknowingly invite the neighborhood niggers over with anyone's permission. My pokemon collection, gameboy, and a few other things came up missing, but what really hurt is that my fish was crucially injured using a pen (Stabbed a few times). Turns out the youngest of them walked into my room and decided the harmless creature shouldn't live.

Found out a week later that everything was planned because their "baby's mama" decided to plot a hate crime against us. Cops didn't do shit about our stolen stuff of the harrasment.

About a year later, their apartment burnt to the ground because the mom was an apparent drug abuser and caught the house on fire after passing out while boiling water. She and her newborn died. The olest was taken into custody while the others were already safe elsewhere months before that from an invervention with child services.
>>
File: mcgruff01.gif (21KB, 200x378px) Image search: [Google]
mcgruff01.gif
21KB, 200x378px
>>2119412
>She and her newborn died.
Sounds like a real crime fighter.

RIP, McGruff would be proud.
>>
>>2119412
You should get another. They're very personable and very easy to take care of.
>>
MUH MORPHS
>>
No their stupid
>>
>>2119412
Holy fuck I raged

Fucking niggers, man

Fucking niggers
>>
>>2119444
>their
>>
>>2119412
>sister
>invite the neighborhood niggers
how
>>
File: betta.jpg (49KB, 635x477px) Image search: [Google]
betta.jpg
49KB, 635x477px
>>2119388
My first fish was a (kinda) mustard gas halfmoon. I killed him cycling my tank. Well water probably didn't help. Then I rook on a couple charity cases that all died fairly quickly.
Over time I've come to think the giant stupid cumbersome fins are stupid and cumbersome, so if I ever got another it would be a plakat, or maybe a wild type. I really like albimarginata.
>>
>>2119500
why not
>>
>>2119412
Wow man how long has that been on your chest? You basically spent more time moaning about your childhood than talking about your actual betta. Hope you feel better now.

Guess nothing good will come of this thread now.
>>
>>2119504
Mouthbrooders are super cool. I'd like to try keeping Betta edithae.
>>
>>2119405
Don't breed anymore but I love all labyrinth fish. I might get into plakats if I can cross breed to wild type to improve health. Maybe. Maybe. It's takes up so much space though because you have to separate the males out. The girls can get divided into a few sororities and be fine but the males eventually end up taking hours of care just to keep them clean and healthy and not stressed. And you have to have enough genetic lines to not inbreed your fish too much and unless you can sell your fry at a decent price, it's just an endless money drain. And out of every hatching, there are only a few fish that are actually breeding/sales quality. And those lovely, fancy fins get really gnarly if you breed your fish a lot. Which you pretty much have to do if you're trying to break even (you will never make a profit! unless you live in a shitty 3rd world country with no cost of living to speak of).
>>
>>2119392
That's a red betta that is severely stressed...
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2444x2444px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2444x2444px
This plakat came home a few days ago. Hopefully he colours up soon.
>>
>>2119446

Your stupid too.
>>
File: DSC00143.jpg (860KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00143.jpg
860KB, 1920x1080px
I just bought one on impulse

Probably a really stupid idea. I named him Dragon
>>
>>2119693
Arent all bettas impulse buys. Also show us close up of dragon
>>
>>2119674
Really you never made a profit? That's really sad because I've been wanting to breed them since I was in 9th grade and I finally thought this year was the year.
>>
File: P_20160510_222729[1].jpg (483KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
P_20160510_222729[1].jpg
483KB, 1600x1200px
>>2119705
sorry, shit camera

and he wont sit still. He's mostly black with silver/dark blue-tinged sides
>>
File: P_20160510_223316[1].jpg (278KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
P_20160510_223316[1].jpg
278KB, 1280x720px
>>2119737
>>
>>2119735
Nope. No profit. And I was working with award winning lines.

Also, I would have huge fry die off due to genetic issues. A lot of the fry would have horrible disfigurement from all the inbreeding. And I was really careful to not inbreed myself. You really only get 1 to 3 good fish out of every batch.
>>
>>2119748
Fuck. This makes me upset.
>>
>>2119755
Also, if you actually do this, you'll have dozens to hundreds of fish that look exactly the same. Or at least in the same family of colors and patterns. You will label their containers with names like HMMGB12caM and HMMGB17caF thru HMMG33caF (last 2 is an example of a label for a sorority tank). And then there will be the ever so flashy HMMG04ggM. And they all look the same.
>>
Breed the fish if you want to, I just wouldn't recommend going all out with the really expensive, award winning fish. If you breed the healthier, less flashy, less expensive fish that haven't been inbred to hell and back, you're going to have a lot more success and you'll spend WAY less money on your hobby.
>>
>>2119375
just bought a super mustard , have a couple butterflys and have a crowntail i adopted that was in bad condition and nursed him back

really like that little female in the top right

I really want a super in white to put in my iwagami tank but i cant find any master race bettas to put in there

pic related is my favorite little bastard
>>
My cat is. She always watches it and she will paw at the glass and when the betta swims away she will chase after it
>>
I have my betta in a 3.5 gallon tank

Was going to upgrade to 10 as per internet advice but is it really necessary? She seems happy enough to be out of the dinky cup she was sold in
>>
>>2120037
>is it really necessary?
no
>>
>>2119504
How the hell do you kill your fish cycling a tank?
Do you guys not use cycling chemicals? They really work you know, provided you buy real ones like AquaSafe and Prime. I have 2 50 gallons, 1 60 gallon and 3 10 gallons and I've never cycled shit other than dumping the correct dosage of AquaSafe in them and they've all been flourishing for years. I've never had anything die from cycling or the initial tank introduction.
>>
>>2120037
Depends what kind of aquarium you have.

If you bought one of those shitty ones from Walmart or Petco, yes, I'd suggest upgrading just for easier maintenance. It's not the size of the aquarium that kills your beta, it's the fact that tiny aquariums are a fucking pain in the ass to clean without dumping everything out (which is bad because it fucks with your cycle) and when you throw in the equipment and decorations you're left with like half of the space left.

If you have one of those fancy custom ones with proper compact equipment + heater and maybe some live plats, then yeah sure.

It's all up to you though, it wont die from being in a small tank but you really up it's chance of catching a bacterial infection if you keep it in a tank that gets dirty very quickly.
>>
So Plakats are just short-fins? Do they come in all of the exotic mutations like copper or is selection more limited?
>>
File: IMG_20160511_160012 crop.jpg (1MB, 2344x2072px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160511_160012 crop.jpg
1MB, 2344x2072px
Pic related is my betta. I took him from my mother because she was complaining about how it didn't go with the background of her tank, and she was adamant about buying a second one and having them just duke it out, so I took this guy. He had a lot more white on him before, but after being in my tank he turned more blue. Sort of a shame, really. He looked very cool before. My mom paid $12 for him.
>>
>>2120040
Like I said, he was my first fish. My friend and the guy at Petco told me "Bettas survive cycling fine because they breathe air." I haven't made the same mistake since.
I haven't had to cycle a tank from scratch in years. I just use old media from other tanks.

>>2120062
Plakats come in all colors. You can even have crowntail and twin tail plakats, but I guess those might be more inbred.
>>
Is it a dumb idea to get a betta off of ebay?
>>
File: 0511161827.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
0511161827.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
This is my oldest guy, Fishler.
>>
File: 0511162136.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
0511162136.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
And this is the new cutie I bought yesterday. He went around flaring at everything as soon as I introuced him to the tank.
>>
>>2120867
I think they are mostly overpriced but I do think it would be better for you to buy one that is in your own country and shell out for overnight shipping. You don't want a fish that has been dead for days mailed to you.

Aquabid has cheaper prettier ones.
>>
>>2120889
>>2119504
Gorgeous fishies
>>
Why do betta fish fuck up every other fish?

Even other betta fish, even if they're the opposite gender?

How do they even procreate if they hate each other?

Damn nature, you retarded.
>>
>>2119412
whatever you think about black people, I feel for the kids too. despite them being no good hoodlums it must stink to grow up like that.
>>
>>2120867
People put their fish up on ebay and Aquabid simultaneously so most of the fish you buy on ebay are fish you would buy from aquabid. Aquabid has more of a selection and better breeders so I would try there first.
>>
>>2120886
How old is he?

>>2120922
They don't if they're in a community tank. The only fish they're aggressive towards are each other and fish that look similar. Also the reason it isn't advised to put bettas in with other fish is because they get bullied not the other way around.
>>
>>2120922
An aquarium isn't the wild.
>>
>>2120922
Wow I haven't seen you in like 6 years
>>
>>2119412
Children like your sister and the nigglets are the reason I don't want to have children. Even if mine turns out ok they might have kids like that over without permission.
>>
>>2119412
The angered spirit of your deceased fish caused the fire.

Now with his murderer's lives ruined, he may now rest in peace.

He'll be waiting for you in valhalla.
>>
>>2120956
It would be racist for you to be mad about it, too.
>>
>>2120968
>REDS posts on /an/
havent seen you outside of /v/ ever
>>
>>2120889
I have this same fish but mine wont flaunt for me yet

I just found out this morning that he was white between the fins like that when I startled him
>>
>>2119375
They're beautiful. I had a black and red beta when I was in middle school. His name was Bowser. I want to get another one but I'm broke lol.
>>
>>2121240
>but I'm broke lol.

are you living on packet noodles? You can get a betta for %4 at a petsmart and a bowl for not much more than that
>>
>>2121248
>%4
uh $5
>>
>>2120886
I've had him for over a year now. He's much bigger than the other one I posted who is fresh from the store. Hes gorgeous, but likes to nip his tail.
>>
>>2121248
>bowl
You still need a heater, dechlorinator, and food.
>>
>>2121491
>heater
I've been filling an unpainted steel water bottle with hot water and immersing it in my tank if the water gets cold. You can feed a beta with ants from your floor. I guess you still have a point with dechlorinization though, probably not hard to distill water though.
>>
>>2120968
Wow, I haven't seen you in forever, dude. What's up?

>>2121060
I've seen him hanging around on /tf2g/ over on /vg/.
>>
>>2120939
It's a self-perpetuating cycle. Poor kids grow up to be shitheads, you see it with white trash too. Unfortunately, most of them are too god damned dumb to even realize they're in such a shitty cycle and break it.
>>
>>2121491
you dont need a heater unless you live in Canada or something

food is 2.99 and a dechlorinator for the same price

so
$5 for the fish
$10 for the bowl
$3 for the food
$3 for the conditioner

$21 bucks and you have yourself a pet

another dollar if you dont have any epsom salt lying around
>>
File: the boyzzz.png (3MB, 2048x680px) Image search: [Google]
the boyzzz.png
3MB, 2048x680px
Yes. I always want to keep buying and buying them. Every time I go into an aquarium shop I fall in love with a betta. Why can't they just be a community fish so I can buy a 120 gallon tank and fill it with bettas. Instead these bastards take up so much space because I spoil them. I have one side of a divided 15 gallon tank that I want to put a crayfish in but I know I'm going to end up with another betta instead.
Pic is Wendell on the right (he was sickly and pale when I got him, like the character on the Simpsons), and Koi on the left.
>>
>>2121627
>$10 for the bowl
You can literally buy a 10 gallon tank for that and not be a total piece of shit.
Also, Chinese heaters and filters are like $7 each on eBay and they work fine.
>>
>>2121832
You named your koi color betta Wendell and your butterfly color betta Koi?
>>
>>2121917
>You can literally buy a 10 gallon tank for that

bullshit. Show me a place that sells tanks for $10. Typical price is $20 and $15 on sale rarely

A bowl is fine as long as its cleaned properly and the poster is clearly hurting for cash
>>
>>2122105
Petco, Petsmart, Pet Supplies Plus, etc. each have $1 per gallon sales several times each year. Or buy used.
>>
>>2122108
you arent providing any proof

>Or buy used.
that's definitely an option depending on where the person lives

>>2121917
>Also, Chinese heaters and filters are like $7 each on eBay and they work fine.

you still dont NEED a heater. Bettas are fine at room temp
>>
>>2122110
Not that anon but yes, they are always having sales for $1 a gallon. You are just an idiot and not looking. Google it yourself, it comes up you, lazy bastard.
>>
>>2122128
if all you're going to do is deflect then fuck off

Post proof or accept that 10 gallon tanks arent $10
>>
>>2122131
I have literally never spent more than $1 per gallon on a tank. You're obviously just trolling at this point, but I'll bite.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=petco+dollar+per+gallon+sale
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=petsmart+dollar+per+gallon+sale
>>
>>2122133
I stand corrected

Once a year on an unspecified date, you can get a 10 gallon tank for $10

For the rest of the year, they're $24-$34. In the meantime. A bowl still works fine
>>
>>2122136
>the rest of the year, they're $24-$34.
Or $15, which is Pestmart's normal price. Not to mention places like thrift stores or craigslist, and the fact that each of those big-box retailers has that sale a few times per year, at different times.

Little broke anon should have no difficulty at all getting a 10 gallon tank, which will make maintenance much easier and thereby prolong the life of his meme fish.
>>
>>2122136
its actually many multiple times a year, and lasts a few weeks.

on a side note, should you be really getting a pet while strapped for cash?
Once you get started youre gonna want wood and plants too...
>>
File: Screenshot_20160514-111851~01.png (782KB, 1080x1668px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160514-111851~01.png
782KB, 1080x1668px
>>2122105
>>2122110
>>2122131
>itt: broke-ass bitch flaunts irrational entitlement to ownership of living creatures

>>2122136
>For the rest of the year, they're $24-$34.
>and is also inexplicably retarded
>>
>>2122206
good luck ever finding that tank. Why dont you try searching your local area and seeing if ANY of the nearby stores have it in stock?

I'll wait
>>
>>2122105
Big chain pet stores often have $1 a gallon sales, so $10 for a 10 gallon tank. I know petsmart and petco do this, but in my area they will often do it at the same time to compete.
>>
>>2120939
>people
>>
>>2122211
>new development: broke-ass bitch's irrational entitlement dictates that waiting for stock is unreasonable and demands that all supplies be available at a whim
>>
>>2122136
Petco has had their dollar per gallon sale twice this year already
One was from dec-jan and the last one was end of march-may 2nd

I work at petsmart and we will price match especially now because corporate is telling us to babysit the customers and suck their dick even though they can't read.
Fucking petsmart shoppers are some of the dumbest people had this shit already happen
>what you mean this price tag say buy 1 parakeet get 1 bag of parakeet food 50% off
>i should get 1 parakeet and a 2nd parakeet 50% off because I'm illiterate
>>
>>2122211
oh yea Im this anon>>2122279
we have 3 of them at my store right now and we have a tier 2 store so its just barely bigger than a mall kiosk
We also do free shipping for instore pick up
Stop being a dumb nigger
>>
>>2122279
PetSmart's price match policy excludes Petco's $1 per gallon sale because they're not "identical products" (Petco sells Aqueon or Tetra brand tanks and PetSmart's are Great Choice).
Of course management at your store could be doing things their own way.

>>what you mean this price tag say buy 1 parakeet get 1 bag of parakeet food 50% off
>>i should get 1 parakeet and a 2nd parakeet 50% off because I'm illiterate
Shit I just had to deal with this yesterday.
>>
>>2122283
Its probably just my manager, shes told us to not even check for proof of competitive prices anymore and just go with it. Regardless $15 isn't going to break the bank and if it does you don't need to be buying pets.

The parakeet nonsense happened to me last week with some dumb half mexican girl who tried to play like she didnt speak english all that great when I showed her it was for food.
>>
>>2122245
8/10 deflection

what took you so long to get back? Couldnt find any?
>>
>>2122296
You were the one deflecting.
>okay, yeah, so you can get a cheap tank, b-but my store might not have it in stock so there!

>what took you so long to get back?
Talk about deflection. I don't live on 4chan, neckbeard.
>>
>>2122299
please. My statement was that you cant get a 10 gallon for $10 and that a bowl is fine

your link actually has nothing to do with my post. And those tanks are NEVER in stock. Seriously, go look for one. They dont even make to the shelves with how fast they go
>>
>>2122306
>My statement was that you cant get a 10 gallon for $10
>"you can if you wait and look around"
>What the fuck is that I'm entitled to a pet right the fuck now
>>shifting goalposts

>a bowl is fine
Debatable

>those tanks are NEVER in stock.
>>unprovable all-inclusive statements

>Seriously, go look for one.
If you want to talk about what I personally can and cannot buy, I can drive 20 minutes to an aquarium wholesaler and buy one of their several dozen ten gallon tanks for their regular price at $9.99.

You're the same autist who fucked up that other betta thread with "you can't buy a glass tank and filter for $20," huh?
>>
>>2122336

>>>shifting goalposts
>>2121627

>Debatable
feel free to debate it if you want but mine are fine in bowls

you still havent bothered to post proof that you have them for $10 in your area

and a bowl is cheaper than $10 at any rate and less hassle
>>
>>2122350
The goalposts shifted when you changed your argument from "You can't get a ten gallon tank for $10" to "I can't get a ten gallon tank for $10 nearby right at this moment."

>mine are fine in bowls
>>appeal to authority
>>anecdotal evidence

>you still havent bothered to post proof that you have them for $10 in your area
No evidence that they're $10 right now, but the dollar per gallon point was proof that they're available for $10 in my area unless you refuse to believe I live near a Petco or PetSmart.
>>
>>2122395
these >>2122206 are not $10

so none of those posts apply to you

>>>appeal to authority
>>>anecdotal evidence

spare me unless you can prove that a bowl is bad somehow

>but the dollar per gallon point was proof that they're available for $10 in my area
that isnt actually proof. I havent failed to note that you refuse to provide a link of an ad or anything at all to show that you can do what you claim to
>>
File: WP_20160501_019.jpg (2MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160501_019.jpg
2MB, 2592x1456px
Female bettas usually just get used to breed, so i decided to give her the best life i can afford <3
>>
>>2122400
It's a fact that if you pay more than 1$ a gallon you are, in every sense of the word, retarded.
>>
File: WP_20160303_119.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160303_119.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
Same female
>>
>>2122413
>in my area

damn son

perhaps this is a regional issue afterall, huh? Still dont see any proof from you. Clearly I never will
>>
File: image.gif (23KB, 485x150px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
23KB, 485x150px
>>2122400
>these >>2122206 are not $10
You're right. I was making a separate argument, that the cost difference between a bowl and a larger tank is minimal, because it was relevant to the original issue of an anon being "too poor to afford a Betta." Feel free to dismiss that if you must, though.

>spare me unless you can prove that a bowl is bad somehow
Temperature and water quality fluctuates in small bodies of water, ammonia builds up, large water changes are made necessary which cause even more fluctuations, Betta splendens are from Thailand where average winter low temperature is 79F.

>proof
>>
>>2122406
>>2122418
I have a soft spot for female Betta splendens. There's a yellow crowntail female at the PetSmart near me that I think is adorable, but I don't have room to set up more tanks.
>>
>>2122422
the point of using a bowl was to make keeping a betta 'as cheap as possible' adding a few more unnecessary dollars to the cost defeats the purpose

Temperature and water quality fluctuates in small bodies of water, ammonia builds up, large water changes are made necessary which cause even more fluctuations, Betta splendens are from Thailand where average winter low temperature is 79F.

So you can't keep a betta in a bowl if you're a retard? Surprise surprise. Water and temp fluctuations are minimal if you have an iota of foresight. I mean how hard is it to prep your changing water beforehand? How difficult is it to keep your bowl in a stable temp room? Temperature is only a problem if you live in some third world hut that doesnt have basic heating and cooling. If that is the OPs conditions then no, he should not have a fish
>>
>>2122425
I've been thinking in making a sorority in a 30gal tank. But I'm still not sure about it, i am scared of failing loosing fishes.
>>
>>2122429
You could make keeping any animal 'as cheap as possible' by sacrificing quality of care. People don't try and justify that with other animals, though.
>>
>>2122449
>by sacrificing quality of care

what part of that post is lacking quality of care?
>>
>>2122452
The part where you half-addressed half of the points made previously. And that's ignoring that the burden of proof was on you to begin with to show that a bowl is "fine" for a Betta.
>>
>>2122460

>So you can't keep a betta in a bowl if you're a retard? Surprise surprise. Water and temp fluctuations are minimal if you have an iota of foresight. I mean how hard is it to prep your changing water beforehand? How difficult is it to keep your bowl in a stable temp room? Temperature is only a problem if you live in some third world hut that doesnt have basic heating and cooling

what part of this do you object to? With these conditions met, in what OTHER ways will the fish die?

or are you just out of argument so you're ignoring what I wrote?
>>
>>2121627
What the fuck is with people buying the cheapest, bare minimum shit for their fish? Why aren't you aiming to give your fish the best quality of life possible? The aquarium hobby is expensive, don't get into it if you're a broke cunt.
>>
>>2122463
>With these conditions met,
you only addressed temperature, which is sadly not the only characteristic water has.
>>
>>2122768
read the chain of conversation next time

>>2122802
prepping the changing water includes conditioning it. As in dechlorinate and add bacteria a few hours before changing the tank water

what now are your objections since you never elaborate?
>>
>>2122858
>what now are your objections since you never elaborate?
that was my first post in this thread. you're still forgetting ph buffering and for a betta living in filth tannins and salinity would be nice. remind me again how it's easy to prep water for a change a few times a week?
>>
>>2122859
>ph buffering

yeah you're being ridiculous now and I already addressed salt levels. Dechlorinator; which are usually all-in-one conditions/neutralizers for water, Beneficial bacteria. Set the water aside for a few hours. Move your fish, wipe things down, replace water, replace fish. Do this twice a week. Done

Your betta doesnt care about your elitism or how exactly the water is. Throwing more money at it doesnt change anything as long as the owner is attentive

But go ahead and split hairs about whatever your next issue is
>>
>>2121627
Why even bother with the bowl? They come in a cup, and you probably have some kind of clear container already (mayonnaise jar, soda bottle).
Why bother with a bottle of water conditioner/food? In something so small a $1 sample size of those would last forever, or you could just use rain water and feed it ants for free.
Why bother with a betta? Goldfish are like 12 cents.
12 cents and you have yourself a pet.
>>
>>2122862
>Dechlorinator; which are usually all-in-one conditions/neutralizers for water, Beneficial bacteria.
What 2.99 water conditioner are you using that claims to contain beneficial bacteria?

And if you're suggesting that heating your entire house to keep a betta's bowl stable is the best way to make keeping one 'as cheap as possible,' that's unbelievably daft.
>>
>>2122863
all compelling points anon. If that dude wants a goldfish, he can get one but he seems to want a betta

>>2122866
>What 2.99 water conditioner are you using that claims to contain beneficial bacteria?

there's a comma right there

>And if you're suggesting that heating your entire house to keep a betta's bowl stable

I wasnt. Ive already gone over house heating and cooling here >>2122429

>daft
ah you're a britfag. I guess you cant control the temps in your house(flat). Not surprising that room temperature is a foreign concept to you but most people's living space is about 75f (23.8c)
>>
>>2122463
That isn't how it works. First you have to define "fine for a betta" using a qualified source, then show convincing evidence that a bowl fits.
>>
File: image.jpg (97KB, 704x724px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97KB, 704x724px
My pink betta Corinthians. He huddled up against my fake-ass plants
>>
>>2119479
his sister is blacked
>>
>>2122430
My friend set his sorority community tank up in december and only lost 1 fish since. You should do it.
>>
File: IMG_20160516_173539.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160516_173539.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
One of my coworkers is a dipshit that buys pets for her very young kids then gets huffy when her ten year old children can't take care of them, so she asked me if I could take a "baby betta" because she didn't want it anymore.
Little thing is in a lot better shape than I expected, she's hanging out in the shrimp cull tank and eatingeating live daphnia like a beast.
>>
>>2124485
Shrimp cull? what are you breeding?
>>
>>2122206
the tank is 10 bucks , but getting a filter , stand , heating , and hood is going to cost you more

stands alone that you buy are around 40 bucks
>>
>>2124485
You have to actually try to kill a betta for it to die. They are retarded easy to take care of.

I was just a kid(8) when I asked for my first couple of gold fish. They were just you cheap little feeders(no idea at the time) and I named them Joe and Mac(after the video game!), I had a little tiny fish tank for them that as a kids kit. Came with rocks, food, pump, and a couple fake plant.

I took care of this fish so fuckin good. I was fascinated by them. After a year my mom got me a 15 gallon tank and everything for it. Air Pumps, heater, stand, plants, rocks, backdrop, food, large filter, thermometer, everything!(almost... She said I could get a lot more fish for it and I was the happiest kid alive.

One day though I went to go feed them after school and I noticed joe was gone. I freaked out.I looked everywhere for him and I couldn't find him. A day later I was playing with my brother and I dropped some legos under the stand. I went to get them and I found poor Joe laying under the tank :(. You see, my tank didn't come with any kind of lid and since we didn't have any other pets at the time(just an old dog, Digger!). I didn't think a fish would be able to jump out of his tank. The water wasn't even all the way to the top.

I cried for days. We had a funeral for him and his little grave is still out side with a little tombstone and I feel like crying again now :( I will never love a fish as much as I did those two little guys.

Mac lived almost 10 years and made many new friends.
>>
>>2119512
>nigger spotted
>>
>>2119375
I have the one in bottom left
I used to have the one in bottom right but she died
I love thembso much
>>
>>2124493
Blue pearls, they are a bitch when it comes to maintaining their icy blue color.
>>
>>2124485
A ten year old is perfectly capable of caring for a pet. Or should be, anyway.
>>
File: IMG_20160518_1518276_rewind.jpg (597KB, 1088x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160518_1518276_rewind.jpg
597KB, 1088x1920px
Kinda sad they don't live that long, but they're quite pretty. Here's mine.
>>
>>2125008
Is this bait? I hope to god this is bait.
>>
>>2125010
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>2125015
Next time, you probably want to be a little more subtle with your bait. You can't just post a dead fish in a tiny ass jar and expect people to fall for it. Subtlety is the key, a good fisherman doesn't go all out from the start.
>>
>>2125020
>dead fish

it isnt dead. Look at the position of the fish in the jar. Its clearly in the curve

How stupid are you?
>>
>>2125050
I see a fish floating at the top of its tank, I assume it's a dead fish.
>>
>>2125052
that makes you a fucking moron then. How are you in a betta thread without knowing that betta are airbreathers?
>>
>>2125052
>guy makes post complaining about bait
>is in reality, posting bait

This is some meta shit.
>>
>>2123562

CUTE
>>
So how do you guys keep multiple males? If you have 3-4 male bettas do you have 3-4 10 gallon tanks around your house with a betta each in them?
>>
>>2125008
So how much water does that carry? They'd be even prettier if you kept them in the right conditions.
>>
>>2125080
>right conditions
I doubt he wants to have a mud puddle or rice paddie in his home.
>>
>>2125083
a rice paddie would be cool yard deco if not for the mosquitos
>>
>>2125075
Or five gallons, yeah. I have three females currently, two in their own five gallons and one in a ten gallon.
I'm not sure how else you would realistically keep them unless your a dipshit who keeps them in jars and cups because the Petco employee told you bettas live in puddles of oxen piss.
>>
>>2125087
I heard there was a species of fish from Thailand that eats mosquito larvae and does well in rice paddies.

I can't remember the name though.
>>
bettas are the shittiest fish

worse than goldfish
>>
>all of this bait
/an/ is hell
>>
>>2122418
Nice
What would you need to setup a tank for a beta? If anyone has written guides on planting a tank that'd also be great
>>
>>2125123
I don't know who's baiting who anymore.
>>
I fucking love bettas but I can't have one. My life is hell
>>
>>2120037
get a 5 gallon
>>
>>2120064
your mother is fucked up
>>
>>2121494
redneck fishkeeping
>>
>>2125122
fight me fucker
Thread posts: 147
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.