[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of snake is this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: unknown snek.jpg (192KB, 870x879px) Image search: [Google]
unknown snek.jpg
192KB, 870x879px
I live in Nashville, TN and this morning I found this tiny brown garden snake in my house. Very rarely do I find insects and vermin indoors so I was quite surprised. I coaxed it into a cardboard box and let it outside in the backyard.

Now I'm curious what kind of snake it was. I did a bunch of searching and the two likely candidates are a eastern corn snake or a milk snake, but the markings don't look quite right. The snake was about the thickness of a pencil and about 12 inches long.

Can anyone help me identify it?
>>
>>2110821
Not deadly, looks like a corn snake almost
>>
>>2110828
Thanks, I figured it was harmless since it was so small and didn't look like a copperhead or cottonmouth. At first it wasn't moving and I thought it might be dead, so I poked its tail with my finger and it moved suddenly. I have two cats in the house and didn't want them sniffing around at it though, so I scooped it up and dumped it in the grass.
>>
Nearly impossible to tell between a milk snake, corn snake, or ratsnake at that age unless you have a local expert on that particular genetic strain.

Basically, since milk snakes are a bit more rare and cornsnakes are just a red ratsnakes. I say it's a rat snake until proven otherwise.
>>
File: IMG_20160425_021359.jpg (61KB, 450x432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160425_021359.jpg
61KB, 450x432px
Here you go, for future ref
>>
File: 1435683812629.jpg (121KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1435683812629.jpg
121KB, 600x450px
>>2110821

Whoowhoo 615 represent. Spring Hill here.

... what?

Gray Rat Snake, my friend.
>>
>>2110849

http://www.tennsnakes.org/tn_ratsnake.htm
>>
>>2110849
Thanks, that must be it.
>>
>>2110842
>nonvenomous snake
>round pupil
>rounded head
Only in America, and even then the coral snake doesn't follow those rules, although they shouldn't exist in Tennessee.

And hognose bites, if they actually bite, can be mildly venomous and can cause swelling. I don't know how many other "harmless" snakes in the US fit in that category, but I'm guessing they're not alone..
>>
File: Heterodon nasicus nasicus.jpg (120KB, 1000x635px) Image search: [Google]
Heterodon nasicus nasicus.jpg
120KB, 1000x635px
>>2110895

hognose are only rear fang venomous though. so they have to get pretty deep on the bite for you to get any venom.
>>
You are right, it's a juvenile eastern rat snake. Venomous snakes usually are deadly as soon as they hatch, so the small factor isnt really relevant
>>
>>2110842
This low-key almost seems like some unverified knowledge a nigga will run off with thinking he an expert and actually get himself killed fuckin around.
>>
>>2111262
>tfw cousin went to pick up a coral snake while we were out fishing one day to show off to the girls
>told him to put it down because itll fucking kill his dumb ass
>he thinks im just being a wingman and trying to make him look better
>>
>>2111262

Agreed. There are so many exceptions to that illustration that the thing is useless and frankly dangerous information.
>>
>>2110895
>>2111287
It's meant for north america, and it works there. (With the exception of coral snakes, but you're retarded if you can't identify one of those.)

In any case you don't really even need to know how to ID snakes. If you see a snake, just don't fuck with it and you'll be fine.
>>
>>2111294
Exactly. How about we just not fuck with the beautiful creatures and we won't have to worry about venom or no venom. Lol. Imagine being a snakebro slithering along and one of those stomping hairless apes comes running up to you. You know they are violent and have a habit of turning your brethren into belts and boots. You have no arms or legs so your only option is to strike to defend yourself. Shit must be terrible for snakebros who encounter grabby humans.
>>
File: 13-23B_zps078bffcb.jpg (80KB, 480x371px) Image search: [Google]
13-23B_zps078bffcb.jpg
80KB, 480x371px
>>2110821
Juvenile black rat snake. I'd say maybe half a year old or so.
>>
>>2111388
Don't be discouraged if it ever shook it's tail. It thinks it's a Rattlesnake sometimes :)
>>
>>2110821
I was wondering about that head but remembered this
>pic related
>>
>>2110842
It's a good guide to follow if you want to end up dead.
>>
>>2112070
you'll end up dead either way.
>>
>>2112071
Thats why you free handle mambas I guess.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.